Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Looking forward to this game, it's kinda flown under the radar a bit for me which is perfectly fine. Dishonored 1 and 2 are great games, and mixing some of that with the deadspace/Bioshock/System Shock vibe has me pretty excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I was wondering when a game would copy Gmod prop-hunt for an ability.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MinibarMatchman posted:

Absolutely loved Dishonored 1+2 so I have total faith this game will own, it looks marvelous. Looks like the spiritual progeny of stuff like System Shock and Dead Space, maybe even Half-Life with the physics and weird powers at play (and GLOO gun.) That eye-device freaks me out so much, I loving hated that one eye "moment" in Dead Space 2.

My only wish is that they have their console and PC ports on lock and don't have to make fixes for a month like Dishonored 2, which wasn't perfectly optimized out the gate.

They're using the Crytek engine which has been around forever, and not the weird hybrid of IDTECH5/6 that they used for DH2 so hopefully that means it'll launch pretty smoothly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I'm honestly just going to skip the demo and get the game anyway. Would rather have the first hour or so unspoiled.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone know if the demo progress carries over to the full game?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
They never really fixed the input lag in DH2 so who knows if they'll actually fix it for release. I know totally different engines and all, whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

HenryEx posted:

Is that supposed to be Dishonored 2? Because i haven't encountered any input lag in 40 hours of playing.

You playing on PC or consoles? The input lag on PS4 is definitely noticeable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Honestly though, who gives a poo poo about the 2006 Prey. It was a mediocre shooter with some cool gimmicks at the time (woo portals).

I understand some people had a boner for the canceled Prey 2 that was floating around ~5 or 6 years ago, but it kinda sounds like that flag might be taken by that Cyberpunk game that CD Projekt is working on so whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Neogaf is loving trash.

I like the demo quite a bit. Input lag didn't seem any worse than Dishonored 2??

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Are you on Xbox or PS4?

Ps4

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Really liked the demo. Looking forward to the full game now!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MinibarMatchman posted:

after playing the rest of the demo I'm a bit less enthused due to how loving obnoxious mimics are. they move around like they are glitching and aiming at those fuckers is a pain in the rear end. The blaring music that plays when they're around was novel at first but by the end, I was getting fed up with it. I wish you could at least detect some of them because towards the end a lot of rooms amounted to "oh 5 of these guys show up have fun hammering the gloo gun"

I turned the music almost all the way down.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SoggyGravy posted:

I feel like I am missing the connection between you quoting me and your comment, I don't think you're being sarcastic but I'm not sure why you feel how you feel either, mind elaborating?

Something something PC Master Race something something

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Well, they're not wrong.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Has anyone explained why this game is called prey 2 and not space invader magic shooter game 38295?

They bought the name Prey, gotta use it man!!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I really didn't find the UI bad at all when I played the PS4 demo. Didn't even cross my mind.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Utnayan posted:

For me, the controller layout was wonky and I had severe input lag. Everything was floaty and it was difficult to target things, and / or interact with anything in the world. I fully admit I may be confusing that with the Full UI, but it's part of it.

Oh yeah, supposedly the input lag is fixed for launch on PS4. We'll see.

Anti-Hero posted:

I agree the UI has issues on console, but it looks really snappy on PC. I love that they have hot keys that make sense (F to loot, G to eat) and how the mouse operates as a cursor on computer terminals.

Funny enough, this IS the one thing I noticed that I didn't like. Of course, I'm playing on PS4 so moving around a virtual mouse pointer with your joystick is no fun.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

1stGear posted:

If the first passcode isn't something similar to 0451, no buy.

Pretty sure there's a safe in the demo somewhere with 0451 (at least that's what someone on reddit said).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Finished today at just over 20 hours. Really good game - enjoyed it a lot. Shame the patch for ps4 just hit today because I loaded it up with only ~45 minutes of game left to finish this afternoon. The controls seem fixed and sound mixing much better, so that's good.

Definitely will do another run through in a few months probably. The only Typhon powers I took for my playthrough was mimick 1 so I figure I'll delve hard into those next time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kraftwerk posted:

Did they ever explain why this happened?

Transtar doesn't want survivors shooting back down to earth and running their mouths off to people. Late in the game when Dahl arrives with his military operators, you can listen to a transcribe of your Dad (who's on the board of directors) authorize Dahl to recover all the top secret research and kill any survivors.

Ending question: Post credits scene: when your bro spins around your chair and shows you the picture of the Typhon hosed up Earth, is there any way/clues in the game to discern if that's real or if they're all still just loving with you for their agendas?

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Gadzuko posted:

Escape pod chat: In the emails it's "oops we just found out the parts for the pods suck and will fail" which implies that it was a mistake, because if that was the plan all along why would you tell some rando engineer about it? But then on the other hand it's clearly intentional because like other people said, they don't want any Typhon escaping. Maybe it was all Part of the Plan™.

So if you float outside and shoot over to one of the billboards, you'll find a guy dead all tangled up in some chords. He died while trying to hack the sign to change the message on it. If you finish his hack, the big rear end floating billboard will say "Escape Pods are fake"

SinineSiil posted:

That moving billboard in space that has some dead body stuck on and a terminal screen. What does that screen say? I can't read anything past Display Control because everything's shaking when I try to match my speed with the thing. Tried screenshotting but it comes out blurry too.

Read my spoiler above.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The thing about Bioshock's hacking mini game is that if you don't want to play it, you can just spend the money and bypass it. Which is, of course, what I did on subsequent playthroughs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GUI posted:

Talking about performance, is this game supposed to be choppy as hell on PS4? Digital Foundry says that it maintains a consistent 30FPS but I'm not seeing it. The intro area with the skyline, everything afterwards, the lobby, etc. - the game never hits 30 at any point, and spinning the camera around only makes it worse.

They hosed it up with the first major PS4 patch that hit ~2 weeks after launch. It was smooth before that; luckily I finished the game on the day that big patch hit so I never noticed it. Lots of people complaining on reddit about it though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

:lol: at the confused, frustrated notes from engineers that were trying to install Mimics disguised as electrical parts into various pieces of equipment, only for the Mimics to promptly get fried to a crisp by the current.

Yeah, this is great because there's also a storage room in that area that contains 6-8 Mimics disguised as various equipment that pop as soon as you try to pick any of them up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I originally wrote off the stungun for the first half of the game but God drat does it absolutely save your rear end when dealing with technopaths and Dahl's military operators.

Don't neglect it! Also, shove some upgrades in there. Not like weapon upgrade kits are rare anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Don't know why people are saying the time/money ran out for the ending. Probably much more likely that their vision/execution for it just didn't pan out how they thought it would.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Genocyber posted:

I was fine with the end of the game plot-wise. It's the gameplay stuff they hosed up. Way too much trecking through multiple areas which is killer on console. Those drat loading screens...

I don't mind the loading screens, but it was kinda disappointing that you've pretty much seen every enemy the game has to offer by the time you hit the Arboretum (besides Dahl's operators). Honestly for the last hour of the game I pretty much just bunny hopped/ran through all the different areas ignoring fights while I did the objectives.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Prey hit #5 on the NPD best sellers list for May, and that doesn't count digital sales (only physical) so I think it did just fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I never had a problem with the performance of DH2 on PS4. It chugged a bit during one or two of the scenes where Billie is driving the boat into a harbor but there's no action during those so whatever.

Also had no performance problems with Prey, but I finished the game before they hosed the performance on it. Which btw, they finally acknowledged that they're aware of and working on a fix for...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

axeil posted:

I just picked this up in the Steam sale and I am loving it. Quick question though, I seem to be getting my rear end kicked by everything. Anyone have any tips on combat? So far I mostly just try to get in a stealth shot and then unload a million silenced pistol bullets into the Typhon's face, but I'm starting to run low on ammo and materials.

I just finished up the Materials Lab and watched the full version of the Morgan video if that helps at all.

Just keep plugging away. The combat eventually gets pretty easy, about halfway through the game you can basically handle anything the game throws at you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Dahl's operator was actually on the exterior of the station on my first (and only) playthrough. Made for a pretty cool sequence.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
They finally patched the game and now it runs fine on ps4 again. I can finally start my second playthrough.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What hitches were there on ps4?

They hosed it up after one of the patches. Luckily I finished the game a few days before the bad patch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-prey-now-has-ps4-pro-support-and-ugly-stutter

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Grem posted:

Just now downloading this game on the PS4, anyone want to give me a quick run down on what I should know? Haven't played a FPS in years.

You're pretty weak for the first 1/4 of the game, don't be afraid to nope out of fights until you're strong enough. Otherwise, enjoy!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I didn't touch leverage in my first playthrough, but I figure I'll invest in it this time around because throwing things at phantoms sounds fun and cool.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

xiw posted:

I just used gloo + hacking 4, military operators like fighting other military operators a lot and you can just fly on past. Also watching them fight is a pretty light show.

The only way I know they respawn is by reading this thread - because it looks like if you just take over them all no new ones show up.

Yeah, them re-spawning really caught me by surprise when it happened. I saw one pop out of the machine and was like...son of a bitch.

Do they just re-spawn infinitely, or are they limited to the 3 per machine that operators normally are?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I didn't know/didn't have a high enough leverage skill to block them on my first playthrough. Jumping around the shuttle bay dodging and fighting those things was a real pain. Should be easier this time around.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Replaying the game, and got to GUTS. I've been following the plot provided path up until then, but since this is my second playthrough I decided to deviate from the normal path because why not?

After finding Dalton under the pipes, I decided to float down to the cargo bay because I never explored this area before. The fight with the weaver, technopath, and it's corrupted drones is loving brutal man. At one point I repaired some turrets that were sitting in a cargo container and floated them around to fight for me, and the technopath sucked them away like 80 feet down the GUTS hallway. A big ole "gently caress you!" as they whizzed past me at Mach 5.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TWIST FIST posted:

trying to make the turrents point the right direction in the guts is a huge pain in the rear end

Yeah, this is actually the reason why I eventually just floated them out there and deployed them. They started shooting, but one got destroyed pretty quickly when the weaver spawned the cysts and the other one got sucked up and away by the aforementioned technopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I just wound up null waving the Weaver and shotgunning him at point blank range. EMP grenades took care of the technopath/corrupted bots, but those were a little trickier.