Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Probably for them specifically, despite being pretty decent at single player FPS games I universally just get splattered all over the walls repeatedly whenever I touch a multi-player mode, so I've just stopped trying. I'm probably not alone in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Some games who implement the "simple" solution also manage to do so in a way that is so bad there are actually egregious balance issues at pretty much every level, especially the hard ones, because lots of devs somehow either make the higher difficulties result in things being easier somehow past the first ten minutes, or confuse "hard" with "tedious" and the harder difficulties just make things more boring instead of harder.

Both of those are also a problem in skyrim-style RPGs, and the general lesson I take away from those games consistently loving every conceivable way to implement adjustable difficulty is that most RPG developers are actually exceptionally bad at designing good gameplay and have a very poor understanding of what makes things difficult or easy (which might well be part of why they are choosing a genre where being exceptionally bad at that particular thing isn't usually all that big a deal on account of genre conventions being "make skill and difficulty irrelevant and replace it instead with time investment")

Although you're right that there are also a lot of folks who whine about "I picked the hardest difficulty and it was hard", and there's a reason why "only offer harder difficulties to players who demonstrate they can handle harder difficulties and otherwise don't point out its adjustable" is a pretty common addition to the formula.

I like the way Control does it, which is "one well-tuned difficulty level that's a little on the hard side, plus a zillion options that can be individually used to make it easier", ranging from small boosts to "you don't take damage anymore".

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 23, 2021

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

infraboy posted:

I wish the inventory was just a little bigger or at least let me use some Neuromods to make it so.

You get a “mule operator” you can summon that basically functions as extra inventory, and carries over to other characters in the same “run”. I didn’t realize this and ended up playing a noticeably more difficult game than was intended.