Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Reviving this thread to gush about how drat amazing this game is. I used to play games a lot, but kinda lost interest in the last few years, so I only even heard about Prey a couple of weeks ago.

The person recommending it compared it to System Shock, which was an immediate YES from me, but the absolutely amazing depth and quality of gameplay, combined with the insanely thorough forward planning to account for the player doing the unexpected, is loving unprecedented in my experience.

It took me a few goes to really get into it, but once I got the hang of the true openness of the gameplay, I couldn't stop playing - my save is at 40 plus hours and I'm dawdling because I really don't want to finish, and I know I'll be replaying soon, just to try out other ways of doing things.

It's been an absolute godsend in these weird lockdown times.

Also, as a former games QA person, can I raise an enormous glass to the QA team? - testing this beast must have been a huge challenge, and one which they met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a different genre but another game you might have missed is Disco Elysium. It's an RPG in the mold of Planescape Torment but without the D&D combat, so if you ever played and enjoyed that game you'll definitely love DE. It also anticipates and accounts for a lot of weird poo poo the player might do. It's also probably the best-written video game ever made. That said if it sounds like your jam I'd hold off a little bit as it has a director's cut version due out soon that's supposed to add a bunch of extra content and full voice acting for all of its considerable amount of text, which is currently only partially voiced.

There's also Dishonored 1 & 2, which are to Thief as Prey is to System Shock.

'Planescape without the dodgy combat' sounds absolutely magical, and yeah I love the Thief games, so thank you for the uncannily accurate recommends. I still get a brief dopamine hit whenever I hear the soft 'blung' noise when you steal something in a Thief game

It's one small side effect of this lovely pandemic that I'm rediscovering how much fun good games are. There have been so many AAA titles that are about 3 hours long and basically extremely shiny railshooters, that it's a joy and a relief to discover that some studios are still happy to put in the sheer WORK to make such incredibly rich games.

No one does this because it's more profitable, because it isn't; they do it because they want to make really bloody good games, and I salute them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Samopsa posted:

Man, if you've been out of games for a while there is so much stellar stuff to play. If you're a fan of immersive sims (like Prey, SS, Deus Ex, Thief) don't forget to check out the new Deus Ex games (Human Revolution & Mankind Divided) and the new HITMAN series (three parts, the 3rd has just been released, you can play all three games as modules in HITMAN 3). These games are the textbook definition of generous, rich games.

I'm really genuinely surprised, it felt like the period when big title games were willing to be '50+ hours of content/multiple playthrough to see everything'-style was long over, and I am so happy to be wrong about it
Thanks for the additional recommends, I'm pretty sure we already have Dishonoured 1 and 2 so I'm set up for the next month or so. I adored Deus Ex when it was new, and was extremely underwhelmed by the Xbox sequel, so knowing that the later sequels were better is awesome.

What got me back in to games was Bloodstained - I was told it was a new, proper Castlevania, and they were not lying. I just need to get less terrible with console controls - Im much more comfortable with mouse n keyboard, so a controller still feels really clunky to me. Just need to try harder.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so damm happy that there is all this gorgeous new content out there for so many amazing game series, that I'm not even cross that half life 3 never happened.

(I I spent 3 months testing halflife for the loving dreamcast, I even think I have a late build of it lying around somewhere, and it got goddamn cancelled just after 90% of the bugs got fixed in one big batch.)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phigs posted:

There honestly hasn't been a lot games like this over the years but coming to it having skipped the last few years definitely leaves you with a grip of really good games to come back to.

Imagine coming into the Hitman reboot series in Hitman 3? Just loading them all up into the one game and going through them fresh. Especially if you're someone who wants to go back and do all the challenges and whatnot without needing the episodic structure to force you.

This is literally where I am - I've never played the Hitman series but I am generally aware of their flexibility when it comes to fulfilling objectives. I have so many excellent games to get througg -I'm kind of glad I took such a long break, means I have years worth of brilliance to work through.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Antigravitas posted:

I hope you've played Tyranny, because holy poo poo is it a good game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/Tyranny/

It's very much like Torment in that it is absolutely groundbreaking in many ways but didn't sell too well in part because of bad marketing. You play a dignitary of a dictator that has conquered the world. You're sent to snuff out a rebellion, and the entire game is a meditation on power, how power corrupts, how people corrupt power, how power works in a dictatorship. How law can be unjust, how it can be twisted and subverted. How it corrupts you, the player and player character.

The entire cRPG revival has birthed a swathe of great games. Just a whole orgy of really well made games.

I'm playing Pillars of Eternity right now after not having played it for years. And I'm having the itch to play Tyranny again as well.

And in five years I'm going to play Prey again. Hopefully I will have forgotten most of it by then so I can experience it again…

I haven't played Tyranny, and from what I've just been reading, it sounds perfect.

I just checked, and I can hardly believe it, but I think the most recent RPG I have played is Diablo3, which I just got bored with. So I have about 8 years to catch up on...

Noita looks very interesting too - thanks everyone for all the recommends - it looks like I'm going to have a very long queue of great games to keep me occupied :D

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My pc is old and was never great, so I looked up Tyranny's system reqs on Can I Run it? and... no, too feeble :(

Bit disappointed, but still, lots else to play on the various consoles.

Anyway I mentioned it in passing at home, and was told, 'Tyranny? Oh yeah, I installed it a while ago, it runs perfectly reasonably'

!!!

Antigravitas posted:

Oh dear, so you missed the cRPG revival completely? Pillars of Eternity is the new Baldur's Gate, its sequel is the Baldur's Gate 2 analogue. Then there's Shadowrun: Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong., which are shorter and more focused but really well made.

If old school but modernised cRPGs are your jam at all you'll need another pandemic to play through them all.

They are entirely my jam, I'm ludicrously excited by all this, it's like the Christmas when I first got Neverwinter Nights - it and its expansions kept me occupied for the best part of a year. I think I still have my character saved from NWN - I used to email it+my saved games back and forth between home/work so I could get a bit of sneaky playtime in the office.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So I just finished Prey - ended up with a near 60 hour playthrough and, I went from not wanting it to end, to hurrying along to get it over with. :(

No question, it's an almost entirely brilliant piece of work, but the last section was just plain tedious. I'm glad I read no spoilers, because if I'd know the gameplay would get so shite at the end, I wouldn't have enjoyed the rest so much. I just spent the last 2 hours having about 2 minutes of gameplay followed by 45 seconds of loading screen, over and over and over again.

I'm spoilering the above in case anyone, who, like me knew nothing about this game stumbles across this thread.

Do not read the above if you know nothing about Prey and want to play it!!!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The enemy I found most unnerving were the poltergeists - weird muttering, thudding footsteps, and the anxiety of trying to hide from something you can't see.

I met the nightmare for the first time in the crew quarters - just as the level loaded, I had switched sources on my monitor so I got a single glimpse of this enormous screaming horror rushing at me before I was looking at my desktop.
That was extremely startling, since I'd gotten a bit blasé about immediate beginnings of new areas. Up to that point, I'd always arrived in a 'safe' place.
I also really appreciated the very few times Prey went for scripted jump scares, they are fine in moderation, but they get a bit wearing after a while.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Not at all Prey related, but my rediscovered love of games has now resulted in me setting up a nice big tv and a ps3 for entirely my own use. Got a very healthy back catalogue to work through too. Got a bunch of Fallouts, all the Dead Spaces, Deus Exs, Mass Effects and Dishonoured, of course.

I just need to get better at console controls dammit! I know I've bitched about it before, but it's just so frustrating to feel so clumsy all the time.

(I also started a new game+ of prey because despite everything, I still love it very much)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Calling back to this thread to say that I've switched to an xbox 360 because my ps3 controller is a bit fucky. Played the 360 thief all day only to have it reinforced over and over again that it is 100% dogshit.
Gave up on this horrible crime against thief games and decided to play something better.
Gonna play Deadly Premonition.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I could have sworn I'd already played this but I definitely haven't, so thanks!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jan posted:

Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows) or Thief 4? Both were released on the 360. :shrug:

The former has at least one redeeming quality of being a delivery mechanism for The Shalebridge Cradle. Considering the thread just touched on the subject of horror games, that's one example that leans pretty heavily into spooky horror tropes but manages to do it well.

The latter... Well, as much as I'd never turn down more Thief, I never did reach the end of that "What if Thief, but with Uncharted level design??" experiment.

I love Deadly Shadows, never knew it came out on me 360, I played it on the old xbox and on pc. Yeah, the cradle was a real highpoint.

No the bad Thief I am talking about is the newer one, the one where it looks like the city is full of interesting climbable ledges and crates but oh, no, you can't actually climb most of them, only the ones the devs think you ought to. Just after playing Dishonoured, it was extremely disappointing to find out how very limited your 'free movement' options in Thief are.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I will never play a game that puts me under timer stress constantly, no goddamn way. I like to potter about and find interesting junk in corners.
Anyhoo, in 'catching up in a decade+ of missed innovation', I finally finished Bioshock (better than I remembered), gave up on BS2 (grubby and depressing), and have switched to the Mass Effect series.
I have to start with ME 1 because I hear Wrex is dead by default if you start with ME2 and gently caress that poo poo. Goodness, but the menus in ME1 look so dated
I lost my ME1 finished save a long long time ago, but have discovered today that my playthrough is long enough ago for all the Citadel stuff at the start not to be intolerably boring.
Also got Dishonored 2 and Torment on the go for ps4.
I haven't had this much fun with games for a decade, it's deadly!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you bounced off of Bioshock 2, give the Minerva's Den DLC a try before you move on completely. It's a short, self-contained and poignant story that condenses all the best parts of Bioshock 2 into only a few hours of gameplay. And 2 has the best gameplay of the entire Bioshock series.

Thanks for the recommend :) On reflection, I think I was just a bit burned out on the whole Bioshock atmosphere/style. I'll definitely be coming back to it after a break.
Just replayed Mass Effect pretty completely, largely just to make sure my carryover character would be decent. ME was still fun, though there are definitely a good many flaws.
I'm about 4 hours into ME 2 and am enjoying it muchly. Its similar to the first to feel like a continuous theme but different enough to be interesting.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hannibal Rex posted:

You do know that a complete remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy is being released in a couple of months, right?

I did not know that, but it's fine - as I said, I've been out of gaming for so long that even PS3 games look very shiny and good to me :blush: . I'm loving ME2 so far - the gameplay is suprisingly varied, as are the team members. Currently I'm sticking with Katsumi for sneak kills, and Jack for flinging off cliff kills. I'm sniping everything in sight, it's great.
I'm back on PS3 since my brother took the controller to bits and fixed the problem - it was the thing with the little black foam strip getting too thin to prevent ghost button presses.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Think imma start a new game of Prey now. Just did Fallout New Vegas (excellent) and Far cry 3 (awesome, except for the entire plot), so I think I'm ready to revisit Prey.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just played Prey for the first time a month or so ago, and one very important thing I didn't realise for a couple of hours, was the importance of thinking three-dimensionally and thinking laterally. Stairs and ladders aren't the only way to change floor level.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Entropic posted:

On my first full play through I once spent way too long trying to make a hard jump to get at a high vent before remembering I had the GLOO gun.

Exactly. I spent faaar too long forgetting about the gloo gun.
Also that coffee cups are really small.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hey! I was trying to hint about the mystical powers of coffee cups without coming out and actually saying that using the ability to turn into a coffee cup constituted one of the most enjoyable parts of my original playthrough

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

After bitching about the endgame of Prey a few months ago, I did a replay just now, and I think the secret for a not irritating endgame is to resolve as many sidequests as possible before the environment gets extremely weird. The second playthrough was actually 99% fun, as opposed to 85% with the the original.
Also go super Typhon neuromod, it's fuckin hilarious.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I played Prey for the first time back in February this year and was 90% blown away/10% disappointed, but since then I've replayed fully once about a month ago and have started a third playthrough in the last few days - it's just such a different experience playing when you know how things will turn out and also starting out with shitloads of neuromods. Second playthrough turned out to be better than the first.
I'm having SO MUCH FUN.

(been playing a hell of a lot of other stuff in the mean time and man, I'm so glad to have come back to games after a long-rear end break. I even revived my extremely ancient xbox to play KOTOR and Thief: Deadly Shadows)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I posted in this thread back in... February? because Prey was pretty much the first game I'd played after a 10+ year hiatus from playing games. I adored 90% of it, and was extremely meh about 10%.
Since then, I've replayed it twice (in between playing a lot of other stuff) and I'm much less critical now of the things I originally disliked. Also, mindjack is an incredibly fun power - I assumed it was human-only, because it's description specified 'biological' and the Typhon seemed much weirder, but it absolutely works on them, so you can set off crazy fights between them and just pick up the debris afterwards.
I will 100% replay again, it's just a really REALLY good game.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I honestly don't know where to put this since I revived this thread to talk about how Prey reawakened my 10 year dormant gaming thing. Anyway I finally got ps3 Skyrim a few weeks ago after a lot of back and forth because I loving hate Oblivion because it is so so boring and sleepy.

And I really like it, I put off trying Skyrim because I hated oblivion so much, but I saw it going for 6 quid for ps3 so what the hell. Skyrim is great, its way better that oblivion.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Guillermus posted:

Holy poo poo, playing Skyrim on a PS3 is a pain but if you're having a good time... what the hell, keep going. (I love Skyrim)

I googled it about a day after getting it and was expecting it to be complete dogshit, but apparently they fixed the 6mb + save issue about 2 months after release, so the ps3 version is basically fine. My save is way over that and everything is OK. My horse wants to fight everything but hey, he's grumpy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I first posted in this thread nearly a year ago about how I'd gotten back into games after about a 10 year hiatus.
Prey was one of the first games I played and it was so amazing (with some issues), that I went from being a very very occasional console game-player, to setting up a ps3/360 in my beeroom, to finally getting getting my own dang ps4 (90% paid for with old game trade-ins, which was awesome) and a load of great games for Christmas.

drat, but do I love games again :)

Imagine how amazed I was to discover that there are loving MODS in PS4 Skyrim????
Mods, in a console game?!?!?!?!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hey, just FYI Prey digital deluxe edition is 11.99 on euro psn at the moment, down from 39.99 gonna buy it myself tomorrow.
I originally played Prey on someone else's ps4 and its solidly a good enough game that I'll buy it to play on my own console.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just started a brand-new playthrough, and, man I had forgotten what Prey is like at that stage.
My last two goes were new game +, so I got all the crazy weird powers fairly fast. It was super fun, but you do lose any sense of being in danger.
Prey when you only have a few basic powers is stressful

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Prey is an exceptionally good game.
I posted here about a year ago because I started playing prey after a 10 year gaming hiatus, and I was so surprised that games weren't 100% 3 hours of super shiny triple A bullshit like they were when I left the toxic game industry.
Just did my third replay and its still an awesome game.
The latest was a vanilla playthrough, so the beginning was scary hard. I love the fact that you can go pretty much anywhere from the start, so that even in a plain new game you can visit areas out of order and pick up quests in all sorts of ways. It makes the game so much more interesting and flexible..

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Come on, torching poltergeists with that flame attack was extremely satisfying.

Edit: also I just today finished Alien: Isolation, and holy gently caress I will never complain about late game Prey ever again. A:I is a really good game for the first 50%, then it is insanely dull, repetitive, predictable and stupid

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 7, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RE: Prey - I am still in awe of how coherent the layout of the space station is.
It's a surprisingly unusual thing I find. I just played Alien: Isolation for the first time, and while the overall aesthetic is amazingly good at capturing the look and feel of the Nostromo, I never knew where the hell I was relative to anywhere else in the station. I could barely tell if I was in a new area or revisiting somewhere I'd been 5 times before.

In Prey, I can still visualize how to get from one area to another without reference to a map, (except in the extremely confusing GUTS), and it's been months since my last playthrough.

It just feels like a real place. :unsmith:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

KillHour posted:

I saw a dev interview where they said there's only one part of the interior that wouldn't fit inside the exterior and they only did it because it would be impractical to do, but the rest of the station fits together correctly.

It's weird how we can apparently intuitively know if a linked set of spaces make sense or not. I mean, you'd think that because you have to load between areas, the natural connection between one room and another would be lost, but apparently it's not.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I came back to games after a giant, near 20 year hiatus and the one studio I know I can rely on for a really solidly made game is Arkane. I used to work in games dev back in the day, and the work they put into making a game work no matter how you choose to play it is astonishingly good.
There are no obvious bottlenecks; if you want to do a thing and if you can make it happen, the game will accommodate.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Started that first Deus Ex game and it became impossible to put down. What a classic, sort of thing that makes you think about how old it is while playing it and how incredible it must have been at the time. I'm about to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution now, and then the next one. After doing those and Dishonored it should be interesting playing Prey again.

I'm old enough to have played Deux Ex when it was new, and yeah, it really was astonishingly good.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Can someone please explain this to me?
I've played through Prey at least three times and I still have no idea what is going on in this clip.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you mimic a toilet paper roll and jump into the bowl, a Poltergeist will spawn and flush it.

That is just so drat tidy :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I never tried dishonored because I thought it would be more assassin's Creed Ubisoft like for some reason.

This thread reminded me I really liked 2006's Dark Messiah : Might and Magic which is apparently by Arcane
It was ahead of it's time and parts made my jaw drop.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love the Dishonored series, and, while I've only tried one Assassin's Creed (can't remember which one), I hated almost everything about it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So I've been replaying Prey for at least the 6th time, and I've realised a couple of things I never noticed before (I am dumb)
The cook you meet in Crew quarters who asks you to collect something for him?
the extremely obvious fake 'Will Mitchell', who, for some reason, wants the real WMs award from his room. Well, duh, the fake just realised who you are and is sending you away for long enough from him to set up a trap

Another detail, down near the power plant, you find a dead person near a broken component, you listen to her transcribe, and she says the drat thing just melted when she installed it an email further on in the area mentions that when it melted it smelled like burning organic matter, ergo it was a bloody mimic

Game's not perfect, but the level of thought that went in to so much of it is simply glorious.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 4, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Serephina posted:

That first spoiler is a forehead-slap moment, I'm pretty sure it shoulda been obvious almost instantly in hindsight. Forearmed with the knowledge of what's gonna happen thanks to quicksaves, you can mess with the 'ambush', kind of like a competition of forward planning. Which is the ongoing theme from then onwards, I love it.

That being said I'm sure I missed a dozen other even more obvious things -_-

Yeah, in my first play-through, I didn't spot it either , even though it should be incredibly obvious going by the various transcribes you find all over the crew quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hwurmp posted:

I forget, is it possible to go into the testing with NG+ psi powers and actually succeed?

No, you don't get your powers back until you reach your office, however you can return to the testing suite once you have the right powers, retake the test and get some bonus neuromods :)