Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm 11 hours into this game and my only real complaints are that it's trying very, very hard to seem scary without actually being scary, and I can't have the space helmet on at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fuligin posted:

Just picked this up from the sale, had a few questions that I didn't see mentioned in the OP. Is Hard the actual "normal" difficulty (in the sense that you will be challenged to use all your abilities and junk), or is it obnoxious bullshit? Any relevant mods to improve the experience or should I go in clean?

Granted, I have not beaten the game yet, but I think that hard is pretty well balanced some 20 hours in. The way that I approach situations has shifted dramatically from when I started playing as my level of mobility and flexibility has drastically increased, but if I'm not being fairly cautious single enemies can still kill me and I end up burning through tons of resources. It's also been nice that as my individual power has increased scarcity has begun becoming more and more of a problem as the amount of resources on the station are being depleted. While I can brute force my way through pretty much any situation it's now pretty important that I try to conserve items and resources as much as possible.

Overall I'd say that this is probably one of the most well done progression and difficulty curves that I've seen in a recent game - going back to older areas with tons of new abilities and seeing the environment in a totally different way is great.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The sound mixing is totally hosed in this game. The biggest thing I notice early is that janitor lady in the hallway in the tutorial level- her voice is so loud it almost sounds like it's overdriving my speakers.

Some of the dialogue is way too loud, but at the same time a huge amount of dialogue sounds like the compression got absolutely hosed up.

I also don't get why they didn't make a push to include positional audio in their game about navigating 3D zero G or highly vertical environments. Directional works fine for the majority of games, but it really falls flat here.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KirbyKhan posted:

I started off as a human mod only run. The way the ammo and resource management in this game really gripped me. I always managed to run REAL close to running out of pistol and shotgun ammo before running into a new fabricator. Yes, I COULD have used all the mineral blocks on neuromods if I used the wrench more often. No, I WON'T because I'm a big ol scaredy baby who needs more bullets than the national guard before I enter the next room filled with coffee cups and phantoms.

Fantastic balance!

Yeah the balance of the progression and scarcity has really impressed me, this is probably the best I've ever seen it implemented in a game. There's a great transition from focusing on just being able to deal with individual enemies to focusing on having the necessary materials and resources to continue progressing. Despite being crazy powerful compared to where I started I still don't feel particularly overpowered because I just don't have the resources to go completely ham like a regular FPS.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty surprised by people saying that the last 20% or so of the game is bad and acting like it was a huge slog. The large number of choices with very little combat weren't much of a problem because I was able to run through everything pretty much completely fine. It took me maybe an hour to finish the game after the blackbox operators showed up, and I kind of appreciated things escalating so much that just sprinting from point to point felt pretty well paced.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah I did the personnel tracker thing too. He just doesn't light up for me. :(

Make sure you don't have the personnel tracker disabled in your objectives screen.

Sardonik posted:

Did anybody else get the impression by the ending that the people who were operators in the ending were active participants in the simulation, rather than just watching simulated versions of themselves? After the fact it felt like a lot of the dialog, particularly from January was written as if they have full knowledge of how things turn out. If so, that's really impressive how consistent they made everything. At any rate, I think it's kind of fascinating that here we have a game that in a sense knows it's a game, and sets up the characters in the game to comment on the game player's actions and search them for meaning in the context of a game/player relationship.

January refers to the Apex as the Apex regardless of if you scan it or anything, which I think is one of the biggest tipping of the cards as to her having foreknowledge.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It initially really bothered me that none of the emails had any dates, but in the context of the game being a simulation to test the actions of a human/typhon hybrid it makes a lot of sense. The order of events and information that you're given make everything ambiguous enough that the identity of the original Morgan is impossible to really know. Different characters give different takes on what Morgan was originally like (most of whom were taking part in the simulation), and the audio logs and emails you can read imply that neuromod fuckery makes it very easy to brainwash people. You have no real way of knowing the actual order of events, and which were the result of what. Pretty cool really, and the whole theme of dealing with the actions of past incarnations makes me feel like this game is a nice spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.

Rinkles posted:

The loading screens make it more painful than it would otherwise have been.

I guess I made a good choice in installing it on an SSD.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rabidsquid posted:

i had the personal tracker from the security station enabled the entire time and it just shut off when i went into space too, had to look it up online

You can actually toggle quest/personnel location markers in the objectives menu. The personnel tracker and the quest objective marker look almost identical, so if it looks like it disappears when you go into space it could very likely be the location marker for the personnel tracker being turned off. That happened to me and it took me a decent amount of head scratching to realize what was going on.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 5, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

So I realized after the fact that I had one fairly big question that either was never answered, or whose answer I never noticed:
How did the typhon actually break containment? When we see Bellamy attacked they've already been loose for a while, spreading, as evidenced by various emails. But I don't know I ever saw exactly why it happened in the first place, or what caused it, especially with all the safeguards in place. In any disaster/containment breach setting that's usually a significant plot point. Obviously it started in Psychotronics, since that's where they were being kept to begin with, but I wasn't clear.

Actually, for that matter, why did Alex lock you in the simulation? You went in willingly and there were certain safeguards, but then he just threw those out the window and never even addresses that ever. It's weird that in all his pleading and pep talks to you he never even mentions taking away your reorientations between tests, or why he felt the need to turn you into a rat in a wheel. I feel like if he'd at least tried to explain that I might've been more ready to listen to him off the bat.

One of the scientists in psychotronics is mind jacked by a telepath during a test and then proceeds to let at least one mimick out of containment. I believe that he's the one you can find in the trauma center.

As for why Alex keeps Morgan in the simulation, as the tests begin progressing Morgan becomes more and more erratic between trials. Morgan starts building October through January, steals Alex's escape pod key, befuddles and upsets the crew, etc. To confound matters, very few people are aware that neuromods can be removed, and probably fewer that removal causes memory loss, so as a result Alex decides to just keep Morgan in the simulation.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, awesome. I must have missed the relevant text on that.

You probably missed a lot of things because, if you're like me, you never found out that you can shoot powered down computers with the stun gun to turn them back on.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

That doesn't work (or make much sense).

Unless I was hitting the wrong area, I tried it all over the station to no results.

From what I've read this only works in areas where the power is turned on but the computer is still off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

Do you have a specific location? Pretty sure I tried it in powered areas (like Deep Storage).

It works in Fabrication in Neuromod. My gun has fully upgraded damage, so maybe that's the difference?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

That would be a silly requirement, though I did fully upgrade about half way through. I'll check it out.

I'm not sure what else would determine when it does and doesn't work, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrbengOz6Q

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The attention to detail in this game is amazing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

On the subject of characters not tracking through the security stations, I forgot that unless you progress certain quests far enough some of them will be labeled as being in "unknown" and as a result won't be able to be tracked at all.

E: I just found out that explosive canisters can black otherwise unmovable objects around. I can't believe that I hadn't thought to try that, other games have really ruined me.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 5, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Schneider Inside Her posted:

If you had any respect at all for the medium of videogames you would keep paying Arkane to make them. I reckon they're at the top of the game at the moment

I think that this game is going to benefit from the fact that it really is very good so it should continue to sell copies even a ways out after release.

Bust Rodd posted:

I sort of assumed through different audio logs that the very first breach was likely a psychics ethereal phenomena. One of Calvino's looking glass visions or Morgan's dreams could be a strong enough psychic tether to pull a Typhon into our dimension. We have no concept of how they move through space without propulsion, but in as far as we know they seem to be life forms based off of psionic energy.

Here's a trailer that goes over the backstory of Talos 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXgarefKupc

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Atoramos posted:

The first encounter with the Typhon is shown in-game on a video screen as an astronaut gets mauled by a passing mimic.

Also I'm still pissed that the game spoiled itself for me. Earlier on, maybe in Psychotronics, you see a note that explicitly discusses the possibility of putting human neurons into Typhon and running it through a sim until it interacted correctly with the humans. The note goes on to speculate they would need a volunteer for this, and that Morgan was particularly keen on this experiment. I immediately assumed that's what was happening for the remainder of the game and welp. Also, the game kept going back-and-forth about the status of Earth. Many characters refer to evacuations and crisis Earthside so for the majority of the game I was under the impression Earth was already hosed up and January was just flat-out wrong. Then I hear most people think Morgan went Earthside, I ended up getting the December 'ending', the constant flashes of Alex and being told they're lying to you... I feel like I would have enjoyed the ending if I wasn't expecting it literally from the very start.

They play this up in other ways, too. For example, one of the books is Good Cop/Good Cop, which says in part that

quote:

It is important to note that the majority of suspects want to talk. Let them. Provide some prompts, but only to keep the words flowing. Do not attempt to direct them, but just keep them talking. My experience - and case-studies back this - has been that most people will move toward the information you want to know if you just listen to them and reaffirm their assumptions when they need it.

There's also Engineering Control Systems

quote:

There's a metaphor here, you know. Typically, the objective of control theory is to monitor the output of a system and compare it with the desired output (the reference signal). The difference between the actual and the desired outputs (the error signal) is applied as feedback to the input of the system, to bring the actual output closer to the reference. Good control systems - and good engineers - learn from the past.

The fact that I was able to figure out the gist of the ending pretty early into the game was actually one of the things I enjoyed the most about it.

Atoramos posted:

Also I do think the explanation for the initial breech is in-game They do talk a shitload about telepaths mind controlling people and having them release mimics. iirc the guy that caused it is the same one you find locked up that blows up if you open the door for him.

They confirm that this is what happened. The guy in medical forgot to put down is psychoscope. This is also the email where the writer muses about forcing Typhon to empathize with humans.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Atoramos posted:

Yea I just don't feel this way having made the same connection you did above. I noticed both books and immediately understood the context but I was hoping for the story to go somewhere else, and that the ending I had figured out was intended to be only what you think is going to happen, because it was so obvious and spelled out. This and this are fairly early in the game, and came off as sloppy writing; not because I have an objection to the "It was all a simulation" ending, but because I only realized in retrospect it was meant to be a twist at all, and a number of friends explicitly hadn't read those notes or figured things out. Add in that the same was true of the status of Earth, and the entire ending really fell flat for me.

Really just remove that email and transcribe from the game and I would have been pretty happy all things considered. Great game but I don't understand why they're necessary.

I don't think that it was supposed to be a twist, you can get the bad ending and find out pretty early into the game, all things considered.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

I really hope the new System Shock isn't art deco, because then we'll have had a solid 10 year runs of art deco submarines/spaceships hybrid shooters.

I'm not sure why they went with Art Deco, the station should have been brutalist, given the timeline.

Rinkles posted:

Not that it's absolving, but Alex admits to being a dick during the post credits ending, iirc.

Morgan had already wanted to stop any further experiments with the Typhon before they started the neuromod removal tests, but that got veto'd.

Prav posted:

i rolled my eyes a bit when i first saw the talos lobby, to be honest

or maybe it was at the tape decks before that. either way.

The tape decks at least make sense, the station itself was laid down in the 60's so it would make sense for them to still have a lot of pretty ancient systems laying around.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 7, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

Much as I adore some good Brutalism, it comes from béton brut, French for bare concrete; and I'm inclined to agree with the namer that concrete or at least breezeblock is necessary for the look to really work. Would be a bit strange to have a space station made of concrete, given its heavy, porous nature.

Realistically I think they went with deco because it looks nice and isn't that hard to make, and tends to already be associated with retrofuturism thanks to properties like Bioshock, Fallout, etc. I think a different look might have been better suited to the game, but with that said I think the environment was very nicely executed.

I mean they were willing to install marble floors in the lobby, I don't think that concrete would have been much of an issue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

I think there's a lot of possible interpretations to run towards the ending and while it's inevitable some people will see it coming, I don't think that makes it a bad ending.
Me personally, I had a different theory going forward. I too was thinking we might not be the "real" Morgan for a long time, especially with the pre-recorded messages and January being so insistent to remind you to blow the station at every turn. But the direction I was going was that we were a robot experiencing this in the present, not a typhon in a simulation. Early on there were several books about mimicking speech patterns (as January does, and as we do with Sho to get into Deep Storage), and the aforementioned book about feedback systems to correct data and behavior. Like other posters I assumed they'd given the game away early, but I thought it was to a different end. When they mentioned that robot some rich old guy was replacing himself with and giving his power of attorney to, who had his voice and behavior, I thought for sure it was heavy foreshadowing. For a long time you don't even meet with anyone in person who'd be able to recognize you, until around the time you save Rani at the Arboretum greenhouse. That coupled with no working mirrors made me think we were some android to replace Morgan.
I also suspected that the entire "video message to self" in the Looking Glass could have been fabricated -- I don't know the CG effect limitations of this world so how would I know if that was real and not a voice-synthesized "me" going "no yeah totally trust January it's cool"? There were more "hints" to suggest I was on the right track, like with the cover story of Morgan being earthside. The initial and obvious conclusion is that this is just a coverup to excuse Morgan being trapped in the simulation, but what it made me wonder if maybe the twist was that Alex was actually telling the truth, and at some point the real Morgan would come back to the station and confront me. I was pretty excited for that possibility.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of clues to the ending, but there's also a lot of things that people might falsely assume are clues and go off in the wrong direction. Not quite red herrings, but still, it's easy to assume the game spells it all out when the one theory you caught onto was the right one. Now obviously maybe I'm just dumb and unobservant, but I was pretty convinced of my theory right up until I wasn't.

My theory was that the game was taking place during the process of recreating Morgan's memories and experiences aboard Talos 1 through a simulation in order to create neuromods for fighting the Typhon. The skill recorder room in Neuromods makes it seem as though an individual needs to actively be performing whatever skill while its being recorded, so I figured it was just a very elaborate implementation of that. I definitely did not see the Typhon/human hybrid morality imprinting coming.

Rinkles posted:

"Eradicator auto turrets. Transtar's last ditch defense against an outbreak. [...] Shouldn't be a problem for you. [ PREGNANT PAUSE ] Since you're not an alien."

Sometimes I got the impression January and some of the people you meet were knowing actors in the simulation.

One of the in game books implies that they definitely are.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There are actually three outcomes of that ending scene, with one of them being mutually exclusive with the two choices. The operators can recommend killing the hybrid, so the player is never given a choice. The kill option, meanwhile, assumes that the hybrid figured out that they were in a simulation, and knows that it is and mostly still is a Typhon, before the end and only played along in order to escape. That's why the huge amounts of foreknowledge is important.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

I've looked up a bunch of "all endings" videos on youtube and still have never seen this one, despite hearing about it. Weird that everyone making these videos seems to omit it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UCgK8Z3Wngg

Just skip to the last 60 or so seconds.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HenryEx posted:

I mean the whole game is literally just a game to the player.

Woah

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

People got tunnelvisioned exactly because people do get invested in fiction despite knowing it's not real. (Psychotronics and the bad end make it hard not to figure out it's a simulation)

My problem was mostly with the end choice, not the end twist. It kinda felt like a betrayal of the game's design ethos (simplistic binary choice out of nowhere), but I get that that might be intentional to make the point blunt.

e:Alternatively, the choice illustrates a lot by how it doesn't register as meaningful (contrary to the game proper).

It's completely, entirely in line with the rest of the game and it the game would have been worse without it. I won't argue that it could have been implemented much better, though.

One of the major themes, maybe the biggest theme, is that you have no idea if people are telling you the truth about who you are. Alex and January both give you incredibly contradictory pictutes, and your own character does as well, and you're led to believe that one or both of them are lying. The end drives home the point that none of the other characters know who Morgan is, either, and that you can lie to and manipulate them as well.

The game could have benefitted from giving the character who talks about this more than three lines.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 9, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grab the stun gun and go hog wild.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Maybe it worked and more Typhon came anyway

This was my thought as well, and why I thought that January was pretty naive. They encountered a single mimic during the Verona 1 incident, and they have absolutely no way of knowing how many more Typhon exist in the solar system or throughout the rest of space. Keeping Talos 1 alive and developing Neuromods to fight the Typhon and whatever other aliens may exist seems like the best decision.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey, i think humanity is doing pretty good for handling it's first Outside Context Problem when they have barely left Terra's gravity well.

Yeah, pretty much at no time throughout the game did I feel like the situation had really gotten out of hand. Even with the Apex eating the station.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, I don't think that there's any on station communications device. Every mention of communicating with earth involves physically going there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is it ever explained why they can't just use cattle or something to create neuromods?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ravenfood posted:

I don't remember seeing anywhere that Typhon eat anything besides people's psyches, but maybe you could use cows to create neuromods for cows. The Typhon are just too connected to neuropsychic stuff to be eating just the meat portions of people.

I don't think it ever says that the Typhon actually has to kill a human to get usable exotic materials, and presumably the mimic encountered during the Verona 1 incident wasn't made with a human. From what I understand only Mimics, Phantoms and Weavers require human bodies to make.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I would argue that the drive of life as we know it is to reproduce and propagate, not to survive. There are plenty of species on earth where adults die at the cost of reproduction.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

I'm confused why people recommended the G.L.U.E. gun to use against cysts (I'm aware of the best two ways to take them out already, thanks). Covering the nest doesn't seem to do anything when the mines spawn and taking all of the moving cysts requires quite a bit of ammo because of their erratic speed. Now granted we get drowned in glue ammo but I still don't see the appeal.

It really is just the abundance of ammo. The real pro play for dealing with Cystoids is to throw things at them since they only perceive movement.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gadzuko posted:

I find gloo to be easier than any other method against cysts, especially in the GUTS. It usually takes several darts or throws to get all of them and it's a lot faster to just spray a bunch of gloo. Outside the GUTS darts work better on clusters but I still end up spraying gloo if the cysts are spread out.

Really, just grab whatever nearby objects you can find and throw them at the cytsoids. If you land a good throw you'll get an entire group at once.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think it's strange that White Noise being a physical symptom of latent psychic powers is only brought up a few times in the game, but would have massive implications for the plot and setting if it was true.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've actually found Nightmare with most of the difficulty mod on the Nexus enabled is pretty solid so far. I'm about to head into Crew Quarters and I'm finally at the point where I can reliably take on basic Phantoms. It hasn't felt like the difficulty was ever higher than the peak of Hard, but it's maintained a pretty good level so far. The only issue that I'm running into is that I have tons of medkits stacked up because I usually either survive combat unharmed or die.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Are there actually any of these? The only sabotage I can recall was performed by humans under the control of Telepaths or machines under the control of Technopaths. They both work by forcing their victims to empathize with the Typhon, not actually directing their actions.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basic Chunnel posted:

The things mind controlled dudes say directly contradicts this

That's the explanation given for how it works, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

Happened to me the first time. Not deliberately, but every action i made pushed me in that direction, but the thing didn't unlock. what could have interfered with this is 1. a couple humans got killed by a telepath during combat 2. the dude in psychotronics gets killed by random enemies later in the game and blamed on the player. 3. in my case I dicked around with the couple in the escape pod in shuttle bay. Eventually i went out and did the good ending for that quest but I probably gave them a couple of heart attacks before that happened.

You can save that guy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

the guy in the experiment? I saved him in the scripted bit, but during the end game I had to come back to psychotronics for plot related things; I found him running away from a voltaic phantom at 1/3rd health. I assume he got killed by another hostile or an environmental hazard in the level.

That part is also scripted, you can kill the aliens before they get him and he continues to very proactively stand around doing nothing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, at least on PC they were there at almost all times while in zero-G, to the point they got annoying to me. The tutorial prompt that comes up your first time in zero-G also says as much.

I think that the problem is actually that the game shows its controls so often, because by the time I hit zero G I had already stopped seeing them. I also didn't figure out that you could speed up until the second zero G section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hannibal Rex posted:

With Chris Avellone on board, I honestly thought this was going to be Prey's spin on Planescape: Torment's previous incarnations and the various diaries you can find in that game.

I mean that's basically what this game is.