Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looking to confirm something - when you move between areas, do environments change? I don't mean in the sense of new mimics showing up, I mean things like corpses dropping where they weren't before. I could have sworn I cleaned out the men's bathroom in the Talos Lobby but then when I came back around after visiting my office, it was walled off with GLOO and a gloogun-wielding dead man was holed up inside. I just cleaned out Fabrication (vertical exploration in this game is surprisingly primo) and there's a new dead woman on the stairs to the Shuttle Bay, I know I would've seen and looted her if she were there before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So I turned on all subtitles and noticed something during my first fight with the second enemy type. they speak?? I think it commented on my health dropping while murdering me as well. It dropped itens that only make sense if they're human, to boot.

The audio was hard to hear though. I can't tell if that is intentional or an audio mixing problem.
Yes, it's part of the lore you can pick up in the first two zones of the game. But more than that, it's a System Shock 2 reference.

I'll say that so far, Prey is the best SS2 tribute to come out of the immersive sim mini-industry (plus Dead Space) so far. It doesn't have that extra bit of SS2 that made it special (the dread that came out of extreme difficulty borne from endearably haphazard drsign) but it's trying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I haven't run into that. Your GPU manufacturer release new drivers yet?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Is it a safe bet to rush necropsy so I can fabricate more neuromods?
*edit doy I read "Psychotropy" for some reason. Yeah, 100%. Mineral blocks have been my bottleneck thus far.

Here's my original, irrelevant post:

There's an easier way, in the first two areas.

Look around the Lobby zone for the keycode to the first zone's Volunteer Center (second floor, above the biomod display). Use that to get into the pitch-dark Center, behind one of the desks is a maintenance hatch. Use Gloo to shimmy up the walls to a connective tunnel that will lead you to Fabrication. You'll find some Recycling grenades. You'll also be able to get the drop on a very large, slow and nasty monster.

You can try to stealth around it or make some accurate throws with the Recycle grenades to kill it. Around there should be a keycard for the head engineer's office, which is up on the floor from where you got the jump on the evil hover tank thing. Go back around through the maintenance tunnels again and you'll get into the head engineer's office, where you'll find the neuromod schematic and a scene with ominous implications.

It goes without saying that if you want to do a neuromod hoarding run, you'll want to invest in Necropsy and loot as many mimic carcasses as you can find.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Neurosis posted:

i didn't look into this g ame much and bought it on a whim when i saw people mentioning ss2, knowing really nothing about it other than a short trailer. it's really loving good. this feels like the real successor to system shock 2 (bioshock's fine and all but wasn't as deep rpg wise and obviously the aesthetic is different)
Soon as I saw the Typhon drop skill-locked organs I was like "yep this is the game for me".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The strategy is buried under a big W

Time to start jumping on enemies like I'm fuckin Mario.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Re: Neuromod recipe

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's an easier way, in the first two areas.

Look around the Lobby zone for the keycode to the Neuromod zone's Volunteer Center (second floor, above the neuromod display). Use that to get into the pitch-dark Center, behind one of the desks is a maintenance hatch. Use Gloo to shimmy up the walls to a connective tunnel that will lead you to Fabrication. You'll find some Recycling grenades. You'll also be able to get the drop on a very large, slow and nasty monster.

You can try to stealth around it or make some accurate throws with the Recycle grenades to kill it. Around there should be a keycard for the head engineer's office, which is up on the floor from where you got the jump on the evil hover tank thing. Go back around through the maintenance tunnels again and you'll get into the head engineer's office, where you'll find the neuromod schematic and a scene with ominous implications.

It goes without saying that if you want to do a true power game run, you'll want to invest in Necropsy and loot as many mimic carcasses as you can find.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Got to the Crew Quarters, realized my loot bag was full, hoofed back to the Arboreum entrance (loved that SS2 elevator homage, seen also in Dead Space). So routine that I wasn't even looking at the screen when I confirmed re-entry into Quarters. Somebody was sure looking at me, though.

That dude is definitely one way of keeping you on your toes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What's the best way to avoid the nightmare? It scoped me out somehow from across the map (psi pose installation?) and I've barricaded myself in a crew quarter room. He's not losing his alertness at all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I feel like I probably missed the Q-Beam, got to Crew Quarters and have yet to see it.

A bit pissed off that I went through the trouble of getting mindjack only for every civilian head in the place to pop as soon as I murked the nightmare.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I also love how the teensy tiny typhon corpses tend to vanish in the arboreum.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

This is head and shoulders above Dishonored 2, a fairly good game. Mainly, the big ethical choice of character building is an actual choice - a tech-focused mundane Morgan is still pretty fun. Power-starved Emily / Corvo is just a drag.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Prey has moments of that rare feeling in games were you act according to how you yourself would, rather than by the contrived laws and expectations of a game world.
At certain points I have to step away from the game, not because it's scary, but because I don't want to see the NOCs get doomed before my very eyes.

Arkane groks, as Looking Glass / Ion Storm did, that plot choice is just another minigame when presented plainly. Nobody ever gives you a binary choice to be made in the moment. There are only actions to be taken or not taken, with the player left to guess as to the consequences.

If they deliver on some of the promises this plot is making, we could be looking at a bigger and better achievement than Witcher 3. It really could be the GOAT. And I say this as someone who had exceedingly low expectations going in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One of the biggest changes compared to the System/Bioshock games is that they removed all of the body horror that was an integral part of it's predecessors. Having chopped up and cyberized/horribly mutated and disfigured human enemies was a big part of what made the Shocks creepy, and abstracting it into ghost monsters kind of removes a lot of that.
Body Horror was all Bioshock had and it was the least unsettling iteration. Prey and SS2 both have enemies who are both conscious and being mind controlled. That's the horror of 'shock.

Pretty sure it's intimated that the telepaths were grown in a lab, as well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Looking Glass message you leave for yourself is pretty clearly meant to echo SS2's big reveal, visually at least.

SS2's "the elevator's stuck, most definitely just a mechanical error" is revisited in Prey just as it was in Dead Space.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I do wish that there were more stories going on in parallel. Prey establishes that there are survivors, whereas part of SS2's horror is the slow realization that despite all the post-disaster logs, there's essentially no one alive onboard. And yet there are vanishingly few post-disaster logs or emails in Prey, even of people who ultimately died. One of the few things I really liked about Dead Space is that there are a few folks who are out there actively trying to survive during the game, though they meet grisly fates. Maybe that sort of thing wouldn't work with such a non-linear environment.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

n4 posted:

Question about the ending: why the gently caress are they operators and not people?

So the game could allow you to murder all of them without it requiring a work-intensive alternate ending sequence.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

From a gameplay perspective its because it builds on the existing multiple approach system that you've been using so far. You can kill them like regular enemies but the operator stations will constantly redeploy new ones unless you can block them off. You can try to hide from them like regular enemies but until you destroy your tracker they know where you are. Also its probably easier than making a whole new enemy type.

You can also look at symbolism or whatever and how your use of the stations resources to survive has been subverted and turned into a weapon against you to make Dahl more of a threat.

I think the quote is about the denouement with Typhon-Morgan

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So has the "It may take months before a player does this" thing happened yet if we already have a sub-20 speedrun

Is it the Far Cry thing where Alex tells you to sit tight and you just stay in your office for however long it takes for him to show up

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

In modern AAA games with stealth systems you throw rocks or whistle to distract something or interact with something far but Prey gives you a loving Nerf gun
I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong but whenever I use it as a distraction the phantoms tend to come straight at me, not the impact point.

It also doesn't work for setting up traps, since the bolts set off placed grenades (and the sound isn't super loud to lure enemies into the path of a grenade)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's a tricky one. Despite being able to get 15m or so from him in the GUTS (man I hate that acronym), he's not there. He's in the cargo corridor at the end of the GUTS, past the magnetosphere, hugging a very large pipe. I want to say he's near a bottleneck with a couple of leaky radiation cans.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Putting aside all my dumbass thoughts, where do non-preorder people get their shotguns? In the demo I got one as soon as I entered the Lobby. In my playthrough with the preorder bonus stuff, I did not encounter a normal shotgun until the security office of the lobby, I think.
If you drop jump out Morgan's office window you'll come down on a balcony with an exit to IT Security. On one of the desks / workbenches there is a card to get into the lobby's security station.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unless you sneak past them they end up either unconscious or dead. Aside from one questgiver, every living human under mind control gets knocked out when you kill the puppeteer.

Anecdotal evidence also suggests that killing a Nightmare sends a psionic shockwave killing all humans in a certain radius. Or maybe their heads popped en masse for some other reason, idk.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thread moves kinda fast so my question was skipped over, but how do I get through the micrograv tunnel leading to the Arbortoreum (which is where I have to go to advance the story)? There's a locked door and I have no idea where to look for the code and the game hasn't given any hints.

Did you grab the keycard off the body in the magnetosphere?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think I've been there, unless that's the thing that's in the room with all of the light strands I never went in there since I don't think I have access. And I don't care to fight the Weaver or whatever is in there.

Off to the side of the GUTS, near a floating dead body, is the magnetosphere section. It's short, but there's a body with the keycard in it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The ending is a perfectly effective Twilight Zone reveal

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Caidin posted:

The real question is why isn't the station entirely devoted to transhuman alien research in the first place, that way you don't have to keep it secret from 4/5's of the crew and nobody shrugs their shoulders when the electrical components they just plugged in melt into black slime.
The station is devoted to alien research. Just about everybody on Talos I is an unwitting guinea pig for the neuromod program, either to chart effects or capture advanced talents and skills.

As to why people don't know about the Typhon, if people knew they'd want to know why and for what purpose dangerous shapeshifting creatures are being kept alive on the station. From there, well, you'd just need the entire station to agree that human sacrifice is a-okay, then hope they don't put two and two together with regard to what exactly they're injecting directly into their brains.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

There were a number of books throughout the game that you could find detailing on "Evacuation". It sounded like Earth fought some war before the events of the game. Is this ever explained in detail?

I don't think there's anything explicit, but Elazar's session with the therapist suggests that it was some massive scientific-industrial accident, from the written accounts it sounds like a mishap with the future tech you see in use, maybe something to do with molecular physics (planes disintegrating, etc). There are some references to a "Transtar North" disaster but it's unclear if it's the same thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

His body had always been there. I investigated despite remembering vaguely that I saw Glass on a death list. Showed me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bolow posted:

is it possible to nerf gun open the security room door in the Talos 1 Lobby? I tried for like 5 minutes and gave the gently caress up on it. I then opened up a door using the same type of button much later on in the game, so I'm curious if I was just loving it up.

The easy way is to smash through the office Looking Glass display then bash through the glass floor in the resulting hallway. You'll drop down into IT Security and there will be a passcard for Security on a table.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The game starts in March, so yes, probably

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

GLOO is probably the easiest way to get rid of cystoid nests, short of psychoshock

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

SHODANielle would be a good username.

It's what shodan's mom calls her when she really hosed up

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

That audiolog has seriously made the story a lot worse just because it spoiled everything really early.
Prey's plot follows the rest of its design philosophy. There is nothing truly hidden, and if you notice threads you can pull them to see where they go. This is not a flaw. It is a deliberate design choice.

Once the game gets going it becomes a meditation on humanism more than a plot-driven suspense generator, though the gameplay is meant to keep you cagey moment-to-moment. Plot developments aren't really presented as twists with the narrative build-up of Bioshock or SS2. It doesn't try to tell you how to feel.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 22, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One of the reasons it's the first gun you find (along with a gloo'd mimic) is to gently nudge the player away from straightforward combat toward more lateral thinking about movement and tactics. The game's (minor) failures tend to revolve around how the game doesn't shore this notion up as strongly as it could. Toe-to-toe combat tends to be easy, stealth is a touch and go affair even when you don't account for the living land mines all around you, and the climbing mechanics are really wonky. It plays like Bioshock and there's really no reason not to play it that way, but it could have been pretty different.

I'm looking forward to seeing how a prospective survival mode could do the work of incentivizing different styles of play.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 22, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I dare to suggest that piloting a spacecraft is not like driving a car, and that it is in fact an extremely specialized skillset that would be uncommon among people not devoted solely to that job. It could be the case that spaceflight is costly and subject to strict scheduling. Also it was probably assumed that the unpiloted lifeboats would be the only thing needed for evacuation and there was no plan B, and that this was probably by design given quarantine concerns.

Given a few astrophysicists, they might be able to figure it out, but this isn't a game adaptation of The Martian

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 22, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

dex_sda posted:

I just found Avellone wrote for this game. How good is the writing? I'm considering buying this without waiting for a sale if it's as good as Avellone's output usually is.
I don't know how much input he had over the narrative design but there are aspects of it that have his fingerprints all over it. I'm assuming you know the basic first reveal of the plot at this point, but I'll spoil this next bit in case you don't.

Game narratives tend to be straight-jacketed by the cognitive dissonance associated with a player character existing before the events of the game but not being controlled by them. Characters tend to be blank slates who effectively don't exist before you control them, because doing otherwise would cause players to cry foul (see: FONV Lonesome Road) and this limits story possibilities.

What Avellone frequently does to get around this obstacle is use an amnesia plot contrivance to reconcile a character's past agency with the player's present control - thus giving you some responsibility for choices you didn't personally make, without breaking immersion. They're your character now, but they weren't always. Morgan Yu's Groundhog Day situation and the "personality drift" of neuromod abuse is to Prey what The Nameless One's changing consciousness was to Planescape / the Spirit Eater's soul hijacking was to Mask of the Betrayer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

*a few other small bugs. I encountered a Nightmare in the lobby which knocked me through a wall down the elevator shaft landing me right on top of the elevator, which I couldn't get out of. One quest in particular I attempted to finish but for whatever reason it didn't register, and when I went on with the game I got a "Mission Failed" message about 15 minutes later the one where the guy sends a distress signal for you to save him in the trauma center, but it turns out he's already dead. I saw his corpse and figured I'd get out of there since I had other poo poo to do, but I didn't kill all of the military operators so it didn't register as "finished", which I think single-handedly hosed up my "full empathy" run.

That guy had always been dead, I remembered his name from the crew manifest and so kind of knew going in that it was a trap but went anyway because I'm conditioned to always do quests. Anyway, it's a trap and there's no way to "succeed" except avoid it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Holy poo poo that stab in the back when (end end-game) January leaves you to die on Talos by messaging Dahl waiting in the shuttle and telling him "Hi this is Morgan, i can't make it, fly without me" after you turn on the self-destruction. Top 10 anime betrayals

That's funny. I figured January was going to double-cross me when she murked December and acted like that wasn't suspicious at all, but I guess I killed her before she could gently caress me over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

When you run out of time and money, the ending is the most expendable part of a game for cuts.