Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haruhater
Oct 15, 2010

I AM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF BASIC COGNITIVE FUNCTION

please donate to my gofundme
PROTIP: if you see ANYBODY complaining about input lag, you know they are a Call of Duty playing mongoloid. Prey is a HORROR game: there would be no tention to it if you could snap auto aim at the mimics instantly. The controls are actually perfect: gimped in just the right way so that you can move around just fine but combat is tiring, thrilling and exhillarating.

Just like it should be in a horror game.

And on that note: this game is it. This is the game that the original Bioshock wanted to be but couldn't. Difficult. Frightening. Innovative (the idea that any object in the game can be an enemy that can inflict heavy damage on you is sheer genius). THERE IS INVENTORY MANAGEMENT AND A SKILL TREE! I understand that this stuff was too much for a casual audience when Irrational had to make it big back in '07. And I understand why they just made a streamlined action game with Bioshock Infinite. Heck, Bioshock Infinite is still my favorite game of all time.

But drat, Arkane really showed Ken Levine and co. how it's motherfucking done! It took them ten years and a new console generation, but they made the System Shock 2 sequel Irrational never could! gently caress Warren Spector's System Shock 3: THIS is System Shock 3! Really, all it lacks is Shodan, but everything else is right there! And it's absolutely GLORIOUS!!!

And really, if the full game keeps up this level of quality then I'm just gonna' go ahead and pre-emptively call this my game of the year! Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I'd ever again get to play a cutting edge AAA survival horror game with such a level of depth, complexity and originality! Arkane really outdid themselves, and as far as I'm concerned; as long as you have even the most remote appetite for spine-chilling horror and the glory days of intelligent PC FPS games, this game is worthy every motherfucking penny!

It even has 0451!

Haruhater fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruhater
Oct 15, 2010

I AM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF BASIC COGNITIVE FUNCTION

please donate to my gofundme
So just a heads up: if you check out the thread on NeoGAF about this demo you will learn quite a number of things:
-You will understand why every single FPS game these days plays the same
-You will understand the audience for modern FPS games
-You will understand why Bioshock was so dumbed down after System Shock 2
-You will understand why Bioshock Infinite became what it was
-You will understand just how big of a percentage of modern gamers even comprehend what a horror game is supposed to play like
-And finally you will understand the audience reception that this game is going up against.

Among other things. Seriously, go check it out sometime. If nothing else; after seeing what kind of person the average modern gamer is, you are at least probably going to appreciate Prey all the more for the fact that it even exists.