Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm normally a huge baby when it comes to Horror games but it's Arkane and the Nightmare system sounds really cool, so I'll probably buy it on launch.

Also OP you listed superthermal twice in that power list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hi friends, bethesda's streaming the first few hours on Twitch right now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I was real excited for this game but after going through the demo I think this game is 2spooky4me, I was reflexively mashing the pause button every time the battle theme started up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they haven't shown anything aside from the basic mimics, phantoms, and drones. There's also the Nightmare but I don't think theres been any gameplay footage of that, hopefully there will be other enemies later on

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hi Shawn, the ending is extremely bad and I'm sad it ended like that, thanks

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ambaire posted:

Finally finished the game with 21 hours played, and I didn't do a few side quests as well. I'm definitely going to be giving this game a second round. It really feels like a spiritual successor to Bioshock... the decor and art is very bioshocky. It also borrows some elements from Doom 2016, I think... guns are nice and meaty and the shotgun is very satisfying. I didn't use a single Typhon power, either. Shotgun was my weapon of choice, with the laser for weavers and mc guys. I was surprised how effective the recycler bombs are on enemies. I did end up manufacturing at least 20+ neuromods.

One minor gripe about the ending: It doesn't seem to matter whether I choose to overload the neural network or make the station go boom, it was just 1 line at the end. And when I chose to overload the reactor, it gave me an 8 minute countdown and told me to try to escape... only airlock that appeared to be open was the one in the cargo bay but the alien thing was blocking all routes there. poo poo blew up when I was frantically trying yet another possible exit.

e. The best thing in the world is picking up a strengthIII-requirement cargo pallet or huge rear end machine and throwing it at enemies. You can 4-shot the Nightmare with STRIII crap.

God, I hope there's a PREY 2.

e2. If I had to condense it to one two sentences: BIOSHOCK IN SPACE!!! And I can fly around the space station with mah jetpacksuit.

This is my summary of the ending:

Great game otherwise, but Arkane is 2/3 on lame ending sequences now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rookersh posted:

Sounds like 2-3, and there is a pretty strong dependence on how much stuff you do on the station/how corrupted you are.

you're pretty much right, except side-stuff and corruption matter extremely little

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
theres a lot of half-truths in that statement

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Phoix posted:

Regarding the ending. Is there any way to be a big enough shithead so that Alex just straight up kills you instead of offering you his hand? I tried to find other endings on youtube but the worst I could find was "medium empathy" from the Igwe bot.

No. People have tried runs where you're an absolute utter bastard and kill everyone you see. All the AI bots recommend that you should be killed but Alex still offers you the handshake anyways

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Decided to get over my crippling fear of coffee cups and actually buy this game. Only issue is that Amazon sent me a european copy, somehow. Should I get it returned or can I play the game just fine here in the US? I know I won't be able to download any DLC or anything if it ever comes out but I'm fine with that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Lol if you haven't turned your right foot into mulch with a recycler grenade

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The nightmare is extremely dangerous, because while you're hiding in a room it can't enter it might clip through a wall while you're not looking and kill you.

My first encounter with a nightmare was in the elevator. Apparently you're invincible in the elevator but the nightmare could still clip through it, so it just spent 3 minutes harmlessly kicking me around until it disappeared

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I would really recommend putting points into the "run faster/jump higher" powers. By about the midpoint of the game I was basically playing the game like Dishonored, just jumping from perch to perch, invisible to most enemies and taking them out in one hit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rinkles posted:

They feel great but are more of a quality of life thing in Prey since you can get practically anywhere with the GLOO gun if you're tenacious enough.

yeah but thats not as fun/fast enough

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vib Rib posted:

Man, I'm not gonna let you poison me. You must think I'm a joke.

Well I had fun doing that at least. Combine that with combat focus 3 and you turn into the lovechild of the doom marine and max Payne

It did help that I found the chipset that allows you to passively regenerate psi real early on, so I could turn all my psi hypos into precious exotic material for more neuromods

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Combat wasn't the deepest but Mimics were great since they pretty much fundamentally change how you played the game

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rinkles posted:

That thing was a death trap for me (because the devs didn't account for how it could interact with the nightmare)

aren't you invincible in the elevator? the nightmare attacked me when I was in the lift too but I never took any damage

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GlyphGryph posted:

Its like a core component of the final act twist. Hard to miss. Weird.

also if you look at the moon you can see a bunch of lights at certain sections of it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

turn off the TV posted:

You probably missed a lot of things because, if you're like me, you never found out that you can shoot powered down computers with the stun gun to turn them back on.

WHAT

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Palpek posted:

That's why phantoms still talk using voices of their "hosts" - they're just bits of neural activity firing off into the void like an octopus's cut off tentacle wiggling around when salt is applied to it.

Speaking of which I think it's funny that all but 1 of the lines that Phantoms can say all come from one of the security guards you find in the Cargo Bay, that never even gets turned into a Phantom

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TWIST FIST posted:

its not like he'll make it onto the shuttle anyway

He definitely made it onto the shuttle in my game, somehow

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's like if the coin from Hitman could also unlock doors from far away

Also the bathroom in my new office is right next to the elevators now, and if the elevators are moving it makes the exact same ambient scary music that plays whenever enemies are around but nothing's happened yet.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Just grabbed this on sale. So far I'm having fun throwing poo poo around in my apartment.

I've never really played many games like this that I am aware. Any tips that I can't just read on the beforeiplay wiki?

if you see an item called a "Reployer", don't gently caress around with it, I've had to reload a lot of saves cuz of those things

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ending spoilers
Has anyone figured out how the game decides who wins the "duel" between Alex and January? In my game I decided to blow up the station, Alex shot January and tried to convince me to change my mind. But I've been watching a few other people play it and January always ends up zapping Alex in their games, even if they select to blow up the station too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

QuarkJets posted:

Second, it nails down a specific outcome that's not any easier to write around than any of the hypothetical outcomes that the player may have seen: the Typhon made it to Earth, and seemingly another outbreak also occurs on the station, as you can hear the rattling of a disguised Mimic coming from the room next to Alex's in the ending.

Wait, what? I never noticed this at all

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm pretty sure Mimics can inflict fear on you too after they reveal themselves. Both the real kind and the in-game kind

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's up with the damage stats in the inventory? I didn't use the pistols more recently, but when I installed prey the first time, the golden pistol had less damage (in the inventory). Does it upgrade higher, or was it a bug?

it upgrades higher IIRC

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The backtracking does suck but by that point in the game I was a time slowing ninja with a shotgun that could run and gun my way to any objective in the station in a few minutes.

Like I think by that point more of my playtime was spent watching loading screens

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BBQ Dave posted:

Played dishonored 1 and 2,m. No dlcs because well...
Art and game design is great!
My complaint with dishonored is the characters. Can’t get into em. I don’t love the hero’s and I don’t hate the villains, I don’t even feel ambiguous about the ambiguous ones. Prey was much better in this regard, for me.

The DLC for the 1st Dishonored is very good and worth playing, IMO

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

wyoak posted:

I'm getting OK at this (base) game and can generally take on the bigger enemies with some prep (although I haven't killed a Nightmare yet) but the combat is still annoying in alot of ways. The wrench seems to whiff when it feels like it shouldn't, so I'm getting tooled on by greater mimics and corrupted operators which is a little embarrassing. Also, corrupted operators are just not fun to fight at all and they seem mostly unavoidable, am I missing something with them?

If you have the stun gun upgrade it a lot, it handles your problems with both mimics and operators really well

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

General Morden posted:

Remember when the multiplayer mode was going to release "late summer"

they didn't mention which summer

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah if anything Morgan was the real villain. Alex was just going along with your wishes from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
From the way they’re describing it it sounds like the game works on a level select system. Each loop you have a limited amount of “levels” you can play, and you can do things in one level that influences the behavior of your targets in other levels. The way to “beat” the game will be to find the right combination of level/time of day to successfully kill every target.