Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Is it a safe bet to rush necropsy so I can fabricate more neuromods?
I just grabbed the first Neuromod so I'm hoping so! It was either this, hacking, or repair and I figured that a little delay now would get me to more Neuromods later.

e: Or, I'll just have enough Neuromods to get Necropsy by the time I get to my office thanks to what I assume is a preorder bonus. Hrm. So far, the game atmosphere is fantastic and I'm nicely paranoid about everything. Very SS2-ish so far.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any weapons in particular stand out as worth upgrading? The shotgun seems like an obvious choice but its also pretty loving woefully bad against a Phantom and flaming Phantom I've run across in Trauma. Seems a shame to waste them if the weapons involved just end up being worthless and I don't have the inventory space for all of it.

e: For that matter, both the stun and GLOO guns seem like they've got promise too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 5, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Anyone try running this on an i5-2500k? How does it perform?
Quite well so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone know why my pistol says Firepower : 7 (Unmodified 8)? I haven't put any mods into it at all so you'd think the current and unmodified damage would be the same. Same goes for my shotgun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Uh, System Shock 2 had like the greatest ending of all time.
"Nah"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Regarding nueromod plans:

A bunch of people said its hard to find and you really have ot follow a series of nonsense. But actually Alex gives you a safe code during the mission where you get the typhon upgrades and right inside dr kelstrup's office.
Yeah, but you can "sequence break" and get them a ton earlier than that if you explore or are diligent about backtracking. One of the things I really like so far about the mission structure is that I'm pretty heavily allowed/encouraged to explore. By the time I'd found your spoiler, I already had Leverage 3, Repair 2, Recycling Efficiency, Suit upgrade 2, Necropsy, Hacking 2, and one or two other assorted ones I can't remember at the moment.

e:

DLC Inc posted:

I just got the looking glass thing up and running and finished the video. I'm anxious as to when I get alien powers? I feel I need them since the gloo gun does gently caress all versus phantoms and pistols just can't trade blows with them, I'm getting my rear end kicked.
Soon. You can head to Psychotropics and pick them up now. I'm not sure what happens if you try to go to the elevator like January tells you, but some dialogue made it seem like you'd get routed to Psychotropics pretty quick anyhow.

Also, some tips: The Gloo gun actually isn't too bad against Phantoms if you ambush them, but try using the environment. The Stun Gun gives you a decent window of time to take them out, but explosive barrels do a number on them. There's a shotgun available in the security office, which hits a lot harder than the pistol. Finally, Leverage lets you toss large objects at things and they loving hurt. A L3 object seems to take almost half of the Phantom's health off in one go. Guns are seeming largely superfluous at this point. And I haven't needed to use it, but the Q-Beam should be pretty decent against them, right? If you've gotten the Looking Glass repaired, you should have picked up the Beam.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 6, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Am I missing stuff with the Q-beam or is it an end game thing? I swear I have piles of ammo for it but I haven't found the actual thing.

hardware labs has it very early on. you'll need to do what seems like the EVA tutorial. And that's just following the main signposts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ambaire posted:

You have the stun gun, right? Upgrade that poo poo. At max stats, you can near oneshot them at ~15m with the stealth buff and have 15 shots per 100 charge.
Wait, upgrading it ends up giving you more shots per ammo "unit" instead of just increasing the amount of shots you get before you reload? I'm going to upgrade the poo poo out of that if so.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Leverage the most pointless skill path? I've come across like..Two unpowered doors that could be forced open with it, and for rooms and stuff blocked off by debris I just use a recycler charge to get in.
Right now, throwing large objects at things is easily my most effective combat strategy. In retrospect I probably should have stopped at Leverage 2, but I'm having fun with it regardless. Everyone should probably take Leverage 1 at least just for the ability to throw explosive cylinders and have them explode on contact.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone have any idea where I can find fab plans for Stun Gun ammo? Or a decent stock of it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I disagree. I've easily gotten more neuromods from it than I spent on it. It's a really cheap investment for a good return if you plan on churning out more mods.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

"Who is December?" spoilers One of the operators during the game over screen of that says "start it up again" so yes save scumming is canon
Now I'm wondering if this is related to the hints that dev was giving on Twitter about an unknown way to play.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Reploys.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

I need your help guys. Tell me if I'm being a huge loving dumbass - but I'm not buying any of the alien powerups because Alex Yu says they are great and then January is telling me that I shouldn't take too many because I'll become like them etc. I feel like the game isn't built around the way I'm doing it and it's kind of getting to be difficult in some parts because guns really suck in general, and I have a shiton of resources but not the primary one that is for ammo/resources I'm hoping there's some sort of payoff at the end for doing it this way, but if there isn't I'm gonna feel like a fool.
Not a direct answer but try glooing or stunning opponents as an opener. Both lead to bonus damage against enemies, saving you ammo. I have over 160 pistol rounds and 30 shells without making more than one set of shotgun ammo all game.

I also throw large objects at things a lot, so that helps too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Instead of doing the Artreum/GUTS mission I've been meandering for like 2 hours inside the water treatment plant, the air filtration place, and some fuckin lobby where I cleared out everything and got a fuckton of material, neuromods, and other poo poo. I think I've gone as far as I can in this side area because I assume I need to power up a lift or generator or something to go further, also I'm scared to go back into the zero G tunnel with those loving cysts and the goddamn technopath.

I barely did the GUTS/Cargo run as the technopath fired poo poo at me only to discover that opening this thing does nothing? it's like the 2nd thing i've done besides turning on the air filtration that I did randomly without being asked to, and yet neither really did anything discernible. lame.
gently caress the GUTS. its weird and hard to navigate and actually really cool but such a pain in the goddamn rear end, too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got a few questions about this game. I love horror games to death and horror sci-fi is always cool but I'm 150% sick of horror games that limit your ammo and have you constantly scrounging for it and conserving everything else you have. Does this game do that?
If you're bad at scrounging or using the environment or your skills or more than one gun, yes, you might run short. If you're willing to do any of the above you can be swimming in ammo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
First playthrough I'm doing pretty well with just going human-only mods. Any reason to pick up Typhon mods if I'm feeling pretty good as-is? Or any particular reason to avoid them for the first go-around? I plan on replaying this game a lot so I'm not worried about gimmick playthroughs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

snoremac posted:

Just curious: is Human Resources accessible from the start? I thought it was blocked by Leverage III crates when I first saw it but just noticed after doing the Hardware Labs that the crates were askew and able to be passed. I have Leverage III so it's possible I just moved a crate, walked away for some reason and forgot about it.
I didn't try it, but I don't see why you couldn't toss a recycler grenade at the crates, and you can get those as soon as you can get to your office.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

When do ya get the first recycler grenade? I've cleared the lobby and starting area
They'll start coming at you quickly in the next area, but some are in the starting zone but only available after you gain access to the lobby.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I found that chip before I had any way to equip it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We'll put that question up there with "Why is memory loss when you remove a mod an issue, why would you ever want to stop having one".

Do you wake up one day and think "Y'know, gently caress the piano. I'm going to undergo a dangerous procedure so that I don't know how to play anymore"
When you're still working on and testing them, it might be. And who knows what the effects of just pumping neuromods into you are? The way neuromods are handled seems like a gameplay concession in some regards. I got the impression that they were specific skillsets per injection, not just "shoot a bunch of goo into your brain to then get better at stuff." So if the gameplay mapped to the fiction a little better, you'd have to find/make the "Hacking 1" neuromod and use that to get Hacking 1, instead of just eyeballing a bunch of them back to back while thinking really hard about hacking. Either that, or unseen to the player Morgan just calibrates the modules he/she has somehow to read as "Hacking 1; vol 1-4" without going into it. In my opinion, its a good choice so that you can actually properly use them to explore, but it does mean that how they work mechanically for the player might not actually be a good source for how they work in-universe.

Also, some emails talk about Alex/management using them for their amnesia effects as an employee control mechanism. As far as marketing them goes, I'm inclined to agree with the in-universe sales dept.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Taking the elevator from the lobby to the arboretum for the first time
I'm sad I missed that because I immediately headed to Psychotronics as soon as I got the gen access card. Once I got in January started talking to me about the broken elevator so I just kept going.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

No but you can always chuck a recycler grenade at the floor and kill yourself and that might make you feel better!
I love the lab that has an organic sphere on display with a plaque reading, roughly, "this cube is all that remains of the part of my foot that got caught in a recycler field. Be careful in the lab kids!"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Question. What's the point of using GLOO in combat when you can sneak attack anything with a shotgun before it even gets the chance to react?

I haven't used GLOO in combat since I got the shotgun real early in the Lobby, which incidentally, I managed to find before I found my very first pistol.
On the very hardest difficulty, it would take me 4 shotgun shells to kill a Phantom, even from stealth. I'd put all my skills into exploration/economy at the time and didn't have too many weapon kits, so opening with stun, then switching to GLOO, then murdering them to prevent me from being two-shot by Phantoms was pretty critical. Once I got more kits and neuromods to upgrade my poo poo, I could just shoot them, but by then I'd also decided that opening combat by throwing fridges at things was funnier.

e: Also I didn't have the shotgun ammo to sustain using it as a primary weapon at the time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any reason to avoid stunning or mindjacking mindcontrolled people in favor of killing the telepath? Or any reason to favor one or the other?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Well, uhh... they both have anger management issues I guess?
Far more likely that at one point there was a crew directory that went Lastname, Firstname or Lastname, Truncated Firstname as a little easter egg without much thematic connection.

muscles like this! posted:

It does feel like something was cut there seeing as in some areas there are a bunch of O2 bottles sitting around.
They explode nicely when you throw them though!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

First half of the game you'll always be starved for Minerals.
After that you'll get starved on Synthetics pretty quickly.
I'm still starved for minerals because spare parts and suit repair kits recycle to a ton of synthetics.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

Stealth+security weapon boost+sneak attack boost+shotgun for typhon, upgraded stun gun for robots, q beam for the bigger typhon.
Upgrade the stun gun ASAP for everything, then use whatever. A fully upgraded gold pistol + sec. weapons boost was a better weapon for me against the Nightmare than the Q-beam for awhile, and it was far better against enemies I could stun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jose posted:

since i've used enough mods to get turrets to target me which of the damage ones are particularly good? i've got psychoshock and the telekinesis and the biological/machine controls that come from those. Are the suit upgrades randomised like the bone charms in dishonoured just i've got lower psi use for general use and telepathy. Do all the weapons have better versions from a quest or just the pistol and are there many more weapons after the Shotgun/q beam?
Psychoshock and the mind controls are pretty much the best in class abilities and will be easily enough to carry you though throughout the game if you're not relying on psi for your damage entirely. If you are, you might as well grab each of them since eventually your main barrier to psi spam is cooldowns rather than psi. Do the psychic water quest ASAP. Chipsets are randomized, yes. The only weapon that has a better version is the golden pistol since the golden shotgun is both a preorder bonus and statistically identical to the shotgun. Your weapons are limited to the wrench, GLOO, stun gun, pistol, shotgun, Q-beam, and grenades (lure, recycler, EMP, and nullwave).

GlyphGryph posted:

Electroshock does tons of damage to machines and stuns machines and organics which lets you deal more damage with other weapons. Definitely pick that one up and upgrade it to max. That, psychoshock and the mind controls should make every encounter trivial
I have a stun gun for this, but I guess I need something else to spend my massive collection of neuromods on. I've maxed out every engineer skill except for the wrench buffs, a good chunk of security, a decent amount of scientist, and some psi dabbling.

Jose posted:

the game is pretty stingy with the amoun of psi mods you can get before turrets target you
Honestly, its not bad. You can get psychoshock and mindjack without triggering it, and that's two of the best three Typhon abilities. Doesn't give you much to play with, but enough. And if you do decide to play with powers, its not like the turrets attacking you is a huge deal since you can just grab Machine Mind or melt them with a stun gun. Seriously, that little gun is the most useful item in the game and a fully upgraded one is probably what I'd miss most if I do a Typhon-only or mod-free run.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Since you have dismantle you can make Crossbows for two synthetic then tear them apart and recycle the spare parts for metal.
poo poo, this is a good plan. Thanks! Not that I needed it, but now I can go completely hog-wild on metals.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

I inferred that even in the original plan they were doing a fairly large number of experiments between re-briefings. Presumably the re-briefing and acclimation process takes Morgan a few days, whereas with the earth simulation they can potentially do dozens of additions and removals in a single day. As for why they stopped doing the rebriefings, I assumed that the personality drift meant that Alex felt he could no longer trust Morgan and he needed to get him/her out of the way.
Yeah, this. You'd have to repeat the same procedure multiple times just to be a proper experiment. Presumably Morgan sets up an experiment, draws up possible changes that might need to happen based on some results, then Morgan vanishes into the sim lab for awhile, getting repeatedly modded and de-modded. Morgan then gets brought out, re-briefed, maybe creates an Operator, and then repeats the cycle. On the last cycle, Alex felt like he didn't trust Morgan so didn't bring Morgan out like planned.

As for why this happens at the start of the game, I thought that the outbreak basically happened as it initially appeared to the player. So everything prior to what the player sees actually did happen, it just happened a long time ago and now it serves at the background for the sim. Once the game starts, you're playing the sim.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Hey, dumb question, are the escape pods even set up for reentry? Because I blew up the shuttle on the bridge because mimics were 100% around well before the outbreak was noticed (there's a log that talks about an engineer plugging a part into something and having it melt into organic black goo and pretty much the entire supply room in one area is mimics) and then, without thinking, freed the escape pod. If they're capable of reentry on their own I kind of hosed that self-imposed quarantine up though I suppose the escape pod is small enough and the escapees know about the mimics so they could theoretically scour the whole place, but still. Quarantine procedures!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Also you have to stab yourself in the eye with huge needles. That would be a big deciding factor for me.
I'm willing to shoot transhumanism right into my eyeballs, and I can barely put contacts in.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

lambskin posted:

Yeah lab tech really depends on if you like the Q-beam or gloo cannon a lot. I fully upgraded my q-beam in my first playthrough and didn't regret it. Also I'd argue that physician is quite important if you play on nightmare, as food just doesn't usually cut it during combat. Plus then you can recycle the food you find rather than eat it all.
I had 50+ things of food and 20 medkits by the end of my nightmare playthrough and never crafted a single one, using only Physician 1. Recycled a lot of food, too.

I agree in general with the skills to skip, though I'd take Leverage 2. The things you can throw with L2 are pretty small so don't get caught up on the environment, do some really nice damage to Phantoms and usually knock them down, giving you a solid weapon against them in the early stages of the game when you're fairly resource-starved.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yes - but I'm not sure if any are fixed drops.

At least the mimic detector gen 1 is, off the top of my head. Maybe one or two more.

e: I'd randomly found the gen2 detector before I'd found a psychoscope, so that was a little screwy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 4, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I don't know if the wrench one is fixed because I also haven't seen it and I am about to hit the Arboretum.

My chipset question though is I found one called amp aggressor and it says it increases damage of psi powers. I am doing a only human neuromod run and want to know if that amp affects combat focus or not.
Pretty sure that it only affects the damage powers, so you'd have no use for it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Where do you find the fake chef after he locks you in anyway? I thought I was gonna encounter him again as a part of the main quest what with all his monologues tying in with it but never found him before I finished the game. It was kinda funny during the end sequence when one of the operators praised me for letting him live. I was totally gonna kill him but he gave me the slip
Location: Escape pods. Failing that, you can find (method) his proper tracking number and follow his wristband.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Things are bad. Could the station get any worse?
Yes. There's a ton of resources lying around and you could get a lot less value from the recycled materials so you'd constantly be scrounging. I started popping neuromods and weapon mod kits out mostly for fun by the end, just to see how ridiculously powerful I could get.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I actually liked that takedown difficulty was not symmetrical between lethal and nonlethal approaches. Compare DXHR, for instance, where the stun gun trivializes silent KOs and, unlike w/ sleep darts, can carry plenty of ammo.
Oh, its still far easier to go nuts with the murderspree, don't worry. Its just that they got rid of a lot of those artificial limitations about takedowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jose posted:

Well he's dead now. Just got the second thruster chipset upgrade and being able to boost up instead of falling slowly is real good
Yeah, this double-jump plus the mobility upgrades turns you into the Doom Marine. You start just loving dunking on the Phantoms that were loving you up earlier in the game.