Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Haruhater posted:

So just a heads up: if you check out the thread on NeoGAF about this demo you will learn quite a number of things:
-You will understand why every single FPS game these days plays the same
-You will understand the audience for modern FPS games
-You will understand why Bioshock was so dumbed down after System Shock 2
-You will understand why Bioshock Infinite became what it was
-You will understand just how big of a percentage of modern gamers even comprehend what a horror game is supposed to play like
-And finally you will understand the audience reception that this game is going up against.

Among other things. Seriously, go check it out sometime. If nothing else; after seeing what kind of person the average modern gamer is, you are at least probably going to appreciate Prey all the more for the fact that it even exists.

ehh, neogaf is a inbred swill of idiots and lickspittles. i am not surprised they havent played older stuff. they are two busy pretending to write junior year critical english papers about various games and bitching about graphics to play anything old.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I remember getting Bioshock 1 on a friends suggestion with basically no prior knowledge, and the beginning through about halfway through the medical level felt like a good tense "horror" game. Then bullets stopped being a rare commodity and I got the tonic that lets you one hit most enemies with the wrench and all suspense was lost, but it was still good.

this. bioshock 1 is on of my all time favorite games and i don't mind that as much as you probably (i started with bioshock 1 on the 360 then moved on to SS2 which i also liked) but your right about the tention it goes away after medical. once you get all the various wrench tonics and realize that big daddies are berly a threat. but yeah, BUT prey keeps its tension really really well so far. i am amused at the gaffers bitching about the controls(apart from the lag) its loving dishonored 2 controls. pretty much. then again they hate that game for reasons, i thought it was ok. gameplay better then 1 but world not as good. basicaly the game is system shock mixed with dishonored. which is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm genuinely intrigued by the story and have plot theories. I guess a decade of Bioshocks/Dishonored hasn't spoiled my love of guns+spells+genetic mutation but I felt like I was getting totally slaughtered on normal, and I usually play every FPS on hardest settings because I've been gaming for like 20 years.

I think breaking out of your apartment is one of my favorite reveals ever and I really want to know what's going on with the Yu family. Why is Alex so shady, what role do his board of director parents play?

Played demo on XBone, but will buy on PC because I think M+KB will fix most of the issues I have with this game.

In general this game is creepier than the other Shocks or Arkane games, I really hope they maintain this level of tension throughout.

it reminds me alot of dishonored 2 in that the first levels are the hardest because you have basically no powers or upgrades. once they patch the delay issue on the ps4 in the full game it will be great. i love that every body has a name and if you dig around you can find there stuff.

The Lone Badger posted:

I see that this game has a wrench. Is it the Best Weapon, in keeping with tradition?

its good and i am sure i will wrench jockey my way through the game. but the ps4 has weird delay issues so its not as fun. arkane said they will fix so i am ok.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

I love how every corpse has a unique name and that you can use a security console to ping them. I did it at least once to find a specific person who they said in the demo files had an item I wanted...turns out they were a phantom now!

Another thing I noticed in the emails and files I hope will be cleared up in the game...The general email sent out says that Dr Bellamy was sent to the trauma center, but was in stable condition. I distinctly recall him being turned into a petrified corpse like the other mimic victims. When I managed to get into Trauma, I found an email saying "whatever you do, don't send Bellamy to Trauma, send him to Psychotronics. Hmmmm....be interesting to see what I can find there...

I assume to keep people from panicking or to keep the truth(oh gently caress they are loose) underwraps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Bioshock is so great because each and every inch of Rapture had love and care put into it and it is filled to the brim with little things and details that make it special. It's not just empty spaces and repeating patterns on large monolithic objects, it's almost overdesigned, but it works.

1960s space station is an idea on the level of 1950s underwater Randian paradise, so I have high hopes for this.

well rapture feels lived in and loved, which was one of my issues with infinte(besides trying to make it COD) in infinte, everything feels like a setpiece/soundstage, nothing feels really natural, its too scripted. 1 is scripted to hell and back too, but it hides it well and most of the encounters feel natural apart from the last 2 levels. Prey gives me that that lived in rapture feeling again so i cant wait.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr President posted:

neogaf also thought avengers age of ultron was going to outperform Jurassic World and The Force Awakens by a huge margin, that Donald trump had a 0% chance of becoming president, and kept saying that Doom 2016 was going to be a bad game so they really have no idea wtf there talking about.

Its not even worth going there anymore as its a heavily modded id politics shithole now. You get banned for the dumbest loving things there.

i liked tfa but thats my only disagreement with your opinion. yeah neogaf is an elitist shithole that fell down the IDpol zealot hole and also has loving dumb terrible opinions with mods who abuse the gently caress out of there power.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing I am very curious about is enemy models.

Every humanoid you encounter will just be a male/female head on a jumpsuit or labcoat, but is every alien gonna be just squiggly black lines? I'm hoping for some cool boss fights and set piece battles but enemy variety could be a stumbling block.

i was kinda ehh with the typhon designs at first. but i have grown on them. they look cool in motion at least.

Bogart posted:

At any rate, they've been experimenting with the Typhon things, right? Can't imagine they'll just stay as little dudes and fake dudes. Also, if you manage to get close enough to a Phantom, it turns out they're still talking. :eek:

yeah they talked about that in one of the devblogs, the phantoms are combination of the drained bodies and typhon dna injected by another typhon. much like the taken from alan wake, they kinda just mutter and say random stuff because the brain is misfiring or some poo poo. its creepy. and yeah Transtar seems like they are pulling alot for Waylan-yutani company plans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I realize it fits the game's story, but I hope that there are more enemies than a handful of "squiggly black lines" variations. This is actually one of the problems I had with Bioshock: There are basically several different flavors of Splicer and Big Daddy, and once I got used to them, a lot of the tension evaporated.

i am sure there will be other enemies at some point in the game. I am sure the company will realize how hosed the situation is and send in a clean up team/army and you will have to deal with them.

Valatar posted:

My money's on this too. Like the ending rolls and 'Morgan' takes off that big d20 space helmet and holy gently caress you've been a typhon the whole time, injected with human memories. WHAT A TWIST. Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish, so I'm willing to deal with a disappointment on that front as long as the game up to that point is good.

i am not sure what the twist will be. i think it might be something along those lines but i am uncertain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sammus posted:

The twist isn't that you woke up on a space station with your memory temporarily erased at your request but your boss is an rear end in a top hat and decided to make it permanent? Then he hosed up and got a bunch of people killed? Because there's seriously a game's worth of twists in the demo and I don't know if I can take any more.

and he is also your brother.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

and your parents are board members of this company and I'd be surprised if they don't show up

also your brother looks like he probably posts on this forum.

anyway the game has made me excited for this friday. so now i can have 2 cool sci fi experiences this week. plus last week of classes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bogart posted:

What is your other cool sci-fi experience.

hopefully new guardians. i have heard its pretty good. not as good a 1 but still good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Just finished my first run through on the game. Excellent gameplay all the way through.

Ending: This is yet another one of those games that would have been greatly improved if it ended five minutes sooner. The after-credits stuff was kind of pointless and denigrated the story as a whole. When will devs realize that those kinds of cop-outs removes all the weight of the story? It keeps happening with all kinds of games. But hey, it was still a fun ride up until that point, so I guess no harm? Still somewhat disappointed.

that doesnt surprise me. i heard it has multiple endings. how many are there?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

love the game so far but disappointed in the post credit stuff. why does every good game need a dumb rear end twist ending that makes everything pointless

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

n4 posted:

Are GamerGate-types upset about the lesbian relationship featured in the main storyline?

nah, they to busy being pissed about la pen being blown out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, that's that. Clocked in about 18 hours, really good rear end game. Glad it came out on the weekend so I could blitz through it. Ending was kind of lame, I expected some sort of big encounter or something towards the end, although I'm glad there wasn't a giant annoying boss fight against the Aphex as well, so I guess I can't complain. Just felt like the ending was really sudden to me. I knew the twist the moment i GLOO'd myself up to Alex's penthouse and then across the drawbridge the moment you get access to the zone and got the bad ending, combined with Alex constantly going on about mirror neurons and such. The only thing I'm a bit confused about is, did the events of Talos-1 actually happen, and you were simply playing a simulation of it, or was it entirely fabricated for the simulation? And what happened to the real Morgan? is all of that just sequel fodder or is there secret info to uncover or something?

they say its built on the memories, so maybe it did happen. i hope it did honestly or at least partially because the world is interesting and if its all a dream, that would blow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GhostDog posted:

There are some fantastic "Original Prey 2 would have been the best game ever (according to this E3 presentation video) and Bethesda killed it" warriors on Steam.

lol seriously? tommy was meh at best. sure i liked the weird techno organic alien environments and other poo poo. but i would honestly be ok if they turned prey into a system shock type American Horror Story type anthology where every game tells a different story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

incoherent posted:

Separate post for spoiler territory.

Post credit talk: What do you think we are? Body morgan with all those typhoon mods, a clone with composite memories, or a hybrid of some such?

i kinda of assume you are typhon morgan or the typhon that was created by absorbing him. i like to think that the all the station stuff happend in some fashion because it all being fake is dumb as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Loved the game but my question is did any of it actually happen, like i know its based on his memories and stuff and build empathy in the typhon morgan but it sucks that they build this whole cool world and then basicaly say "lol it was all a sim"

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 14, 2018