Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Generic Monk posted:

i'm not sure how i feel about the ending but the twist is an interesting way to justify the gamification of moral choices that a lot of these types of games do. you were being tested all this time! it makes sense

I can't recall any other game that pulled an "It was all a dream" that I wasn't mad about. That one surprised me the most – not the ending itself, but that I didn't flip my keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pookah posted:

'Planescape without the dodgy combat' sounds absolutely magical

I hope you've played Tyranny, because holy poo poo is it a good game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/Tyranny/

It's very much like Torment in that it is absolutely groundbreaking in many ways but didn't sell too well in part because of bad marketing. You play a dignitary of a dictator that has conquered the world. You're sent to snuff out a rebellion, and the entire game is a meditation on power, how power corrupts, how people corrupt power, how power works in a dictatorship. How law can be unjust, how it can be twisted and subverted. How it corrupts you, the player and player character.

The entire cRPG revival has birthed a swathe of great games. Just a whole orgy of really well made games.

I'm playing Pillars of Eternity right now after not having played it for years. And I'm having the itch to play Tyranny again as well.

And in five years I'm going to play Prey again. Hopefully I will have forgotten most of it by then so I can experience it again…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh dear, so you missed the cRPG revival completely? Pillars of Eternity is the new Baldur's Gate, its sequel is the Baldur's Gate 2 analogue. Then there's Shadowrun: Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong., which are shorter and more focused but really well made.

If old school but modernised cRPGs are your jam at all you'll need another pandemic to play through them all.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Dragonfall Dietrich is a great companion. He reminds me of an acquaintance of mine, a punk turned social worker who is really good at helping autistic children connect and bashing nazis.

Dietrich also has the best line in the entire game. Regarding his time as a front man for MESSERKAMPF: "You can sing?" – "I was in a punk band. gently caress no I can't sing"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm still amazed that I don't hate the ending tbh.

With other games I would've rage uninstalled and written hate mail to the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm under time pressure during my entire workday. I really don't need more of that in my leisure time. gently caress timers, let me play in peace ffs.