Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yo this game is really really good. I keep falling into a loop of getting bored of playing then reading online about all the things I can do/find in the game and immediately hopping back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ahahaha I just experienced the jump scare everyone has mentioned. Good work, Prey, and also gently caress you.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ladron posted:

which one?

I should be surprised there are multiple I guess but the one I mean is pressing the green dot to calibrate the looking glass.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I know the comparison is tired but I've never played System Shock 1 or 2 and for me Prey is everything I didn't know I wanted out of Bioshock. I didn't even really love Dishonored 2 outside of a few moments. (Crack in the Slab kicked so much rear end)

In comparison, Prey feels so much more open and I've only just gotten to the Arboretum.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is the mixed signals side quest really that beneficial? I just finished it after crafting a bunch of neuromods to get my repair skills up but I wonder if I should have stuck to my technique of just hide in an office for three minutes when the nightmare shows up. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Just finished my first playthrough and I'm hype as gently caress for a new adventure. I intentionally left a little replayability because I did a human mods only run, which was fun but once you can fabricate neuromods you can really turn into a tank. Looking forward to playing around with some of the Typhon powers.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I mean, it'd been nice to have a use for the stacks and stacks of bananas and candies and green tea I had by the end of the game. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Morgan Yu: shooting a weaver while necking a bottle of bourbon.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I didn't super care for Dishonored 2 but that level with the timepiece that lets you view and travel through time is loving amazing. I'd play a whole game with that mechanic. Prey is still unmatched for me as far as depth of gameplay mechanics and the world around you feeling so complete.

Also hoarding trash and recycling it all is so satisfying.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I recently replayed Prey after a year or so and found a bunch of stuff I missed somehow on my first playthrough. One moment that I skipped the first time that was loving amazing was the typhons ambushing you and subsequent fight in the bar after activating the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4RanjlL7sg
:)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

flatluigi posted:

infinite came out exactly at the inflection point of the majority of people not being willing to praise just about any AAA game that came out (both review-wise and games community wise) and the games community getting really loving upset at anyone criticising games for reasons other than how it felt to shoot things

it's a mediocre game with awful politics and if it wasn't Bioshock nobody would've cared (but if it wasn't bioshock it wouldn't have had the budget to do the little it did well so, lol)

_that said_ bioshock 1 is fine and I played it finally recently after the remakes came out (it was the first game I ever bought on steam and my lovely laptop couldn't run it, but I gave it a shot when I got the remaster for free). infinite being terrible doesn't really have any bearing on that, imo

Bioshock is still one of my favorite games. It really shows its age (drat 13 year old game this year) but I just love the atmosphere and aesthetics.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Found a fun easter egg in Doom: Eternal

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bounced off deathloop pretty hard tbh. I wanted to like it and it definitely has a lot going for it but the environment feels really shallow.

Redfall looks interesting. Oh. It's co-op. Nevermind. :(

We're never getting another Prey again are we?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Screw it - decided to replay Prey again. I'm no focusing on any specific build just unlocking powers I need/think will be fun at the time. Hard difficulty - everyone says the game is too easy but I'm bad at games and I've found it's been the perfect balance between making fights tense and actually having to use resources and becoming frustrated with lack of progress.

Something about how "real" Talos One feels just scratches an itch for me, kind of like the first time I played Bioshock but more so. Been having a great time exploring slowly and scouring every inch of the station even though this is my third playthrough. It still feels rewarding.

until the other night my drat cat jumped up and somehow hit the quick load button and I lost some progress :downs:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It doesn't hurt that I finally upgraded to a high-refresh 1440p monitor and while Prey's graphics aren't mind blowing or cutting-edge, the game looks great even today and I love a lot of the stylistic choices. Even runs decently even on my old RX 580.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Phigs posted:

I don't really care for my personal enjoyment

this is an absolutely insane thing to say in a thread about a video game in a video game forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

So anyone try Weird West?

I tried it really wanting to like it and was pretty much immediately turned off by the isometric overhead view. I mean, I knew this going in because of early screen shots, but aiming was a pain in the rear end and I kept shooting in to the sides of hills.