Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I have only very vague recollections of the original Prey, but I do remember being astounded by it, particularly all the warped space and gravity tricks that were novel. It's a little strange that it's a totally new setting, but they did the same thing with Quake 1/2 and both were perfectly good games. Plus, the strength of the Prey name alone and association with DH2 will pull me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Not especially a spoiler since it's a fairly hard location to miss, but on the bridge, I found a way to go behind the Looking Glass screens. There was multiple levels of pipes back there, and I got up to what I think was the fourth level? I looked around but didn't find anything. Did I miss something?

I mean, maybe they just had it set up for worldbuilding, but I thought something might have been hidden up there.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Power plant question: There's a Power Plant Control Room door (if I remember correctly), but there's a fuckoff electrical panel just past the door which will kill me if I try and go in. Is there an alternate route, or do I basically need the electrical resistance Typhon power?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Rookersh posted:

Gloo Gun stops electrical panels from zapping.

The problem in that instance is you basically have the door, then the electrical panel is right on the wall next to the door such that if you enter to get line of sight on the panel, you get a bolt of electricity to the face.

Unless there's something I'm missing...?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Rookersh posted:

Can you throw an EMP grenade around/at it? EMP can go through walls and also shuts those panels off.

:stare:

I didn't even think of that, and it makes sense. I've just been gloo-ing all the ones I've seen so far. Just tried it now and it worked a treat.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

This was five or six pages ago, but someone suggested a DLC where you're a Mimic. It got tossed off as a joke, but I actually think that could work. I'm thinking back to the Alien campaign of AVP2 where you started off as a Facehugger, then switched to the Chestburster gnawing your way out of a chest, then to a grown alien. Start off as a Mimic, stealth your way through stuff, end up releasing a Phantom which you then switch to. Not sure if you could justify going into the floaty aliens, but it's there.

The narrative might be a little weird given the Typhons' form of consciousness (would they even be sapient?), but it's a possibility.

Anyways, I just ended up plowing through the last few quests tonight after deciding I didn't really need to faff about with the remaining side quests. I liked the ending, even if it was a bit heavily hinted at. Earth being punked was a bummer, I thought it was business as usual down there with Yu-Typhon just being another test subject on the station. I was really expecting to find myself looking at both Morgan and Alex.

Game was really worth the full price of admission, but I'm not sure I'd go through it again, even though I did pure-human this runthrough, which leaves open the possibility of Typhon-only or mixture. I've seen pretty much the whole story and that suffices for me.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I always took the multiple schematics to be for the people that are pretty oblivious in video games. Throw a bunch of weapons everywhere, then to keep ammo / recycling under control a bit, throw some schematics in too. Not perfect, but further hedges against a player going through an entire game without seeing one or more of the guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

ToxicFrog posted:

- the boss fights suck rear end and investing in the "delete this combat encounter" aug is highly recommended, since (unlike DX1) there is no non-combat bypass for them

They actually did implement other options in Director's Cut, but yeah that's a miss overall.