Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I didn't turn the music off, but I did turn it down. It doesn't matter if the mimics retreat or not, sometimes even if you immediately splatter the mimic you're subjected to FIGHT MUSIC until you leave the area or trigger some kind of transition. Hopefully that gets toned down in the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I decided to finally play the new doom while waiting for this game, I forgot how bad the pre release media was. It is a Good Game though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I can't imagine trying to play this on a console. Maybe I'm just bad but fighting mimics was a pain in the rear end and the UI was incredibly fiddly. Really hope the PC version doesn't have serious tech issues but if not then it'll be a great game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd say combat is functional. About on par for games of this sort.

Whatever control issues people were having they don't appear to be present for kb/mouse.

I think the input lag issues were specific to PS4, I didn't have any problems on Xbone. The UI is clearly designed for PC though and the experience is not great on console. Definitely a PC game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Game is good. Like, real good. The music is way less lovely than it was in the demo although still annoying, I turned it down to like 40% which has been nice. No tech issues, running great on a GTX 970.

comatose posted:

Just a heads up for anyone buying this for PC in Australia from a real shop, theres no game on this disc. It just has the steam installer thing and then you get to download 18gb on our amazing internet.

Lmao it's one thing to make you download a day one patch but not even putting the game on it at all? That's some next level poo poo right there. They really have totally given up on retail.

Innerguard posted:

I have expected the code for the safe outside the simulation to be 0451 or some derivative thereof.

Wait for it.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 5, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I cannot wait to see the crazy rear end sequence breaking poo poo that people get up to in this game once it's been out for a bit. Every time I think I'm being clever and trying something that most games would be like 'haha no gently caress you' it actually works. Most times it turns out the devs anticipated that and they put something to reward you. I go through rooms I've been in half a dozen times except this time I look UP and there's some poo poo there waiting for me. Goddamn this is a good game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
People who like the interface are presumably all on PC. It's great there! Console blows though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Something that was totally unexpected and very cool: the zero g exterior of the space station. It's like a fast travel/shortcut system and some extra exploration!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone, without being very specific, tell me how far into the game do I need to be to find a neuromod blueprint. Like I just want to know mostly if its something I will be forced to find or I have to be vigilant to look out for.

You will have to look for it, I don't think the game sends you there. If you want to know what zone it's in, it's somewhere in the Neuromod department, the one you get out of at the start of the game.

I decided to go for it and killed January after he killed December so, uhh, let's see how this goes. If it comes down to me bumbling around the station without a clue what to do next, I'm all for it.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

I'm a subversive player that jumped into the rotor blades of the chopper in the intro, earning an achievement for it. :thumbsup:

Aww dammit I did that in the demo and laughed super hard but I didn't do it in the full version. Next run, I guess.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 6, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Nobody.

And, like, I mean that. You get some minor direction from other characters who are hanging about, and Alex as usual, but other than that your plot direction is completely gone if you blow January and December away. It's the first time I think I have ever seen that happen. Even Oblivion, which prided itself on letting you kill anybody you wanted, outright wouldn't have any contingencies for the main quest if you killed one of the more plot-important NPCs.

Yeah I did this for my first run and I'm having a great time just wandering around this giant rear end space station finding stuff to do.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's a technopath in there who immediately starts loving your poo poo up, you have to sprint out right away because it lights up the whole entryway with its electrical attack. Disruptor will wreck it if you have it.

E: if you literally can't move before you die then you need to heal and repair first

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yes, there is an achievement for it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Antti posted:

I probably haven't read all the Evacuation Day memoirs yet but that sounds about right. My own theory was grey goo and nanomachine research would've been banned because of it, which would partly explain Transtar's interest in alien poo poo. However if nanomachines were actually a thing in this setting, they'd probably be loving around with those on Talos-1 too, and I've yet to see any evidence of that.

It's probably better if they keep it a little mysterious.

There are three total books, and there's a lot of context clues that pin it down (I think). Here's what I've got: There's a loading screen hint which references the Evacuation as leading to a reform in the usage of recyclers, which implies that it was indeed some kind of grey goo incident. The dog's name in the first book is Aleeza which the author translates to "Joy", google says it could be either Hebrew or Arabic but the Hebrew specifically says Joy. The author mentions compulsory military service and drives a M35 truck in the story. Based on the Hebrew, the conscription, and the M35 (US military model truck), I'm going to say it happened in Israel. I think that Transtar North was a different thing, because that would be a weird name for an Israeli facility, but who knows.

edit: oh and there are bomb shelters in the city, which is another Israeli thing.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 13, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

Do we really need to spoiler evacuation discussion? It's like 3 whole text files, a mention in an audio log and some lore in a loading screen.

That said I did get the impression that it's the recycler tech running rampant. What I'm confused about is how the response seemed to involve attacking it with weaponry, how does that help with a deconstruction field running rampant?

I'm not going to spoiler since it's all speculation anyway. The weapons use confuses me too, but the third book flat out says it was a science experiment gone wrong. Maybe a rogue AI deconstructing things? The army just being dumb and dropping bombs on gray goo?

Come to think of it, that setting would make for a good DLC.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jan posted:

Okay, Mikhaila's is the one I was worried about -- I wasn't sure reading emails from other people's terminals counted.

I guess it's bugged anyway, I got the achievement a few minutes ago and I clearly haven't read all emails. :confuoot:

This isn't a bug, all of the collection achievements trigger before you get everything. You can miss a few of each and still get them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I never found turrets very useful. I guess if you aren't taking more than 2 or 3 Typhon powers and you really want a Typhon Free Zone you could set up a bunch of fortified turrets but they're still vulnerable to getting knocked over by a single Mimic. It's a lot of investment for not much of a payoff.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Truecon420 posted:

You can use the dart nerf gun extremely effectively against the cystoids. They follow anything that moves, cept typhon

This, and also if you gloo the nest before it pops it will just die without spawning any cysts.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yeah, I think maxed out with security buffs the golden gun does 28 or 29 damage, plus better accuracy. It's a straight upgrade.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Also regarding the shuttle I feel like destroying it is clearly the right choice, given all the hints across the rest of the station that imply that the Mimics have been out and about for quite a while before they attack.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Trip report on my "kill everyone including January" run, first time through the game. Full game spoilers:

I killed January after it killed December, all other NPCs were killed immediately upon meeting them except Mikhaila. I got her meds and revealed to her that I had killed her father before I shot her in the face. I was just doing it for achievements, but it made the run a little extra special psycho. I really enjoyed wandering around mostly directionless and scouring the station clean. I did find and kill everyone but didn't get the achievement for killing everyone, apparently I have to personally murder them? Some died to the fake chef in crew quarters so I guess that screwed me over. Unless there's a way to kill Danielle, she was the only person whose death I did not 100% confirm. I thought about going outside and trying to find the cafeteria window, maybe see if she was around and killable, but that's a pain in the rear end.

Anyway it was an interesting way to go through the game for the first time. It was a whole different experience from what I am reading about from others. I missed literally everything to do with the survivors in cargo bay and Igwe and all that. Spaced Igwe out of his container before I ever met him and shotgunned all the cargo bay dudes. The little quest from Dahl to pick off the last few survivors was funny and the IT supply closet is chock full of scrap but nothing else fancy if anyone was wondering. The ending was lackluster since psychos just get "welp, this one's not empathic at all, let's try again". Was kinda hoping for more than that. A recounting of all my horrific accomplishments, maybe. Overall it was a good time and I'm glad I did it, so now I can go through and have a whole different game for the next run. Empathy time!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Escape pod chat: In the emails it's "oops we just found out the parts for the pods suck and will fail" which implies that it was a mistake, because if that was the plan all along why would you tell some rando engineer about it? But then on the other hand it's clearly intentional because like other people said, they don't want any Typhon escaping. Maybe it was all Part of the Plan™.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dogen posted:

Yeah I think the guy tells Alex that and Alex is like "huh that's weird but uh hey keep it to yourself for now"

Actually Alex is the one who sends the email in the first place, which is why it's weird. If that's part of the conspiracy, why willingly release that information?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So if you float outside and shoot over to one of the billboards, you'll find a guy dead all tangled up in some chords. He died while trying to hack the sign to change the message on it. If you finish his hack, the big rear end floating billboard will say "Escape Pods are fake"

Right, this is the end result of the email from Alex, because the engineer he told tries to tell the woman he's stalking and accidentally emails a guy with a similar name. That's what confuses me. It just seems like a pointless thing for Alex to do if the engineer didn't already know there was an issue with the pods.

On the other hand this is my favorite background plot in the game, because the end result is that the engineer tells the woman to meet him in the only functional pod in the event of a disaster, and she does. You can either fix the hatch and free them, or fire the pod without fixing it and kill them. If you kill them, you can find their corpses and it turns out he brought wine and she brought a goddamn stun gun. That got a good laugh out of me.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Escape Pod answer.

Alex didn't originally plan to tell Frank. Frank checked them on the side and realized none of them actually worked so he ordered in new parts to fix them. Alex told him the parts weren't the right fit and he'd get him the "right" parts to get him off the case. Frank fixed up one of the pods on the sly, and told Emma the secret, accidentally emailing one of the engineers who had a similar name. Engineer guy went out to inform the rest of the crew in the only way he could think of.

This makes sense then, I must have missed something where Frank finds out the pods don't work on his own.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Many were definitely more fun to fight against. SS2 had a lot of "oh god what the gently caress is that" moments that Prey really lacks.

E: thinking about it I just now realized that mind controlled humans are the equivalent of SS2 protocol droids

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 17, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you do want to go long range, the golden pistol becomes a laser beam once you fully upgrade accuracy. If you crouch it completely shrinks the crosshairs together and you can snipe away.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

the black husserl posted:

Last bit from me on this, since I don't wanna hijack the thread with walls of blacktext and I probably should do more exploration on my own. Appreciate your perspective!

How are they congruent? They have totally different outcomes, which seems to be the main choice of the endgame: Destroy the Typhon and end the threat, or Preserve the Typhon and save the technology. Alex, Igwe, and Mikhaila clearly state that Alex's Nullwave device won't destroy the Typhon - only defeat and subdue them so Talos can be saved and the Neuromods preserved. The October Transcribe has Morgan claim that Morgan's Nullwave device actually will destroy the Typhon for good (which necessitates destroying the Neuromods, since a huge reveal in the game is that ALL neuromods are created from Typhons).

If you're saying that Alex's Nullwave device really will destroy all the Typhons and Neuromods, then what the hell kind of choice are you actually making in the endgame? That would make it come down to Destroy the Typhons vs. Destroy the Typhons (and keep a half-destroyed hunk of space metal intact). That's not really much of a choice...

Weird, I completely missed it. Guess I've got some backtracking to do.

You really need to beat the game and see the final cutscenes, is all I can say really. Just pick one. I can 100% guarantee you that you are reading way too much into this, there is no Secret Third Ending.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You will become much more powerful later. The last few hours of the game are pretty much about choosing how you want to instakill whatever is in front of you.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's too bad there was no game within a game like the SS2 game boy thing. That little RPG was fun and you even got a cyber mod for beating it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Just found out that the escape pod ending doesnt count for the no neuro mods run cheevo. This is going to be a slog.

It's not so much an ending as a fail state. I don't really get why people think they're doing speed runs by glitching to it, when it's not the actual end of the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Yeah it makes sense. I really start feeling the mineral shortage. But superstar of this run is the golden guns. If you get a Technopath in a corner you can actually keep it stunlocked with the shotgun.

If you bust out the stun gun, you don't even need the corner! :science:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Stun gun is a really good opener but upgraded only one level it's not awesome.

I remember it being a perma stunlock even with no upgrades, but I could be wrong.

For anyone else who's trying to 100% this game and having trouble with the "kill all humans" achievement, apparently you need to kill 42 people total. Everyone has to die by your hand, no suicides, no phantom kills, gotta catch em all. You can track your kills in statistics and make sure you're credited for a kill every time you encounter someone to prevent losing the cheevo. You do not have to kill Danielle.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

brain dammej posted:

I ended the game with several quest items in my inventory that I never used for, well, a quest. A wedding ring, a "satellite psychotronic transistor", and a superfruit.

Who or what should I have done to get the associated quests? I assume the last one doesn't have a real quest 'end' due to its effects, but since it was marked as a quest item, I was curious.

Odd. Were you killing everyone? You should have run across at least one of those.

Ring - quest for a dude in Cargo Bay, Psychowhatsit - slap it on a satellite to stop Nightmares spawning (Igwe gives the quest I think but maybe you can do it without him?), Superfruit - eat it! You get full health I think, or at least a nice big heal.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Could be, need to test it. But at the elevator fight I had no ammo for it so that's how I found out about the shotgun :D
Once you get some ammo and slap some upgrades on the stun gun it is an absolute monster. Kills technopaths in 3-4 hits even outside combat focus.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kurzon posted:

Operator dispensers have a limit of 3 operators before shutting down. Does this value replenish over time?

It does not. Once you're out, you're out.

This actually reminds me of one thing that bothers me (minor mid to late game spoilers) - So January, December and October are all operators that Morgan made. Presumably there's others and we know Morgan was requisitioning operator parts left and right. But January comes out of an operator dispenser in your office right in front of your eyes. Where was he broadcasting from before that? Why can't he make another "body" if you kill him? What was Morgan making, the blueprints? Why would he need operator parts for that?

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 21, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Two Owls posted:

Hello I have recently completed the videogame Prey

Reddit suggests Danielle Sho is a SHODAN nod. Apart from the name, I don't really see it, but it's nice nonetheless.

Well, uhh... they both have anger management issues I guess?

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a way to restore oxygen/atmosphere to the Shuttle Bay?

I don't think there is. It doesn't really matter anyway, since you have infinite oxygen. Presumably this was originally going to be a sort of hazardous area that you could fix from life support, or something, but then they removed oxygen limitations from the game. Thank god for that. Exploring outside the station would have been hellish.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
An upgraded melee weapon from Typhon tech like the crystal shard in SS2 would have been nice. Or a power fist or something. One thing that made SS2 so fun was the sheer number of weapons, three different skills with completely different weapon selections plus psionics.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ending question:

On my empathy run I got a line from the Danielle operator about how a lot of mind controlled humans were killed. I didn't kill anyone though, just blasted them with the stun gun. I got the achievements for not killing anyone and saving everyone so I know I didn't screw it up, is that just a generic line she gives to everyone or is something bugged?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

I didn't get that line. It's possible that some of the controlled humans wandered into fire or some other environmental hazard, which sucks but it can happen

Nah, I double checked everyone to make sure they were ok after every fight. I made sure to tase the guy closest to the fire in crew quarters first to make sure he didn't hit it. Did you tase everyone or kill the telepath first? Or knock them out of it with whichever power frees them?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

I'm curious about this too. I accidentally killed him early on since he just started whacking me and I figured that mind controlled meant his brain was toast anyways (wasn't until I got to Arboretum that I learned otherwise). is there any dialogue or anything saving him or does he just go unconscious?

There's no way to release a mind controlled human without them going unconscious. He just disappears once you leave the area, I don't think you ever see him again. The code is for the safe inside DeVries' office next door.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What about the lady in the greenhouse? She stays conscious if you manage to kill the controller fast enough

Ok, amend that to "There is no way to release that specific guy without him becoming unconscious".

The whole "Nightmare is tied to neuromods/Typhon powers" thing is total BS. Supposedly the devs said you could spawn it just by using a whole bunch of Neuromods at once and it would hunt you down but I've used over 50 at one time and nothing happened. It just randomly spawns in a few set locations throughout the game based on your progression, no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Holy poo poo that stab in the back when (end end-game) January leaves you to die on Talos by messaging Dahl waiting in the shuttle and telling him "Hi this is Morgan, i can't make it, fly without me" after you turn on the self-destruction. Top 10 anime betrayals

Haha that's great, I haven't done that one yet. Can you just blast him and bail out in Alex's pod if you have the keycard?

e: never mind answered above