Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought of an animal I like again, this time it's donkeys! Donkeys look grumpy, and have a reputation for such, hence the "grumpy" tag. But they can be very sweet, and they are very clever!

There are stories about donkeys.

quote:

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?”
So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.”
So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.”
Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?”
The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.
“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:
“Please all, and you will please none.”

There are donkeys in the Bible

quote:

21 Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the Moabite officials. 22 But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the Lord stood in the road to oppose him. Balaam was riding on his donkey, and his two servants were with him. 23 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand, it turned off the road into a field. Balaam beat it to get it back on the road.

24 Then the angel of the Lord stood in a narrow path through the vineyards, with walls on both sides. 25 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it pressed close to the wall, crushing Balaam’s foot against it. So he beat the donkey again.

26 Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left. 27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff. 28 Then the Lord opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”

29 Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now.”

30 The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”

“No,” he said.

31 Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.

32 The angel of the Lord asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me.[a] 33 The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.”

34 Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned. I did not realize you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go back.”

35 The angel of the Lord said to Balaam, “Go with the men, but speak only what I tell you.” So Balaam went with Balak’s officials.

36 When Balak heard that Balaam was coming, he went out to meet him at the Moabite town on the Arnon border, at the edge of his territory. 37 Balak said to Balaam, “Did I not send you an urgent summons? Why didn’t you come to me? Am I really not able to reward you?”

38 “Well, I have come to you now,” Balaam replied. “But I can’t say whatever I please. I must speak only what God puts in my mouth.”

39 Then Balaam went with Balak to Kiriath Huzoth. 40 Balak sacrificed cattle and sheep, and gave some to Balaam and the officials who were with him. 41 The next morning Balak took Balaam up to Bamoth Baal, and from there he could see the outskirts of the Israelite camp.

Donkeys are Equus africanus, a relative of the horse Equus ferus. They have been domesticated for about 5,000 years. The un-domesticated donkey, the African wild rear end, still exists... but it is critically endangered. Only about 500 survive. It will likely join the tarpan, predecessor of the horse, and aurochs, predecessor of domestic cattle, in extinction by the very humans who changed their species into slavish creatures.

Like many longtime domesticated species, there are many words for different demographics. A female is a jenny, a male is a jack, a baby is a foal. A jack and a female horse produce a mule. A male horse and a jenny produce a hinny. Generally speaking, humans breed for mules and not hinnys.

Donkeys are loving cute as hell and retain their dorsal stripe and exhibit a shoulder stripe, and are a good example of countershading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Donkeys have huge dicks.

Bubsy 3-D 2 Deep 4 Me
Sep 24, 2013

Young Orc
I had no idea asses were endangered. Where have all the asses gone? who will save the asses?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Unlike horses (60 million) or cattle (1.5 billion), there are only about 40 million donkeys, which is still more than llamas (7 million). However, a donkey is a far superior pack animal to a llama, which can only carry about 70 lbs. Donkeys easily carry over 100 lb loads.

Donkeys tend to be long-lived, and can live to be up to 50 or so years old.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
never get between a man and his rear end

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Donkeys have huge dicks.

/thread

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Donkeys have huge dicks.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I lived next to a Llama farm for awhile and Llama's are the superior animal cause watching them spit at people is pretty funny.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pick wants to gently caress a donkey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I guess I'll have to go back to my man-hating threads that people take seriously~

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i like donkeys too. we should go ride a donkeyu together sometime

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Pick posted:

I guess I'll have to go back to my man-hating threads that people take seriously~

Yeah. Seriously. Let's go with that word.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pick went to the donkey show in the Doug Fir but like everything in the Doug Fir it was faked

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

donkey date with pick. trip report incoming

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
Some day I want to go to a restaurant where I can order a big ole donkey steak

That way I can honestly tell girls I eat rear end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Donkeys, like domestic horses, are highly variable. They can weigh over 1,000 lbs, or less than 150 for the minis. The size of the African wild rear end can also vary substantially, probably because they are desert-adapted creatures and are very sensitive to the conditions of their habitat. This is probably also a factor in why donkey gestation is so long, often over a year.

Donkeys can also be bred with zebras, creating zonkeys

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Donkey in Spanish is burro. I would like to one day pet one. Thanks for reading.

E: Another word for donkey is asno.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pick posted:

Or make an owl thread. I like owls. :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Donkey in Spanish is burro. I would like to one day pet one. Thanks for reading.

There's donkeys all over the place? You've really never contacted one?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Pick posted:

Donkeys, like domestic horses, are highly variable. They can weigh over 1,000 lbs, or less than 150 for the minis. The size of the African wild rear end can also vary substantially, probably because they are desert-adapted creatures and are very sensitive to the conditions of their habitat. This is probably also a factor in why donkey gestation is so long, often over a year.

Donkeys can also be bred with zebras, creating zonkeys

let's go ride donkeys through the grand canyon. i'll buy you drive

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hell Yeah posted:

let's go ride donkeys through the grand canyon. i'll buy you drive

You can't buy the Grand Canyon. Theodore Roosevelt made it a National Monument to protect it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

no i mean i'll pay to rent the donkeys and go on the tour if you drive us there.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

like obviously i can't buy the grand canyon. i'm not made of canyon dollars

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pick posted:

I have pet and fed goats, but never a donkey or a cow. I also want to pet a cow, they seem like good people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

I have pet and fed goats, but never a donkey or a cow. I also want to pet a cow, they seem like good people.

What the gently caress? Go to a state fair, you can pet all the whatevers

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Pick posted:

donkeysmeet.org

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"African wild rear end" was actually my nickname in college OP

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I was going to ask what kind of hellscape still has state fairs but I guess "Wisconsin" is the answer.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

I was going to ask what kind of hellscape still has state fairs but I guess "Wisconsin" is the answer.

Minnesota has the best state fair : T

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

That is one slick lookin' donkey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Minnesota has the best state fair : T

I volunteered for the MN state fair for like four years and it sucks rear end

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I saw Hank Williams Jr. at the Missouri State Fair when I was 19, it was great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you want the Minnesota State Fair experience, buy a bunch of lovely tollhouse chocolate chip cookies then stomp them into the concrete while huffing donut vapors

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Pick posted:

If you want the Minnesota State Fair experience, buy a bunch of lovely tollhouse chocolate chip cookies then stomp them into the concrete while huffing donut vapors

Don't kink shame.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

OK I'm hard now.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

now THIS is a good thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Donkeys don't really get me going, but goats are really cool

They used to have a TV livecam of the baby goat pen at the petting zoo here and the goats would jump on eachothers backs and poo poo they ruled I wanna hug a goat

Faffel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread