Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

They headlined a bunch of festivals last year and are doing so again this year, and will probably release an album sooner rather than later.

I'm seeing them for the first time at Pitchfork, I'm pretty excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LCD is performing on Saturday Night Live on May 6th, which means sometime between now and then we're probably getting at least one song. God bless this lovely year.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

You want to hear a weird, yet true thing?

LCD Soundsystem is performing on Saturday Night Live. Tonight. That's a weird thing to say.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Don't forget the tour (like Murphy apparently forgot the entire middle of the country)

LCD Soundsystem:

09-08-09 Copenhagen, Denmark - Vega
09-11-12 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
09-13-14 Paris, France - L'Olympia
09-16-17 Manchester, England - The Warehouse Project
09-19 Glasgow, Scotland - The Barrowland Ballroom
09-22 London, England - Alexandra Palace
10-17 Washington, DC - The Anthem
10-21-22 Atlanta, Georgia - Coca Cola Roxy Theatre
10-25 Miami, FL - James L. Knight Center Theater
10-27 New Orleans, LA - Voodoo Music + Arts Experience
10-30 Dallas, TX - The Bomb Factory
10-31 Austin, TX - Austin360 Amphitheater
11-03 Detroit, MI - Masonic Temple Theatre
11-09 St. Paul, MN - Roy Wilkins Auditorium
11-11 Broomfield, CO - 1st Bank Center
11-14 San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
11-17-18-19-20-21 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
12-02 Montréal, Québec - QC Place Bell Arena
12-03 Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre
12-05-06 Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore
12-08 Boston, MA - Agganis Arena
12-11-12 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
12-14-15 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
12-17-18-19 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
12-21-22-23 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel

I mean, I guess I'm already seeing them in Chicago over the summer, but I still might try to drive up to St. Paul on a Thursday night.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

angrygodofjebus posted:

They just killed Pitchfork in Chicago. Call the Police is absurdly good live.

seconding this. it was nothing but hits and the two new singles, and they're a very tight live band. I wish it had started about an hour later so it would have been dark the entire time, but watching the sunset was pretty dope too.

For whatever reason, Home and American Dream were the songs I felt the most last night. American Dream had that very "end of prom night" vibe to it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm sure there's some sort of reason they waited until after Pitchfork to announce them (building hype because of their dope performance?) but LCD is, in fact, coming to Chicago for 2 nights at the Aragon. Shows were also added in Nashville, DC and Detroit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

You know how every movie star these days is so likable, like "oh man I want to hang out with Chris Pratt, he just seems so down to earth" or whatever? (replace Chris Pratt with whoever, it's like 80% of hollywood these days)

I think James Murphy would probably be awful to hang out with, but it's OK because he makes some bombass loving music. Some of my favorite "this man is a god drat miser" quotes from that interview (in which he uses the term "dingdong" at least twice):

quote:

I don’t want to be subsumed into popular culture and played on the radio next to some garbage music. I don’t want some kid’s first experience with my band to be because they heard us on the radio and just liked it more than they liked some other loving song.

quote:

And those kinds of feelings got mixed in with the fact that we had booked this Madison Square Garden showThe April 2, 2011, “final show” at Madison Square Garden lasted almost four hours. When Murphy announced the band’s return four years later, some fans were less than thrilled: “I think if your band reunites less than 10 years after your advertised last show, you have to refund all the money from it,” tweeted Pitchfork writer Stuart Berman. and then realized the show’s promoters had no faith in us. They were trying to come up with big-name openers for us because they didn’t think we could sell out the place by ourselves. One of the openers they suggested was Big Boi from Outkast. Why on earth would Big Boi open for us? Big Boi was in one of the biggest, most important hip-hop — no, one of the biggest and most important acts of all time. It didn’t make any sense. But behind that idea was the promoters’ belief that we just weren’t going to sell any tickets unless there [was] some extra element. So I got mad on the phone with them about it. I was like, “Well, how about it’s our last loving show?” And I hung up the phone. Then I was like, I guess that’ll be our last show then.

quote:

Also, nobody can afford anything real. No one can buy a loving apartment in this city so you might as well buy burrata. A plumber used to be able to buy an apartment. Now you can have an advanced degree from an Ivy League school and you’re still like, “I can’t buy an apartment but I did get this ham from Spain that my friend smuggled in. It’s totally illegal ham.”

quote:

Some ding dong wearing wraparound sunglasses and a backward hat and nothing but Under Armour clothing is absolutely sure that they are loving cool as poo poo, and there’s nothing you can say to make them deviate from that. It’s such a weird thing.

quote:

It’s changed because cool has become uncompelling to me. It used to have some meaning. Iggy Pop at his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech, where he kept saying, “This is cool; and that’s cool” — you could see that the word “cool” had a specific, pretty hard-won meaning to him. At this moment in history it’s been emptied of meaning. I used to hate cool stuff because I was jealous of it. Then I thought I would try cool stuff to see if it was fun. Then I was cool. Now I’m just old. That’s the arc. Also, for me to try and be cool now … good god. I’m not going to dye my hair.

quote:

There was an ad, and I won’t say who it was for — a corny clothing company — and they shot a whole video for us of people lip-syncing to one of our songs. I looked at it and almost threw up in my mouth. I said there’s no way they can use this song. They’re like, “Okay. We’ll double the offer.” “Yeah, you’re not hearing me. You can’t use this loving song.” “Okay. We hear you loud and clear …We’ll double it again.” By breaking up my band, I’d left a lot more on the table than what they were offering. Did they think I was going to sacrifice all that for some lovely ad? So, yeah, it felt good to say no to that. It felt really good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The band performed on Kimmel during his Brooklyn week. The performance is great but i have to imagine that looking out on a crowd of that size not dancing or moving or anything is really annoying.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yeah, good to know. For the three shows starting tonight in Chicago, all it says is 7:30 but no idea if that's doors, when the opener goes on, or what.

e: doors at 6:30, DJ set at 7:30, LCD at 9pm if anyone else was curious.

I wish I had seen this before I got here, I would have stopped for ice cream...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

neon909 posted:

Also "American Dream" is still a good album, but not half as good as any of the previous three, discuss

disagree, it's better than the S/T. but not really close to Sound of Silver or This is Happening

• Locked thread