Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Alrighty, I might now have a ton of time in this game or really any time at all playing it, but I do have time to look at Wikipedia entries and absorb knowledge for the future! While we won't know for sure what Jack might have dug up with those Hawks or what the Spanish might be interested in selling, I think we can make some reasonably well educated guesses based on whats been available.

-Reasonably top of the line equipment from last generation. Our main two attack craft are the Gripen C and the 105B. The former is the baseline for the Gripen, a number of A variants from the initial production batch were upgraded to this variant, but Saab is already starting to roll out an E/F variant upgrade for the C/D (C is single seater, D is dual seater). We payed for quality here that's for certain, the Gripen is a well known 4th generation fighter and represents a plane known for a relatively low operational costs compared to other fighters while still offering a comparable platform. We're also using newer missiles (the Meteor entered service 2016 compared to 1991 for the AMRAM). The Saab 105 has been around since the 60's, its land attack variants haven't seen a ton of use but statistically should place similar to the Dragonfly.

Taking that information we can probably extrapolate what might be available.

If the Spanish are planning on liquidating a frigate to the private sector, than it will likely be a Santa Maria Class Frigate-. These puppies are being phased out by the Alvaro de Banzan class, and while they've received midlife upgrades, if the Spanish were to let go of some ships due to budget, it'll likely be these knock off Oliver Hazard Perry classes rather than the nice and newer native design. The Santa Maria will be capable of holding two seaborne helos (not sure if it would come with Seahawks), but won't have as much missile diversity as later ships due to a lack of Aegis and VLS systems (these ships will use the older Mark 13 launching system rather than the newer, sexier VLS system). Unless I woefully misjudge what the Spanish are willing to give up expect to possibly work with that class of ship, which will be speced to fire RIM-66's and Harpoons. We'll have some diversity for our helos though.

For the Hawk Jack mentioned, it'll likely be the 128 BAE Systems Hawk These guys will be like newer sleeker versions of our 105s with some additional ATA possibilities, however the Saab is lighter and has a significantly better fuel economy and can carry a roughly similar ground attack payload to the Hawk. Really for COIN operations both are solid enough planes and can even be well suited for anti helo operations so either way having more of these kinds of planes in our back pockets will be good as they enable us to have more mission flexibility.

In short, we might have a possible Oliver Hazard Perry and some decent ground attack planes coming into our inventory in the future. So it would behoove us to ask ourselves how we can best maximize the use of said equipment for the long term profit of our corporation. A frigate will open the door to possible anti-piracy operations which can be be a boon in this uncertain world, the Santa Maria class is a solid design for open sea and littoral operations, and with the right helo combination and our ground attacks modified for surface warfare, we can have a potent force at the ready. Keeping our Gripens alive is key too as they are a versatile craft that works well in conjunction with 5 of the 6 primary warfare areas*

We also will want to expand our helo force at the earliest possibility. Ideally we should use a platform that will be capable of flying out t sea an flying over land as well. MH/SH 60's would be my primary recommendation though a number of offerings could be out there,

*Mine warefare is an area we have little gear in place to counter.

I also want to echo everyone by saying Yooper I love the effort placed in this LP so far, keep up the awesome work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Was the frigate thing serious? That thing has a hundred+ crew. The running cost has got to be INSANE. And it's not like we can drive it to Tibet, so it anchors ( :v: ) us to seaside missions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We'll contract it out with AngerPEACE while the planes go do other things.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Was the frigate thing serious? That thing has a hundred+ crew. The running cost has got to be INSANE. And it's not like we can drive it to Tibet, so it anchors ( :v: ) us to seaside missions.

counterpoint: if you have a boat it makes it significantly easier to steal other boats

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Orders are Final

The jets are fueling. Weapons crews are loading. Operation SeaFood Buffet will begin shortly.

I'll run the scenario tonight and get it posted. I'm trying to get fancy with Resolve but we'll see...

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

counterpoint: if you have a boat it makes it significantly easier to steal other boats

I am 100% behind becoming pirates. Eco-terrorist pirates.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

As long as we're eco-terrorist pirates I'm completely on board as well. Normal piracy is just boring.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Yooper posted:

Orders are Final

The jets are fueling. Weapons crews are loading. Operation SeaFood Buffet will begin shortly.

I'll run the scenario tonight and get it posted. I'm trying to get fancy with Resolve but we'll see...

I dunno what that means, but I expect dead Asians and ruined infrastructure :black101:

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Yooper posted:

Orders are Final

Alright here we go! Let's see wether we're made from the right stuff!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get going, boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGg-u0B8VWs

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
While we wait for the mission, a random organizational effort port!

:eng101: SO YOU WANNA MAKE AN AIRWING

A squadron will be the most basic unit used to organize the aviation assets of a country/ organization. In general you will 12 to 24 planes in a squadron depending on your country and the mission of said squadron. In general a squadron can be composed of one type of aircraft, though some organizations (such as the US Marine Corp) will mix and match aircraft for their squadrons as they see fit. For example a USMC composite medium tilt-rotor squadron might compose of as much as 12 MV-22s, 6 AH-1s, 4 CH-53s, 3 UH-1s, and 6 AV-8s. In general though, sticking to the 12 to 24 rule of single types of aircraft is a good indicator to follow

Each squadron itself will be broken up into flights. Flights can be anywhere from 3 to 6 aircraft, but in general a good rule of thumb is that each flight will be 4 aircraft (hence where you get those images of four man fighter formations flying around). Those flights are then subdivided into sections, which is usually popularly imagined as a two planes (a fighter and his wingman). For a fighter/attack squadron, this two man formation will represent the absolute basic minimum for any kind of strike warfare. Transportation, patrol and other types of squadrons with larger planes will follow a similar organizational pattern though in these a section could compose of a single plane.

The squadron will slot into an air group or air wing depending on which country you are in. In general in each wing/group, you will have 2-4 squadrons as well as ground based assets used to support the mission of the wing/group.

For example, lets look at the 3rd Wing of the USAF:

• 3d Operations Group (Tail Code: AK)
3d Operations Support Squadron
90th Fighter Squadron (F-22A)
517th Airlift Squadron (C-12, C-17)
525th Fighter Squadron (F-22A)
962d Airborne Air Control Squadron (E-3)
• 3d Maintenance Group
• 3d Mission Support Group
• 3d Medical Group
• Wing Staff Agencies

As one can see, there are several components of the wing. The first is that there is an operational and a support side. In many militaries, the support side is also considered a “squadron” or a “group” even if it remains ground side. Those assets will often be folded in the larger wing.

The “operational” side is where you get the actual aircraft that will do their jobs. In this example you have two squadrons of F-22s, a squadron of C-12 and C-17 Transports and a Squadron of E-3 AWACS for command and control. The squadrons of a group can be as diverse as the 3rd, or they could be highly specialized (for example the 1st fighter wing is composed solely of F-22s).

As our PMC builds up and expands its influence and builds its inventory, keeping in mind organizational doctrine and how the components of an airwing will operate is key. While we definitely aren’t as rigid as a traditional military, it pays to know how we keep all our ducks in a row and how we will build up our assets to meet the various challenges that might rise before us.

So far, our “Wing” looks something like this:

1st Fighter Squadron: Total of 8 JAS 39C Gripen to make 2 flights of four planes each.
1st Ground Attack Squadron: 6 SK60B Saab 105's Close Air Support to make 2 flights of three planes each.
1st Air Control Squadron: 1 Saab S100B AEW&C
1st Airlift Squadron 1 Airbus CN235 Cargo Plane
1st Air Mobility Squadron 1 KC135 Airborne Refueling

Looking at this wing, it looks to be a self-contained fighting force designed to basically be a one stop shop for all the mission assets needed to accomplish any mission in a theatre (the 18th Airwing the US has station in Japan is very similar to this, it has fighter, attack, air control, airlift and mobility squadrons in one wing). Normally, you would want 2 or 3 of the mobility and air control assets for redundancy and crew rotation purposes. Bringing our fighter and ground attack assets to 12 aircraft in each squadron would also add additional redundancy and capabilities, though for ground attack, that can be reduced to nine if we stick to three planes in each flight. Transport I’ll make a separate effort post since I’m not sure how that is handled in CMANO and how Yoopers is handling it. In general you want quite a few planes there so you minimize the number of flights to move crap.
In conclusion, as we look to acquire more stuff for our awesome company, lets remember to see how things slot into the overall organizational framework of the company’s airwing and prioritize what is needed for operational successes.

Yooper, how are our transport planes being used? Are we going to have missions in the future where we are airlifting stuff to people, or are our transports mainly for our own logistics? I noticed ground forces aren’t in CMANO so I wasn’t sure what we use most helos and transports for (attack helos for sea and sub warfare I can see and recon helos too).

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There's room for attack helos, but with their inherently short range in a world where double digit SAM's are the norm their usefulness is very much up to the mission maker.

There's a scenario for the Georgia War where you use Hinds to blast a mobile convoy for instance.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I know that the Indians are offering Hawks, but would it be possible to try and get some of their Jaguars instead? They'd be fairly fresh from a modernisation and would be a substantial upgrade on either Hawks or Sk60s in the air-to-ground role while also retaining some capability for defending themselves.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

And there's the Jimmy we all know and love. Welcome back, hope the Navy's treating you... passably, at least.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yooper, how are our transport planes being used? Are we going to have missions in the future where we are airlifting stuff to people, or are our transports mainly for our own logistics? I noticed ground forces aren’t in CMANO so I wasn’t sure what we use most helos and transports for (attack helos for sea and sub warfare I can see and recon helos too).

At the moment we'll simulate any transport duties using a ferry mission. Otherwise it's an assumed logistics unit going on boring supply runs. Though we may take on missions that require moving, or evac'ing assets.

Dandywalken posted:

There's room for attack helos, but with their inherently short range in a world where double digit SAM's are the norm their usefulness is very much up to the mission maker.

If we have them and you guys can eliminate the threats to them, we can definitely use them. But, like you said, in the world of SAM's helo's can be kind of crunchy.

Quinntan posted:

I know that the Indians are offering Hawks, but would it be possible to try and get some of their Jaguars instead? They'd be fairly fresh from a modernisation and would be a substantial upgrade on either Hawks or Sk60s in the air-to-ground role while also retaining some capability for defending themselves.

Our Man in Washington is working an angle. More on that as he sobers up. If he sobers up...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I should also mention that we need to buy that frigate.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
So I tested out the scenario, sending SK 60Bs at the bridge with various defenses in the valley. Some things I learned:

1) Rockets are really inaccurate. We'd have had to send a minimum of 3 planes to destroy the bridge if we had sent the SK 60Bs.

2) It's night time. Visually controlled AA, like a ZSU-57 or truck-mounted ZU-23-2, can't spot anything at night unless we fly right over their heads, and if they do spot something (or are cued by radar) they have a very low chance of hitting even an SK 60B flying at minimum altitude.

3) On the other hand, MANPADS have a decent chance to hit if they get a missile out. Even a Strela-2 or Blowpipe (lol) can have about a 25% chance to hit. Less than that if the plane is at the edge of its range and high up, but more than that if the plane is low and with a favourable aspect angle.

4) A single Shilka (or any radar-cued AA gun) will gently caress up an SK 60B the instant it opens fire. If they have just one of those defending the bridge then lol at trying to do an attack run with rockets. Shilkas also have Radar so you don't have to fly in its weapons range for it to gently caress you up -- see point 5.

5) Any Radar system defending the bridge will make it that much less likely an SK 60B can survive an attack run. They'll radio ahead and warn the MANPADS guys, who will be ready to launch on the plane the instant they classify it as hostile.

6) The only defense an SK 60B has against a MANPADS is to get in and out before they detect the plane and classify it as hostile. But that's a matter of luck and time. If the ground commander or MANPADS troopers have itchy trigger fingers (i.e. if their doctrine is set to fire on unknown contacts, not just those classified as hostile) then the planes will be shot at as soon as they're detected. If the planes stick around too long and let the guys on the ground get a look at them enough (or just fly over enough dudes with cell phones), they'll be classified as hostile and shot at.

7) Oh, yeah: If they're seen launching weapons at a friendly unit -- like a bridge -- then they'll instantly be classified as hostile and shot at.

So, yeah, it's really good that you guys didn't send the SK 60Bs at the bridge. We'd have had to be really lucky to get any of them back alive.

==

Finally, I've got a couple things to note:

Our S 100B AEW bird is really good. It can classify contacts with NCTR. The Litening III pod doesn't have IRST vs air targets, so none of our Gripens can't tell us anything about a bogey until they're close enough to get eyes on. Our AEW support, on the other hand, will use its Voodoo Radar Magic to classify contacts and tell us what model plane they are and what side they're on (if we consider them friendly or hostile).

Also, next time we want to plan loadouts, there's this: https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3226

Someone was complaining that we don't have a 2xIRIS-T + 2xMeteor loadout -- we do! It's called "A/A Meteor, Standard Intercept." It also comes with 3x Drop Tanks and has an estimated combat radius of 486 nmi.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I noticed ground forces aren’t in CMANO
They are; they're all in the "Facilities" subheading. Everything from tanks to technicals can be found in there.

On last thing, MISSION EDITOR SPOILERS FOR YOOPER'S EYES ONLY: <removed spoilers>

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 4, 2017

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crazycryodude posted:

And there's the Jimmy we all know and love. Welcome back, hope the Navy's treating you... passably, at least.

So far so good, 3 months of training down, another 1 to 2 years to go! :stare:

Yooper posted:

At the moment we'll simulate any transport duties using a ferry mission. Otherwise it's an assumed logistics unit going on boring supply runs. Though we may take on missions that require moving, or evac'ing assets.

Good to know! IF those are the kinds of missions we're expecting for the future that might tie into our logistical units, then sticking with medium transports might be the way for us to go. Team I can do some analysis if you all want if you want a run down of possible routes we can go for our logistics wing.

In addition if we are interested in developing a maritime patrolling wing (for anti or pro piracy, long range scouting, anti-sub warfare, recon, etc) I can also work up an analysis on this as well, we have a ton of options here and having a rough idea of assets we could develop would be good to have.

Quinntan posted:

The Jaguar is a fairly solid ground attack unit, if we want I can also track down some more information on that and comparable units. If Jack keeps pulling through we might want a range of units in our wish list for possible expansion and an idea of what we'd like (would we like 3-4 Jaguars, or 3ish F-111 Aardvarks or 1-2 Tornado's for example?).

Psawhn posted:

They are; they're all in the "Facilities" subheading. Everything from tanks to technicals can be found in there.

Oh snap, that's good to know.

Yooper, sorry to bug you, but are we going to want to develop a ground combat section as well at somepoint, or are we mostly sticking to air and sea?

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 4, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Psawhn posted:

On last thing, MISSION EDITOR SPOILERS FOR YOOPER'S EYES ONLY: You left in the event for China setting us to hostile in the scenario file.

Whoops!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yooper, sorry to bug you, but are we going to want to develop a ground combat section as well at somepoint, or are we mostly sticking to air and sea?

For now air and sea. At the most we could see some ground strikes but I'm not sure how well some ground units are modeled. SAM's and Radar sites are modeled well, but how a platoon of infantry is handled is beyond me. That and the time scale doesn't allow for much movement. So some CAS maybe, but our own tanks is likely beyond the CMANO niche. No worries about bugging me, this poo poo is fun.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Something fun is that you can add any weapon to any platform in the editor. For example, here's me putting an anti-air nuclear rocket on a T-55:

So if we wanted to, we could basically strap any weapon on any platform in the game. Do we want LAV-IIIs with SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles on it? Mount a 120 mm tank gun on our SK 60Bs? If you can find it in the database...
Oh, hey! There are some lasers in the database! Let's stick those on these T-55s and make us some motherfucking :pcgaming: LASER TANKS! :pcgaming:

...oh :eng99:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We're totally gonna abuse that to make some awesome merc vehicles, right?

E: Use it to install crazy after-market upgrades on our terror-frigate

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Crazycryodude posted:

E: Use it to install crazy after-market upgrades on our terror-frigate

Nuclear-tipped side launched torpedoes! :black101:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

HannibalBarca posted:

Nuclear-tipped side launched torpedoes! :black101:

If we wanted nuclear torpedoes then we should have gone with the Soviet Surplus brothers the US decommissioned all their Mark 45's years ago. :(

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
After Abramof dies of alcohol poisoning let's pick a new lobbyist or arms dealer or whatever that gets us set up with way too many poorly thought-out Cold War nuclear weapons. Davy Crockets, nuclear torpedoes/depth charges, dumbfire nuclear air to air rockets, that sort of thing.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Our nuclear arsenal wouldn't be complete without a custom-made M.G. Rex, the missing link between artillery and infantry!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The Jaguar is a fairly solid ground attack unit, if we want I can also track down some more information on that and comparable units. If Jack keeps pulling through we might want a range of units in our wish list for possible expansion and an idea of what we'd like (would we like 3-4 Jaguars, or 3ish F-111 Aardvarks or 1-2 Tornado's for example?).

Maybe the AMX and the A-7 too?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Less high-end PMC, more plucky museum nerd eco terrorist grandpa's. I'm sure there is a movie like this we can steal clips from.

"Only Johnny Mcwwiivet, the last surviving vet who flew the "hump" knows how to fly safely through the Himalayas. Only he can stop wwiii and save the delicate ecosystem for Himalayas"

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 4, 2017

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quinntan posted:

Maybe the AMX and the A-7 too?

The AMX would be nice and with the Portuguese and Greeks retiring their Corsairs several years back I'm sure we can find those for the cheap if our suppliers Greece some palms in Europe. Really we have a lot of options in this field, so I think we should probably put together a wishlist on features we'd like for a ground attack. Going A-7 isn't bad, but thats 60's/Vietnam era tech and probably would't stand up to well to stuff today, the AMX has a more expensive fly away coast, but will be faster and have more gear. Then the Tornadoes have crazy speed and versatility, while the Jags can carry a pretty good payload.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
The A-7 started out in the '60s, aye, but they got upgraded fairly heavily. They'd have a significant payload and good tankbusting capability, what with their Mavericks. They'd also have Mjolnirs if we're looking at Greek ones.

The AMX would basically be a budget A-7. Slightly cheaper to operate, but lesser payload. You'd still have the Mavericks, but no Mjolnirs. Brazilian-built ones have a crappy anti-radar missile, but a crappy anti-radar missile is better than no anti-radar missile like on the A-7, Jaguar and, with the retirement of the ALARM, the Tornado.

The Jaguar is an interesting bird. If we're getting Indian upgrade ones, they would have the best self-defence capability of any option, but on the other hand there are no missiles available unless we somehow get the IMs, the anti-shipping Indian-made Jaguars with Harpoons.

The Tornado would definitely give some capabilities that we'd struggle to find anywhere else. The ones we are likely to get are ex-RAF aircraft, what with the Brits being due to retire theirs in 2019. Brimstone is a superior anti-armour missile to the Maverick on the AMX on A-7 and the Storm Shadow ALCM is also an option. However, they're swing-wing, twin-engine and pretty old, so they'd very expensive to run.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bEc_cJIiJc

Feedback Time

Was the video too long?
Was the audio quality OK?
Did the mission process work?
What do you want to see done differently next time?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quinntan posted:

The A-7 started out in the '60s, aye, but they got upgraded fairly heavily. They'd have a significant payload and good tankbusting capability, what with their Mavericks. They'd also have Mjolnirs if we're looking at Greek ones.

The AMX would basically be a budget A-7. Slightly cheaper to operate, but lesser payload. You'd still have the Mavericks, but no Mjolnirs. Brazilian-built ones have a crappy anti-radar missile, but a crappy anti-radar missile is better than no anti-radar missile like on the A-7, Jaguar and, with the retirement of the ALARM, the Tornado.

The Jaguar is an interesting bird. If we're getting Indian upgrade ones, they would have the best self-defence capability of any option, but on the other hand there are no missiles available unless we somehow get the IMs, the anti-shipping Indian-made Jaguars with Harpoons.

The Tornado would definitely give some capabilities that we'd struggle to find anywhere else. The ones we are likely to get are ex-RAF aircraft, what with the Brits being due to retire theirs in 2019. Brimstone is a superior anti-armour missile to the Maverick on the AMX on A-7 and the Storm Shadow ALCM is also an option. However, they're swing-wing, twin-engine and pretty old, so they'd very expensive to run.

Good analysis, I'll admit Ground Attack Planes aren't something I'm as familiar with. If we are looking at all our options, could the Saab 37 Viggen, F-111 Aardvark or F-4 Phantom II be an option? I'm just looking at planes available in India or Europe and it seems like all 3 of those are readily available in Europe.

*Edit* Good mission Yooper, it was helpful for someone who has no clue ho this game is played for you to slow down and explain the process of things. In some of the downtime in the future maybe some more fast-forwarding might be warranted, but I can;t think of too many critiques.

Good work pilots, the Finbacks might be older planes, but any mission we can walk away with none of our assets destroyed and a happy customer is a good mission.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 4, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
In terms of what'd be available in 2019... maybe the F-4s? The US retired its F-111s long ago and I'd be frankly amazed if any of those aircraft ever make it out of the boneyard again. The Australians were the only foreign operators of the Aardvark and they dumped all of theirs in a landfill when they were retired. Realistically, even if they were available, they'd suffer the same disadvantages of the Tornado without the advanced capabilities that it offers.

The 37 Viggen was only used by Sweden. India wanted to get some but the fact it used an American engine meant the Yanks nixed that. The last ones in service were retired in 2005. There really isn't anything that they bring to the table that our existing fleet of Gripens already does, apart from being able to reverse, and that's not all that useful for us.

The F-4 though... We would likely be looking at either German or Greek Phantoms, and both of those are very interesting, especially the Greek ones. In addition to the standard range of laser-guided and free-fall bombs, the Greek Phantoms also get Mavericks, Mjolnirs, Sidewinders and AMRAAMs. They're fully-fledged fighter-bombers, able to provide their own escort to a target. However, they're still powered by J79 turbojets. They'd be very expensive to run but have impressive capabilities, especially for an aircraft of their age. Still no anti-radar capability though.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 4, 2017

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Yooper posted:

Was the video too long?

I think the length was good, though if there is a hotkey for speeding things up it might be quicker than moving and clicking. The process worked out well I thought. Thanks for all the effort you've put in thus far.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yooper posted:

Feedback Time

Was the video too long?

I liked the length and detail, no issues with quality, felt I knew what was going on at all times so good commentary. Can't think of anything to change, good job!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Feedback Time

Was the video too long?

Well that went off very well, indeed. In the future, I think we'd do well to pack some longer-range Meteor missiles. We almost didn't make it to IRIS-T range in time to splash those Finbacks.

Loved the video and commentary, Yooper. You've been hitting it out of the park with this LP.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
There's a setting in the big list of WRAs about automatic RTB. You might want to set that to off.

Also, wait, what was that at 27:15? Is something going on in Lhasa?

Anyway...

Yooper posted:

Was the video too long?

I thought the video and audio were of good quality, and have no complaints about the mission quality. One thing you might want to do with the scenarios, especially once they start getting bigger, is identify units of interest by callsign. For example, you might say in this mission brief "The UN Food Relief Agency is loading up two C-130J cargo planes, call signs Hornets One and Two, at Dibrugarh Airport" and "Once they land a pair C-17A Globemasters carrying personnel from Médecins Sans Frontières, call signs Road Runner One and Two...".

Victory, victory~! Too bad I didn't get to do anything--well, there's always next time!

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
When you're talking about I-SPY's radar range at the end, that grey circle you're referencing is the straight-line maximum range of the radar, and the inner yellow circle is its current maximum range. Anything located outside the yellow circle is over your radar horizon, i.e. the curvature of the earth means that there is now planet between it and you. There are certain disgustingly expensive radars that ignore this limitation, but we don't have any at the moment.

edit: oh, and if there's still space, sign me up for reserve SAM fodder!

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 4, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mr. Showtime posted:

When you're talking about I-SPY's radar range at the end, that grey circle you're referencing is the straight-line maximum range of the radar, and the inner yellow circle is its current maximum range. Anything located outside the yellow circle is over your radar horizon, i.e. the curvature of the earth means that there is now planet between it and you. There are certain disgustingly expensive radars that ignore this limitation, but we don't have any at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the yellow circle is the surface search range--the sensor package on our particular AEW is listed as "3D Air and Surface Search".

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
That was great!

Video and audio were perfectly clear to me. Great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm pretty sure the yellow circle is the surface search range--the sensor package on our particular AEW is listed as "3D Air and Surface Search".

This is correct--yellow is for surface targets. AFAIK, the range rings do not reflect terrain, such as mountains, however.