Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Callsign: Powerthighs

Also, I vote Klaus and Peterson as well. AWACS is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm going with Tibet/India as a warmup. Let's earn some cash before we make our heel turn and take on a CVBG.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Jack - I like the idea of more strategic advantage.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm in favor us using our AWACS, as we are on the defensive and it can look in all directions at once, while our fighters can't. It may let us use less fighters in the air as well.

Also, I'm in favor of dropping a Paveway on the bridge from high altitude. The SK 60s don't have any electronic defenses of any kind.

The thing that will hurt us is if we lose a plane. A few extra thousand dollars to really reduce that likelihood seems like good insurance.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For those of us without the game is the an easily accessible way to see all the weapon specifics? The website is a tad sparse.

Baloogan's website seems to have a bit more info - it shows you everything the game does in the same format. Otherwise, Wikipedia.
https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3653

Good Dumplings posted:

What do we do if the civilian transports end up near the bridge, anyway? Our stuff should be able to tell helicopters apart from planes, but is the enemy AA that capable too?

e: or if it turns out some rebels are mixed in at the airport and start a ruckus, is that legally a "not our problem" at that point?

Since we won't be controlling the mission itself that seems relatively unlikely.

The Sandman posted:

So what's everyone's plan for dealing with jerks on the ground with MANPADS launching on the cargo aircraft?

We will be up too high for most of the flight - the main issue is if they have some around the landing strip. I don't think we can be held responsible if there is a guy with an Igla on the end of the runway.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Unimpressed posted:

Is Jack real? Is he baloogan???

I can't tell if you are joking, but yes, Jack Abramoff is a real lobbyist who went to prison for corruption: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Abramoff

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm pro a more advanced ground attack aircraft. The SK60s seem quite limited. Put me in a Frogfoot!

Yooper posted:

In regard to REDACTED, I'm not sure. I had a city marker asset set to MERCS instead of CHINA so we saw the results. It's something I'll have to test out and see. I know on other scenarios you'll sometimes see events happening to allied forces.

Yes, regarding REDACTED, there is an option to hide those messages in the options.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Bacarruda posted:

In other news, I continue to be unable to do basic math...

These should be the correct numbers.

Aircraft
BUY:
5 F-4E Phantom IIs ($42,500,000)
2 Sperwer UAV ($3,000,000)

Total aircraft bill: $45,500,000

Air-to-air missiles
BUY:
18 Meteor medium-range AAMs ($31,500,000)
20 IRIS-T short-range AAMs ($8,000,0000)

Air-to-ground weapons
BUY:
100 GBU-12 laser-guided bombs ($2,200,000)
30 RB 75 Maverick EO Missiles ($870,000)
250 M/70 135mm rockets ($700,000)

Stores
BUY:
20 1200-litre drop tanks ($380,000)

Total weapons bill: $42,950,000

As much as I love Frogfoots I support this plan. I'd there is any chance for promotion of Powerthighs out of an SK60 to one of these Phantoms that would be great. Unless other, lesser pilots demand a chance.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
One thing I would like to point out about UAVs: the point of a UAV is so a rich country can risk money instead of lives.

We, being a small PMC of dubious morality, have a limited bankroll and too many pilots as is. Losing aircraft, even relatively cheap ones, is a big deal. Much bigger than logging some extra flight hours and using some extra munitions. UAVs are by design not as survivable as our fast mover aircraft.

In short, buy Phantoms and use Gripens to dominate the skies. I don't think UAVs are the right fit for us as we must minimize airframe losses to maximize profit. Also, we are more likely to get laid flying jets than a drones.

Specifically, vote Option B.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Russian Mercs

Bacarruda Plan B

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I feel like you could choke a goat with a single rocket.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Voting Yes on Ukrainian aircraft purchase.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Note that in CMANO you need specialized weapons to destroy runways, due to how the penetration mechanics work.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Bacarruda posted:

Can't the Mjolner Mk 2's kill runways? The Greek F-4E loadout in-game has them using the Mjolner's as anti-runway weapons.

I just did some tests with the Greek F-4Es.

I hit one runway with 4 Mjolner's (two airframes worth) and only damaged it about 40%.

The GBU-12s are only 500lb bombs. The GBU-10s are the 2000lb variety, but they don't do any more damage than the Mjolner's.

There is an F-4E loadout with 2 GBU-24s. They are 2000lb Penetrator types, and two of them will heavily damage a runway (but probably not completely destroy it). I don't know if those are an option for us.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
They are a single entity in command, and this airfield has two of them.

Another option is to take out the runway access points as they are less hardened, but there are like ten of them since this is a big airport. And our goal is to give the J-20s nowhere to land.

If we can hit each runway with 2 GBU-24s, I think that's enough, but that doesn't leave any room for duds or other malfunctions.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Unguided rockets almost always miss by design. The key is to only use them against targets that will be hurt by splash damage.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The game has a separate notion of if a Runway is operational, which is related to the Hitpoints left. I think it's hard coded in the game but I can' t say for sure.

It seems like if you could put a single penetator 2000lb bomb smack dab in the middle of the runway, that it would be unusable for at least a half an hour. Especially if the rest of the airfield is still under attack after that. Although I guess if the game thinks its still operational then enemy AI planes will take off just fine. How long of a time window do we have to keep it shut down for before the Indian troops arrive?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Looks like the HQ-7 has a max range of 5nm and a max altitude of 16K feet. Which means we can hit it with standoff weapons, or from 36K ASL with impunity. As long as people stay above 30K feet, we should be good to go.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Let's give it our very Entebbest

Is this an intentional mispelling of Baloogan?

Also, the CMANO dev team is quite small. They very smartly started with a good system and have been continuing development by adding extra grognard where applicable. The grognard-ary is made, not born.

My vote is Kill, I worry about being able to pull this off within the engine in any reasonable way.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 11, 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Strict Parenting, Yes to Light Attackers

The Light Attackers contingent on being confident that the AA threat is very dimished.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Use the tracker but make all refueling manual.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
At some point we may want to get listed on the NYSE.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Voting Angola, Count.

Also, please sell the SK60s. As someone who is flying one I feel that I will be dead sooner rather than later.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Dammit Bacarruda, you convinced me. Parabellum.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 17, 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Angola - Count

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Lubango

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Zack

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
First Impression

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, Gorgon Stare is pretty much the dopest name possible for that sort of thing.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

power crystals posted:

Yeah that was the intent behind mine. By the time we get to that part of the mission the SAM and their fighters should be burning wreckage. If not and we lose the SK60s, well, they're SK60s. :shrug: Those pilots knew what they signed up for. Then we can fit aircraft we actually want in our hangars!

As one of those pilots, I would prefer not to go on a suicide mission. You are welcome to switch places with me.

I agree with the proposals that we need an anti-S-300 strike force either ready to go on the tarmac or actively up and searching around. We need to be careful until we find out where that thing is.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I would prefer my SK60 be painted like the red baron.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Black Diamond

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Land attack choppers aren't very survivable in CMANO. The proliferation of MANPADS, SHORAD, medium SAMs, and fighters with BVR missiles make it a tough environment to survive in. Plus, the game is not quite sophisticated enough to really nail the super nap-of-earty and hiding behind treelines that you presumably need to survive in a chopper on a contested modern battlefield.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Double the Numbers

Also, regarding refuelling, the thing that makes the most sense is to manually send aircraft to refuel at different times. Like, send the first one when it has 60% fuel, so when it gets back you can send the other and they both don't go and tank at one time. I don't know how to do this other than manually.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
With precision guided weapons you can be very close from 6 miles up.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Here is a slightly different take.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
K&P

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Golgotha

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Whirlwind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
There could be some sort of "time storm" like in Final Countdown.

Or we could stop this bloodshed and just invest our money in high grade US Treasury notes.