Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kashin Koji is named for a folklore magician/ninja. Kashin Koji is also notably the villain of Nioh 2.

Don't know much about the mythical Kashin Koji, but he was a trickster if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Do we even have any unrevealed preexisting ninja who could sneak into this possibly former Leaf ninja role? I know when he first appeared, I wondered if he could have been Konohamaru's father. That really doesn't track though with the more we've learned about Koji. Jiraiya did have two other students along with Minato, but Koji really doesn't look like either. Jiraiya having yet another wayward student would also be pretty lame at this point, or also an unrevealed son.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 21, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The big thing making people think Kashin Koji has something to do with Jiraya is the fact he knows the Rasengan. Which should be limited to a chain of teachers and single students leading back to Minato (and Sasuke, but he probably learned it from Naruto via Sharingan copy). So who taught Kashin Koji how to do it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

The big thing making people think Kashin Koji has something to do with Jiraya is the fact he knows the Rasengan. Which should be limited to a chain of teachers and single students leading back to Minato (and Sasuke, but he probably learned it from Naruto via Sharingan copy). So who taught Kashin Koji how to do it?

I forget, when did Sasuke ever use the Rasengan?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

I forget, when did Sasuke ever use the Rasengan?

Demonstrating it to Boruto.

edit: actually, I'm not sure anymore.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 22, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Did Naruto have any students before he became Hokage?

Like there's about a decade where he could have between the end of Shippuden and when he becomes Hokage right?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Zore posted:

Did Naruto have any students before he became Hokage?

Like there's about a decade where he could have between the end of Shippuden and when he becomes Hokage right?

Konohamaru and his friends.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Konohamaru and his friends.

Ebisu was their teacher.

We never saw that Naruto had any.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, as far as we know the only ones Naruto ever taught the Rasengan to were Konohamaru and Boruto. Now granted it’s possible he took on some other students prior to becoming Hokage but somehow I doubt it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Konohamaru is the one who taught Boruto Rasengan. He was actually super excited to teach it. But that reduces Naruto's student pool to 1.

Kakashi can do Rasengan as well so he's another possible teacher though Kakashi's thing was failing all of his students.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Konohamaru is the one who taught Boruto Rasengan. He was actually super excited to teach it. But that reduces Naruto's student pool to 1.

Kakashi can do Rasengan as well so he's another possible teacher though Kakashi's thing was failing all of his students.

Ah right, Kakashi was Minato’s student so it stands to reason he learned it from him.

Could it be possible that Koji possesses a scientific ninja tool or something similar? Otherwise I’m honestly not sure how he picked it up since I believe it was stated that Minato literally invented the Rasengan on his own.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah right, Kakashi was Minato’s student so it stands to reason he learned it from him.

I believe he stated explicitly his failure to add a change of chakra nature to the rasengan is what led him to create chidori, which later Minato himself warned Kakashi it wasn't a complete jutsu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the difficulty is in performing a rasengan, not the concept of it. why couldn't someone figure out how to reproduce it? it's the signature move of the most famous man in the world, after all.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Well, looking at it thematically, it's the signature jutsu of Naruto and his family (counting Jiraya as his godfather and Konohamaru as his "little brother", which I think is a good fit), just like the chidori is the signature jutsu of Sasuke and his family. You don't go throwing someone's signature trait at a complete random stranger unless you're trying to make that trait generic, so it's a good bet there has to be a connection of some sort with Naruto/his family.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Everybody forgets about Kakashi.

You know, one of the few people who knows both.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rndmnmbr posted:

I believe he stated explicitly his failure to add a change of chakra nature to the rasengan is what led him to create chidori, which later Minato himself warned Kakashi it wasn't a complete jutsu.

Chidori/Raikiri is kind of an imperfect version of stuff like the Wind-Style Rasenshuriken, or Boruto's Lightning Style Vanishing Rasengan (more relevant). However Kakashi is creating it, he's not keeping the proper amount of rotation for the Rasengan as he adds in Lightning Chakra, which creates the loud chaotic sparking hand blade he uses.

Technically if Kakashi had worked on it long enough he probably could've discovered the Vanishing Rasengan, or properly added the shape manipulation to the nature manipulation and ended up with like, a piercing spiral rasengan that has far more single directional cutting power at the cost of reduced width of damage.

But I can imagine Kakashi kind of just falling into the Chidori/Raikiri as his technique, given his various traumas and issues he might not feel worthy of using his Master's technique to kill.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Everybody forgets about Kakashi.

You know, one of the few people who knows both.

Kakashi is Naruto and Sasuke's cool uncle who knows all the techniques and also the dealers with the best weed in town.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Koji knows the Rasengan, summons frogs, and can sneak into Konoha because of his chakra signature.

If it turns out to be some rando it's gonna be a real lame twist.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It all adds up. Kakashi is Kashin Koji. That's why he only wears the upper face mask. No one would recognize his mouth.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Kakashi has a mole on his face silly.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Teek posted:

Kakashi has a mole on his face silly.

It's a transformation Jutsu with a mask on top!

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Koji knows the Rasengan, summons frogs, and can sneak into Konoha because of his chakra signature.

If it turns out to be some rando it's gonna be a real lame twist.

Remember when people would swear up and down that Tobi wasn't Obito?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thoren posted:

Remember when people would swear up and down that Tobi wasn't Obito?
Yeah, that's a good point. After Obito and "the poor orphan is actually the son of a genius and a noble-ish" I think expecting a plot twist is probably looking in the wrong places.

Who specifically mentioned that his body couldn't be recovered anyway?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. After Obito and "the poor orphan is actually the son of a genius and a noble-ish" I think expecting a plot twist is probably looking in the wrong places.

Who specifically mentioned that his body couldn't be recovered anyway?

Kabuto did. It was in the bottom of an ocean. But we're talking about tech now so who knows.

I remember the many people claiming Naruto wasn't the son of the fourth. You know, despite being an orphan with the same hair.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I was a 'Tobi isn't Obito' person because I thought it was too stupid a twist. So now I'm all in on Jiraiya.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pyrotoad posted:

I was a 'Tobi isn't Obito' person because I thought it was too stupid a twist. So now I'm all in on Jiraiya.
Yeah, that's my point. No plot twist too stupid. All in on Jiraiya or his son or his son with Tsunade we never heard of or all of the above blended together in some cybernetic nightmare.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought tobi couldn't possibly be obito because obito was some useless incompetent scrub whose body got completely buried under rock in the middle of nowhere. the first concern was resolved by ????uchiha???? bullshit, the second was that this random spot in the wilderness just so happened to be above the real madara's inexplicably elaborate system of tunnels.

in other words, i thought kishi was a much better author than he really was.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Obito at least served to tie up some loose ends in Kakashi's character arc, rezzing Jiraiya at this point would not only be contrived but also not do anything for anyone's character.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Clearly Jiraiya fell through a wormhole at the bottom of the ocean that the Old Ones use to go between worlds and, yadda yadda yadda, zombie Jiraiya.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Given this setting's proclivity to use stupid summoning jutsu tricks to move around, I wouldn't put it past Jiraya to summon a toad, have it swallow part of him, then unsummon himself back to Myobokuzan or anywhere.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As someone who hasn't read or watched any Boruto, this Kashin fellow is probably Jiraiya's brother or son.

Maybe he's a son from earlier in his life who he failed, and that's why he tried to do good by Naruto as his surrogate father.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

As someone who hasn't read or watched any Boruto, this Kashin fellow is probably Jiraiya's brother or son.

Maybe he's a son from earlier in his life who he failed, and that's why he tried to do good by Naruto as his surrogate father.

Watch the anime at least, it’s good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Naruto son of the Fourth is like, the least twisty twist ever. It's one of those things that is super super obvious once you read into all the stuff about the fourth we know (his self-sacrificing nature, his heroism, that the Kyuubi was rampaging literally on the day of Naruto's birth and Naruto was chosen) and the face on the mountain, plus Naruto's parents are never given any actual information beyond they died in the Kyuubi attack.

It's not like they ever made a secondary twist like Minato was secretly Jiraiya and Tsunade's from a drunken night together and so was given up to an orphanage in secret.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I can see Kashin being related to Jiraiya, being a son or younger clone or something. But I don't imagine he is Jiraiya.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Actually given how much it popped up in Shippuden's anime filler/that one movie I've decided that they've decided to canonise alternative timelines in the manga in Boruto so this is the Jiraiya from that other timeline where everyone's personalities got flipped so he's the evil one in the Tsu/Ji/Oro trio (or Orochimaru is the only good Sannin in that timeline for true opposite day shenanigans) and he decided it'd be fun to check out the other timeline.

It's valid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently there was a new episode this week. Does that mean Boruto isn’t going on hiatus after all or does said hiatus officially start now (or alternatively that they made enough episodes beforehand that there’s a bit of a buffer to get through in this case)?

Nice episode in any case, it’s rare we get a Himawari spotlight.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 26, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Larryb posted:

So apparently there was a new episode this week. Does that mean Boruto isn’t going on hiatus after all or does said hiatus officially start now (or alternatively that they made enough episodes beforehand that there’s a bit of a buffer to get through in this case)?

Nice episode in any case, it’s rare we get a Himawari spotlight.

Hiatus from now on. This was their buffer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pyrotoad posted:

Actually given how much it popped up in Shippuden's anime filler/that one movie I've decided that they've decided to canonise alternative timelines in the manga in Boruto so this is the Jiraiya from that other timeline where everyone's personalities got flipped so he's the evil one in the Tsu/Ji/Oro trio (or Orochimaru is the only good Sannin in that timeline for true opposite day shenanigans) and he decided it'd be fun to check out the other timeline.

It's valid.

That wasn't a real alternate timeline, though. It was just a genjutsu.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Hiatus from now on. This was their buffer.

Good to know, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Blockhouse posted:

That wasn't a real alternate timeline, though. It was just a genjutsu.

I thought it was? They had that miniarc with alternate Sakura showing up in the main line didn't they?