Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kortel posted:

I thought it was? They had that miniarc with alternate Sakura showing up in the main line didn't they?

Yeah, and there was a filler arc later on where Tenten wound up in that world as well (though to be fair that one really was because of a genjutsu)

Which interestingly enough makes Road to Ninja the only movie besides the Boruto one that’s technically canon to the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Larryb posted:

that’s technically canon to the anime.

I may need a bit of a breakdown on what you mean by this, mainly because you don't mention The Last. I realize this series is a mess of canonization, but here is my understanding of the basic layout:

1. Naruto Manga - The core base canon (+ Naruto: The Last since Kishimoto helped write it and I don't think it breaks anything)
2A. Naruto Anime + 2B. Shippuuden Anime - The Anime canon (+ Naruto: The Last) And you're arguing Road to Ninja is too? And the Boruto Movie?
3. Most of the Naruto + Shippuuden Movies and several of the OVAs, which don't really fit in anywhere
4. The Hiden books and all the light novels which were being adapted into the Anime canon in various ways.
5. Boruto Manga - I'd count it as it's own separate canon now
2C. Boruto Anime - I'd count this in the Anime canon, and bump out the Boruto movie into the #3 with all the other "canon to themselves" movies.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 27, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

I may need a bit of a breakdown on what you mean by this, mainly because you don't mention The Last. I realize this series is a mess of canonization, but here is my understanding of the basic layout:

1. Naruto Manga - The core base canon (+ Naruto: The Last since Kishimoto helped write it and I don't think it breaks anything)
2A. Naruto Anime + 2B. Shippuuden Anime - The Anime canon (+ Naruto: The Last) And you're arguing Road to Ninja is too? And the Boruto Movie?
3. Most of the Naruto + Shippuuden Movies and several of the OVAs, which don't really fit in anywhere
4. The Hiden books and all the light novels which were being adapted into the Anime canon in various ways.
5. Boruto Manga - I'd count it as it's own separate canon now
2C. Boruto Anime - I'd count this in the Anime canon, and bump out the Boruto movie into the #3 with all the other "canon to themselves" movies.

I just meant canon in the sense that it’s one of the few that actually gets referenced in the anime itself (having two tie-in episodes and a callback later in the season). And yeah, I forgot about The Last. That counts too but I don’t recall it being mentioned again in Shippuden or Boruto aside from the fact that Naruto and Hinata are together.

Also the manga is canon as the Boruto anime literally adapted one of its story arcs a while back and the current villains of said manga appear in the most recent opening, the anime just starts a little earlier in the timeline than the manga does and fills in more details.

Finally, Kishimoto himself was directly involved in the writing process of Road to Ninja. The Boruto movie was retold in the anime itself and was also adapted as the first arc of the manga.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 27, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I think we're just using "canon" differently. And yes, I'm aware of the Boruto movie being adapted, that's why I said it is now included with most of the other movies, which don't really fit in anywhere except with themselves now. The anime adaption is now the more "anime canon" official version now.

Some random thoughts: I don't think you can count both the Boruto manga and the anime as the same canon really. The anime is an adaption/expansion of the manga, and has interpreted the characters/situations differently (and better tbh).

As for The Last, Toneri is the villain of the piece and had made several cameo appearances in the Boruto anime up until he was sealed away by Urashiki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sumire appears in the manga later on and the others recognize her, but otherwise fair enough. I agree the anime is still the superior version though even if the manga has gotten slightly better recently.

But yeah, in fact I would say there’s no need to watch the movie at all anymore as the anime adaptation was better in nearly every aspect.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Boruto visiting the Hidden Mist Village is ever so briefly acknowledged too.

I really like the Boruto manga overall but I think I can agree that the anime is a superior version since it's allowed to just do so much more. Then again, anime watchers will never get to experience the bewilderment that was Sasuke's initial manga hair cut.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the anime, has there been any word recently as to when/if the dub is ever coming back?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of the anime, has there been any word recently as to when/if the dub is ever coming back?

Supposed to be released on DVD as of April 21. Doesn't look like Cartoon Network is going to pick it back up this year. Doubtful it will be streamed (legitimately) until then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also the pandemic is putting a hold on a lot of dub stuff.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
With Samurai 8 getting the axe, what are the chances of Kishimoto coming back to help write Burrito?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

With Samurai 8 getting the axe, what are the chances of Kishimoto coming back to help write Burrito?

Though considering how Naruto got by the end, would Kishimoto writing the Boruto manga really be that big of an improvement?

Now if he was drawing it as well I could probably get behind that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Though considering how Naruto got by the end, would Kishimoto writing the Boruto manga really be that big of an improvement?

Now if he was drawing it as well I could probably get behind that.

I was wondering whether I should've put writing or helping in quotes.
I didn't read Samurai 8, but Naruto had such an amazing nosedive in quality.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Samurai 8 had good artwork, but God drat that plot was confusing as hell. To me anyway, it was way over technical.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Remembering Sarada Gaiden and lmao that plot was wild

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Remembering Sarada Gaiden and lmao that plot was wild

My favorite part is how the magazine "next chapter" blurbs referred to it as "Naruto and Boruto's story" continuously

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sasuke "cheating" on Sakura and/or attempting to stab Sarada was definitely the most hyped I ever got about Naruto.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I remember when we were calling Sakura the CW "cuck queen." The image macro of Sakura crying while Kishimoto laughed at her was being shared every time a new chapter released.

That was a wild time and when I got off the bus.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The anime at least did right by Sakura for the first time in ages and gave her an awesome fight against Shin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheHan posted:

The anime at least did right by Sakura for the first time in ages and gave her an awesome fight against Shin.

I’ve said it before but filler aside I actually think the anime (both Naruto and Boruto) is overall better than the manga.

The fights are a lot better in motion, they go deeper into backstory that the manga either didn’t explore or just glossed over, side characters like Tenten actually get to do things and I especially like the way they handled the Naruto Vs Sasuke fight at the end of Shippuden (the manga portion at least, there were a few arcs afterwards based on the light novels).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 15, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone interested the Boruto dub is finally back, they just released episodes 53-66.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Having a very intense bout of boredom, I decided to watch Shippuden from the great ninja war, since I only read the manga from that point forward, and man, there is a lot of filler, and most of it was terrible.

But on the other hand, while the lows were low, the highs were real drat high. The final Naruto Sasuke fight, Kakashi v Obito and Madara clowning on the united army was all great.

Following up with Boruto and it was nice to see that Sasuke mellowed out since Naruto's corrective therapy beat the brain problems out of him. He was always my favorite character (I don't care what anyone says, eyehax are cool, man) but seeing him actually not acting like a total rear end in a top hat was a refreshing change of pace. Still weird that he won't fix his arm though, considering that they're constantly running up against those moon people and he is constnatly getting his rear end whupped.

I did wonder though, Naruto got an arm replacement by using the firsts cells. If Sasuke did the same, would he get a second Rinnegan?

Also does Sasuke have access to all the rinnegan skills Pain did, or did he just get half of them because he only has one eye?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

McCloud posted:

Also does Sasuke have access to all the rinnegan skills Pain did, or did he just get half of them because he only has one eye?

This is my working theory.

Also my working theory, the reason Naruto and Sasuke got nerfed is because the Sage of Six Paths finally got to watch his sons settle their poo poo by proxy, and then his ghost decided enough was enough and passed on, taking Six Paths Sage mode and the cubic assload of chakra he was loaning to Sasuke with him. Sasuke kept the Rinnegan because it was a natural byproduct of the chakra access (this is why he doesn't spam Rinnegan hax, he's got the ability but he's otherwise chakra deficit, gotta have nearly a full tank to pull off one Shinra Tensei without shortening his lifespan), but otherwise they're back at opening stages of the war power levels. Which, y'know, whoops I tripped and levelled the village is still on the plate, but oops I stubbed my toe and shattered a continent is out.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 19, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New manga chapter:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006652

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gee, whoever does Koji remind Naruto off.

Still pretty interesting and fun chapter

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, congrats to Jigen for having one of the more horrific states in the Naruto/Boruto world.

Also some nasty eye crimes on that Koji clone.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That is a sensational move tho.

"No I summoned actual loving fire, gently caress you"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hypocrisy posted:

Well, congrats to Jigen for having one of the more horrific states in the Naruto/Boruto world.

Also some nasty eye crimes on that Koji clone.

Remember how in Stargate-SG1 Apophis took over that priest of Karnak as his host and he spent thousands of years in a horrific nightmare state?

That's Jigen.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I guess this is leading to Boruto befriending Momoshiki and eventually use the Karma state while still retaining his will

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

That is a sensational move tho.

"No I summoned actual loving fire, gently caress you"

"well, if we can't get the ring to mount doom, we'll just have to bring mount doom to the ring."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alright, so I guess that theory of Koji being (or at least being related to in some way) Jiraiya might actually be true. Only question is how and why.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait, we're still on Jiraya? I concede the obvious use of Toad-based jutsu, but is a little too clever for Jiraya, who was a little bit more unga. Sarutobi, maybe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, we're still on Jiraya? I concede the obvious use of Toad-based jutsu, but is a little too clever for Jiraya, who was a little bit more unga. Sarutobi, maybe.

I mostly just came to that conclusion based on Koji’s attacks and Naruto’s reaction to seeing them. I suppose it’s still possible for him to be someone else though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Larryb posted:

Alright, so I guess that theory of Koji being (or at least being related to in some way) Jiraiya might actually be true. Only question is how and why.

For how...clone seems to be plausible. Kara is all about ninja science and technology so I don't think Orochimaru's tech is beyond them. Or even if it is, stealing the knowledge probably isn't beyond them.

As for why...Jiraiya was a powerful and intelligent ninja. For someone who had to be a double agent for a long time, that's one of the better choices. Plus, he already has a summoning contract.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think the Swamp technique and Naruto's apparent recognition of the fighting style really tilt it towards Jiraiya for me. But, aside from the toads, I can't say the rest doesn't make sense with Sarutobi (Naruto has seen Sarutobi fighting before right?).

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 20, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The Sarutobi clan is associated with monkey summons, though. Unless there was some other toad-summoning Sarutobi I missed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My hunch is Jiraiya clone.

Gonna find out Orochimaru wanted his old friend back.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Probably isn't a full clone, because Naruto and the Sensor Team would have immediately noticed when he entered Konoha. Former student hopped up on ninja science seems more likely, since his chakra is registered as being approved for entry, while not setting off any "He's been marked as dead for 20 years!" alarms.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I kinda dig the whole data decompression thing. I am loving floored that it's NOT what Jigen's up to, and, in fact, Jigen's deal is that spongebob episode where Plankton takes over Spongebob's brain to try and steal the krabby patty. Like the panel showing the parasite aspect looks like that episode.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MorningMoon posted:

I kinda dig the whole data decompression thing. I am loving floored that it's NOT what Jigen's up to, and, in fact, Jigen's deal is that spongebob episode where Plankton takes over Spongebob's brain to try and steal the krabby patty. Like the panel showing the parasite aspect looks like that episode.

Between that and the panel where the Koji clone gets the loving rods through his eyes it's a great chapter is you're into body horror

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dexo posted:

My hunch is Jiraiya clone.

Gonna find out Orochimaru wanted his old friend back.

I'll say not a clone per say maybe even a secret kid made from Jiraya and Tsunade's DNA stolen by Orochimaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Jiraiya didn’t have anything inherently special about him to warrant making a kid did he? Tsunade’s senju but Jiraiya’s just a dude who likes toads. A direct clone would make more sense (in the world where it makes sense to do this at all and the the clone comes pre-loaded with Jiraiya’s skills).

Personally I’m hoping Naruto had his own team 7 at one point and, as is tradition, one member completely lost it.