Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Metal is obviously Gai and Rock's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sarada: "I've never met my dad, I look nothing like my mom, and I've seen a picture of my supposed dad with a woman who has the same glasses as me. I'm starting to wonder if these people are my parents..."

Chocho: "I'm chubby like my dad, I inherited his expansion jutsu, and have dark skin and the bright hair just like my mom. Clearly these people aren't my parents!"

I think I've hated everything Sakura has said in this series. Then again, she's probably the worst written character of all.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Larryb posted:

I'm still not convinced that Rock Lee isn't Gai's illegitimate son (they look almost exactly alike and we never do see Lee's family in the series).
Maybe there's a country where Gai and Rock Lee are considered the height of sexy and Rock/Metal are just the best illegitimate offspring brought back while the others languish without the training of the green beast.

Or maybe that's sort of the joke.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the reason no one would give sarada a straight answer is because they didn't want to explain to her that everyone kind of hates her dad, with good reason. well, except sakura. that's a whole different mess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the reason no one would give sarada a straight answer is because they didn't want to explain to her that everyone kind of hates her dad, with good reason. well, except sakura. that's a whole different mess.

It sounds like a great conversation though:

"Well, Sarada... your father abandoned the village to join up with the man who killed the third hokage, murdered his brother, murdered who was going to be the sixth hokage (yes he technically committed suicide but Konoha doesn't know that), committed genocide against the samurai, and is the reason why the Raikage and Naruto are missing their arms. He also tried to murder your mom at one point, but in her eyes that was them reaching second base because she has an extreme case of Stockholm Syndrome. But you seem well adjusted."

Have Tsunade or Kakashi tell it for maximum story effort.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
In defense of killing Danzo, he was merely an acting hokage while Tsunade was hurt, and IIRC he was also stripped of his title at the summit after people found out he was evil and was using his eye to manipulate people before Sasuke fought him and caused his suicide.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

I'm still not convinced that Rock Lee isn't Gai's illegitimate son (they look almost exactly alike and we never do see Lee's family in the series).

Gai is only 13 years older then Lee. Also Lee styles himself after guy. Before he met him only Hair color and large eyebrows were what they had in common.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
when u rewatch naruto its kinda weird that sasuke....really doesn't do anything too terrible at any point. when we are reintroduced to him he is like, pretty specific about not killing ppl. even when he almost kills sakura its cuz shes about to attempt to kill him.

stabbing whats her name that can sense chakra was kinda hosed, as was killing the samurai, but yeah he doesn't do anything explicitly terrible aside from those as far as i remember. and then he literally saves existence

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's trying to be evil, but outside of a couple of situations he ends up only doing things that most would consider good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mostly he is just an rear end in a top hat who treats the people who care about him like garbage. see also: the latest episode of bort.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The thing that originally gets him on everyone's radar is allying himself with Akatsuki and supposedly kidnapping Killer B, which is why the 4th raikage wants to murder him good.

In terms of actual crimes committed by sasuke, it's killing the samurai and Danzo, the kidnapping, and then attempting to murder Naruto so he can do whatever the gently caress his plan was at the end it made no sense.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
danzo was evil tho so who even cares about that

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
We can scratch 'killed his brother' off the list, it was more like a 'forced to assist in his brother's needlessly traumatizing long-term suicide plot'. Like Itachi explicitly wanted Sasuke to kill him so he could return to the village as the hero who killed Itachi.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pyrotoad posted:

We can scratch 'killed his brother' off the list, it was more like a 'forced to assist in his brother's needlessly traumatizing long-term suicide plot'. Like Itachi explicitly wanted Sasuke to kill him so he could return to the village as the hero who killed Itachi.

Yeah, I know it's incredibly complicated, especially when you factor in that apparently Itachi had some sort of terminal illness like stage 4 ninja cancer. But considering Itachi's death made Sasuke go "gently caress Konoha I'm gonna destroy that village" rather than what Itachi intended, well... I guess a least he comes to his senses eventually!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

The thing that originally gets him on everyone's radar is allying himself with Akatsuki and supposedly kidnapping Killer B, which is why the 4th raikage wants to murder him good.

In terms of actual crimes committed by sasuke, it's killing the samurai and Danzo, the kidnapping, and then attempting to murder Naruto so he can do whatever the gently caress his plan was at the end it made no sense.

He also murdered a guy from the Cloud Village when he went to capture B.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I know it's incredibly complicated, especially when you factor in that apparently Itachi had some sort of terminal illness like stage 4 ninja cancer. But considering Itachi's death made Sasuke go "gently caress Konoha I'm gonna destroy that village" rather than what Itachi intended, well... I guess a least he comes to his senses eventually!

naruto had to beat the stupid out of him, and even then it only made sasuke slightly less of an rear end in a top hat. he has messenger birds that he sends into konoha, but has not contacted sakura at all for more than 10 years!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

naruto had to beat the stupid out of him, and even then it only made sasuke slightly less of an rear end in a top hat. he has messenger birds that he sends into konoha, but has not contacted sakura at all for more than 10 years!

He apparently does have electronic communication devices, he just frequently goes to places where he can't keep them charged.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He has another family in the fire country.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Umbreon posted:

He apparently does have electronic communication devices, he just frequently goes to places where he can't keep them charged.

no, that conversation stated that he didn't carry them because he didn't have the opportunity to charge them. hence the messenger birds. but my point is, sasuke easily could have stayed in touch with his family even if he was intent on staying away so that the village wouldn't turn against them. he never did because he doesn't care about sakura and salad and likely has another family somewhere.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Naruto is objectively a better dad to Sarada than Sasuke is or honestly ever could be.

Boruto thinks Sasuke is a better dad to him than Naruto is.

Mitsuki is basically just a runaway because seriously, gently caress living with Orochimaru, that flashback episode's gonna be hilarious when it comes down the pipe, I tell ya what.

Boruto the Animated Series is good because the kids are fun characters, and the we know the parents from their childhoods so seeing them as parents is actually pretty fun, they surprisingly managed to take an awful blatant cash-in series concept and actually make something decent of it so far.

...gently caress, Boruto Anime is gonna the anime Batman: Beyond, isn't it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

He has another family in the fire country.

I refuse to believe there are two different women willing to put up with his poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orochimaru knew that any child of his would have a hard time being accepted by the world, so despite growing mitsuki in a tube orochimaru still tried to find a way for mitsuki to be happy and successful. the method he devised was to imitate sasuke. sasuke is a huge piece of poo poo that no one likes, but he is grudgingly tolerated because the beloved hero naruto is on his side. so, orochimaru sent mitsuki in to latch on to naruto's kid. big o is an ancient gross snakey pedophile monster but he still did his best for his kid. and heck, his plan seems to be working!

by contrast, sasuke doesn't seem to have thought about salad at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

seiferguy posted:

Chocho: "I'm chubby like my dad, I inherited his expansion jutsu, and have dark skin and the bright hair just like my mom. Clearly these people aren't my parents!"

I appreciate they added that bit from Chocho's childhood. Her whole "I don't think I'm related to my parents!!!" thing is supposed to be silly anyways, but at least she has the slightest of justifications behind it now. And it'll make the punchline at the end better too.

EDIT: Also I see the anime made no attempts to explain Sasuke's poo poo Parent status like it did with Naruto. And you know what? I'm glad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 25, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like how Sasuke doesn't even recognize her, because somehow neither he, Naruto, or Sakura ever thought to send pictures of her along with his secret bird mail.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

I like how Sasuke doesn't even recognize her, because somehow neither he, Naruto, or Sakura ever thought to send pictures of her along with his secret bird mail.

i think naruto just kinda assumed that sasuke was in contact with his family. why would naruto be the one to send pictures to sasuke when he was obviously corresponding with his wife, as people who aren't giant pieces of poo poo do?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, Naruto had no idea just how bad Sasuke and Sakura were at being parents. It's a legitimate extension of one of his more enduring character traits: assuming his friends are better people than they really are.

It's like how the root of his issues with Boruto come from his shonen protagonist mandated trait of giving everything 120% effort, even when he really doesn't have to. Remember when Shikamaru told him he should just stay with his family instead of helping with the Nue? And how even though Naruto went anyways, he turned out to be useless?

It's things like that that make me respect Adult Naruto as a character. An honest effort was put into fleshing him out.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

no, that conversation stated that he didn't carry them because he didn't have the opportunity to charge them. hence the messenger birds. but my point is, sasuke easily could have stayed in touch with his family even if he was intent on staying away so that the village wouldn't turn against them. he never did because he doesn't care about sakura and salad and likely has another family somewhere.

He uses lightning style jutsu too, it would be trivial to use himself as a battery.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Adult Naruto is maybe the best thing about Boruto tbh. I liked him a lot after the timeskip, and he's even better as an adult.
Pity he's definitely gonna die horribly to give his son some pathos.

I don't think Sakura is a terrible mom though. Sure, Sarada is a bit of a latch key kid since she has to work a lot, but she does her best. I think you can be forgiven for putting off The Talk, when The Talk is about how daddy used to be literally ISIS and should probably have been executed for war crimes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

Adult Naruto is maybe the best thing about Boruto tbh. I liked him a lot after the timeskip, and he's even better as an adult.
Pity he's definitely gonna die horribly to give his son some pathos.

I don't think Sakura is a terrible mom though. Sure, Sarada is a bit of a latch key kid since she has to work a lot, but she does her best. I think you can be forgiven for putting off The Talk, when The Talk is about how daddy used to be literally ISIS and should probably have been executed for war crimes.

Yeah, as I recall the only reason Sasuke isn't dead or imprisoned for life right now (and by association, why Sarada exists at all) is because of Naruto and Kakashi putting in a good word for him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, as I recall the only reason Sasuke isn't dead or imprisoned for life right now (and by association, why Sarada exists at all) is because of Naruto and Kakashi putting in a good word for him.

I mean he did literally save the world, but yeah, Kakashi, Sakura, and Naruto kept the whole, trying to kill the Kage's thing after Kaguya died to themselves.

And if others didn't know about that than that it's pretty easy to craft a narrative about Sasuke that would absolve him of most of his sins, considering him bringing the previous Hokage's and stopping Kaguya literally saved every single person in the world.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
It's not like anything short of a prison built out of Naruto clones would be able to keep Sasuke imprisoned anywhere anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like anything short of a prison built out of Naruto clones would be able to keep Sasuke imprisoned anywhere anyway.

Not without them surgically removing his eyes anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sasuke's one appearance in The Last is him using chidori to save Konoha from a falling meteor that would have basically been Pain all over again except no one's getting revived this time. So I guess Konoha owes him for that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Plus it seems like by the time Boruto starts he's becomes a one-man espionage black ops squad. He's been infinitely more valuable than he has been harmful.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

On the other hand Sasuke couldn't be assed to go to either Naruto's wedding or his inauguration.

If nothing else, he is devoted to being the worst friend imaginable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

On the other hand Sasuke couldn't be assed to go to either Naruto's wedding or his inauguration.

And yet despite all that and the whole deadbeat dad issue he's still a somewhat more tolerable character now than he was in his previous incarnations (in fact, I'd actually say the resolution to his final fight with Naruto was handled better in the anime than it was in the manga).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Actually I guess I have to be fair. There's no way Sasuke is ever topping Madara for Worst Friend In Existence.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

hey! naruto didn't go to his inauguration either

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

hey! naruto didn't go to his inauguration either

Ah right, technically Konohamaru is the 7th Hokage but nobody needs to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It was pretty funny that he missed being inaugurated as strongest ninja in the village because he got KOd by his 5 year old daughter like 20 minutes prior.