Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The "just make her omniscient so I don't have to justify how the villains know anything" part is pretty funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Give credit to Kishimoto, at least he dodged the possible incest angle right away. Other mangaka wouldn't have done that.

Also, my bet: she's actually Amado's daughter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Only Tsunade would bet against that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think she's cool

Her design? Baller. But I've got some serious sideye for a woman whose power is everyone falls madly in love with her and whose motivation is to enslave one of the few people who could potentially love her unconditionally. Especially considering Kishimoto's track record with writing women

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Naruto stuck using Zoom just like the rest of us. Truly a man of the people.

Sindai posted:

Only Tsunade would bet against that.

Well, Delta is still an option. Actually, kind of weird for Eida to call her dad dreamy so...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
spent this entire chapter rolling my eyes out of my head

come the gently caress on with this poo poo

like not only do we spend like twenty pages on two people sitting in a room and talking but our new villain is like a bundle of the weakest femme fatale cliches imaginable. Can't wait until Kawaki's love somehow redeems her in the end while she cries a single tear over the terrible things she's done or some poo poo

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 20, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

She should get taken out by a I love my wife rasengan

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Or going to get killed by one of the edgier edgelords uttering something along the lines of, "To protect this village, I'd kill even my wife/husband/kin."

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hinata is gonna come out swinging and somehow get 3rd eye rinnegan because Naruto falls in love. ~fin~

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

spent this entire chapter rolling my eyes out of my head

come the gently caress on with this poo poo

like not only do we spend like twenty pages on two people sitting in a room and talking but our new villain is like a bundle of the weakest femme fatale cliches imaginable. Can't wait until Kawaki's love somehow redeems her in the end while she cries a single tear over the terrible things she's done or some poo poo

My guess is she's going to be a big part of how the opening chapter ends up happening. Only thing that can ruin the power of friendship in Kishimoto's world is prideful vengeance and feminine wile.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Feminine wile? In Naruto?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Or going to get killed by one of the edgier edgelords uttering something along the lines of, "To protect this village, I'd kill even my wife/husband/kin."

I mean...Sasuke is right there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Boruto will bust out the sexy jutsu and somehow save the day

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I want bullshit power level Mitsuki asap

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hypocrisy posted:

I mean...Sasuke is right there.

You know, I originally wrote Sasuke in there, but this isn't his story anymore, so I left it open.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man this chapter was something.

I'm actually pretty okay with the exposition itself, he covers a bunch of easy plotholes like Henge being the solution. But it's all so clunky.
If this is all Kishimoto, then Naruto really was an accident.
The previous super strong bad guy, who none of our heroes even came close to defeating, is dead. Well, here is his hidden subordinate who's even stronger but let his powers get curtailed because loyalty. Oh, but now he's lonely. Let's pull a perfect sensor and highly powerful android from my rear end. But she's a woman, so...now everyone is in love with her making her impossible to defeat.
It somehow reminds me of how the directors of the Dragonball movies were told that every villain had to be stronger than the previous one. Except in this case it stops making sense.
So any guesses on who the blood relative is going to turn out to be? My money is on Kawaki.
The way Eida is drawn is something else. They obviously want her to be sexy, but she's just hideous. Well at least she doesn't appear to be a teen unlike Sarada...I hope. :gonk:

One thing I do like though. Chakra was meant to be the big energy that connects everyone, from that point of view having someone with the ability to spy on literally anyone anywhere is actually pretty neat.

And I can't stop laughing at Amado having to specify to Naruto that Hinata and Himawari absolutely must not take the drug, or else. That will never come into play, nope never.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He just hung that gun and painted it neon yellow

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He just hung that gun and painted it neon yellow

It's Kishimoto. There were a surprising amount of Chekov's Guns that didn't fire in Naruto, so who even knows.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There was a lot of foreshadowing and callbacks in Naruto (albeit some of it is only called as such with the power of hindsight now that it's a completed work)

Kaguya was subtly foreshadowed as far back as Pain's Invasion where Nagato says that the Chibaku Tensei he made to capture Nine-Tails was nothing compared to the Sage of Six Paths, who made the moon, yet it's such a throwaway line until Hagoromo shows up and talks about his mother hundreds of chapters later

Sasuke also brought back the "You're not afraid, are you?"/"What's the matter, scaredy-cat?" shtick in chapter 647

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think there’s a line from Kabuto back during the Sasuke Retrieval Arc about Kimimaro being from the Kaguya Clan as well (though it never comes up again so I’m not sure if that counts as foreshadowing or not). Also, I don’t believe said line is present in the anime version for whatever reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Larryb posted:

I think there’s a line from Kabuto back during the Sasuke Retrieval Arc about Kimimaro being from the Kaguya Clan as well (though it never comes up again so I’m not sure if that counts as foreshadowing or not). Also, I don’t believe said line is present in the anime version for whatever reason.

The Kaguya Clan thing is in the manga. It's just one of those things, where they're one of the random descendants of her sons' lines, ala the Hyuuga and Uchiha. This basically gets paid off when Kaguya uses bone moves during her fight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

The Kaguya Clan thing is in the manga. It's just one of those things, where they're one of the random descendants of her son's lines, ala the Hyuuga and Uchiha. This basically gets paid off when Kaguya uses bone moves during her fight.

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Not sure why the line about the Kaguya Clan was cut from the anime though (or was it, I forget)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Nah, it was there. The anime actually gave a little bit more about the Kaguya Clan than the manga did when Kimimaro was introduced. Not a whole lot, just some other clan members appearing and raising hell during his backstory time.

Also a Zabuza and Haku appearance, which was nice, but still just makes the timeline weird as hell when it comes to Kimimaro, Juugo and the curse seals. Not that this was a problem just in the anime, it just made it all the more blatant that it doesn't make much sense. Seems like something they would have addressed in the anime at some point with an Anko story, but they never did.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2021

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Man thinking back to the early Naruto story and how generally well written it was, the post time-skip era was such a gradual let down in comparison. So much interesting lore and power levels built up only to be written off as soon as Akatsuki showed up and power crept everything to poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Nah, it was there. The anime actually gave a little bit more about the Kaguya Clan than the manga did when Kimimaro was introduced. Not a whole lot, just some other clan members appearing and raising hell during his backstory time.

Also a Zabuza and Haku appearance, which was nice, but still just makes the timeline weird as hell when it comes to Kimimaro, Juugo and the curse seals. Not that this was a problem just in the anime, it just made it all the more blatant that it doesn't make much sense. Seems like something they would have addressed in the anime at some point with an Anko story, but they never did.

Ah yeah, they never really did much with Anko aside from a filler arc during the first season that went into her backstory a bit more (which is still more than the manga ever did to be fair).

Tenten also got a lot more focus in the anime for whatever reason whereas in the manga she was mostly just a talking prop at best (we don’t even get to see her fight in the manga version until the War arc if I remember right)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not saying Kishimoto never foreshadowed stuff, but that obviously he foreshadowed a bunch of things he ultimately didn't pay off, especially in part 2, where you have stuff like Naruto's injuries/lifespan-shortening never paying off in any meaningful way, Naruto's jutsu he was never supposed to use turning out to be the jinchuuriki transformation which no one else ever referred to as a jutsu, there's a whole bunch of manipulations Tobi does to get Sasuke to work for Akatsuki and he seems to even want to attach him to the statue, and then it all turns out to be... nothing??? Because they can just seal the bijuu without anybody being attached to the statue.

All in all, I'd say that Naruto's ending came together miraculously well and the power creep was even... somewhat justified and foreshadowed in Part 1, but even just spending a little bit of time paying attention to the details it's obvious that Kishimoto wasn't able or maybe even willing to pay off every single idea he put down for the sake of having foreshadowing for the future.

Then again, Boruto is a slower monthly series, so it's likely that he has more time to plan out in advance now. Which incidentally also means that there's no excuse for stuff like Eida, c'mon.

EDIT: Oh, the Akatsuki rings were treated as very important initially and then nothing came up with them. At least it was one of those details where you can kinda see what it could mean in your head.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 21, 2021

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Why is the adult woman calling a twelve year old boy 'cute and dreamy' :stare:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Why is the adult woman calling a twelve year old boy 'cute and dreamy' :stare:

I mean, we have no idea how old she is, tbh.

But this reminded me of something that's been bugging me... in the anime, Kawaki looks like he's something like 16 or 17, but in the manga I always assumed, based on how he was drawn, that he'd be the same age as Boruto. Which is it? Is Kawaki so socially stunted because of his Kara training that he became 'bros' with a tween? Do the anime people just assume bad boys age faster?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assumed Kawaki was older.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Same, I thought he was older based on the flashbacks to when he was "acquired" from his father and how they framed the time since the war, plus how long he had been with the Kara.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I don't mind Eida, she has a clear selfish and villianous motivation and spends most of her non-exposition time passive agressivley making GBS threads on the mess called Code.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I fear no ninja

But that face

It scares me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, new chapter:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-58/chapter/22432?action=read

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Naruto's face was the best part of the chapter, though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m not sure how I feel about this chapter. On the one hand, cool to see the kids together as a team and train. On the other this didn’t progress the story or give us new insights in their relationships. We already knew Kawaki was a shithead and inpatient. We already knew he and Burrito have a begrudging respect for eachother.
I suppose the one thing it did give us is Kawaki showing he wants to get stronger any way he can find. Which will probably lead to his downfall.
I feel like this chapter could’ve accomplished the same at half the length.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think the sequence where he fights Boruto was also supposed to imply that in a sense, he misses Karma, which is something that was already alluded to by Amado during the Isshiki fight.

It really does feel like the manga is spinning its wheels at the moment though. Even at its worst, Naruto never felt like this to me. Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm sure it'll make sense in the anime after 100 episodes of Kawaki and Boruto hanging out and going on various missions

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’m guessing the anime will be going back to filler territory (if you can even call it that since in this case it’s mostly just expanding on the manga) pretty soon. Possibly during the time where Kawaki is training/working on fixing Himawari’s vase.

Also it’s odd they haven’t announced a second Boruto movie yet (I think the original and Shippuden had at least two or three under their belt by this point in the series).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kind of a rough chapter for a month's wait but I guess they have to explicitly show Kawaki doing more ninja training (and also dislike the ninja way).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's funny, because Boruto is doing stuff that I wish Naruto had spent the time to do pre-time jump.

Which is actually like spend time with Naruto/Sasuke/Sakura, and the other kids to establish a real and shown relationship, and not just abuse flashbacks to show character interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was Kurama talking to Kawaki about Naruto’s past in the manga or just something the anime added (which was a good decision in my opinion if the latter)?

I don’t remember if the upcoming Sasuke story is also from the manga or if we’re back to anime only content (seems like it could be interesting at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 31, 2021