Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

OwlFancier posted:

Bud if you want to jerk it to the idea of shooting me in the head I'm not gonna stop you but I don't super want to be involved.

You're all hosed up from years of torture, I don't see the reason to think you are a rational actor. If life is effectively the basement pit from the Silence of the Lambs, not killing you is the ethical version of looking down at that poor woman as she goes "It's cool, I'm sure this will resolve itself eventually, and hey this guy has really good lotion!" and then walking away. Theoretical future suffering of the unborn is just that, theoretical. Your suffering is real and immediate. I honestly don't know how you can ethically justify anyone allowing your suffering to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liiiiiitle bit creepy now duder.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

The issue with that line of thinking is that it makes all ethics meaningless because everyone is going to die.

So? What do you care?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Mulva stop being a weirdo.

OwlFancier posted:

The issue with that line of thinking is that it makes all ethics meaningless because everyone is going to die.

I would tend to take the position that suffering experienced is probably bad, like, objectively so, insomuch as anything can be, regardless of what happens afterwards.

Unfortunately you're rejecting the one insight that sounds like it might help you make peace with yourself and your brief time on earth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

So? What do you care?

Why would I not?

Helsing posted:

Unfortunately you're rejecting the one insight that sounds like it might help you make peace with yourself and your brief time on earth.

I tried nihilism but it was boring. Really hard to keep up for long.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Why would I not?

Because you don't have anything other than fallacious reasoning to care. Plus, in your perfect world all sapient life would die off and ethics are useless in such a world.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That's not nihilism. What you currently believe is essentially nihilism but with a thin veil of self aggrandizement on top of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Helsing posted:

Mulva stop being a weirdo.

Nah, anyone that gets into a discussion with a starting position of "When you think of it maybe sterilization is a kindness?" should be constantly reminded of the nearest tall buildings around them and the cheapest ways to get some inert gasses. If you can't justify killing yourself you are really just an rear end in a top hat when you try to deny life to others. It's "gently caress you got mine" in existential value of existence form. And it deserves zero respect. Kill the rich, no matter the nature of their temporal wealth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Because you don't have anything other than fallacious reasoning to care.

I mean, from my perspective that is true of everyone whether they believe it or not, it evidently isn't an obstacle for them so I don't see why it should be for me?

I also don't live in a perfect world. Or, don't not live, or whatever. Actually I think my perfect world would be one where I am wrong, and the optimist in me hopes that one day people might live in such a world, but the creation of such a world isn't contingent on you creating as many people as possible right now so you still shouldn't have kids.

Helsing posted:

That's not nihilism. What you currently believe is essentially nihilism but with a thin veil of self aggrandizement on top of it.

What's the insight then because I think I'm missing it.

Mulva posted:

Nah, anyone that gets into a discussion with a starting position of "When you think of it maybe sterilization is a kindness?" should be constantly reminded of the nearest tall buildings around them and the cheapest ways to get some inert gasses. If you can't justify killing yourself you are really just an rear end in a top hat when you try to deny life to others. It's "gently caress you got mine" in existential value of existence form. And it deserves zero respect. Kill the rich, no matter the nature of their temporal wealth.

I mean, I'm forced to assume that you're making babies all the time, then?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 1, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, from my perspective that is true of everyone whether they believe it or not, it evidently isn't an obstacle for them so I don't see why it should be for me?

I also don't live in a perfect world. Or, don't not live, or whatever. Actually I think my perfect world would be one where I am wrong, and the optimist in me hopes that one day people might live in such a world, but the creation of such a world isn't contingent on you creating as many people as possible right now so you still shouldn't have kids.

You shouldn't have kids. You don't have any valid reasons why anybody else shouldn't have kids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You shouldn't have kids. You don't have any valid reasons why anybody else shouldn't have kids.

I think if you're going to you should probably be able to expect that their lives will be enjoyable. And if you can't, I think that's kind of unethical.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

OwlFancier posted:

I think if you're going to you should probably be able to expect that their lives will be enjoyable. And if you can't, I think that's kind of unethical.

Happiness is intrinsic. How can anyone be expected to decide for someone else what an enjoyable life is?

No one can predict whether someone's life will be enjoyable or not before they are born.

What a silly argument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Happiness is intrinsic. How can anyone be expected to decide for someone else what an enjoyable life is?

No one can predict whether someone's life will be enjoyable or not before they are born.

What a silly argument.

I can probably take a guess based on my material circumstances what the circumstances of my children are likely to be, and I can probably suggest that if they haven't given me a super good life, maybe they won't give my kids one either.

Unless you're suggesting that quality of life is literally a dice roll and has no heritable factors or environmental basis whatsoever, in which case, well, I wholly disagree.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I can probably take a guess based on my material circumstances what the circumstances of my children are likely to be, and I can probably suggest that if they haven't given me a super good life, maybe they won't give my kids one either.

Unless you're suggesting that quality of life is literally a dice roll and has no heritable factors or environmental basis whatsoever, in which case, well, I wholly disagree.

Or maybe you actually are living a super good life and just can't see it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And if maybe if my aunt had worn trousers she would have been my uncle.

E:

Who What Now posted:

Women can wear pants, don't be sexist.

My grandmother used to say that to me when she thought I was asking silly "if" questions but apparently it's not a thing anyone else says upon googling it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 1, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

And if maybe if my aunt had worn trousers she would have been my uncle.

Women can wear pants, don't be sexist.

Casaubon
Mar 28, 2010

notaaron

DeusExMachinima posted:

Real talk though I always thought the resolution to bringing someone into this world and them deciding their existence was necessarily evil/anti-eco was just called suicide. When they cease existing they're not experiencing or remembering any suffering anymore so it's neutral just like the good someone not yet conceived has yet to experience.

The anti-natalist argument is that having been born is itself harmful, and suicide doesn't resolve that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

I reckon Cary Fukunaga's direction and the performance of the two lead actors pretty much carried season one. Pizzolatto's writing was mainly cribbed from Ligotti and Lovecraft and a sort of generic pulp detective style that gelled really well in season one, but when he turned that approach to basically wholesale ripping off James Ellroy it fell flat due to a lackluster cast and shifting classic noir clichées to an incongruous present day setting.

I mean if you don't consider the direction and cinematography to be a pretty integral draw for season one, you need to rewatch episode 4's stash house stickup again. The differences in formal and technical proficiency are pretty stark between the two seasons and that brought season two's lackluster and derivative writing to the fore to its detriment.

season one hosed up by not exploring more of the institutional cover up of pedophilia and instead culminating in a 'crazy guy in the woods' thing

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
crazy guy in the bayou, whatever

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
How is all ethics being meaningless because everyone dies any different than there being no ethics because everyone died off?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

OwlFancier posted:

Rain was good the last couple of years, the lambs are getting fat and few are stillborn. I am getting a good price for eggplant, and the house has a newly thatched roof. The local school just got a new generator, and there hasn't been a war since I was a child. My childrens will likely have a happy life.

I'm not maxing out that 401k like I should, the price of rent in this city is crazy and I'm not even halfway towards a down payment on a decent home. What with my wife's student loans not paid off, and the whole Trump thing, I just don't think I could give my children a happy existence. I mean, our school district not even in the top ten in the city.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Having kids in America is morally and ethically indefensible. This inbred and uncivilized country doesn't even guarantee children the right to see a doctor. I still wouldn't have kids even if I lived in a civilized Western country. The modern world is rapidly heading towards a perfect storm of overpopulation, automation, famine, nuclear proliferation, totalitarianism (thanks to surveillance technology), and fundamentalist movements gaining momentum around the globe. This isn't sustainable. You might as well enjoy a hedonistic lifestyle as much as you can while it's still possible.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

The only kind of life that it is moral to bring a child into is, like, a Borg Cube, but of constant pleasure.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Alienwarehouse posted:

You might as well enjoy a hedonistic lifestyle as much as you can while it's still possible.

What the gently caress is the point of that if I can't bare nut in random chicks and walk away from any resulting children?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Having kids is morally wrong in the same way that eating farmed meat is.

Like, yeah cutting the poo poo it is 100% objectively bad all the arguments to the contrary are just, "This part isn't quite as bad as they say," or, "But look at this small good aspect!" At the same time though, nobody sane blames any individual for doing it and humans are going to human so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mulva posted:

You're a loving moron who belongs on /r/iam14andthisisdeep

And even though I won't be having kids, I encourage everyone to keep breeding as I'm going to need cheap Ubers for the forseeable future

call to action fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 3, 2017

• Locked thread