Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Omobono posted:

'Sup 1B. Maybe 0B or PB (P for prototype). Something tells me you'll fit right in here in :yokotaro: land.

if there's a 9S, that means there's probably a 9X running around out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

In the second playthrough you play as 9S, and just like many times before there's a radical shift in gameplay. Except, instead of turning into a side scroller, or a shoot 'em up, it turns into a dating sim.

With Adam being the rival, and Eve being the good-intentioned fuckup wingman buddy!

skylarkfreedom
May 23, 2009

In the second playthrough you play as 9S, and just like many times before there's a radical shift in gameplay. Except, instead of turning into a side scroller, or a shoot 'em up, it turns into a dating sim.
Funny thing is, after the rhythm game shifts, this doesn't seem far fetched.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Relevant:

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/874092883535593472

:yokotaro:, king of random.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's in Mexico. He's visiting a school to give a speech to developers while he's there. He's a good boy.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's in Mexico. He's visiting a school to give a speech to developers while he's there. He's a good boy.

I assume when he comes back we'll get Poncho and Sombrero 2B DLC.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
His English isn't that good, though. He probably meant "drink tequila".

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
I mean who doesn't love tacos? Nobody I'd want to associate with.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

For anyone interested, there's a fan translation of Yoko Taro's mobile game going on over at http://theworsttale.tumblr.com/

The weapon stories are just as great as you're hoping.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:yokotaro:'s mobile game SinoAlice is doing gangbusters in gross revenue. It even out did Fate Grand Order for at least a week which is no small feat.

Everything's turning to gold for him at the moment. :3:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Anyone know if SINoALICE will come to NA? Or is it gonna be stuck in Japan?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HR12345 posted:

Anyone know if SINoALICE will come to NA? Or is it gonna be stuck in Japan?

There's no English release date, at any rate.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

apocalypticCritic posted:

I mean who doesn't love tacos? Nobody I'd want to associate with.

https://twitter.com/Reddo_Demon/status/874093612077854720/photo/1

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

God that is perfect, though I feel even food made by Yoko Taro would have some story involving some form of -cide and the death of a small orphanage.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Where do you think that meat comes from?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dalthorn posted:

God that is perfect, though I feel even food made by Yoko Taro would have some story involving some form of -cide and the death of a small orphanage.

It has eyes and teeth, of course something died in the process.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Jesus mystery bot, give us a little warning. Almost ganked nines as he comedy falled down the stairs!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XL: A2

Howdy, boxart main character #3. Umm... what’s your deal? You gonna join the party or are you the rival character? We’ve already sort of got this dickless shirtless machine boy band filling that niche, but...

A YoRHa-type android!
Alert: This unit is currently wanted by YoRHa. Annihilation recommended.
Annihilation? But why!?
Let’s go, 9S.
2B!

Pod 042 rings with a communication from Command.

We’ve picked up a signal from the black box of a fugitive known as A2. What you see in front of you... is your enemy.
But she’s—
She deserted us. She’s destroyed multiple pursuit androids. Now kill her before she kills you! *disconnects*

Right, then... A2 was it...? You’ve got the letter before the number in your name. That’s cool... We do that the other way around nowadays. So uhh... what’s the “A” stand for...? Attitude? Hmm... Not much of a talker, huh? Sooooo... umm... we gonna... We gonna do this or—

Let the records show that 9S shot first.

New Music: Bipolar Nightmare (Calm)
(I think this is the only time this minimalist version of the song plays)

Time for a boss battle against YoRHa deserter A2! Unlike the last boss fight against Adam and Eve, this is a proper, if rather brief, battle with no false limiters or unseen timers. We’ve just got to kick A2’s rear end. Plain and simple.

Once more we’re confined to a 2D plane. A2 has the same move set as 2B if she’s equipped with a Small Sword in the light attack slot and Large Sword in the heavy attack slot. So there’s not a whole lot to talk about there.

A2’s also has much the same poise properties as 2B but none of the broken chips. So we if 2B (with a 9S assist) gets in a good combo, A2 can easily get stun-locked for a time until she’s knocked on her rear end. Or at least into the invisible walls that have appeared to confine the boss arena.

Though A2 will not allow that to continue for very long. She does possess a pair of unique boss moves to break out of getting comboed into oblivion. Both involve her suddenly dashing off screen. Depending on how the camera shifts, one of two special moves will be performed.

If the camera shifts a few ticks upward, A2 will perform a helm breaker right on top of 2B’s current position. It’s extremely telegraphed and perfect evading is a trifling matter. Or just... moving to the right or left a few paces...

If the camera shifts a hair to the right or left of the arena, A2 will rocket across the bottom of the screen with a burning red aura. This hurts a lot if it connects with 2B. This charge attack is far harder to evade since it covers the entire ground level and has a deceptively large hitbox.

That’s sort of all there is to the A2 fight. As I said, it’s a brief battle. And by that, I mean if it lasts for longer than 90 seconds that’s taking it slow. A2 disengages as soon as her total HP drops below 33% and hops up onto the castle window past the Forest King’s cradle.

Music: ENDS

Well, 9S. That’s a very complicated question. You’re going to have to go watch the Japanese-only stage play prequel starring A2 that was produced around the time Drakengard 3 was released (and is full of music from that game) and a good year before NieR: Automata was even announced. A2 had a whole bad time during that and came out kind of pissed at everyone involved. But that’s a story I’ll get to another day.

I as in me, the person writing this LP. So don’t you the person reading this LP take that as an invitation to start talking about any of that just because I offhand mentioned it. We’ll get to it at a relevant time later. Sit your rear end down. :argh:

With a vague seed of doubt planted about the already questionable motives behind Command, A2 peaces out for the rest of this playthrough. Really. That’s the last we see of A2 until at least we hit the first ending.

Fine, 9S. But I dunno if you noticed, but she sort of had a turbo dash... We don’t have one of those. I’m going to hazard a guess she’s gotten away.

Seriously, this lovely foggy draw distance. This is the ruins of the castle from ICO, isn’t it...? I bet there’s a windmill behind that locked gate in the back entrance.

You’re not A2. You are a moose.

Music: Forest Kingdom (Quiet)

*activates communicator* Operator, this is 9S. Patch me through to the Commander.
Roger that, 9S.

The Commander pops on the display screen...

I see. Well, at least you’re both safe. That’s an incredibly powerful unit you just faced. You should probably keep your distance in the future.
Commander, why did A2 desert the force?
I’m afraid that’s classified.
Oh? Huh.
*disconnects*

Yeah?
Let’s go ask Pascal about A2. He might know something.
All right.
*activates Pod communicator* Um, Pascal? This is 9S.

Pascal pops on screen...

Yeah, we’re fine. But there’s something we want to ask you about.
Of course! Anything.
Actually, it needs to be in person.
Hmm. Understood. I’ll open the gate we built to deter enemy invaders. You’ll be able to reach the village through there.

Well... That’s nice of you and all Pascal, but we could just... teleport back there in a quarter of the time. But fine. We’ll go check out your shortcut. Also the fact they’re still creating travel shortcuts kind of makes me suspect Fast Travel wasn’t something that existed initially and was added quite later on.

If our duo heads to the south past the accursed platforming challenge, there’s now a friendly machine lifeform waiting by the gate. I’m glad they’re still carrying around white flags when heading outside the village to make doubly sure 2B and 9S chill the gently caress out.

Pascal told us about you. We will open the gate.

The Gatekeeper Machine waves his flag to signal to his buddy up above. They’ve been waiting their whole lives for this singular moment. I mean... their names are “Gatekeeper Machine.”

We will continue to stand guard.

What helpful boys. Past the gate is a completely uneventful forest path that leads back to the Machine Village. We will now proceed to never use that shortcut as a means of moving through areas again.

Music: Pascal (Vocal)

The new path dumps back to some platforms below where the Machine Family (Mother, Father, Child) were hanging out. We could have gone down here earlier but the gate still would have been sealed and everyone’s time would be wasted.

But enough about that, let’s go chat with Pascal...

It’ll be faster if you just take a look at this recording.
<Transfer data.>

A series of still images of our protagonists’ encounter with A2 flashes by the Pod’s digital projection. I suppose that’s better than just fading out to explain events that just transpired. Or having a full on recap episode. NieR: Automata has a bit more budget than needing to stoop to those lows.

Information about this A2 android is indeed contained within our archives. We all understand her to be rather dangerous. However, she’s never visited our village in person. My apologies. That’s all the information I have.
I see... All right, thanks.

We should run a check on our consciousness data and resupply.

And that finally concludes Chapter 6: King of the Forest. Next time we will indeed be returning to the Resistance Camp. However... you see all those red blips on the map? It’s a lot, huh? Those are all sidequests. The Point of No Return for the vast majority of these sidequests is the next plot beat following the return to the Resistance Camp. So strap in for some morally ambiguous (or... moral lacking as we’ve seen) deep dives into side characters and world building as NieR: Automata continues!

Video: A2 Boss Battle and Chapter End Scenes
(You should probably at least watch the A2 fight.)

A2 Official Art – Between the first NieR, Drakengard 3 and this I kinda suspect Yoko Taro might be into leggy silver haired girls. Just a weird hunch...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

that robot baby was so cute :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

U-DO Burger posted:

that robot baby was so cute :smith:

It was! I admit I squeed over it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Well, 9S. That’s a very complicated question. You’re going to have to go watch the Japanese-only stage play prequel starring A2 that was produced around the time Drakengard 3 was released (and is full of music from that game) and a good year before NieR: Automata was even announced. A2 had a whole bad time during that and came out kind of pissed at everyone involved. But that’s a story I’ll get to another day.
Oh man, I got so much to say about the stage play. It doesn't have as much plot relevance as you'd think but-

The Dark Id posted:

I as in me, the person writing this LP. So don’t you the person reading this LP take that as an invitation to start talking about any of that just because I offhand mentioned it. We’ll get to it at a relevant time later. Sit your rear end down. :argh:
Oh uh....okay, boss.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
A loving neir STAGE PLAY :psyduck:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It was an excuse for Yoko Taro to watch scantily clad women.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It has musical numbers!
Not really. But imagine!

necroid
May 14, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

You’re going to have to go watch the Japanese-only stage play prequel starring A2 that was produced around the time Drakengard 3 was released (and is full of music from that game) and a good year before NieR: Automata was even announced.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

haha I thought that was a joke at first, I had to read it twice. what the hell?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

necroid posted:

haha I thought that was a joke at first, I had to read it twice. what the hell?

It's called YorHa, and it features women wearing short skirts and holding big guns

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Hemingway To Go! posted:

After the amount of essential backstory put into promo materials for Drakengard 3, I guess this was the only way for :yokotaro: to escalate. I wonder how his next non-gatcha game will top this. Maybe he'll release an 12-disk OVA anime as promo materials for his next game.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
They actually do at least include a summary of the YoRHa Stage Play much later on in the game. Well partially. It's from Anemone's perspective (she and the Commander are originally from that too) and leaves out most of the end of it and some of the weirder poo poo since Anemone wasn't around for that. I'll do a full summary of the play for an update when that becomes relevant about 40 updates from now. :v:

It has musical numbers!
Not really. But imagine!

It does, actually.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

None of those people have silver hair. I think you just grabbed some random picture from a... uh, whatever that is.

Actually, would that thing make a good candidate for streaming? I'm still disappointed at myself for missing Biohazard: The Stage.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yoko Taro lives the dream

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Dark Id posted:

They actually do at least include a summary of the YoRHa Stage Play much later on in the game. Well partially. It's from Anemone's perspective (she and the Commander are originally from that too) and leaves out most of the end of it and some of the weirder poo poo since Anemone wasn't around for that. I'll do a full summary of the play for an update when that becomes relevant about 40 updates from now. :v:

It does, actually.

Drakengard 3 had musical numbers too...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
A2's design reminds me of Bravely Default
not necessarily a bad thing

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DeafNote posted:

A2's design reminds me of Bravely Default
not necessarily a bad thing

That's because it's the same character designer.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

It does, actually.
:vince:
I WAS loving JOKING!
The summary I'd read of it made no mention of songs at all! I swear, I've read all your DrakeNier LPs and I've 100% this game and yet Yoko Taro still manages to find ways to make me go "What the hell?!"

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

exploded mummy posted:

Drakengard 3 had musical numbers too...

Well yeah. With hits like "My Name is Mikhail", it's no wonder the Drakengard universe went to the stage.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tarezax posted:

That's because it's the same character designer.

A designer who likes to start from the "back or buttocks" when designing a character, mind. He also designed the characters in FF Tactics , FFXII and Vagrant Story. Everything makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mMN-8rSx_s&t=159s

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Stage plays are a big thing in Japan. Id showed off the beautifully cheesy Resident Evil one during the I Am Setsuna LP, and other franchises from Persona to Phoenix Wright have had their own slew of stage plays. Some are just simple adaptations of the game plots, while others are actual stories within the respective franchise itself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Have you no respect for the dramatic arts?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

And you thought theater was dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A2...sounds like "et tu", as in "et tu brute?".

I'm trying to figure out what's gong on with her "top". The upper part looks like its actually painted onto her torso, but there's cloth hanging on the bottom.

• Locked thread