Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Square-Enix is actually running a contest about that shop theme.

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/nier-automata-emil-shop-song-lyric-video-contest

quote:

...all you need to do is make a NieR music video featuring this awesome track with on screen lyrics. Whether you want to use your own fan art, video capture from the game or screenshots, it's your call. All we ask is that you somehow incorporate the loveable Emil into the music video for our judges. Speaking of judges… our very own game director, YOKO TARO, will be the one selecting the winners so be sure to put your best foot forward.

The contest runs until next friday. Winners receive things signed by Yoko Taro, and the submission process involves some kind of bizarre digital raffle thing. Perhaps the real prize is the idea that your submission will be judged by Yoko Taro himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have an IRL friend named Emile and it was fun to show him Nier Emil's theme song.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
if Nier has taught us anything, its bad to be best friends with a dude named Emil

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

I heard it too and even saw the block you had to pull, but couldn't figure out how to get to him. I think I saw someone mention it was a resolution problem, because when actually standing next to the block the camera no longer showed it, and trying to pull the block wasn't working.

I hope this doesn't come off too much as me trying to not sound like an idiot, but I think this might have happened to me. I didn't do nearly a 100% playthrough, but I generally tried to explore the levels. I also play it windowed, if that might be causing problems.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Square-Enix is actually running a contest about that shop theme.

The random loving "hee hee" in the upper right corner is peak Taro Yoko.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

We saw him five minutes ago in the forest castle and he rolled away, just a head.

Anyway, he probably jacked another machine body to build his cart and then ditched it so wandering homicidal androids wouldn't attack him again.

he's very good at getting ahead

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

he's very good at getting ahead
He managed to get a loudspeaker, a robot arm and a tuktuk in the span of maybe an hour that it took for 2B and 9S to get through the forest. Emil's really on a roll.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

dalthorn posted:

Emil...Emil! :argh:

As much as I love the goof he was one hell of an annoyance towards the end of the game when I was trying to finish upgrading all my weapons. You have the choice of screwing with reloads and running back and forth until Emil decides to appear where you want and with the correct inventory for materials or to go genocide more to hopefully get the drops you need to fully upgrade your weapons. Sometimes I felt like just killing everything robotic in the tristate area would of been quicker than the amount of reloads it took while trying to remember the exact amount of crap I needed to obtain still. :shepicide:

So to save people time who may need to get a specific Emil shop, the fastest way to do it is to start at the resistance camp and check where he spawns. If he isn't where you need him to be, grab a moose and head to the desert zone, don't warp. Get the desert zone to load, then head back and check Emil's spawn location. For whatever reason, this tends to get Emil to cycle his spawn locations quicker than loading any other location in the game. It can still take time, but the item upgrade shop should cycle in fairly quickly. If you warp, it tends to reset his load out to the most common one.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Repo Man posted:

So to save people time who may need to get a specific Emil shop, the fastest way to do it is to start at the resistance camp and check where he spawns. If he isn't where you need him to be, grab a moose and head to the desert zone, don't warp. Get the desert zone to load, then head back and check Emil's spawn location. For whatever reason, this tends to get Emil to cycle his spawn locations quicker than loading any other location in the game. It can still take time, but the item upgrade shop should cycle in fairly quickly. If you warp, it tends to reset his load out to the most common one.

OMG thank you. I've only seen Emil near the resistance camp, like, once.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Emil has always been exactly where I needed him when I needed him, because he is a Good Boy and a Good Friend :colbert:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So are we going to take Emil up on his offer to visit his house?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: never mind

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spoilers, man

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Peacetime or wartime, ain't nobody who don't smile a little at the chance to buy and sell. That's the power of money!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I cannot stop humming this theme. I haven't even played the game, it's just SO CATCHY.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
That's just joyful. I'd love some sort of Chronicles of Emil comic or something detailing silly Emil adventures after the first Nier.

The Dark Id posted:

We received a couple emails why 6O was gushing about pretty flowers.

"while", I think.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

The Repo Man posted:

Side note as well:

The side quests provide you a LOT of the materials you need to upgrade both your weapons and pods fully, you'll get to a point where you have the choice of either completing some of the more time consuming side quests to obtain a guaranteed amount of materials or mass killing robots for a slim chance to get what is needed. There was some earlier complaints about Pure Water being a pain in the rear end to get to upgrade your pods the first time but it, and some of the other tedious materials for the pods, are actually just from the loot spots in certain areas. If you know which area drops it all you have to do is warp in, farm, warp put, and repeat for a bit. While the non gatling pods are so-so/situational their upgrades are pretty loving nice to compensate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

I cannot stop humming this theme. I haven't even played the game, it's just SO CATCHY.

Emil's leitmotif is also present in the first game in two of the best tracks, Emil (Karma) and Emil (Sacrifice). The latter was the game's "strap the gently caress in because things are about to get SUUUUPER depressing" theme. Hearing it repurposed as a manic sales jingle is delightful.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Would advise people against googling those tracks tbh.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XLII: Father’s Day Gift

Music: Rays of Light (Medium)

We’ve now officially become friends with absolute top boy Emil. His joyful shop theme will now echo through the City Ruins for the remainder of the game. Emil doesn’t have much of a role in the central plot. Indeed, his only actual plot contribution is opening that gate to the Forest Zone. If one were to mainline just primary quests, that would be the solitary time Emil shows up in the entire narrative. Obviously, that’s not what we’re doing so we’ll be seeing this orb child again in the future.

You may have noticed there’s a red blip on the map right next to Emil’s Shop’s initial spawn point. And you may remember that location from an earlier quest. Seems Father Servo is ready for another bout and...

...he’s looking a wee bit different since our initial encounter. You been lifting, Father Servo? What’s up?

Be warned! Father Servo has used your previous gift to make himself stronger than ever. Would you like to test yourself against this new modification?
<Spar with Father Servo.>
Time is a great wheel, yet do not expect things to transpire as they did when last we met.

And here we go. Robo Dojo: Round 2. Dramatic Battle Mode. 2B and 9S vs. Father Servo Brown. Get Ready for the Next Battle...

Music: Birth of a Wish

Father Servo has beefed up considerably since his rather lackluster first encounter. Mostly by investing in some proper legs and arms. Servo’s white belt form didn’t display its currently level but I’m guessing he wasn’t Level 30 last time considering he now sports twice as much HP.

I don’t believe we’ve actually encountered a dual-axe small biped type machine lifeform. If we have, they obviously didn’t leave an impression compared to their Gutsman-esque medium biped cousins. Father Servo’s attacks in his second form mostly consist of lunging attacks. They come in two varieties. One where he’ll do a front flip spin that has long range but a short radius.

The other is a forward dashing lunge with short range but a very wide sweep. This one is trickier to dodge since the actual attack doesn’t come out till the last second.

Father Servo also has a few basic melee spinning axe attacks on the ground. But they’ve got such a long wind-up that he’ll more easily get stun locked out of the attack by his android opponents than ever pulling it off.

All in all, Father Servo’s Brown Belt upgrade doesn’t serve him very well. The fight took about 90 seconds this time instead of like 30. So I suppose he is improving gradually. But regardless...

SLASH!

Music: Rays of Light (Medium)

Let us discuss the fee.
Oh, come on! YOU’RE the one who wanted to test—
Would you truly refuse a single request from this old monk?
Okay, don’t even start with me.
Father Servo surrendered all worldly possessions and took numerous vows, yet you would deny him even a simple request!?
All right, all right! Fine! What do you want this time?
One memory alloy and one broken circuit. The world moves ever on, my child, so do not dawdle.
Would you stop calling me that already?

It just so happens we already have that junk. The memory alloy is a common drop from small and medium biped machines. And we got some Broken Circuits from that Stamp Collecting quest a while back. Here you go, sensei. Go get yourself a fresh paint job and a tail or some poo poo. I dunno. You machines are weird like that.

Ah, excellent. Now Father Servo can modify himself anew. When you return, he will be stronger than ever!
Oh, I can’t wait for that...
Such impatience! Are you truly so eager to see how Father Servo evolves?

That completes the second part of Father Servo’s questline. We’re not done with the warrior monk machine by a long shot. Though it is probably the last time we’ll be facing him anytime soon. His next evolution is... formidable. And by formidable, I mean outranks us by nearly 25 levels from where we currently stand.

Let’s finish up the last of the quests we’ve been directly issued before taking on any further new jobs. Machine Examination we just progressed another tick. That needs to cool down. Half-Wit Inventor isn’t going anywhere. It’s one of the few quests that isn’t effected by the next plot mission or even completing the game. It and Father Servo’s questlines are some of the few persistent quests. Finally, Wandering Couple requires venturing to the new zone. So that can wait as well.

Which leaves us with being nice to 6O. I think can afford to do that real quick...

The Desert Rose, amazingly enough, grows out in the Desert Zone. Specifically, there is one just outside of the oil oasis overlooked by the YoRHa junkies.

Music: Memories of Dust (Quiet)

We’ll just skip on over there and see what’s up. Apparently this quest can be a little bit buggy. It seems the Desert Rose for the quest spawns as soon as we get that communicator message from 6O after speaking to Pascal about A2. But the actual quest itself doesn’t trigger until 2B reads her email from 6O and has the discussion with Pod 042 about the gift. So it’s possible to go retrieve the Desert Rose but it not counting as a quest item (it’s technically somewhat valuable vendor trash.) This then makes it necessary to go seek out another Desert Rose from an unmarked material gather spot and it’s iffy if the game will count that.

This is why you should take a quest and then go complete it as far as possible before grabbing another one if you’re uncertain if conflicts will arise. The Desert Rose is found by a rock outcropping just northeast of the oasis Access Point. There are a few machines lingering about. But they’re just random spawns (that are still single digit levels) and are barely worth mentioning.

Let’s grab that flower and...

Affirmative. *camera click*
Image data transfer complete.

6O takes all of five seconds to call up 2B...

New Music: Vague Hope (Instrumental)

2B here. Go ahead.
Thank you so much for the picture! So this is a desert rose, huh? It seems almost... mystical. There must just be a bounty of nature down there, huh?
Some, yes. I’ve seen lilies, cherry blossoms, daffodils, and even lunar tears. I’ll try to send more if I can.
Oh, 2B... I’m going to treasure this forever! Oh, and I’m going to send you a proper thank-you mail later, so keep an eye out for it. Bye!

By “later” Operator 6O meant .05 seconds later she slammed everything of remote value she had into an email attachment file and digitally rocketed that poo poo so hard into 2B’s inbox it left a cyber crater that obliterated no less than three old IT notifications.

Well there is a terminal within walking distance and this quest isn’t over until we gain our rewards. Let’s see what 6O left us...

Some semi-rare materials, 5000 G, a new Pod Program AND a new weapon. I dunno. I think 6O liked our present. May as well check out our counter gifts. Let’s take a look at that sword first.

The Type-4O sword doesn’t pack quite as much of a punch as other YoRHa issue weapons we’ve gotten. Its advantage comes with upgrades, which all increase its Stun capabilities. Stunned enemies can be hit with those flashy special anime rear end attacks by tapping the interact button while they’re downed. That gets significantly less useful as the game progresses as machines adapt to just be absurdly resistant to stunning. So ehh...

At maximum level, the Type-4O Sword gains Energy Charge. This gives it an electricity elemental effect. It only charges up its energy when not used for a couple seconds. More of a novelty than useful. That time charging up electricity is time you could be stabbing machines several times.

Type-4O Sword posted:

YoRHa R&D Team Journal: August 29
Held a progress-report meeting for the new weapon. Considering
how many observers we have from the other orbiting satellites, I
can tell they expect a lot from us.

YoRHa R&D Team Journal: December 10
We had our first core-installation experiment today. Saw some
troubling signs, including issues with unexpected irregular output
and core perimeter defenses.

YoRHa R&D Team Journal: January 8
The Circuits of three consecutive staffers burned out after
attempting to remove the core's protection. I've requested
replacement personnel.

YoRHa R&D Team Journal: January 15
Command pulled the plug on our project. The weapon will be put into
official operation with the core still sealed."

I don’t think we have enough information to make heads or tails of what that one is talking about. Definitely wouldn’t stick that one on a black journal page and make it a rare random loading screen if this were another game in this series. No sir...

Our second major reward for this brief quest is a new Pod Program. A130: Bomb. This one ain’t fancy. But it sure gets the job done.

The Bomb Pod Program, as the name suggests, just loving carpet bombs and area with explosives. This thing tears up clustered groups of enemies and giant dudes. It’s probably one of the more potent damage dealing Pod Programs in the game. A charged Bomb attack with both Pods is enough to just about completely melt a Goliath Biped on its own. Bomb, Laser, and Mirage were my bread and butter as far as Pod Programs went for most all the game. I doubt that will change much for this LP’s playthrough.

In any case, that concludes our time sparring and being nice to coworkers. Now get a fuckin’ move on, 9S. We’ve got all of these sidequests to do and you’re dawdling around like a limp dick. Sheesh...

Video: Episode 42 Highlight Reel

Pod Official Art – Petting not depicted but appreciated.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 19, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think there is only one enemy in the entire game that I did not see bombs just melt when charged enough.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Every bop's a boo, every boos a bah...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That weapon story reads like "the battery electrocutes anyone who tries to remove it? Don't make the battery removable, problem solved, ship it."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I didn't realize pods are like little flying dinosaurs :3:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Bruceski posted:

That weapon story reads like "the battery electrocutes anyone who tries to remove it? Don't make the battery removable, problem solved, ship it."

That's how I read it, too, but I look forward to that assumption coming back to bite me on the rear end.

Further proof that Taro Yoko has made me paranoid: I spent a couple of minutes squinting at the name of the new sword because I can't help but read 'Type-40 Sword' (four-zero, forty) as 'Type-4O Sword' (four-oh, operator four). That second digit is wide enough that it could be the letter O instead of the number 0... ?

*android head explodes*

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It is 4O, as in the letter.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
*android head explodes again*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's names after it's creator, engineer Janet Type.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

We’ll just skip on over there and see what’s up. Apparently this quest can be a little bit buggy. It seems the Desert Rose for the quest spawns as soon as we get that communicator message from 6O after speaking to Pascal about A2. But the actual quest itself doesn’t trigger until 2B reads her email from 6O and has the discussion with Pod 042 about the gift. So it’s possible to go retrieve the Desert Rose but it not counting as a quest item (it’s technically somewhat valuable vendor trash.) This then makes it necessary to go seek out another Desert Rose from an unmarked material gather spot and it’s iffy if the game will count that.

I managed to farm one after the quest bugged out on me by reloading at the desert oil field constantly and picking up the 2~3 drops there for about 20 minutes.

The chime for collecting a quest item sounded! The message for collecting a quest item showed up! But 2B didn't tell Pod 042 to take a picture and it just didn't work at all until way later.
:negative:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

And here we go. Robo Dojo: Round 2. Dramatic Battle Mode. 2B and 9S vs. Father Servo Brown.
Father Servo Brown was my favorite early 80's robo-blaxploitation movie.

Picayune posted:

That's how I read it, too, but I look forward to that assumption coming back to bite me on the rear end.

Further proof that Taro Yoko has made me paranoid: I spent a couple of minutes squinting at the name of the new sword because I can't help but read 'Type-40 Sword' (four-zero, forty) as 'Type-4O Sword' (four-oh, operator four). That second digit is wide enough that it could be the letter O instead of the number 0... ?

*android head explodes*

It would make it more "Drakengard weapon story," a sword made out of the melted down remains of an unjustly slain operator unit.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Picayune posted:

*android head explodes*

Fun fact: the Type-4O line of weapons are A2's signature weapons. In fact this very sword was what she used to shish-ka-bob the Forest King.

I'm sure the explanation on how 6O got her hands on it is very interesting.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I'm sure 6O could just get one from the armory or whatever. A2 probably killed someone who was carrying one and took their poo poo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bomb is ridiculous and lets you punch way above your weight. That and the Axe of the Twins or whatever at high upgrade basically carried me through a huge chunk of the game.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Using Bomb when a whole bunch of robots charge at you at once is the best. Makes any further returns to the Forest Zone a lot more tolerable.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bomb is so satisfying to use. And after the first couple shots you can start moving around and attacking like normal while it keeps shooting for like 30 seconds.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Father Servo Brown was my favorite early 80's robo-blaxploitation movie.

It's also the name of my favorite series of detective novels, where a humble but insightful machine priest solves a series of murders using his distinctive viewpoint.

Who can forget his catchphrase "I bet A2 did it."?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hunt11 posted:

I think there is only one enemy in the entire game that I did not see bombs just melt when charged enough.

I just about never used any other pod program after I got Bomb.

6O gives the best presents!

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
How come 6O can upload a sword but 2B can't upload her a flower and just has to take a picture?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

2B's on a roaming data connection. The mailboxes have dedicated lines and fabbing equipment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Nohman posted:

How come 6O can upload a sword but 2B can't upload her a flower and just has to take a picture?

Probably the same reason 2B can upload herself.

• Locked thread