Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Power Bottom posted:

Y'know I was originally just shitposting about the similarities but this is getting uncomfortably similar, right down to defending a beach assault via giant zappy cannon and it only pissing off the Doom Whale even more. Is Grün going to turn out to be 2B's dad?

Not only that, Grün has the same response as Sin to being attacked: giant all-consuming death shockwave that fucks all the enemy combatants nearby utterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He's both Sin and a machina. Wakka would be losing his mind

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I found these, I feel like they fit this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJXCBuMQlaU

*snip* (Spoilery thumbnail. -ModEdit)

A, erm, different take on the soundtrack.

Yes, I do remember the Drakengard 3 thread, thank you very much

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 8, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

One of the links to that first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8vmCNL0Gs
GODS REBOUNDED BY RULES

Grun looks prettty goofy standing up, like a tall and bendy Stubby. It feels more congruous with the rest of the machines than Engels does. Or the Amazing Anime Twins...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He's both Sin and a machina. Wakka would be losing his mind

Wakka would be losing his poo poo well before that point. Machina that look and act like people? It'd be a miracle if he didn't have a stroke.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Power Bottom posted:

Wakka would be losing his poo poo well before that point. Machina that look and act like people? It'd be a miracle if he didn't have a stroke.

Most people would have at least a minor breakdown from seeing the birth of Adam and Eve.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Most people that would have had a breakdown at seeing that died so long ago they may as well not have existed.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Zonko_T.M. posted:

One of the links to that first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8vmCNL0Gs
GODS REBOUNDED BY RULES

Grun looks prettty goofy standing up, like a tall and bendy Stubby. It feels more congruous with the rest of the machines than Engels does. Or the Amazing Anime Twins...

Speaking of Engeles, you can see a bunch of cranes and random construction equipment sticking out of his back. I always assumed Grun was basically a bunch of Engeles stuck together, which would fit in pretty well with the modular, mix-and-match design philosophy most of the other machines share.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Dark Id posted:

A YoRHa squadron swoops in with an assist. By the way, we briefly met 4B before. She ate it immediately during the prologue mission to the Abandoned Factory Zone. If you ever wondered why 2B didn’t seem to give a poo poo about any of them dying, that’s because everyone (but the deserter 11B of course) just got restored to back-up units upon death. Good to see 4B is doing alright after that mission.

If 4B could be brought back like that, why wasn't the deserter brought back? They didn't know she deserted. They thought she died. They should have just loaded her back-up, right?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

some guy on the bus posted:

If 4B could be brought back like that, why wasn't the deserter brought back? They didn't know she deserted. They thought she died. They should have just loaded her back-up, right?

She cut herself off from the network in order to escape.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I guess disconnecting from the network is a one way road and once you do it, there's no turning back.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

She cut herself off from the network in order to escape.

Why does their Earth body need to be connected to the network? At the beginning, when 2B and 9S blew themselves up, there wasn't anything left after the explosion to connect to the network. So they just started over, correct?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
At the start of all of this, 9S said that he was backing their current selves up to the network before detonating.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

InfinityComplex posted:

At the start of all of this, 9S said that he was backing their current selves up to the network before detonating.

He only managed to backup 2B, he was restored from a pre-mission backup. Which still leaves the 'Why didn't they just restore the deserter from a pre-mission backup as well?' question open.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

InfinityComplex posted:

And 9S didn't finish for himself so he had to start over from the point of before he went to Earth.

I don't see why wouldn't 11B also be started over from that point.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Eopia posted:

He only managed to backup 2B, he was restored from a pre-mission backup. Which still leaves the 'Why didn't they just restore the deserter from a pre-mission backup as well?' question open.

They might have. She might be miles away doing another mission not remembering that she ever planned to desert.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

some guy on the bus posted:

Why does their Earth body need to be connected to the network? At the beginning, when 2B and 9S blew themselves up, there wasn't anything left after the explosion to connect to the network. So they just started over, correct?

My guess is that purposefully disconnecting from the network doesn't set off whatever dead man's switch exists for the network to automatically create a new body at the space station.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Or they don't restore a backup until death is 100% confirmed, to prevent "clones" running in to each other.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Or, well, she went AWOL once, whats to say she wouldn't again at the first opportunity? Why waste the resources on a flight risk?

Given what little we've seen of command's decisions on 'problem' androids up to this point, that's probably not too farfetched.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Eopia posted:

I'd assume that she might well be somewhere else. I mean, 4B is evidently assigned to a different base altogether, even though she was previously flying alongside 2B.

Continuity of personhood is weird with YoRHa androids, especially seeing as literally any time 2B and 9S fast travel they're having the Transporter Problem. But the androids do seem to have some continuity of self - 9S doesn't remember dying in the prologue but he's seemingly basically the same dude and is treated as such by 2B, not an identical clone.

Mind, every YoRHa android apparently has the material cost of the equivalent of a fighter jet, so bodies aren't cheap.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 8, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
I get the impression that unless you're VERY careful, backups get replaced by 6Os Eleventy Googleplexbytes pictures of cats.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Maybe 6O only replaces some of their memories with cats, making their memories a lot fuzzier

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Maybe 6O only replaces some of their memories with cats, making their memories a lot fuzzier

Talk about fuzzy logic.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LI: Colossus

New Music: Grün Dark Colossus [KAIJU]
(Go listen to this.)

Right, then. Where were we...? Oh... That’s right. Grün stood-up and revealed himself to be a slightly larger boy than first thought to be. Also Pascal decided to go check up on what the ruckus was in the ocean and lend a hand. Being that he’s a pacifist and all, Pascal won’t be actually joining in this fight. Which is unfortunate considering he was about to single-handedly cliff-hanger grab a 30 ton mecha-jet. But the nice robot uncle will still hang out and provide some backstory on Grün while we continue the fight.

It was designed to help annihilate the androids, but it wound up going out of control. I was part of the machines’ network when it happened, so I remember it. The moment it reached land, it went berserk and began attacking everything in sight. No one could figure out how to stop it. We eventually marooned it deep in the ocean, but it seems to be searching for a way back.
Huh.

For the time being Grün is still busy getting his sea legs and ignores us. It serves as little more than a backdrop for trashing more Flyer units. Eventually, 9S chimes in with a suggestion on how to take down this thing before it makes it to shore and EMP blasts the city. That would be a touch problematic for both sides of the war...

I think I have another idea! You keep that thing right where it is, okay!?
What!?
Please, 2B! This is gonna work!

And with that 9S is out! This had better be good. There’s a lot of Flyer units that don’t seem to mind too much about EMP or the rampaging doombot in the background. Pod 042 has some issue with 9S’s plan. Or lack thereof one with a proper explanation attached.

Proposal: 9S should be reported to Command as a deserter.
No! He has a plan. Just hold on.

Pod 042 takes mission boundaries very serious during combat operations. Anyway, while 9S is off doing... whatever, we’ll just busy ourselves blasting more fliers. By the way, Pascal is with us the entire time. Can YOU spot him in this clusterfuck? As I know I’ve wasted time firing in his direction more than a few times because he’s near indistinguishable from enemy fliers when things get really hectic. Sheesh, Pascal. Couldn’t you like paint yourself green or wear a flashy hat? I know you machines can wear hats. That prick Jean-Paul proved that much...

A minute of blasting endless waves of machines later...

I’m going to see if we can use those missiles back on the shore. But I need you to destroy the EMP unit on that thing’s back. Otherwise they’re just going to go off course.
On it.

2B’s flight unit will adjust its auto-scrolling path to the appropriate destination, where we find another one of these EMP generators on Grün’s butt, for a lack of a better term. Upper spine, maybe? I don’t know of this thing has a functional buttocks...

This battle is no different from the previous EMP generator. I mean why would you install different configurations of a weapon on the same giant robot? That just seems fiscally irresponsible. The only slight alteration in tactics from destroying EMP generator #2 is the camera angle gets somewhat goofy and since the shmup sections have no z-axis, we can only hit the generator’s weak points at arbitrary spots. That is, unless we use the Missile Pod C. In which case it can lock-on while the glowing yellow weak points are out of bounds and proceed to do barely any damage worth mentioning because the missiles are slower than hell.

Grün takes issue with 2B’s abuse of his rear end and swats her away with one of its goofy tentacle arms. This doesn’t actually do any damage. It’s just an excuse to knock her back so more Flyers can take turns plinking away at the android.

After quite a bit of fighting, 2B manages to make her way to the back of Grün again for another round against an EMP generator. Pay no mind to those active ones lower on its back. Everyone knows the EMP devices on the head and butt are by far the most potent.

Again, this fight is exactly the same as the other two EMP units we’d taken down. Only at an even odder camera angle. However, the destroying of this EMP generator has a different result...

...Hey 9S. Buddy... Partner... Did you... didja launch the missile without telling us, pal? Cuz that timer looks like it says five seconds. You do know that 2B and Pascal are like right next to this thing still...

9S... You uhh... you there, bud? Aww fffff—

Alright. Nice job, 9S. You blew up the giant robot with the missile. But also...

*gasp*
!?

Music: ENDS

...Is that good? That’s probably not good. 9S, I’m gonna be very cross if you killed Pascal and 2B like a dingus because you forgot to warn them about the missile being launched.

The Operators follow the Commander’s orders and begin furiously typing into Google for possible leads on 9S and 2B’s status.

In any case, that concludes Chapter 07: Lost Child of NieR: Automata. Tune in next time for some old faces and some strange places in Chapter 08: Copied. Expect a large upward tick in things getting weird shortly...

Video: Episode 51 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this. As soon as Youtube finally finishes processing it...)

Flight Unit Concept Art – Reminder that Pascal had no problem grabbing one of these flying through the air. He’s a very strong robot uncle.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 12, 2017

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Clearly the androids need to get to work on their own giant robots to fight the giant machines.
Basically, if this gets a sequel I expect it to have gone full Pacific Rim.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
half expected that to be another bad ending for the game

and the music is great as always, and even has an appropriate name

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Going to be honest, a bit underwhelmed with that battle. A bunch of trash mobs and a couple seemingly pretty boring and repetitive mini bosses, and you barely interacted with the actual boss monster. I think it could have been better framed: buzzing the head to distract it while 9S gets the missiles rigged and it swings at you constantly, maybe.

Decent on the WTF scale, though. How does it feel to actually play through it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It feels like 'JESUS CHRIST JUST DIE ALREADY'

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Karia posted:

Going to be honest, a bit underwhelmed with that battle. A bunch of trash mobs and a couple seemingly pretty boring and repetitive mini bosses, and you barely interacted with the actual boss monster. I think it could have been better framed: buzzing the head to distract it while 9S gets the missiles rigged and it swings at you constantly, maybe.

It works a lot better when you're playing, yeah. It really gets across the sense of scale, Grun is so huge that you'd never be able to harm it on your own. It could easy smash even an Engels to pieces. And the sequence is REALLY long, everything after launching from the flooded city is really one big setpiece. It does a good job of getting the feeling of a desperate battle, it's one crazy thing after another and you're trying to survive.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 10, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Storywise this whole parts feels a lot like the battle against the giant shade at the end of Nier's first act, and from watching the videos it seems like it's more than a little reminiscent of the battle against Four's wyvern-dick suspended castle. It's nice to see those ideas working well together.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Storywise this whole parts feels a lot like the battle against the giant shade at the end of Nier's first act, and from watching the videos it seems like it's more than a little reminiscent of the battle against Four's wyvern-dick suspended castle. It's nice to see those ideas working well together.

Yes, it is indeed reminiscent of the battle against that giant shade. And the music from the battle against that shade was The Dark Colossus Destroys All, which may seem a bit familiar if you listen to the music for this update.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Commander wait! You forgot Pascal! :ohdear:

That monster looks cool as poo poo when it explodes, I can understand why 9S was impatient. I was expecting 'let's kill the monster with our nuclear exploding hearts' to be a thing in this battle though, or at least a suggestion. It seems like it's been awhile since the game has referenced those.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

So I've been waiting until this scene to post this. Mainly because of the commander's dialogue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why, what's it say?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Dialogue in the update, not in the picture itself.

Lamp Stack
Jan 14, 2011
Just noticed that the aliens look a lot like phase 2 of the Jack of Hearts. It could be a plot point, or more likely Yoko Taro just has a thing for dick shaped enemies.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Lamp Stack posted:

Just noticed that the aliens look a lot like phase 2 of the Jack of Hearts. It could be a plot point, or more likely Yoko Taro just has a thing for dick shaped enemies.

Its been mentioned numerous times ITT that that's just the generic japanese alien look.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Karia posted:

Synthbuttrange posted:

It feels like 'JESUS CHRIST JUST DIE ALREADY'

Effectively this, although your level of exasperation with it may vary based on your enjoyment of dual stick shooters. The screenshots don't do justice to just how loving long this section is, from the point where you get into the wingsuits to the point where you get back to the hack-and-slash combat. It wouldn't be so bad if the DSS aspect were more fleshed out in itself (like "temporary powerups dropping from bots"* or "more complex gameplay than 'increasingly larger waves of flying boys spitting orbs'", but it really feels like a minigame that was stretched out way, way too long.

*There are chips you can plug in that have varying levels of power increases for the DSS sections, but since the pause screen during those sections is an overlay of "Game Paused" instead of your normal menu screen, you have to know it's coming and set it up before the combat starts, and the benefits are primarily passive/defensive so it doesn't make a lot of difference to how long you're spending in the section anyways.

In hindsight, I should be glad that they didn't do what I was half-expecting from the opening sections-- that the game was going to be divided into areas only reachable via wingsuit, and moving from point A to point B would involve "call down a wingsuit pickup, get in, and have to play through a DSS section to get to where you're going"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 10, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It didnt help that I was all "I'll just do this mission before bed" :haw:

Zoe posted:

That monster looks cool as poo poo when it explodes, I can understand why 9S was impatient. I was expecting 'let's kill the monster with our nuclear exploding hearts' to be a thing in this battle though, or at least a suggestion. It seems like it's been awhile since the game has referenced those.

That feature is never referenced ever again. :v:

edit: wait no I'm an idiot, forget I said anything.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It didnt help that I was all "I'll just do this mission before bed" :haw:

That feature is never referenced ever again. :v:

Good ol' Yoko Taro. He's consistent in his inconsistency.

• Locked thread