Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Wonder what he thinks about botw

If I recall he was interviewed around the same time the release date for the Switch was released (with it being very close to the Japanese release date for Automata), which went something like

Interviewer: "What were your first thoughts on the switch"
Yoko Taro: "I realized that it and the new Zelda release within a few weeks of Nier: Automata, and I am now dead."
Interviewer: "Are there any features of the Switch which excite you?"
Yoko Taro: "I do not know, because I am dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Tarezax posted:

Pretty sure you get enough of them for everything that requires them from certain side quests.

And if you mistakenly sold any... you're hosed. No enemies drop it, it's just an exceedingly rare environmental drop.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I had sold them and finally gathered enough of them before I discovered that Yoko Taro doesn't lie about consequences.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Please don't judge my friends Devola and Popola by the actions of their Windows Vista counterparts!!!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/885315402183589890

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Someone buy that man an SA forums account!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Someone buy that man an SA forums account!
I genuinely think that if he was introduced to TDI's LPs (if he hasn't already been at some point) he might just show up and start posting in shoddy English. He just seems like that kind of guy.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I genuinely think that if he was introduced to TDI's LPs (if he hasn't already been at some point) he might just show up and start posting in shoddy English. He just seems like that kind of guy.

If I recall correctly, not only did he see TDI's LP, but he actually sent him gifts for it as thanks.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I believe TDI drunkenly messaged Yoko Taro about his Nier LP and how he's getting more people to buy the game, and then Yoko Taro (probably also drunk off his rear end) sent a thank you with a bunch of Nier merch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

U-DO Burger posted:

I believe TDI drunkenly messaged Yoko Taro about his Nier LP and how he's getting more people to buy the game, and then Yoko Taro (probably also drunk off his rear end) sent a thank you with a bunch of Nier merch

This is now canon and can not be disputed except by Yoko Taro or TDI. :colbert:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

iospace posted:

This is now canon and can not be disputed except by Yoko Taro or TDI. :colbert:

No, really That too.

I seem to recall similar messages about the drakengard LPs. He's a really chill dude.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LIII: Missing in Action

Music: City Ruins (Shade - Dynamic)

We find ourselves in the 100 yard span of land designated as the Flooded City. This will be the last time we’ll be here for a main plot relevant purpose before we hit NieR: Automata’s first ending.

Now that we have the Dynamic Scanner, we can use Pod 042 to track down 9S. Or... you know, any other heavily injured YoRHa android in the area. I suppose we can be a team player and help them out as well. You hanging in there, bud...?

You got hit by an EMP blast.
I... I don’t remember anything...
Don’t worry. I sent out a rescue signal to the Bunker.
We are currently searching for a missing YoRHa unit, designation 9S. Should you possess any information on the subject, please disclose it at once.
I’m sorry... I... I don’t know anything.
That’s okay. Just stay here and rest.
W-who am I...?

Well, that was a bust. However, the Scanner has picked up another signal close by on the other end of this platform. Two signals, actually. One belongs to another damaged YoRHa android. However, much more pressingly is a hidden item pick-up.

Oh poo poo, son! I cannot believe Caim lost this thing again. That murder machine idiot!

Iron Will, also occasionally called Dragonslayer Hymir’s Finger is a weapon that appeared in the very first Drakengard and has returned for every entry in the series. Even the barely canon of the garbage timeline that is Drakengard 2. In NieR: Automata, it gains several Endurance Up bonuses with upgrades. At maximum level it gains Steel Spine, which basically gives 2B extreme amounts of poise to swinging Iron Will, undeterred by any damage from enemies interrupting her attacks.

Iron Will posted:

The sword's blade, dulled by years of idleness, was—as its
name implied—a mere iron hunk. Its blood-drenched youth
was little more than a series of rusted memories which grated against
its pockmarked steel.

Who could wield this hunk of iron now that its edge was gone?
Who might love it when all it could do was bash dully against a
foe instead of cutting through flesh and bone? Who would
devote themselves to such insanity?

The sword sighed softly, pleased to finally be at rest, But before
it could peacefully crumble into dust, a group of power-hungry
fools took it up and denied its reverie anew.

Red rust was the weapon's tears. The blood, fat, and muscle it
tore through was proof of its curse. Now let it hew bone once
more! Let it ravage flesh! Let it do all this and more as
atonement for its sins!
Yep. That sounds like Iron Will alright. Unfortunately, as that weapon history has implied... Iron Will has been out of commission for a while. Caim has been dead for over 10,000 years and Papa Nier got wiped out of existence millennia ago as well. It hasn’t been getting its murder on all this time. There’s not a lot of people to kill in the afterlife, as it turns out. As a result...

The poor thing has tragically rusted into complete poo poo. Even if we upgraded it to Level 4, not even the sage blacksmith Masamune can do anything for the old boy. This is it. This is Iron Will now. A rusted hunk of dull iron. This might be the most tragic thing in all of NieR: Automata. :smith:

I suppose we don’t have time to lament a once proud murder instrument’s decay. We should probably check on that dying android it was rusting next to and perhaps find that bozo 9S.

Don’t worry, I’m—
N-no... Get away from me! I don’t like the look of you!
Proposal: remove fear functionality.
No! Stay away! I hate you! I... hate...
Sorry to startle you. Just stay here and wait for help.
Urrrgh...
So... scared...

Well, that didn’t help any. I suppose maybe we ought to have started in the portion of the Flooded City with the main objective hotspot marker. But first, let’s swing back around behind the western most part of the region. We kinda avoided this earlier so as not to trigger the next story beat until necessary. But now that the Grün business has been sorted out, we can explore back behind here to find...

There is absolutely NOTHING of value here! So don’t let it distract you and run along now! Hmmm... but I can’t just send you off empty-handed, now can I? I’d love to give you a souvenir of some kind, but I have nothing on me right now. What to do, what to do...?
I know! I shall self-destruction for your convenience! This will result in a rain of useful materials. They are yours to keep! Ah yes, fortune smiles upon you today! Once you’ve collected my gifts, please forget everything you saw here. That’s a promise, you hear? Goodbye!

Machine Lifeforms are strange creatures. Anyhow, another inaccessible elevator is located back here. It’s a DLC hook we’ll be exploring at a much later date.

For now, let’s return to our investigation into finding the missing 9S. There’s one final injured YoRHa member slumped against a bus at the end of this area. This is actually the only YoRHa android we need to investigate to progress the mission. Let’s see what her deal is...

Pod, employ a check module and a logic-virus vaccine.
Nnngh...
Easy. I’ve contacted the Bunker. They should be here soon.
Th-thank you...
We are currently searching for a missing YoRHa unit, designation 9S. Should you possess any information on the subject, please disclose it at once.
Please. Anything will help.
9S... That’s that kid who was with you, right? I saw him, all right. That explosion sent him flying...
Which direction?
Hard to say... I’ll take my best guess at a landing spot and transfer the data to you.
Thank you. You should stay here until the rescue team arrives.
Target location data obtained. Marking on map.
Nnngh...

Alright, where do we have, Pod? Ergh... That’s not really helpful... This world map isn’t great. Hmph. Let’s try shifting it a bit to see if we can get a better bearing.

Oh... huh... That’s the City Ruins sinkhole. Like in the mines leading to the Alien Mothership where we last saw Adam and Eve ages ago. That... is a long and very specific area to get flung. That cannot be good...

Alright, then. Next stop: The City Ruins sinkhole and hopefully 9S semi-intact. It won’t be the same to yell at an earlier back-up copy of 9S if we need to get a new one. He technically would have had nothing to do with ramming a missile into a giant robot’s mouth right next to 2B. That’s the trouble with constructing back-up androids if the old one dies. You cannot even yell at them for their gently caress-ups! It’s a huge morale hit...

Alert: Faint black box signal detected. The transmission seems to be coming from an underground cave network.

Music: Widespread Illness (Quiet)

The same machines from our first visit to these caverns are still hanging out. They’re stuck to Level 10-15 so 2B can just look at them funny and they’ll just self-detonate at this point. However, there are some new additions to the caves this go around...

Just a few bound and flayed android corpses decorating the path. No big deal. Maybe Simone over in the Amusement Park had some spares left over and the machine lifeforms just wanted to spruce up the drab mines. It’s probably fine!

No black box signals detected.

If we attempt to head towards the buried alien spaceship, Pod 042 will inform us we’re going the wrong way. Nope. 9S isn’t there. That alien ship is never relevant or necessary to visit ever again. Forget about the aliens. They were just set dressing.

Remember our first trip through these mines we found an alternate path leading to a locked elevator that I told you to remember for later. Guess what? It’s later...

Alert: Possible enemy ambush ahead.
Don’t care.

We’ve come this far. We’re not heading back. We’re gonna scold 9S for nearly blowing us up, dammit! :argh:

Music: ENDS

The elevator starts heading down. Far. Like really far... It’s a good 20 second descent and seems like it’s moving a decent clip. And at the bottom floor we find...

Urgh...? Pod, is 2B’s eyes malfunctioning and she can no longer see colors? No... that doesn’t make sense. You and the elevator are still in color. Then what is...?

Ergh...? Come again...?

...What the gently caress?

Video: Episode 53 Highlight Reel

Flooded City Concept Art – Pretty sure this solitary stretch of highway is three times larger than the landmass of the final game.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 13, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

...What the gently caress?

:suspense:
Is this the beginning of the madness?
Because it feels like the beginning of the madness and I can't wait to discover what comes next.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Nah, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all of this.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

The Dark Id posted:

Pod, employ a check module and a logic-virus vaccine.

So, what IS a logic virus, anyway? I'm pretty sure 2B mentioned something about it in the prologue, when 9S was bleeding out like a chump.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TkgNEYtwVU

I played this on loop during the Emil's Mansion chapters in NIER. My favorite "What the gently caress is going on" music.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Nah, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all of this.

There's a perfectly something explanation for this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

So, what IS a logic virus, anyway? I'm pretty sure 2B mentioned something about it in the prologue, when 9S was bleeding out like a chump.

The logic virus will be given more attention as the story develops.

Edit: Not sure if the last part counted as spoilers but just in case I am deleting it.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 13, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dude, spoilers.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rainuwastaken posted:

It basically turns androids into bitcoin miners.

All instant transactions and no fees and poo poo like that

All sense of logic is gone.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

exploded mummy posted:

It basically turns androids into bitcoin miners.

All instant transactions and no fees and poo poo like that

All sense of logic is gone.

Fedoras just grow right out of the top of their heads. It's unspeakable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omobono posted:

:suspense:
Is this the beginning of the madness?
Because it feels like the beginning of the madness and I can't wait to discover what comes next.

The Watchers dance. Come dance with them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That defector had a side story getting infected with a logic virus earlier in the thread

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I must binge thread to catch up.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bruceski posted:

The Watchers dance. Come dance with them.

Lalala.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Uh oh. Is this gonna be a monochrome that crushes like a mace?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It could be a rhythm game that sneaks up on you.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
It's called the copied city. Clearly somebody 3D-Printed part of the original city, and then stuck it deep underground and forgot to paint it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Yay, Copied City!

This place has my favorite music in the whole game. There are a lot of strong contenders - Amusement park, Birth of a Wish, a Beautiful Song, and a lot of others that we have or haven't heard yet - but Copied City is my preferred one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

It's called the copied city. Clearly somebody 3D-Printed part of the original city, and then stuck it deep underground and forgot to paint it.

Until it's painted the city is not valid for league play.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well, this should be interesting. Usually white, blank, semi block-y cityscapes are computer simulations. If this isn't one, I've got this odd mental image of a giant 3-d printer.

The Dark Id posted:

That’s a promise, you here?

2B can just look at them funny and they’re explode at this point

Since the self-destring gate guard machine wasn't in the vid, I don't know if that first bit is a typo or the in-game speech.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I wondered where the portal gun was when I got here.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
aw yeah, time for my personal favourite area music

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Hymir's Finger, noooooooo. :(

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

End of the last update:

what the gently caress man :stare:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
This area is awesome and has a chance to drop one of the best chips in the game off of one of the pickup spots.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Iron Will may be rusted over but that sure didn't stop me from having 2B use it at every possible moment

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Picayune posted:

Hymir's Finger, noooooooo. :(

It's still the weapon with the highest base damage in the game, for whatever that's worth.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

YOTC posted:

This area is awesome and has a chance to drop one of the best chips in the game off of one of the pickup spots.

Resilience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I found a picture of the next weapon 2B is gonna pick up.

• Locked thread