Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LV: Round 3

Music: End of the Unknown (Dynamic)

Time for the real bout between YoRHa No. 2 Type B and Adam “Human Tie Installation Records Incomplete” Manbot.

At no point in history has there been a warning for a dude named Adam. C’mon. No Adam has ever ascended higher than upper level mid-boss. The original one got bamboozled by a snake telling his girlfriend to be a dumbass and they haven’t gotten better since then. This one is no different.

Adam retains all abilities from the previous round. Not any of the Cubemancy, mind you. He needs to renew his subscription to the Machine Network ($9.99 a month or $24.99 for three months!) to regain access to those abilities and that doesn’t fall in line with his newfound lust for blood sports.

A handful of new abilities have been added to the mix, as well as a few he was leaving out from previous tournament matches against him. Most of them involve utilizing his crazy energy wisps. For instance...

Adam now has a grab attack which he’ll use to pull 2B over to his position. She’s stunned briefly after being dragged over and Adam will waste no time to either energy pimp-slap our android or axe kick her in the face. Whatever suits his fancy. The grab isn’t too difficult to avoid since he has a long wind-up animation where he swings back and charges both arms with... they don’t really explain what’s up with the energy powers. His brother doesn’t really do that kind of stuff, besides putting Tekken-esque electricity flourishes on moves and teleporting.

Speaking of charged fighting game moves, many of Adam’s physical attacks now have powered up versions in this round. That’s just a straight up a Metsu Shoryuken right there, I’ll tell you what.

The downside to most of Adam’s flashy new versions of moves is that he is INCREDIBLY open to punishment if he whiffs them and has massive potential to do so since they take longer to perform. It’s a really complicated input, you see. None of the machine lifeforms can play charge characters worth a poo poo.

The energy geysers from the final phase of the original No-Wang Angel battle against Adam make their return. They’re functionally identical to the initial fight, just with a damage boost obviously. I’m pretty sure 2B could face tank the entirety of Level 5-8 Adam’s move set at this point in the game with zero damage done to her.

Finally, Adam does possess a flashy super combo 2B can get caught in. He seems incredibly happy to land it since he laughs his rear end off while kicking the poo poo out of 2B. Well at least he’s having some fun.

In any case, that’s about it for Adam’s new attack abilities. As far as fighting him goes? Err... You dodge his attacks and hit him a bunch. Same tactics as before... Break his parry shield a bunch, dodge the counter, punish. Or just dodge his physical attacks and punish ‘em. NieR: Automata’s combat is not very deep. Do not go into this game expecting a Bayonetta or even a Metal Gear Rising. You’ll be gravely disappointed. That aside... Adam is disconnected from the network and wanted a death match. Sooo...

Music: ENDS

Aaaargh!

*general unpleasant grunts from being stabbed in the gut with a four foot long sword*

Hey creeper... Learn...

...some PERSONAL SPACE!

BARF!
*dies*

And that is all for Adam the Machineman. He wasn’t lying about cutting himself off from the network and perma-death being enabled. Adam is fuckin’ dead! Full stop. In the end... did he ever grow a dick? We’ll never know. We’ll never know...

Well enough about that dead nerd. We should probably get back to attending to that impaled only semi-dead nerd. The one we like tolerate were assigned to...

Oh good... He managed to get himself down somehow. Well, that moves things along nicely. So 9S... Buddy, pal...

9S what the HELL was that about with the five second warning before that missile hit that giant machine? Huh? You nearly blew me up! You DID blow me up! I got launched all the way back to the shore and lost consciousness for EIGHT HOURS, 9S! Do you know how bad it is to be offline for EIGHT HOURS?! A machine could have just wandered on up and killed me at any point... Plus I lost *another* Flight Unit and I’m guessing, giving you’re hanging out here with that creepy weirdo machine, you lost yours too. Good work, 9S. Great! The Commander is going to be thrilled with us about that one... Those things cost the same as TEN YoRHa androids, 9S. Ten! 6O told me after the last set we lost and the Commander was pissed...
*twitch*
Five seconds. Really? No verbal warning? No... ‘Heads up, 2B! Missile launched!’ You just throw up a five second general alert timer on the network HUD and that’s it? I know how missiles work. They take a while to arm. You had time to give a fair warning... But no. Don’t want to ruin 9S’s missile surprise! I told Pod not to report you for desertion because I believed you had it handled. Maybe that was a bad call...
*groan*
You know I just remembered I have no idea what happened to that Pascal machine after the missile hit. I haven’t seen him since then. That machine could be dead for all I know. So next time you’re at the machine’s village, feel free to explain to that one machine with the pink bow where children come from and why you murdered her Uncle Pascal with a missile strike...
Ugh. 2...?

And another thing... that whole “Nines” nickname? Stop trying to push that! I know nobody calls you Nines. All your friends call you that? What friend, 9S? WHAT FRIENDS? I’m the only person you EVER hang out with and that’s just because we’re assigned together. I was messing with my plug-in chip configuration for a good 20 minutes the other day in the middle of the Resistance Camp and you didn’t even attempt to make the first bit of small talk with any of the Resistance androids. Not a one! I finished and you were just standing exactly where I left you leering at my butt. And don’t think I don’t know you’re staring there. I KNOW!
B-Bee...? *spits up blood*
I have NEVER heard you talk to anyone else! None of these people that supposedly call you “Nines.” Not even your Operator. Do you even HAVE an Operator, 9S? Operator 6O just sent me ANOTHER email full of cat pictures. I don’t even KNOW what a cat is! Was it something humans ate? I have no idea. But she keeps sending me pictures of them and I keep accepting because she’s my friend. I have those and nobody has given me a stupid fake nickname, Nine-S.
Ugh...

You know what, 9S? Maybe one of your pals that call you Nines will come and help you out. Maybe you haven’t nearly blown THEM up with a missile... Good luck with that...

Idiot.

Video: Adam Boss Battle and Aftermath
(You should watch this.)

Adam Official Art – Dude just has ZERO idea how to work a tie or belt. That’s why he’s wearing loafers.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So...that happened. I'm sure 9S will have more to say when he gets up to explain what the gently caress, though.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Being connected to the Network: bring yourself back from death! (side effects may include birthing a clone of yourself, apparently)

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 16, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I haven't seen that satisfying of a "gently caress you I'm out" ending since Catwoman in Arkham City.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Why?! Why was I programmed to feel pain?! BARF

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
These endings keep surprising me

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hahaha that might be the best non-standard ending so far in the game.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Abandoning the guy you came to save? Real Dick Move there 2B.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

: MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA

Seriously, I see rapid-fire kicks, and my mind either goes DIO's Za Warudo or Chun-Li.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

axeil posted:

Hahaha that might be the best non-standard ending so far in the game.

There's still time for others to top this but it's still amazing.
The drawback of this ending is that you have to watch the cutscenes and do the fight with Adam (RIP) again, unless 2B rigged Adam's corpse as a save station.

Speculation, the machine network feels similar to what the androids use to back themselves up. Same base tech being used in similar but slightly different implementations (as in, humanity or the aliens swiped the idea from the other guys)?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That ending took me by surprise, nice job :clap:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Saw the hype. Played a half hour, died. Was forced to restart from the beginning. Played another half hour, died, and again was forced to restart from the beginning. Fun times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Saw the hype. Played a half hour, died. Was forced to restart from the beginning. Played another half hour, died, and again was forced to restart from the beginning. Fun times.

Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Little Kielbasa posted:

This cannot continue.

Strange Forest
Mar 4, 2015
The joke endings continue to be pretty good

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I wonder if anyone ever got that ending on their own.

I enjoyed 2B's rant there that I of course heard in her voice.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The craziest thing about Adam is that he thought he needed to provoke Toobs into killing him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SpookyLizard posted:

Get out you goddamn social justice wyvern

Wait don't tell me-you think Drakengard 3 is about Ethics in Weapon Story Writing :jerkbag:

EDIT: Oh hey, new update, and new ending.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 17, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dzhay posted:

The craziest thing about Adam is that he thought he needed to provoke Toobs into killing him.

Well, he has to if he wants any enthusiasm for the whole mess.

You don't want your final battle to go

:geno: "I guess I'm supposed to kill you."

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Is Id speeding up the fake ending credits, or is it :yokotaro:? Because this is a lot like Drakengard 3 where it's really hard to say for sure.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
When you get a joke ending the credits really do scroll by that fast, complete with VHS fastforward sound.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly, I'm not surprised that walking away from 9S leads to one of joke endings. It's the perfect setup for Yoko Taro to take advantage of and troll people.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

This is the canonical ending. 2b is sick of your poo poo.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GuavaMoment posted:

Is Id speeding up the fake ending credits, or is it :yokotaro:? Because this is a lot like Drakengard 3 where it's really hard to say for sure.

Nope, they're just that fast.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait don't tell me-you think Drakengard 3 is about Ethics in Weapon Story Writing :jerkbag:

EDIT: Oh hey, new update, and new ending.

It is. You can't get distracted by people making GBS threads up the discussion just because they see it as an opportunity to poo poo on the Intoners like a bunch of pigeons.

nonderail: When I finally got to this fight I had just finished grinding a whole bunch to get some upgrade materials, and I was massively overleveled and Adam went down like a loving chump. I love the cube city though. I really love this fake ending too, because there's so many games where you could potentially gently caress off from the objective in a similar situation and it would act like you hadn't hosed off. It's genius.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

This is the canonical ending. 2b is sick of your poo poo.

And no one from the bunker bothered looking for him either. :haw:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

SpookyLizard posted:

It is. You can't get distracted by people making GBS threads up the discussion just because they see it as an opportunity to poo poo on the Intoners like a bunch of pigeons.

nonderail: When I finally got to this fight I had just finished grinding a whole bunch to get some upgrade materials, and I was massively overleveled and Adam went down like a loving chump. I love the cube city though. I really love this fake ending too, because there's so many games where you could potentially gently caress off from the objective in a similar situation and it would act like you hadn't hosed off. It's genius.

Or put up an invisible wall on the exit until you talk to 9S

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Dzhay posted:

He'd just do it for fun

Found the thing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

That’s just a straight up a Metsu Shoryuken right there, I’ll tell you what.

You can delete either one.

Omobono posted:

Speculation, the machine network feels similar to what the androids use to back themselves up. Same base tech being used in similar but slightly different implementations (as in, humanity or the aliens swiped the idea from the other guys)?

After 14 wars there's probably been a lot of theft and copying. The machine network seems to be constantly on, while the android is a lot spottier. That might just be from a lack of coverage though.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
Androids are on T-Mobile and the Machines took over SoftBank.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The way the faces are animated in this game is slightly disconcerting, and Adam's goofy-rear end expression is just plain ridiculous. It's as if the game is telling you, "This guy is a creepy chump, stomp a mudehole in his rear end and walk it dry."

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks, Id, for incorporating that ending as part of thread canon. :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Some of the joke endings are really great, which is pretty impressive for two lines on a blank background.

e: also all of the "2B hosed off forever" endings rule except I had to look them up because I was very much in the habit of getting crises out of the way before wandering about

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 17, 2017

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

At no point in history has there been a warning for a dude named Adam. C’mon. No Adam has ever ascended higher than upper level mid-boss. The original one got bamboozled by a snake telling his girlfriend to be a dumbass and they haven’t gotten better since then. This one is no different.
For unimpressive sounding boss names, this one is right up there with RE6's Mutated Darek

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I like 9S. :colbert:

e: vvv don't make me send you back to the fracture zone

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 17, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

9S account spotted.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I honestly don't get all the hatred of 9S :confused:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

9S is good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like 9S and all but it's also fun to relentlessly dunk on him for being a dork garbage boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ukokira
Apr 29, 2017

some guy on the bus posted:

I wonder if anyone ever got that ending on their own.

I enjoyed 2B's rant there that I of course heard in her voice.

It was the first non standard ending I got. I saw an item in the distance and ran over to grab it since getting 9S seemed like a very fast way out of there and not get that item.

Cue having to do the Adam fight all over again.

• Locked thread