Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I actually assume Adam's intel on YorHa wasn't that great and he just scooped up a bunch of near dead androids to bait somebody into coming by for a Manly Duel in a Manly Manner. Just that we only care about 9S, so that's what the camera focuses on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Jet Jaguar posted:

So does 9S fall off the rods that are pinning him to the wall, or does he teleport from there to the ground? I expect him to be a bit more banged up, though he clearly can't walk in his current condition.

And do they ever hint where all the other YoRHa androids come from in the Copied City? It seems really crowded for being at the bottom of an inaccessible elevator.

The pod says that it's unlikely any of them came there on their own, so the machines (just Adam?) dragged them down there. Also my assumption was that the rods holding 9S up collapsed, just like the blocks uh, blocking the entrance did.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

So the actual final boss is Eve, who realizes that loss is the essential element of humanity and shares it with everyone?
Depends on your definition of "actual final boss."

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Glazius posted:

So the actual final boss is Eve, who realizes that loss is the essential element of humanity and shares it with everyone?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Frionnel posted:

Fair, but i consider being actually programmed a step up from that.

I mean, that's the impression i got, that he was slowly re-assessing his personal opinions. Or at least having the decency to stay quiet about them. Id actually pointed out the weird disconnect where he seems to regress when we go back to the main plot.

He pretty much drops the whole "they're just parroting old data!" thing immediately after meeting Pascal. If anything, he comes around faster than 2B. It's not like he's egging you on to just slaughter the village through all those sidequests or anything.

You could write 9S to be a lovely machine racist, but he's just not. At a certain point, the fact that the machines and androids are both equally sapient is just taken as a basic assumption. It would be weird to have a character still questioning it when that's not really what the game is about.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

KamikazePotato posted:

You've made a ton of posts trying to get people to hate 9S and it's getting kind of weird. You've played the game, they haven't, let them come to their own conclusions about characters. Saying "I hate 9S for reasons that haven't been covered" creates some expectations.

I like 9S but I think he's a bit of a goof-ball that's easy to make fun of :3:

He also seems much more willing to go down the "are we the baddies" line of thought than 2B is now that he's actually interacted with some machines like Pascal and the villagers.

Plus he correctly called out Adam as being "bonkers"

:stare: Mamma Pajama

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Goddamn, some people are just adamant in never cooperating and doing a dumb bit in an LP, holy poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonklol:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RareAcumen posted:

Goddamn, some people are just adamant in never cooperating and doing a dumb bit in an LP, holy poo poo.

The spergs are running the asylum.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Frionnel posted:

Fair, but i consider being actually programmed a step up from that.

I'd agree, maybe, if there had ever been any indication to this point that androids weren't effectively human in every regard except the physical. Some follow orders, some question orders, some decide the orders shouldn't be followed and defect entirely. If they were just "programmed to be X" then any of them defecting, let alone several, would be unheard of.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Glazius posted:

Sort of. The final boss is actually Eva, as in Evangelion, as in not the eponymous mechas but the entire anime in a ten hour endurance fight.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

In this case, This Cannot Continue refers to Rebuild.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Sort of. The final boss is actually Eva, as in Evangelion, as in not the eponymous mechas but the entire anime in a ten hour endurance fight.

In a shocking twist, 9S has seen it already and keeps nudging 2B about when the "good parts" are coming, asking what she thinks, and dropping production trivia.

It's a real spike in difficulty.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

In a shocking twist, 9S has seen it already and keeps nudging 2B about when the "good parts" are coming, asking what she thinks, and dropping production trivia.

It's a real spike in difficulty.

Last phase of the boss fight is 9S quizzing you about the anime. If you get a question wrong, you have to start over from the beginning. Wrong answers in this case also include opinions that don't line up with 9S's, up to and including your choice of waifu.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
but if you get it right, everyone comes back to life and applauds you! Conratulations! :neckbeard:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Caim coming back to life doesn't sound like a happy ending. :black101:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Geemer posted:

Caim coming back to life doesn't sound like a happy ending. :black101:

It is for him and Red, and they're the only ones that count.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Whether Caim would be happy in Automata depends on how you see his enthusiasm for the murderous arts. Is he a killing auteur, engaging in bold, new conceptual takes on what it means to end a sentient being? Or does he just like being covered in blood and guts as his enemies scream in terror? The former would see this setting as an infinite canvas on which to ply his art. The latter would see it as Hell--infinite enemies to kill but they never bleed or cry, or beg for mercy. Can you imagine how miserable he'd be after the novelty wore off?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Tune in next time as the machines learn expand their horizons by getting deep into theological debates. What's the worst that could go wrong? NieR: Automata continues soon...

Spoilers you jerk! :mad:

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Whether Caim would be happy in Automata depends on how you see his enthusiasm for the murderous arts. Is he a killing auteur, engaging in bold, new conceptual takes on what it means to end a sentient being? Or does he just like being covered in blood and guts as his enemies scream in terror? The former would see this setting as an infinite canvas on which to ply his art. The latter would see it as Hell--infinite enemies to kill but they never bleed or cry, or beg for mercy. Can you imagine how miserable he'd be after the novelty wore off?

Well, if we go by the Drakengard 2 LP, the first one is likelier since he managed to get bored killing Union soldiers who were all terrified. That said, breaking the seed and killing the golems didn't seem to particularly excite him, so maybe he's a mix of the two.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Lot of people ITT who are weirdly protective of the racist little pretty boy :v: People have asked why my hate for him is, and I have answered accordingly; at no point have I said 'and you should hate him for it too'. You're free to draw your own conclusions still.

This is beautiful.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 18, 2017

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

9S is good, strong, and my friend

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

really queer Christmas posted:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

pulsor93 posted:

I always thought this line was stupid. The good man may be willing to listen to reason, and work with you.
The evil man may choose to gloat and smoke WHILE evicerrating you.
If you're a sword fight with a good guy, and he has an opening, he's going to kill you because you're the bad guy. The hero slays the villain, etc. The bad guy will instead capture you, monologue at you, etc because you're the good guy.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Yay! I'm in on the ground 14th floor of a new The Dark Id LP!

Adam's personality continues to be nothing special for a villain, but I love his latest design.

He reminds me of Mishima from Persona 5. It's easy to poke fun at him, and he doesn't seem that loathsome yet.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Adam looks like a coffee shop AU version of Sephiroth

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

apocalypticCritic posted:

I've been listening to a particular song a lot over the last few days. I am ready for the next part.

You should maybe do a youtube search for a (sequential mix) of that song.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Rangpur posted:

To be fair, the enemies have begged for mercy in the past. So it wouldn't be all bad for our favorite psychopath if it were the latter.

Edit: Though it'd also raise the question of if he values the satisfaction of the murder itself vs. being able to say "that fucker is dead."

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 18, 2017

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

This is where the party ends. I can't stand here listening to you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

apocalypticCritic posted:

Last phase of the boss fight is 9S quizzing you about the anime. If you get a question wrong, you have to start over from the beginning. Wrong answers in this case also include opinions that don't line up with 9S's, up to and including your choice of waifu.

People pick someone other than Gendo? Weird.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Lot of people ITT who are weirdly protective of the racist little pretty boy :v: People have asked why my hate for him is, and I have answered accordingly; at no point have I said 'and you should hate him for it too'. You're free to draw your own conclusions still.

You're just mad he says that Mari Makinami Illustrious is "A garbage waifu for garbage people".

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

You're just mad he says that Mari Makinami Illustrious is "A garbage waifu for garbage people".

Who?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LVI: Olive Branch

Music: Peaceful Sleep (Vocal)

But you’re the boss. You want him sent up to Command body and all, I’ll make it happen.
Thanks...
Oh!
What?
Nothing, just... you’ve never been much for gratitude, you know?
Not that I mind or anything. Oh, um. I also have a message for you. Command needs you to contact them ASAP.
Got it.

Alright. So 9S has been stuffed in a cannon and shot back into space to get repaired. That’s how that works, right? Anyway, he will not be joining us for this chapter either. But we do need some new orders, I suppose. That might be a mistake on YoRHa’s part. 2B isn’t great at successfully completing many assignments. But the one time she wandered off on her own initiative, she managed to assassinate one of the leaders of the machines. Maybe just let her do her own thing for a while. I dunno.

2B opens her communicator as soon as she steps away from Anemone.

Oh, hey, 2B. Roger that. Gimme just a second here...

Good job destroying that machine. Upon further analysis, we learn that machine—code named Adam—was responsible for managing half of their entire network. A disruption of this magnitude to their network should weaken the machines significantly.
What’s going to happen to 9S?
He’ll undergo a full data overhaul up here. Assuming we don’t encounter any problems, we’re planning to partner him with you again.
Thank you.
In the meantime, I have another mission for you. I’ve mailed you the briefing. Go ahead and take a look.
Understood.
<disconnects>
Report: Mail notification received from access point.

Alright. Assuming Adam didn’t shove a bomb in 9S’s stomach or up his butt before that whole deathmatch business, 9S will eventually by joining 2B for more adventures in machine murder. But for now, let’s hit up that Access Point and get our next mission.

I’m kinda getting the feeling Adam may have been a wee bit irresponsible getting into blood sports without leaving his Admin rights to a back-up unit. I know the guy was born like a couple months ago. But someone in the machine network ought to have given him a rundown on basic security measures.

Something tells me this is going to involve a lot of killing.
Proposal: Procure information from the machine lifeform known as Pascal.
Hmm. I suppose he might know something.
<opens communicator> Pascal? Can you hear me?

I need to know if you’ve seen any new trends or behaviors among the machines.
New... trends? Hmm... Well, two days ago I was contacted by some machines that disconnected themselves from the network. They wanted to discuss a peace treaty.
No kidding.
Apparently, they’re seeking to form an alliance of some kind with our village.
If that’s what they want, why don’t they move in?
I believe they’re working on building a colony of their own.
You don’t say.
Indeed. Apparently, it’s located in the abandoned factory. I can give you the coordinates if you’d like.
Please.
I was actually planning to go speak with them myself, you know? Maybe we can meet up over there?
Sounds good.
<disconnects>
Target location data obtained. Marking on map.

Remember how the Abandoned Factory had those elevators we couldn’t access and Access Points we couldn’t reach despite being displayed on the map since forever? It’s time we went and sorted that out.

Before we head out, we’re going to do a bit of inventory and equipment management. The game offers no mention of this, but we’re getting close to the end game of Route A. Even if most all sidequests are canceled by this point, we’re still free to wander around the world right now at our leisure. But that changes when we head to the Abandoned Factory. Beginning the events there locks us into the actual end game point of no return since the next series of missions all feed directly into each other.

We’re nowhere near done with NieR (hur) but we will be finishing up the first playthrough sooner than later. Many things will change in the following Route B. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. But one easily overlooked factor is that shops will begin charging way more for goods once we complete the first ending. As such, it’s a good idea to stock up on all the basic healing items while we’ve got a good supply of spending money and it’s all dirt cheap.

Next up, it’s been a while since we’ve gotten a new Pod Program, not counting the gimmicky Scanner. So let’s change that. We’re going to grab R050: Spear this go around. Let’s take a look...

Spear is the YoRHa technology co-opted version of Dark Execution from the original NieR. Which in turn was a spell borrowed from a bad Xbox360 third person shooter made by Cavia called Bullet Witch. The original incarnations of this attack performed with crude magical abilities had spears randomly erupt from the ground to impale nearby enemies (hopefully.) The refined digital version of the ability creates the energy spears in an orderly line indicated by a marker ahead of 2B.

Charging up the Spear Pod Program with additional Pods creates a secondary horizontal line of spears and the third level of charge creates two additional diagonal lines. It’s going to be a bad day for any machines caught in this unless they’ve very thin and standing in a very specific direction. Personally, I found Spear to be not so hot in most standard battles. However, if the game ever shifts to a 2D plane for combat? Spear is OP as hell since it’s a guaranteed hit to all enemies in front or behind 2B unless they’re a ways in the air flying. It’s good stuff.

Last up in or spending spree, this might be the last chance for a while to buy anything from the twins. So let’s grab that other weapon they’re selling to continue our march towards completing the set.

The Type-3 Blade is the Large Sword companion to the Type-3 Sword. Same exact upgrade bonus as the previous weapon: Endurance Up and Finishing Blast at Level 4. It’s also kind of a ho-hum weapon just like its sibling. Maybe its weapon history will liven it up...

Type-3 Blade posted:

The greatsword was known for the intense pain it inflicted upon its
victims. This is what drove the man to carry it despite its
weight, for he knew it would make others fear him, and thus
could he avoid needless conflict.

The man's reputation spread through the village despite never
having drawn the blade. "Don't make him use that horrid
weapon," the villagers whispered. The man smiled at this, for
he knew that fear was the best path to peace.

Soon, the man had craftsmen forge a host of similar weapons.
He gave them to all the other villagers in hope it would
force people to solve conflicts with words instead of violence.
And his plan worked... for a while.

Keeping all sides in check is simple when no one uses their
power. But once that seal is broken, the end is nigh. Thus did
the peaceful village transform itself into a living hell over the
space of a single night.
All I’m saying is that everyone had a gun, then there would be no fear of anyone having a gu--<Is shot in the neck as a violent gun battle immediately erupts over a disagreement of the capability of a sports team.>

Music: ENDS

That concludes our business in the Resistance Camp. Now let’s head over to link up with Pascal at the Abandoned Factory and see what this new colony of machines are LARPing as this time.

Are you ready to go?

Still, you should probably be careful. We machines can be rather... unpredictable.
Even you?
In truth, yes. Now that we’re cut off from the network, we no longer share data with each other. We can speak, of course, but I find that language contains many ways to hide one’s true intentions.
It certainly does.

In case you’re wondering how Pascal made it from the Machine Village to the Abandoned Factory so quick: He has a jetpack butt. It’s very handy but not cost effective. Which is why modern machine lifeforms lack butt-based propulsion methods.

Heading on in... yeah... Yeah, I’m already not digging this vibe...

Music: Wretched Machinery (Quiet)

You enter the domain of God!

...That’s not a great greeting, my dude. Honestly, I’d probably feel more at ease if you just declared “Hail, Satan!” if we’re being real. To progress, we need to speak with the hailer of God. But the other machines in the room have a bit to say. Let’s take a look...

And by His word, all living things are to be considered equal.
His Grace wishes to form a pact of peace with your people.
We, his humble priests, will guide you to him. This way.

...Naw, man. Naw... I ain’t into this. You guys are creepy! Pascal, these dudes are creepy! I ain’t into this, Pascal!

One creepy machine was enough for this week. We ain’t doing this again! No more creepy machines! Why can’t you guys just stop being weird for one day?! NO! gently caress this noise! Hail Satan!

OK... Perhaps that was a wee bit rash...

Video: Episode 56 Highlight Reel

Abandoned Factory Concept Art – Place used to be way more of a chaotic looking mess, huh?

:siren: BONUS VIDEO :siren:

Video: NieR: Automata Battle Animation Station
(Watch this! It took me a while to do!)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 19, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
"These guys seem creepy, let's kill em" "And so it was not possible for peace to be brokered" "oh, I hosed up, didn't I? Whoops."

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
A bunch of machines way into heavy metal going hail satan the moment you meet them would be kind of awesome, honestly.

Also, I expected the image for the video link to be Saddler and I am very disappointed. For shame...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This section is gonna be good :dance:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Dark Id posted:

Which in turn was a spell borrowed from a bad Xbox360 third person shooter made by Cavia called Bullet Witch.

So when can we expect you to start the LP? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

StandardVC10 posted:

So when can we expect you to start the LP? :v:

Yoko Taro didn't write it, and it isn't Resident Evil either, so Id's curse doesn't extend to it.

• Locked thread