Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Yes, that swarm almost killed me because I was laughing too hard to shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

The Dark Id posted:

The Engine Blade is a fairly decent Small Sword that gains Stun Ups for most of its upgrades. At maximum level, it gains Shift Avoid which turns the animation of 2B’s dodge to look like the warp Noctis does in Final Fantasy XV. It also alters the damage numbers to the same font as Final Fantasy XV possesses. I mean, I know Dragon Quest has big bubbly numbers. You could put a gun to my head and I couldn’t recall what FFXV’s font looked like. But sure! Why not?
The font is blue-colored futuristic looking font. That's the easiest way to describe FFXV damage number font

Spear Pod is extremely effective against very large ground enemies. It can FUBAR a Goliath Tank very quickly. Too bad there's very few enemies who fit that description.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

And we’ve got a ways to go in order to get out of this factory. Turns out this place is gigantic and that elevator took us DEEP into the bowels of the installation. A nice little detail is the camera zooms way out for this bridge to show us just how vast and cavernous the underbelly of the factory is and the music as well as sound effects become accordingly softer as the camera pulls away. Not only are we in the middle of Robo-Jonestown, we’re also miles underground. Great!

(...)

Abandoned Factory Concept Art – This doesn’t seem like the most efficient use of space...

The zoom-out and this bridge area is what took this segment from great to :discourse: for me, so good.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, this segment was long, but I still liked it. Could have done without the crushers though.

Also I'm not sure if all those dead stubbies were killed by the cultists. The very first time you visit the upper levels of the factory at the start of the game, there's already a bunch of dead stubbies here and there. I think the piles we see are just the ones that failed quality control, since that's where they're made and all that.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Between this section and the tutorial, it definitely feels like Abandoned Factory got at least 3 times more level design love than any other single area in the game, even setting aside segments like Flooded City and Copied City which felt clearly like "oh poo poo we're up against deadlines and we haven't even started these sections, guys".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Yeah, this segment was long, but I still liked it. Could have done without the crushers though.

Also I'm not sure if all those dead stubbies were killed by the cultists. The very first time you visit the upper levels of the factory at the start of the game, there's already a bunch of dead stubbies here and there. I think the piles we see are just the ones that failed quality control, since that's where they're made and all that.

2B has been through the area a few times and they haven't cleared out the corpses yet, just shoved them into piles.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

FailAtMagic posted:

Why not both ? :v::v::v:

Nah, just the former. Final Fantasy XV is a great game overall, though I will agree there are issues.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

pulsor93 posted:

Nah, just the former. Final Fantasy XV is a great game overall, though I will agree there are issues.

I didn't like that there was all this plot and poo poo getting in the way of my boys' summer vacation. I just wanted to do odd jobs, fish, eat at diners, murder monsters, dress my car up in pretty clothes, and gently caress around. The actual heroics get in the way.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I just started playing FF15 last week and really wonder how folks got through it before the recent Monster Truck type Regalia update, I am enjoying the game but driving is super boring without it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LIX: Watcher

One of those GlaDOS personality cores has really been eating its Wheaties.

New Music: Possessed by Disease (Become as Gods)
(Go listen to this. It’s both a really good boss theme and a version of this track that only plays here.)

Alert: Energy shield detected over enemy unit. Physical defense shield detected. Analysis: Both long- and close-range attacks are ineffective.
Oh, now what?
Large energy supply detected within this factory. Proposal: Energy source should be destroyed.

The beginning of this boss battle is a game of evasion. We cannot damage this obese Tachikoma due to its energy shield. Meanwhile, it makes some half-hearted charge attacks and then goes hog with ground pounds producing rings of damaging energy across the area which 2B must avoid for a bit. The camera automatically assumes the top-down position. So it’s not too bad to get away from this unscathed. After a tiny bit of evasion, 2B decides to phone up 9S and get his rear end on handling the machine’s shield power supply.

That Goliath we just encountered—
I got it! I’ve been keeping an eye on you. I’m gonna shut off power to the factory now!
Do it!

In addition to the ground pound energy rings, our new adversary also possesses a butt stomp AOE attack. Despite the severe looking laser light show, it doesn’t do a significant amount of damage. Indeed, this boss’s biggest design flaw is that none of its attacks are particularly damaging for an enemy that lacks much in the way of combination attacks.

After a tiny bit more holding out against the enemy, 9S phones up again with a status update.

90 percent... 92... 95... 98...

Enemy shield deactivated.

Now it’s time for the actual boss battle to begin. Meet So-Shi. This boss machine unit is named after Zhuang Zhou (So-Shi being based on the Japanese pronunciation of Master Zhuang/Zhuangzi) a 4th Century BC Chinese philosopher who wrote one of the founding texts on Daoism. Not sure what that has to do with a spider-tank robot. But there you go.

Now that So-Shi’s shields are down, we have a battle in the darkness against the machine on our hands. The giant glowing eye honestly looks pretty rad in the dark. We’ve seen several of So-Shi’s attacks already and it retains most of ‘em for the real battle.

Adding to its move set, So-Shi now has a forward pouncing slam of its arms, for lack of a better word. Of course it does. What large enemy has neglected to possess a leaping ground pound up to this point? Sure, they’ve all been incredibly easy to evade and this one is no different. But it’s just Goliath-class machine lifeform tradition at this point.

So-Shi can now perform a spinning attack where it extends its legs and twirls like a top on the spherical body. This comes in two varieties. One of ‘em involves the attack lasting for 5-10 seconds as it bounces about the arena. The other is just a brief 180 twirl to reveal its err...

rear end in a top hat...? Why did they give this giant orb a rectum? What purpose could that possibly serve? Christ... What a world.

When revealing its booty to 2B, So-Shi can extend a ridged turd drill from its anus rapidly in her direction. It’s difficult to see in the dark. But this is actually one of those horrible linked worm-like machines that hang out in the City Ruins crater and the Forest Zone castle. Just living up this boss machine’s butt now. It’s an odd symbiotic relationship...

Rounding out the Chinese philosopher bot’s move set is a secondary ground slam AOE that will attempt to smash 2B instead of lazily crashing in place. I mean that’s not technically a new move. It’s just an older move that moves. But So-Shi’s lightning display looks really rad in the dark. So there!

As far as attacking So-Shi goes, all points of it are fairly weak now that its impenetrable shield it had up for all of 30 seconds is deactivated. But it does have a clear weak point:

Its legs! Specifically, the metal plates on So-Shi’s legs can be shattered which both results in a nice chunk of damage and stunning the machine. We can just go hog wild smashing all of its leg plating one after another and basically stunlock the boss into oblivion in short order. But there is one last thing to point out.

When stunned, So-Shi actually has an even weaker point that can be exploited for tons of additional damage. That turd tube drill segment has the same glowing weak point as the independent version of enemies. I’m not sure if it can actually be destroyed, as this boss doesn’t have a remarkably large amount of HP and its stunned period isn’t super long. But it sure does hurt it.

Once So-Shi drops to below 5% health, it will retract all of its legs and make a final concentrated effort to just bowl over 2B and generally bounce around the arena.

At this point, all Pod Programs or main weapon fire is useless. We’ve gotta get 2B up in its face and deliver a physical killing blow to end the fight.

Two can play at the cinematic attacking from the darkness game.

Striking a cool pose as a machine explodes behind her is one of the few joys 2B gets in life. So we’ll just let her have her cheesy moment. So ends So-Shi. Though we’re not *quite* done with our escape from the factory yet.

Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet Instrumental)

Pascal silently drifts in on his butt jetpack back to 2B’s side. I guess he’d just been flying around up there the entirety of that battle. Kinda lost track of him in the fray. He has nothing to add about 2B’s victory in the fight. Pascal just wants to go home at this point.

So-Shi’s destruction has somehow lowered the bridge leading out of this level of the facility and onto an elevator finally heading to the top ground floor of the region. 9S has dropped out of communication at this point. If he managed to get captured or owned in space, he’s on his own this time.

This final elevator deposits us in some familiar ground. We’re back in the smelter pits we crossed multiple times in the variety of sidequests that required traversing the better part of the Abandoned Factory. Or at least the parts of the Abandoned Factory we had access to at the time. The area is significantly darker and creepy looking now. Partly due to the dead machine corpses strewn all over the area. Though they’re not all dead just yet.

For instance, as we head into a nearby shipping area we saw filled with idle machines on previous visits, it’s now full of machines gleefully stabbing their fellow machines repeatedly in the dark.

It feels good! It feels good! It feels sooo goooooood!
God God God God God God God God God...

We’ll uhh... just leave those boys to do their thing. We know this area. We’re just a few rooms from the exit. The last of the surviving zealots can be found in the smelter pits. They’re either passively worshiping nothing in particular or...

The only option left is to die...
I’m scared... I’m so scared...

Yes, let us die now!

And so they all leap to their deaths in the liquid steel. Well... at least they’re not trying to kill 2B and Pascal anymore. But, that’s not the last of ‘em.

The moment we’ve pined for is here! Let us all go together!
We will become gods and be freed from our torment!

And there goes another set of leapers jumping headlong into oblivion. How about one more set for the road, eh?

Farewell! Farewell!
We will become gods and be freed from our torment!
Bye-bye! Bye-bye!

Become as gods, you crazy kids you...

And thus ends our time with the machine lifeforms’ death cult. It’s a straight shot out with nothing but corpses from here to the exit.

Welp. We made it, Pascal. That was bonkers. But hey, it could have been way worse. At least there was no red-eyed jerks being possessed by extra-dimensional beings.

Music: ENDS

Meanwhile, hey remember Eve...? We kinda got sidetracked after we murdered his brother in that death match. He doesn’t seem particularly thrilled with our previous actions.

Eve slams the table, knocking over the candle stick.

Look, man. Your brother literally asked for that to happen. I’m sorry he was busy getting deep into blood sports instead of being there for you or teaching you about shirts. But the guy made his decision. Besides... Can’t you grow another brother out of one of your ribs? Does it work like that or was that only a one-time thing?

Eve slaps the candlestick off the table.

Hmm... I bet it was a one-time thing, huh? Bummer.

That is uhh... that’s an interesting tattoo spreading skin discoloration you’ve got going on there, Eve. I feel like I’ve seen that one somewhere before... Weird.

Tune in next time for the beginning of the final chapter of NieR: Automata’s first playthrough. I’m sure Eve will get over his foul mood in a couple days and that... interesting... skin condition spreading all over his body is nothing to worry about...

Video: Episode 59 Highlight Reel
(It’s a boss fight and the end of the chapter. You should watch this.)

Eve Official Art – He never did evolve the ability to use shirts. Tragic.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 23, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
What the gently caress are those pants.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

After about the eighth or ninth Machine War everyone got kinda lazy about cleaning up knowing it was just going to get all messy again.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

edgy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

belt zippers have come a long way in ten millennia

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So which ending will be the one where it turns out these believers were totally right and dying actually does let you become god?

I was more than half expecting a joke ending where 2B accepts their theology and jumps into the molten metal pits.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Scale mail for dummies

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Being forcibly ejected from the Network could have fried the circuits of some of the machines, too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mokinokaro posted:

I ran into a swarm of them in the desert. Figured they were intentionally a Serious Sam nod.

The fact that they scream makes it all but certain they are.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

ZeeToo posted:

I was more than half expecting a joke ending where 2B accepts their theology and jumps into the molten metal pits.
There is no jumping section (that i know of) where you could possibly fall into the molten steel, else there probably would have been :v:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, thanks for doing this LP! I've wanted to see this game for a while. :)

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Possessed by Disease is a great track - the non-BECOME AS GODS version was used in the 2015 Paris Games trailer for the game, and it was such a great track that as a Platinum Games fan, I was pretty hooked.

One of my friends, who's not a Platinum fan but IS a Nier fan (who hadn't heard about Automata before I mentioned it) immediately put down cash for a preorder.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
huh

eve's .... whatever
reminds me of this

surely a coincidence

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's the mark of the watchers from Drakengard, which (in-universe) is what that evolved to become.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

The Dark Id posted:

One of those GlaDOS personality cores has really been eating its Wheatleys.

Shamefully missing an opportunity for a pun, there. :colbert:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

quote:

9S has dropped out of communication at this point. If he managed to get captured or owned in space, he’s own his own this time.

"On his own."

...and now I kind of want to boot up N:A just to play this section again and jam out to the music.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can machines be posthumously reconnected to the network? Have their memories read or something?

I see Eve has at least made crucial strides in furniture technology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

So which ending will be the one where it turns out these believers were totally right and dying actually does let you become god?

:same:

Would have been a great jumpoff for nier 4.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So... something to do with The Watchers... and Eve... this can't possibly be good.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

DeafNote posted:

huh

eve's .... whatever
reminds me of this

surely a coincidence

A pair of twins.

The boy is precocious, the "girl" is possessed by eldritch powers and goes mad.

Every Drakenier game.

Edit: thinking about it, naive fits better than precocious. Boy One isn't super smart.

Woodbeam fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 23, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well except in original Nier neither twin gets possessed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Except with rage.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

If there's a reason given for Eve getting the mark of the watchers tattoo, I sure as hell have no idea what it is. I don't think it was ever called back to.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The theme for So-Shi was one of my favourite tracks ever since an early gameplay trailer for this game debuted it and it's still a standalone for the soundtrack.

Also for those of you following this LP: the soundtrack is great, but don't go searching anything out for a while. None of the tracks are explicitly spoilery, but they do hint at some rather unpleasant things to come.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

S.D. posted:

Possessed by Disease is a great track - the non-BECOME AS GODS version was used in the 2015 Paris Games trailer for the game, and it was such a great track that as a Platinum Games fan, I was pretty hooked.

One of my friends, who's not a Platinum fan but IS a Nier fan (who hadn't heard about Automata before I mentioned it) immediately put down cash for a preorder.

Watching one of the live performances of possessed by disease was incredible. There's like no editing in what you hear in her performance, it's all her.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Ink not the Watchers.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
I really recommend anyone who hasn't played the game to watch the video of this boss battle and see how brilliantly the OST is paired with the events going on in the fight--the music goes into a lull during the opening where 2B can't hurt the boss, and then it bursts into the wailing choral intensity right during the segment where 9S deactivates the lights/shields and you get to let loose--it is just so loving cool how dramatically everything is synchronized. The way audio is used in this games is just unfathomably amazing and this was definitely a high point in route A for me. Also Nier Automata clearly isn't as high budget and crazy polygonally dense as something like Uncharted or Horizon but the way it uses that sort of misty visual minimalism is so good--seeing all the sparks erupt in the darkness as this big glowing eyeball rockets towards you (thrusting its coil prolapse...) is such a MOMENT. It's a quieter aesthetic that uses low/high contrast in really beautiful ways--I also am really fond of the desert region with the blooming sun rays that obscure your view and turn the frame into almost a painting.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

Well except in original Nier neither twin gets possessed.

Replace twins with siblings and you get it. (Nier and Yonah)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Everyone keeps forgetting Emil had a sister :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I knew that combination of armored pants, white hair, and shirt allergy reminded me of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

oath2order posted:

If there's a reason given for Eve getting the mark of the watchers tattoo, I sure as hell have no idea what it is. I don't think it was ever called back to.

Eh, some things are just bizarre mindfucks that aren't supposed to be comprehensible to mere humans. Or something.

• Locked thread