Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Eh, some things are just bizarre mindfucks that aren't supposed to be comprehensible to mere humans. Or something.

Our dark lord is trying to get us thinking in another direction before he sucker punches us with the real crazy. :tinfoil:

Edit: Have an Emil to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Here's a live performance from 2015 of the singer performing every facet, pitch, and tone of the vocals on this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-o2EtUOtNg. Her range and vocal control is incredible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

I knew that combination of armored pants, white hair, and shirt allergy reminded me of something.

I was going to say it looked like a pair of jeans hosed some dragonscale armor from Skyrim.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

One way to look at Eve's tats is that after 8,000 years the Watchers' influence--that is, magic--has been deeply ingrained in the fabric of this world. Look at how much of YorHa's tech seems to take it for granted, for instance. Yet most of the time it remains too diffuse to influence things towards any specific end. However, every so often someone comes along with the right mix of power and crazy that they can sort of... nudge in certain directions.

I say 'one way' because even in the games where they play a central role in events, nothing about them is ever well explained or spelled out in detail. They're just this vast, hostile, otherworldly presence. Who knows why they do anything, man?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Mostly they get hungry, if the events of Drakengard are anything to go by.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rangpur posted:

One way to look at Eve's tats is that after 8,000 years the Watchers' influence--that is, magic--has been deeply ingrained in the fabric of this world. Look at how much of YorHa's tech seems to take it for granted, for instance. Yet most of the time it remains too diffuse to influence things towards any specific end. However, every so often someone comes along with the right mix of power and crazy that they can sort of... nudge in certain directions.

I say 'one way' because even in the games where they play a central role in events, nothing about them is ever well explained or spelled out in detail. They're just this vast, hostile, otherworldly presence. Who knows why they do anything, man?

Nah Eve is just going full goffik nd needs sw33t tats 2 show how hot & darkk he is

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nervous posted:

Edit: Have an Emil to start a new page.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Going by the description of that boss fight, I'm guessing I shouldn't have died like 10 times on him.

Did anyone else have a rough time with him?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

some guy on the bus posted:

Going by the description of that boss fight, I'm guessing I shouldn't have died like 10 times on him.

I think I took 2 or 3 attempts to get the groove of him down. IIRC it was a significant enough change from how the combat had been up to that point that I kind of had to readjust my approach pretty significantly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh somehow missed the Watcher tattoo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

I can see how it would be tough if you don't notice the leg thing quickly and stunlock it to death.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

Nah Eve is just going full goffik nd needs sw33t tats 2 show how hot & darkk he is

Do you think when Eve is on the network he goes by the name "xXxSephirothxXx"?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Thank you, I was dearly hoping someone would do this :)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

That's adorrible.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Eve's pants remind me of this.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The tattoo is spreading so that Eve will become ashamed of it and learn regret.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think I took 2 or 3 attempts to get the groove of him down. IIRC it was a significant enough change from how the combat had been up to that point that I kind of had to readjust my approach pretty significantly.

Sindai posted:

I can see how it would be tough if you don't notice the leg thing quickly and stunlock it to death.

Yeah, my strategy of keeping distance was not a good one. This is what happened to me over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTD6GRzS7fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22vWrtyHro

Then when I went in close though, it was hard to time his shock waves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hWJo-EXWI

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 24, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

I did too when playing.

Suddenly a few events make a lot more sense.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
What, like Eve being a big baby?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Yeah, my strategy of keeping distance was not a good one. This is what happened to me over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTD6GRzS7fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22vWrtyHro

Then when I went in close though, it was hard to time his shock waves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hWJo-EXWI

Have you considered that maybe you're just underleveled/playing on a difficulty level that's too high for you, because that boss really isn't that hard.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

:same:

I was on Route B when my wife casually mentioned Eve and his Watchers tattoo. Suddenly Route A made a bit more sense.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Eopia posted:

Have you considered that maybe you're just underleveled/playing on a difficulty level that's too high for you, because that boss really isn't that hard.

I actually love that it challenged me. I've seen complaints that people breezed through the game on Normal, and I would have complained about that if I had experienced the same, but that wasn't my experience at all. I had a great experience with the gameplay. I want boss battles to be a bit of a struggle.

Part of the problem for me here may have been that I got suicide bombed earlier which took away all my chips. When I died, it sent me back to a checkpoint with no chips. I would have had to restore a save point and lose a lot of progress to keep my chips.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LX: Lunch Break

I had no idea such a vast space existed beneath the abandoned factory! I need to return and investigate as soon as possible. When I do, perhaps you’d be willing to join me?
No thanks.
I’m heading back to the Resistance camp. What about you?
Oh, I’ll probably wander back to the village. I have plenty on my plate there.
I see.

And with that, Pascal zooms off into the sky and leaves us to our devices in this, the final chapter of NieR: Automata. If it doesn’t feel remotely like the end of the game should be coming up soon, that’s because it isn’t. We will get what the game considers a main ending. The actual, normal speed version of the game’s credits will play. We will be dumped back at the title screen. But it will be far from the end of NieR: Automata. The first couple of main endings in the game are more the conclusion of acts to the game than an actual conclusion to the narrative.

What we will be coming up on is the NieR 1’s equivalent of say... Jack of Hearts attacking the Village and Yonah getting kidnapped by the Shadowlord. Kinda... Not really but ehh... This game is weird. But that’s getting ahead of ourselves. As soon as Pascal fades into the clouds above, 2B receives a radio communication.

Say again? I’m not receiving.
Scanning for interference.
*static* ...The machines...! *static* Requesting... backup... *static* forces in range...! *static* Please we c...
*call drops*
Let’s move.

New Music: Shade (Quiet)

None of that sounded particularly great. I wonder if it has anything to do with Eve vowing to murder everyone and becoming infected with some manner of Cult of the Watchers branded skin disease and Red Eyes. Nah... Since when did the machines ever act on anything quickly? I mean other than the death cult that started and imploded within the span of 2-3 days.

That Access Point back in the Resistance Camp is still busted from earlier. So we’ll have to leg it back into town. As we approach the City Ruins proper, we can see the machines air dropping a few units ahead. This actually happens regularly, usually as the result of a sidequest being triggered. If 2B is ever quick enough in entering an area where new enemies spawn, they’ll actually show them being dropped and not just manifesting out of the ether. It’s a neat little detail (even if the airdropping machines phase into nothingness as they fly away...)

The machines ahead are just basic Stubby Boys. Though a few of ‘em do have torn up faces and all of them are far more aggressive than usual. Their aggro range seems way the heck higher than usual. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say the machines seem downright pissed.

Additionally, the machines have gained a new ability. They can now charge up and release a small AOE energy burst that’s surprisingly damaging, especially coming from a basic Stubby unit. One hit takes off a good fifth of 2B’s total energy. But otherwise, the Stubbies remain largely the same.

Moving on... err... Holy poo poo. Is that mini-map reading right? That’s a LOT of enemy units in the area. Or moose... It doesn’t really differentiate well. Regardless, there must be something off. That can’t be right.

...Oh. No. Is that mini-map reading was correct. The City Ruins is absolutely FLOODED with extremely aggressive machines. And more are being air-dropped in as we speak. I think we might have a problem on our hands.

Cause unknown.
Try contacting the Bunker via laser relay system.
Affirmative.

2B is free to get her murder on out in the City Ruin fields. But it’s a futile effort. More enemies are being dropped in than 2B has the ability to kill. It’s a losing proposition. Good place to grind though, if we felt like we needed a few more levels.

We don’t thanks to all those sidequests. So let’s just ignore all of these machines with a bone to pick against androids and hurry on to the Resistance Camp. The urgency of that garbled message seems somewhat more apparent now.

The area surrounding the Resistance Camp is suffering the same machine lifeform influx of visitors as the central field. But still... it’s mostly a bunch of Stubby boys. The Resistance can hold their own against a bunch of Stubbies, right? They’re like the least threatening dudes on the planet. Their main form of locomotion is bunny hopping.

Somebody help me!
Get out of here now!

Welp. The place is on fire and androids are fleeing for their lives. That’s not a great start... That’s not a great start at all. I cannot believe the machines finally located the Resistance’s hideout behind a building with a couple tarps in front of it. Clever bastards...

Yeah... Yep, this doesn’t look like it is going great for the androids. Guys, maybe next time you should... I dunno... Put up a gate to your secret base? Or maybe hang out in a building so machines cannot just air drop on the middle of your ba—

Ergh...? Excuse me, are you all...

Are they... eating them!?

Welp. This escalated quickly. Wait... since when did the machines have mouths? You mean there were mouths and teeth under those dome heads...? Were they always there or is that new? Regardless... Why?! Why would you give them teeth?!

...Right. So, umm...

NOOOOOOOOOPE! Not doing this. We’re out!

2B, they’re eating androids. You’re not getting paid enough to deal with flesh eating trashcan boys.

gently caress this noise! We’re out. Good luck with whatever all this is...

Ten years later, 2B would find herself hunted by both machine lifeforms and YoRHa assassins—a life she seemed to enjoy more than her previous one.

See ya all in NiER 3: Anglermata.

Video: Episode 60 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this.)

Yes, they’ve always had teeth and a horrific endoskeleton under that cute outer shell. Why do they have teeth? Hmm... I dunno. Probably has nothing to do with the initial invasion where they were repelled by an army of clone magic grinning orb boys...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 26, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Update was not titled "The Greatest of Feasts," 0/10, 0 stars, unfollowed.

Okay now that I've gotten that joke out of my system I have to say that I was freaking the gently caress out when this poo poo started happening. Eve getting a neat Watchers tattoo? I mean it's bad but it seemed like it was at worst a light callback. Then this happened and I realized that for all intents and purposes I was now fighting alien robots that had been possessed by eldritch horrors beyond mortal comprehension.

:yokotaro: everybody!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Dark Id posted:

Yes, they’ve always had teeth and a horrific endoskeleton under that cute outer shell. Why do they have teeth? Hmm... I dunno. Probably has nothing to do with the initial evasion where they were repelled by an army of clone magic grinning orb boys...

Should be "invasion".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh hey what's up, I'm just reading this Nier Automata Let's Play, we can talk-

Oh my god, what's wrong with your faaaace?!

Alternatively:

Machine lifeform cannibalism is not a joke and I have no intention of making light of it. And I know that it's often much harder on the android than on the machine...

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think that this is my favorite joke ending. 2B just wanders off to a life of fishing, hunted by machines and androids alike. I especially like how the ending text is clearly not sure what she's off to do, but eh, fishing sounds good, right?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I love this idea of letting the player just go off the rails and giving ajoke ending for it. The original half life and it's spin offs did this in one or two places if you killed yourself in a bizarre way or killed an important npc, and I found that memorable

One game idea I've wanted to see would be to give a text ending no matter where you died and tell you exactly what happened of your quest failed here, what the enemy who killed you got as a reward or not, etc

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Will this LP explain what a Watcher tattoo implies? They're, like... the divine power behind the world-ruining salt monsters in the first Nier's backstory?

edit: and I guess Eve has red eyes now. OK I think I get what we're supposed to be picking up, even without having read the Drakengard LPs.

Explosions fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 24, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The watchers are real bad, there that's the cliffnotes version.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

One game idea I've wanted to see would be to give a text ending no matter where you died and tell you exactly what happened of your quest failed here, what the enemy who killed you got as a reward or not, etc

The DOS Indiana Jones adventure games had this whenever the player died or got captured. In the Last Crusade game, Indy mostly ended up scrubbing antiques in some German museum for the rest of his life. Which, as the game gleefully informs you, is quite a long time given that the Nazis end up getting the Grail.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Explosions posted:

Will this LP explain what a Watcher tattoo implies? They're, like... the divine power behind the world-ruining salt monsters in the first Nier's backstory?

Hard to summarize, but the very very basics is that the Watchers trace back to Drakengard 1 and are hosed-up eldritch beings from beyond the veil that manifest as flying cannibal babies, thousand foot tall pregnant women made of salt and rhythm games.

poo poo is bad news.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tempest_56 posted:

Hard to summarize, but the very very basics is that the Watchers trace back to Drakengard 1 and are hosed-up eldritch beings from beyond the veil that manifest as flying cannibal babies, thousand foot tall pregnant women made of salt and rhythm games.

poo poo is bad news.

Yeah, wasn't there a letter or message or something in the game that said a bunch of ways not to depict them or something?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Explosions posted:

edit: and I guess Eve has red eyes now. OK I think I get what we're supposed to be picking up, even without having read the Drakengard LPs.

You see that picture above the highlight reel link?

Basically that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Eve presumably took over Adam's half of things when he died, so is this now all remaining machines on the network?

People were trying to argue that disconnecting from it was what made machines crazy. Heh.

From some of the comments so far I take it that this ending won't explain poo poo, if noticing the tattoo and glowing eyes was the only indication you got that Watchers were involved. I really do hope the other endings or at least the supplementary materials goes into this in some kind of detail.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

What the gently caress are those pants.

Special Event Monster Hunter Leg Armor.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Explosions posted:

It's bad news. End of official LP explanation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Do not explain the Watchers.

Lalalalalalalala

Lagomorpheus
Apr 26, 2017
I think they overshot when becoming as gods and ended up landing in Titan territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Junpei posted:

Yeah, wasn't there a letter or message or something in the game that said a bunch of ways not to depict them or something?

Speak not the Watchers,
Draw not the Watchers,
Write not the Watchers,
Sculpt not the Watchers,
Sing not the Watchers,
Call not the Watchers' name.

• Locked thread