Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

The most hosed is the ending where Adam and Eve are both dead, so the new controller of the machine network is Jean-Paul.
I'd argue that's one of the happier endings. The machines stop attacking androids finally, and humans are able to resettle Earth. The only real problem is that all the remaining machines will not shut up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Crossquoting from PYF Historical Fun Fact thread: turns out there was a death-seeking Christian cult in Roman North Africa and it sounds pretty familiar.

quote:

Cults are weird things, and Christian cults are absolutely no exception.

In the fourth and fifth centuries, Christianity had spread into the Maghreb region of Northern Africa, on the very edge of the failing Roman empire. Normally small cult-sects of religions aren't much to write home about, having similar practices to their over-arching religion with a few variances that set them apart that often have been facilitated by cultural or regional norms. The first five centuries of Christianity were a very diverse period in which competing groups battled it out over all manner of doctrinal and political issues. One such group was the Berber Donatists sect, a branch of Christians that was founded on the basis of an extremely complex stand that generally extolled the virtues of Martyrdom.

Within this sect was a radical, fanatical group called the Circumcellions (they called themselves agonistici - "fighters (for Christ)"). The Circumcellions ("Guys who hang around villages") were mostly lower-class peasants, many of whom were illiterate. I have read several descriptions of the Circumcellions and they are at best described as "rustic enthusiasts" and at worst "the Roman equivalent of trailer trash". Generally the only job these guys had was the one they gave themselves - being Circumcellions.

However, the Circumcellions had thought long and hard about the 'path' to heaven, and realized that there was a loophole. It was clear that the Bible gave a straight path to heaven if one is a martyr. Martyrdom was the sole aspiration of the Circumcellions, which they regarded as the ONLY Christian virtue - thus rejecting the primacy of chastity, sobriety, humility, and charity. Christianity was now the state church, so they clearly had a problem with how they were going to achieve their goals.

Because Jesus had told Peter to put down his sword in the Garden of Gethsemane, the Circumcellions avoided bladed weapons and used clubs. They took to fashioning absolutely massive wooden clubs, which they called "Israelites", and would hide along well-traveled trading paths waiting for unwary travelers to come along. When they saw a victim, they would jump out and beat them with their clubs while shouting "Deo laudes!" ("Praise God!"). The goal was not to take anything, not to kill the person - only to beat and annoy them enough to goad them to fight back, and hopefully, kill them and thus make them a martyr. It was the ultimate way into heaven, after all, and it was considered a special blessing if the person doing the killing was a member of the church or any variety of town official.

One historical incident we have on record states:

The Catholic Encyclopedia posted:

A number of these fanatics, fattened like pheasants, met a young man and offered him a drawn sword to smite them with, threatening to murder him if he refused. He pretended to fear that when he had killed a few, the rest might change their minds and avenge the deaths of their fellows; and he insisted that they must all be bound. They agreed to this; when they were defenceless, the young man gave each of them a beating and went his way.

For those that had such setbacks, or just generally weren't able to go out and provoke attacks, other methods of martyrdom was available. Drowning in the River Chotts and mass-cliff-jumping were popular choices, and those and truly dedicated members would burn themselves at the stake. Others interrupted courts of law and verbally provoked the judge so that he would order their immediate execution (a normal punishment at the time for contempt of court). There are even mentions in Catholic historical texts that say they would go so far as to just pay someone to kill them by threatening to kill someone passing by if the person refused. The one method that was completely off limits and most definitely not the way to heaven was hanging, as that was the way Judas killed himself, and they certainly did not want to be associated with him. They were never reported as starving to death, as that would take too long. If a member did succeed in offing themselves they were honored by the living Circumcellions as the ultimate in martyr, having their grave tended to and venerated, often becoming a stop on a pilgrimage path.

Theodoret says a Circumcellion was accustomed to announce his intention of becoming a martyr long before the time, in order to be well treated and fed like a beast for slaughter, and also relates the same story quoted above.

It wasn’t just random attacks trying to provoke suicide-by-traveler that the Circumcellions were known for. The order absolutely hated Rome and the authority figures that had been officially sanctioned by the church. They also hated slavery, and soon became widely hated by slave owners not only because of their insistence that slaves had rights, too, but because of their seemingly random attacks that freed slaves and gave them the chains that now secured their former masters, often recruiting those slaves into their cause.

At the beginning, other Donatists saw them as the selfless martrys they so badly wanted to be, but as the movement got more and more out of hand, the Circumcellions became increasingly unpopular. Righteous indignation turned into an increasingly violent crime wave fueled by lust, religious ecstasy, and not a little bit of alcohol. Donatists disavowed the Circumcellion movement in short order and strictly forbade cliff jumping, yet crowds of Circumcellions and their supporters would flock to the streets to honor the cliff-jumpers' deaths.

Donatism as a whole was officially outlawed by the mainstream church in A.D. 411, and was all but dead for the Circumcellions. They roamed the land armed with their massive clubs, refocusing their ire on anyone who belonged to the more mainstream branches of Christianity. They stole from the church, blinded clergy, and tortured those who didn’t believe as they did, all the while proclaiming that they were the only true form of Christianity. They were known to forcibly rebaptize any clergy they caught hold of as Circumcellion.

The Circumcellions eventually suffered the same fate that befalls most suicide cults -- loss of members due to excessive death. Contributing factors included the anarchist tendencies of attacking both religious and civil authority figures, which demanded a forceful government response, combined with the pressures that arise from persecuting the wealthy, combined with their predilection for hurling themselves off cliffs in the absence of any other way to die.

It was in response to the wacky shenanigans of the Circumcellions that St. Augustine wrote the first major theological justification for the use of violence by Christians -- so that they could defend themselves against the club-wielding morons. If you're Catholic, you can thank the Circumcellions for the doctrine of the "just war" and your inability to invoke "conscientious objector" to get out of military service.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of the Become as Gods machines I always liked the thought that it's because Adam managed to leave behind his death interest stuff when he disconnected, and the religious machines are the ones who were under his half of the network and furthermore picked up a variation on his view of dying.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Actually you can kill enough skyboys that they stop coming. It is a lot though. I dunno why this game inspired me to test every situation like that but it did.

It's probably not gonna come up, on a first playthrough anyway. More feasible in + where a couple of laser taps put down fliers and something else sweeps goliaths away in one hit and nothing can touch you. It's not particularly useful but it is fun.

Also I don't remember if he does but I guess Emil probably still cruises around while everything has gone all stabby.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

McDragon posted:

Also I don't remember if he does but I guess Emil probably still cruises around while everything has gone all stabby.

Even in the midst of chaos, every sale's a win, so he's probably looking for a score during the carnage.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kassad posted:

Circumcellion.

I know what I am going to cross preach whenever someone comes to my door asking me if I have heard the word of God now.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Having just come out of reading through the digital devil saga lp in the archive cannibal machines does not really slow me at all.

I think I'm numb to a lot of poo poo at this point, I don't think anything from the DrakeNIER games has really made me stop and wonder what the gently caress was going on.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Haha yeah, I remember when the giant naked lightning babies with teeth crawled out of the space between dimensions and I was like, "NOW it all makes sense!"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So very many things make sense in the context of giant teeth babies from space.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm glad she got a happy ending :unsmith:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

TurnipFritter posted:

:kimchi:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

It's a nice picture, but how's she going to fish? I don't see a pod.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
Interesting article on Platinum Games' blog. I skimmed it and didn't see any obvious spoilers, but still approach with due caution. And don't scroll past the "author's blurb" at the bottom. Thar be uncharted territory.

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9562

If someone does find spoilery stuff in easy access, let me know and I'll kill the link.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Uh oh, I knew Eve's tattoo looked way too familiar

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Qrr posted:

It's a nice picture, but how's she going to fish? I don't see a pod.

You're right.

VV That's not the sun, but he does brighten up the world :*)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 26, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

TurnipFritter posted:

You're right.

Wow, she must have gone pretty far to have found the sun again!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

You're right.

VV That's not the sun, but he does brighten up the world :*)

That is truly the best ending.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Qrr posted:

It's certainly better than having to put up with WatcherBots.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Qrr posted:

until the mackerels descend from heaven

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

Even in the midst of chaos, every sale's a win, so he's probably looking for a score during the carnage.

Just imagining him rolling up to a bunch of stubbies tearing apart a resistance member, and him trying out a sales pitch until they start chewing on his tires.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXI: Electric Boogaloo

As nice as it would be for 2B to just go “gently caress this noise” and retire to a life of fishing with the occasional assassin duel for desertion, I’m afraid we’ll be opting out of that future and dealing with the crisis at hand.

Music: Birth of a Wish

Our first order of business is to cleanse the camp of all the rampaging android flesh eating machines. This camp was already kind of cramp. We’ve definitely got no room for all of these bulky trashcan bots.

The few Medium Bipeds in the area seem to have borrowed spears from the Forest Kingdom for the City Ruins invasion. But otherwise the machines in the area are less than noteworthy, other than having a huge aggro rage and being far more aggressive with attacking than usual.

Once the main area of the camp is cleansed of psychotic machines, we need to head out back to sort out the robots causing a ruckus in the back of the camp. Quite a few Resistance androids didn’t make it. But... it’s entirely unnamed androids ones we didn’t know. All the merchants, the weird headed tutorial duo and the redhead twins are not among the corpses.

Also the jukebox is fine, in case you were worried. Now the YoRHa android that told us about the jukebox? Her ravaged corpse is on the other side of Anemone’s tent. But the music player itself is fine. So that’s nice.

Heading to the rear of the camp, we immediately run into Anemone trying unsuccessfully to deal with all the guys in her base killing all her dudes. Let’s see what she has to say...

2B! They came out of nowhere. Overran the entire camp. We tried to fight back, but our shots have no effect!
Alert: Energy shields detected on multiple enemy fighters. Physical attacks recommended.
Got it. You get the other androids out of here!
Good luck!

With that, Anemone runs off leaving 2B to handle the machines utilizing the impenetrable defense of a... medieval style shield. By all accounts the previous 13 Machine Wars went poorly because the androids never researched anything more advanced than an AK-47 to combat the machines at an infantry level.

The back lot of the Resistance Camp is lousy with sawblade wielding Stubbies, shielded punchy Medium Bipeds and one Goliath Biped just kinda hanging out at the back. The Spear Pod Program continues to be extremely good when dealing with all of these jerks stuck to a 2D plane, other than the Goliath Biped.

On a related note, unless I’m forgetting something this is the only time a 2D segment requires a fight against a Goliath Biped. Those enemies don’t translate very well since their attacks are limited to just flailing in 2B’s general direction and anything more advanced has been disabled. It doesn’t help their survivability.

In any case, as soon as all of the machines in the area are dismantled we can return to the central area to give Anemone an update. Let’s go do just that.

Music: ENDS

What’s going on here?
I have no idea. They came out of nowhere and just—

Huh!?
That was outside the camp!
Everyone... They’re all... No. Some of them must have managed to escape.

An ominous rumbling in the distance is never good news in any situation. Much less a full blown invasion involving flesh eating hordes. Let’s go see what’s wrong.

Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

No, 2B. Don’t be silly. You destroyed So-Shi. Sliced it into bits and it exploded, remember? The machines aren’t great at putting themselves back together after exploding. This is just a remarkably similar looking unit, Boku-Shi. Boku-Shi is the Japanese pronunciation of Mozi a Chinese philosopher from the early Warring States period who thought Confucianism and Taoism were bullshit and founded the school of Mohism.

Don’t worry about any of that. It’s another spider-bot. But one with a near completely different moveset, despite the very similar looks to the previous boss. Most notably, it has swapped out its front pincers with a trio of cannons which fire orbs in scattershot and fun circular configurations.

But that’s not all! The cannons can also power up and fire a concentrated energy blast. Boku-Shi will rotate itself to sweep the entire ground level of the area with laser fire. Granted, if 2B has the high ground it’s kind of a non-issue. But that’s not going to allow us to beat this boss, now is it?

The primary gimmick of Boku-Shi is that it is hanging out in the pleasant pond in front of the Resistance Camp. And it has electrified the entirety of it while it’s active. This is one of the few points in the game where Volt-Proof Salve is incredibly useful. Unless we’re gonna plink away at this spider-bot with Pod fire, we’re probably gonna want to attack it directly.

Boku-Shi has the same design flaw as So-Shi in that destroying one of the plates on its legs will stun the machine. When stunned, the electrical flow into the pond will be deactivated for a time.

Boku-Shi also comes equipped with a butt and a big drill snake that comes out of it with accompanying glowing weak point. I’ve never actually seen this version of the Personality Core knock-off use the drill snake in an attack. It’s just kinda there to get attacked if the machine becomes stunned.

After falling to around 50% HP, Boku-Shi lets out a screeching mechanical scream of pain which triggers one of the key differences between this fight and So-Shi...

This is never going to end...
Hypothesis: The Goliath-class enemy’s scream has summoned the local machine lifeforms. Proposal: Destroy the Goliath.

For the second half of this battle, unlimited numbers of Stubby machines start pouring in to help out its larger comrade. Like a ton of ‘em. While not usually much of a threat, that changes when getting swamped by 6-8 of them at once from all sides.

Plus, they serve as a distraction from Boku-Shi which gives it time to reactivate the electrical current in the pond and that could be bad news for 2B if her Volt Proof Salve has worn off at a bad time. Machine lifeforms are immune to electricity so the Stubbies don’t care if the water is on full electric blast.

Rounding out the last of Boku-Shi’s attack is a classic missile volley on 2B’s position if she hangs back for too long plinking away instead of honorably battling him in the electrified quagmire below.

Once we get Boku-Shi down to around 25% HP, like its predecessor it retracts its legs and goes into full Anger Sphere mode. Though this time instead of rolling around, Boku-Shi opts to bounce around unleashing energy shockwaves in its wake. It’s actually kind of a pain in the rear end to take out here if it manages to get some distance away from 2B since the only way to pursue is to bunny hop over shockwaves like a dingus.

Once Boku-Shi drops to about 5% health it decides to stop taking damage and 2B is unable to seal the deal finishing it. Also...

Boku-Shi unleashes a Cutscene Shock which sends 2B flying across the area. 2B is going to have to rethink her strategy. Or...

Up in the sky... Is it a bird...? Is it a plane...?

No, it’s 9S destroying another goddamn Flight Unit! 9S, what the gently caress?! We were just mildly inconvenienced by that thing but otherwise had it mostly beaten. You could have just flown down here and provided support and we would have had that fight. Why did you think the best idea was to kamikaze it from space with your war mobile suit?! You stupid idiot child! Goddammit! :argh:

As a small consolation, we do get to immediately see 9S totally eat poo poo hard after his antics. So that’s fun.

You okay?
Good thing I... landed that direct... hit—

The two’s reunion is interrupted by some rummaging coming from Boku-Shi’s direction.

Uh oh.

You know, I think Eve might be kinda pissed. I dunno. Just this weird vibe I’m getting from him lately. Not sure what that’s all about.

All the remaining machine lifeforms in the area converge on Boku-Shi’s wreckage. I don’t like where this is going. Last time this happened, they turned into a giant robo-womb and gave birth to a Sephiroth...

Thankfully, it’s nothing quite as weird this time. Instead...

Tune in next time when 2B and 9S fight the robotic version of Legion from Castlevania as NieR: Automata Route A’s final chapter continues.

Video: Episode 61 Highlight Reel
(Worth watching to see 9S totally beef it. :v: )

Early Eve Concept Art – Hey Eve, Cent wants his jacket back. Yes, he’s a pigeon now and it no longer fits. It’s still his jacket, dude.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The boss fights are the weakest parts of this game post-Opera Singer, and it's such a shame since you know they can do better.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Poor 9S, a few minutes earlier and he would have been really cool and useful and 2B would totally have gone to the dance with him and...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:mmmhmm: I always got a laugh at 9S cratering like that. Looks like he bounced off his head, too. The one place it could do no harm!

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Don't those flight units cost like 10 times what 9S does? It'd be way cheaper to explode himself while the flight unit safely returns to base.

This is inefficient use of YoRHa resources.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apparently androids are very bouncy, which I guess is pretty useful if you really want to drop a rocket on someone from orbit.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Emy posted:

Don't those flight units cost like 10 times what 9S does? It'd be way cheaper to explode himself while the flight unit safely returns to base.

This is inefficient use of YoRHa resources.

The real final boss will be the head of YoRHa's accounting department going apeshit after 9S and/or 2B blew up one flight unit too many.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Kassad posted:

The real final boss will be the head of YoRHa's accounting department going apeshit after 9S and/or 2B blew up one flight unit too many.
Forget that, go straight to the top and fight the CFO! YoRHa uses magic attacks that spawn angelic letters; are there angelic numbers for the YoRHa balance sheets?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Oh 9S, you so wacky.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And now the game switches to a remake of Katamari Damacy played as Eve. If you think that ball of stubbies is big, wait until you see the one we use to pick up Grün. Even the Bunker won't be safe in the end.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

9S gets a 10 for dramatic entrance, but loses 8 points for failing to stick the landing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

9S gets a 10 for dramatic entrance, but loses 8 points for failing to stick the landing.

I don't know, I'd give him a nines out of ten

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Just call him Nines-Eleven! :v:

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Arkannoyed posted:

Just call him Nines-Eleven! :v:

Android fuel can't melt steel Machines.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

apocalypticCritic posted:

Android fuel can't melt steel Machines.

If you review the events of the prologue, I think you'll find that it absolutely can.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Show the bestiary entry for the rampaging stubbies.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Kassad posted:

There's going to be an ending that crosses over with one of the Saints Row IV endings and its Kinzie yelling that they wrecked 27 flight units. She's not putting up with that poo poo!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nanomachines, son

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jet Jaguar posted:

There's going to be an ending that crosses over with one of the Saints Row IV endings and its Kinzie yelling that they wrecked 27 flight units. She's not putting up with that poo poo!

Now I want Yoko Taro to make a Saints Row game. Can't be worse than Gat Outta Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VolticSurge posted:

Now I want Yoko Taro to make a Saints Row game. Can't be worse than Gat Outta Hell.
That trailer was extremely misleading.

• Locked thread