Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do have a soft spot for a final boss fight where you slowly depower as you and the boss throw everything at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Skylight posted:

If this were a normal JRPG, that'd be a solid maybe. Since this is :yokotaro:, though, I'm pretty sure he's about to get a stab to the motherboard. And then the processors. And then everything else, just 'cause. (I could be wrong about the exact order of stabbing, though...)

I'm picturing something like Zero and Five in Drakengard 3, with Zero2B repeatedly stabbing FiveEve while Mikhail9S looks on in horror.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maybe it'll be more like Three and the pod'll just eat him.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

i am tim! posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed similarities between Eve and the Shadowlord's final stage. Also, did anybody else feel like Eve's gigantic trash-hands attack reminded them of Nier's cutscene-powered Dark Hand attacks? I know "GIGANTIC SPELL HANDS" aren't uncommon in this kind of media, but that stuck out to me for some reason.

Actually, those arms reminded me more of Asura's Wrath than anything else. As for notes on PROTOTYPE, I actually had an idea for a trilogy of downloadable interquels, plus PROTOTYP3 that could rerail Alex, and bring the saga to a proper close if anyone's interested in hearing.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Toobs, he only broke one of the dozen or so assorted Sharp Things you seem to carry around with you.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm worried for 9S :ohdear:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dzhay posted:

Toobs, he only broke one of the dozen or so assorted Sharp Things you seem to carry around with you.

I think what he broke was HowToSword.exe.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I think what he broke was HowToSword.exe.

The thing that lets the androids flip around like ninjas, teleport swords, and perform sick combos

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXIV: Flowers For Machines

VIDEO: CLICK HERE TO WATCH ENDING A!

Music: The Sound of the End (Quiet)

Alright. Eve has been defeated and the rampaging machine lifeform crisis in is presumably over. All that’s left is figuring out what to do about this jerk...

Perhaps now that he’s chilled the gently caress out 2B can initiate a dialogue with the defacto leader of the machine lifeforms and begin talks to broker a peace between the two factions in order to end this endless proxy war between the two races. It’d be gr—

Music: ENDS

...Or she could just stab him in the head. I guess that works too. Problem solved. You know... unless like three dozen machines decide to cluster together again and poop out another Sephiroth. Or god help us, they get creative and out comes a Seymour. The darkest of timelines.

2B drops her broken sword and takes some deep breaths before saying the absolute worst thing you can say in any situation where it appears all matters have been settled...

GodDAMMIT, 2B! You should know better than this! That is the last thing you should ever say before the credits rolling. I know you’re an idiot combat model android, but surely someone stumbled upon a collection of human records where someone declared things to finally be over and then...

Aaaaaarrrrhhhhhaaaa!

And look what happens right on cue. Nice going, 2B. Sheesh... This is all on you now. You’re lucky Eve doesn’t resurrect as a giant tentacled blob anus while we’re at it. :argh:

...Is that bad? That’s probably bad, right?

9S!

Nearby machine wreckage begins drifting towards 9S’s body. It’d probably be exceedingly inconvenient to be magnetized in a world where billions of metal trash can dudes have been destroyed and left littered bits of scrap metal all over the place. That’d get old REAL fast.

New Music: Vague Hope
(You should listen to this.)

No...
It’s okay. I can always reload my backup data from the Bunker.
But you’ll lose you. The you that exists at this very moment.
Guess so... But we can’t... upload this corrupted data to the Bunker, so...
9S...

The outer layer of 9S’s skin begins peeling away thanks to the virus. That seems unpleasant and 9S sounds like he’s not having a very good time. Sorry, no sweet Cult of the Watchers tats for you, kiddo...

Please, 2B... I want you...

...to do this... for me...

Welp. Things don’t look good for 9S. Guess we’ve got to wipe off that broken sword and Old Yeller this poor dingus robot kid.

Alright. Let’s not make this anymore awkward than it has to be. Nobody likes doing a mercy killi—

...Oh. You’re gonna do him like that, huh? You... you sure you don’t want to go grab your sword? I know it’s gooey with Eve brain matter, but this seems kinda...

...Kinda brutal.

Music: ENDS

*begins crying*

It always... ends like this... *sobs*

2B’s mourning over 9S’s body is interrupted by a beeping in front of her.

One of the machine heads is flashing its eyes in rhythm and emitting a steady beep. It’s probably calling for some help. It just saw 2B stab his leader in the back of his skull and then slowly choke a fellow android to death. I’d wanna bounce too.

There’s still... some alive...?

2B is understandably upset after having to off 9S and channels her inner Caim. However...

That’s far from the only machine that’s started beeping and flashing its eyes.

Is this... a message?

New Music: Hope and Rebirth

The data transmissions... They’re resonating with each other...

...Now is THAT a good thing? I mean they’re all flashing the green eye lights. That usually means nice boys. It just occurred to me the machine’s eyes are following traffic light configurations with green being nice, yellow being mild indifference, and red being spicy bad news.

2B seems rather confused at this turn of events. 9S usually figures out this kind of weird nerd stuff and well... she finds herself a touch lost given recent unfortunate events.

However, there’s no time for understanding what the machines are doing as one of ‘em seems to still be active and directly behind 2B.

Uuuuuuggh... Uhhhh...

Who are...?
It looks like... I left my personal data in the machine side of things. Next thing I knew, my sense of self was regenerated over the surrounding network. Having multiple selves fused together like this is a pretty valuable experience, so I wanted to record it—but I couldn’t access any storage areas yet...
*drops sword and walks towards Machine 9S*
...so I just multi-plexed it over the memories of some nearby enemies, so that when I returned to my own body, I—

9S...
*lowers head* I’m glad you’re okay...

Yeah...

New Music: Weight of the World (English Version)
(Listening to this is mandatory.)

I feel like I'm losing hope
In my body and my soul
And the sky, it looks so ominous

And as time comes to a halt
Silence starts to overflow
My cries are inconspicuous

Tell me God, are you punishing me?
Is this the price I'm paying for my past mistakes?

This is my redemption song
I need you more than ever right now
Can you hear me now?

Cause we're going to shout it loud
Even if our words seem meaningless
It's like I'm carrying the weight of the world

I wish that someway, somehow
That I could save every one of us
But the truth is that I'm only one girl

Maybe if I keep believing my dreams will come to life
Come to life...

After all the laughter fades
Signs of life all washed away
I can still, still feel a gentle breeze

No matter how hard I pray
Signs of warning still remain
And life has become my enemy

Tell me God, are you punishing me?
Is this the price I'm paying for my past mistakes?

This is my redemption song
I need you more than ever right now
Can you hear me now?

Come to life...

Still, we're going to shout it loud

I hope that someway, somehow

Come to life...

Square-Enix has something to say to us following the credit roll. Let’s take a look...

Look, don’t quit yet. It’s weird. I know. But go load up the game again. That was only like... 40% of the overall narrative. Please don’t quit now. You have not finished this game yet!

So that was Ending A of NieR: Automata. The first proper ending we’ve gotten. And it went... surprisingly well for a Yoko Taro directed narrative. Other than a bunch of redshirt androids, nobody we care about died. I mean 9S did get strangled to death... but he immediately got better and is now the Iron Giant or some poo poo. It could be worse. He could have been turned into a pigeon or a skeleton orb.

Adam and Eve are both dead for good and that mess with the rampaging flesh eating machines is sorted out. We could probably just stop right here and while it isn’t the most satisfying of narratives, it is something resembling a happy ending for most folks involved. We all know it’s all going to be downhill from here for everyone involved. We all know this is going to be a bad time for everyone...

But... that Square-Enix PR Team did give us that nice message about how we should continue to witness the full NieR: Automata experience so...

Tune in next time as a new journey begins...

Video: NieR Automata Ending A
(It’s the first proper ending. Yes, you should watch this, ya dingus!)

2B Render – Voted YoRHa class of 11943’s “Most Likely to Stab the Machine Lifeform’s Command to Death”

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 14, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Quoting this for truth.

I don't know about Id, but this is probably my favorite track out of the entire DrakenNier franchise, and that is not a statement I make lightly.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Dr. Snark posted:

Quoting this for truth.

I don't know about Id, but this is probably my favorite track out of the entire DrakenNier franchise, and that is not a statement I make lightly.

Agreed, it's easily one of my favorite songs in these games. In a game/series/whatever with fantastic music, this one really stands out to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's going to be interesting to see where the upcoming paths take things. This is the first time a Drakenier's first ending has felt genuinely incomplete, so there's got to be a lot to them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Dr. Snark posted:

The music and performance are both amazing, but I greatly prefer the Japanese version. No, it's not just a :japan: thing; there's a specific reason which is probably spoilery, but we'll get back to it when we wrap up Route B.

In the meantime, the name of this song is, like so much else in this drat game, possibly yet another reference to existentialism; Jean-Paul Sartre (the real one, not the robo-jerk) wrote, in Being and Consciousness:

quote:

I must be without remorse or regrets as I am without excuse; for from the instant of my upsurge into being, I carry the weight of the world by myself alone without help, engaged in a world for which I bear the whole responsibility without being able, whatever I do, to tear myself away from this responsibility for an instant.

Of course, "the weight of the world" is an older phrase than that. But because this game is this game, and the Japanese title of the song is also an existentalist reference, I'm inclined to think this is what they were going for...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh sure 9S, machines are fine now you are one.

Also yeah go listen to that track even if you don't usually, it's a good 'un.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: Weight of the World (English Version)[/url] (Listening to this is mandatory.)

Yes.
Following previous posters, either you listen to this track, or you are leaving this LP, for it is meaningless for you.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

McDragon posted:

Oh sure 9S, machines are fine now you are one.

Also yeah go listen to that track even if you don't usually, it's a good 'un.

Eh, they're "fine" now that he's overwritten the residual data of their deceased minds!

Besides, he'll just self-destruct as soon as he's got a decent bandwidth connection. Ultimately Bad Machines were destroyed and thus there is no inconsistency at all in an ageless war machine built to destroy all threats to humanity despising other ageless war machines built to destroy and hellbent on extermination of all who stand against them!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dr. Snark posted:

Quoting this for truth.

I think I may still give a slight edge to this silence is mine, but this one is right behind it. The funny thing is, I think the English one is my least favorite version of it despite still loving it dearly. Don't want to elaborate until we hear the others though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was such a tender strangulation. Classic Drakenier, really.

And the androids look pretty odd without their blindfolds. It kinda heightens the feeling that this part is out there a little bit.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
9S is into some pretty kinky stuff...

That aside, Weight of the World is absolutely great, and if you don't listen to it you're literally worse than Machine Hitler. ...I guess that'd be Eve?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Wait...that was actually a happy ending of sorts!

...that's not right.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Why does strangling an android even kill him???

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm just 37 seconds into the video and this dumb lady has just said 'Finally, it's over' in ending A of a Yoko Taro game. :allears:

Okay, now back to seeing how bad she regrets that...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dr. Snark posted:

Quoting this for truth.

Still gotta be Kaine ~ Escape for me, but it's most definitely up there.

Anyway, ending A is nice. But...

Have you forgotten something?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This was not the first time it had occurred, but it was the first time the game's use of music and yanking it away really hammered home a moment.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Endings Achieved:
flowers for mAchines
a mountain too High
no I in team
bad Judgment
aji wo Kutta
Lone wolf
faTal error
debUnked
broken Wings

I admire the confidence in doing away with Adam and Eve this early on. I thought when they were introduced that they would stick around the whole game.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

END ME SCOOB posted:

This was not the first time it had occurred, but it was the first time the game's use of music and yanking it away really hammered home a moment.

Yeah for those of you who didn't watch the highlight reel (why would you do this!?) the music completely stops the instant 2B stabs Eve. It really helps sell the the idea that something big is going/about to go down.

Also geez 2B that was a, uh, interesting position you took when you were choking out 9S back there.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 29, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That...went surprisingly okay?

The Dark Id posted:

So that was Ending A of NieR: Automata. The first proper ending we’ve gotten. And it went... surprisingly well for a Yoko Taro directed narrative. Other than a bunch of redshirt androids, nobody we care about died. I mean 9S did get strangled to death... but he immediately got better and is now the Iron Giant or some poo poo. It could be worse. He could have been turned into a pigeon or a skeleton orb.

Adam and Eve are both dead for good and that mess with the rampaging flesh eating machines is sorted out. We could probably just stop right here and while it isn’t the most satisfying of narratives, it is something resembling a happy ending for most folks involved. We all know it’s all going to be downhill from here for everyone involved. We all know this is going to be a bad time for everyone...

Is this where Yoko's hatred of completionists comes in? This is some Undertale level cruelty. Everything is happy(ish) and good(ish), to go on will likely only cause increasing misery for characters we care about. And yet...must..keep going... It's such a good way to dick over players, convincing them to voluntarily dick over themselves.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe this time he decided to surprise everyone by making each ending successively happier.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
We're already well into the genocide run, ending W was the true pacifist run

(That was a joke not spoilers, I'm not much farther in the game than this)

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
Has anyone ever talked about why the ending title homages Flowers for Algernon?

Sindai posted:

Because it's an intimate/dramatic way to kill someone.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Woodbeam posted:

Has anyone ever talked about why the ending title homages Flowers for Algernon?

It seems thematically appropriate, I think. Machines on the Network gained sentience (or more sentience) through Adam and Eve... and then lost it (maybe?) when those machines died.

I haven't actually read Flowers for Algernon, though I know the basic plot, so there may be more thematic links. Or it may be completely weird and random.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

They also seem to have fully functionnal tear ducts for some reason.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
"Flowers for the Broken Spirit" is one of the endings of Drakengard. Maybe it's just that.

e: More on point, there are some parallels to Flowers for Algernon. Mainly how the machine lifeforms are treated as nothing so much as obstacles to be wiped out, until they start showing signs of increased mental capacity. Much like how Charlie is treated in Flowers for Algernon prior to his intellectual augmentation. And yet, he was human all along and continues to be so - so what does that tell us about the machine lifeforms?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 29, 2017

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Sindai posted:

think it has something to do with breaking his neck
which would kill an android if their bodies where design to function similar to a human's

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Also geez 2B that was a, uh, interesting position you took when you were choking out 9S back there.

There is absolutely no subtext in 2B and 9S's relationship. None whatsoever.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

Besides, he'll just self-destruct as soon as he's got a decent bandwidth connection.

I mean, 9S was corrupted and was unwilling to upload his data to the bunker because of that. Then he uploaded his data to a bunch of machines. Frankly it doesn't seem like that would do anything to uncorrupt it, and would in fact do literally the opposite. So it certainly seems like he's a machine boy now.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The first time I saw 2B killing 9S was when my brother was playing I walked in for about 5 seconds with zero context of the game (except :yokotaro:), so up until I got to here on my own play through I thought they boned in that scene.

Anyway, Weight of the World is permanently stuck in my head to this day, I'm okay with this.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 29, 2017

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Aumanor posted:

They also seem to have fully functionnal tear ducts for some reason.

The tears seemed to be very viscous. So I thought they were oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
“Tell me God, are you punishing me?
Is this the price I’m paying for my past mistakes?”

This line—and the way it is delivered—is a heavy hitter.

• Locked thread