Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DanielCross posted:

The information he's retrieving just happens to be "How quickly and violently can I make this schmuck's head explode?"

With certain chips, the answer is "so violently that everyone else dies too".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zerilan posted:

It's amazing how well they manage to have like pretty much every track transition in and out of chiptune.

The fact that his playstyle relies a good deal on playing the hacking minigame tends to make opinions of this route pretty divisive, since you lose the cool looking heavy attacks for it.

I love how the dialogue mentions that he's not built for combat, then when playable he has something that brokenly strong to kill poo poo with.

You can still heavy-attack by dashing and then attacking! :eng101:
But when you go back to 2B in a new game you end up dashing like an idiot to do heavy attacks because you forgot about the dedicated button. :shobon:

E: worded a bit better for Maxwell Adams' sake.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 4, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

9S is the coolest hacker around. He's so cool he doesn't even have to wear shades or say "I'm in." when he hacks something to be cool.

Which is good because I think 9S trying to be cool intentionally might be an exercise in futility. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he is kind of an enormous dork.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Geemer posted:

You can still heavy-attack by dashing and then attacking! :eng101:
But when you do a thing a thing a do

shhhhhh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Repo Man posted:

I use Imgur for image hosting. Just make an account and upload it there. If your image is huge when linking it from imgur to here, change the img tag to timg to not break tables.

I don't think you even need to make an account to upload a picture. Either you don't or you just don't need to log in to put one on.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think you even need to make an account to upload a picture. Either you don't or you just don't need to log in to put one on.

If you make an account your pictures supposedly won't get deleted after x months of inactivity and you can delete them at a later date without having to keep track of deletion links.

I changed the wording a bit to make it more clear what I'm talking about.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Dark Id posted:

9S’s hacking is not limited to special targets. Our android boy is capable of hacking any mechanical enemy or system he comes across. Mechanical being the operative word. No matter how hard he tries, 9S sadly cannot hack a moose.

This is why Androids should be programmed to understand the concept of Lifehacks.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXVIII: Speedrun

My name’s 9S. I’m here to provide support.
Copy that.

No. Just another defensive system.

I’ve got a flight unit, so I’ll take a look around the perimeter.
All right. I’ll work my way inside from the ground.

Music: Alien Manifestation

Back we go into this same hole for a third time. If you were wondering what 9S was doing the entire time 2B was fighting her way through the tutorial Abandoned Factory, it turns out he was... just shooting dudes in this tunnel. That’s it. That's his side of this story. :geno:

After a bit of horsing around with interchangeable Small Flyer enemies, 9S decides to contact 2B to break up the monotony of another shmup section.

What is it?
I was going to send you the map data I collected earlier.
Do it. <disconnects>

9S decides to phone up 2B again all of three seconds later.

You know, ma’am. I’m glad you’re here.
Why?
Scanners like me mostly work alone. Scouting ‘out enemy lines and all that? I don’t usually get a partner. It’s kind of fun!
...Emotions are prohibited.
EEK! S-sorry, ma’am!
And another thing... Stop calling me “ma’am”.
Huh?
It’s unnecessary.
All right, then. 2B it is!

Pay no attention that in 2B’s scenario she ran about a mile and had a mandatory locked room combat against a small horde of machines and unlocked a shortcut to the early area in the time between those two conversations. The non-playable version of 2B is speedrunning this poo poo. She probably played through the demo a bunch and all of this is old news. In fact, it’s all of about fifteen seconds before 2B radios 9S back. Which means she’s sped through another handful of rooms without stopping for anything.

I guess humans used to use it as a weapons factory. But now it’s just crawling with machines. The enemy seems to have repurposed the facility to increase their overall machine production.
So if we don’t destroy it, they’ll just keep coming.
Lot 33 to Lot 20. Materials on-route. Work Party B to Material...
...What?
It’s just accessing random nonsensical data from the old world. There’s no actual meaning behind anything machines do.
Thank you for another day of hard work. Please *crackle* for a job well done.

The factory wide intercom transmission happens about two seconds after this conversation ends, meaning 2B has made it through another locked room gauntlet and is already half-way through the smelter pits area in about two minutes total time. She’s definitely on course for a world record time if she keeps this up.

The next conversation happens about 10-15 seconds later which is past the locked room with the Shielded enemy tutorial.

Maybe they... I dunno. Moved it somewhere?

And 2B is already outside fixing to go fight the dual-Marx units all of five seconds later. She has to have found some exploit to skip past loading zones at this point. It’s getting absurd.

You mean the birds? Yeah, there’s more plants and animals here than there used to be. Probably because the environment’s changed.
There should be another facility across that bridge. It’s a bit of a hike, but should we check it out?
It’s not like Command to get a location wrong. I guess even they get bad intel from time to time, huh?
Hmm. I wouldn’t bet on that.

9S is left with going through the motions of shooting a few more barely threatening machines before he receives one final transmission from 2B.

*static* <transmission ends>
2B? Wh-what’s going on!?
She appears to be engaging the target enemy.
We have to help her! Let’s go!

And now 2B and 9S’s prologue paths merge once again. I’m not sure if a shmup section with an audio play of all the radio transmissions dumped one after another is the best first impression for a second playthrough of the game...

Music: The Sound of the End (Instrumental)

2B has already managed to defeat the twin Marx boss fight in the span of less than 20 seconds. She is really just busting rear end through this prologue. If anything, 9S is just going to slow her down at this rate.

This is the target. I’m going to destroy it.
Uh... right. I’ll provide support!

Our initial support is limit to just plinking away at the Engels with our Flight Unit. We’ve certainly got more DPS than 2B is outputting down on the ground. But it’s not making much of an overall dent. We’ve got to hold out a few seconds until Pod 153 chimes in...

Software vulnerabilities and penetration path detected. Displaying on HUD.
I’ll hack this thing and weaken it!

New Music: The Sound of the End (Chiptune)

...I’m in! Yep. 9S can hack Engels. Indeed, hacking spots have appeared on both its shoulders and its head. We need to hack ‘em all into submission to get anywhere in this battle.

Funny, I don’t recall Engels violently exploding several times while 2B was fighting it from the bridge. It also seems to have skipped the phase where it periodically dove underwater and shattered portions of the bridge beneath 2B.

Once the two shoulders and head hacking spots are dealt with, a fourth hacking hotspot appears on Engel’s chest. Let’s get all up in Engel’s creamy chocolate center.

Here we’re treated with a new configuration of the hacking mini-game. We now have eight rival cursors, all tracking 9S’s avatar and attempting to zap it with energy pellets while the usual black orb we need to destroy is shielded. We need to destroy all of the enemy units before the shield will be deactivated and we can destroy the core to complete the hack. All of ‘em go down in a single successful hit.

That center cylinder is a bomb. I’m not sure why there is a digital bomb in the programming subroutines of this machine. Only 9S can detonate it and it will destroy all enemy avatars within the very generous explosion range. I’m not going to complain about its existence.

The core sphere this time around spits out a much more aggressive stream of energy orbs and will slowly track 9S’s position around the field. Orange orbs can be destroyed by our laser fire but the purple orbs cannot. We just need to evade those. Which can get tricky as more complex configurations of this type of challenge appear. But it’s never that bad. Apparently many people didn't realize you can still hit the enemy lock-on button while hacking to make circle strafing these sorts of final targets WAY easier. It's true. Unless you're playing on hard, lock-on still works during hacks!

In any case, as soon as the final enemy craft is destroyed, the core sphere’s shields are deactivated and 9S is free to destroy it just like every other hack. A successful hack here ends this phase of the fight.

Music: ENDS

From here, everything goes just as it did in our first run of the prologue. Which if you’ll recall involved 9S hacking some missiles and blowing them back in the Engels unit’s face. That was pretty rad. 9S seemed like a powerful ally.

...And then he almost immediately got completely owned and pissed away any notion that he might be kind of a badass.

In 2B’s scenario, Engels was temporarily deactivated. This gave her time to rush up to the top of the machine and come to the owned 9S’s aid before he completely shriveled up into a corncob.

...But what was 9S up to before 2B ran for like... thirty seconds and climbed a ladder to two to get to him? Surprisingly enough, he wasn’t muttering about how he wasn’t owned. That’s clearly a falsehood. 9S has been extremely owned. I’m not even sure where his arm or leg landed. I’m surprised they didn’t pop off again when he ate poo poo doing that kamikaze attack on Boku-Shi.

No... instead 9S was...

All Sound: ENDS

(Redeploying in offline mode.)

(Recovery sector. Eliminate access impairments to all blocks.)

We’ve got a three minute timer and it seems like the game wants us to do something or other. But it’s really vague about it. “Eliminate access impairments to all blocks?” The hell does that even mean? Like memory card blocks? Nobody uses those anymore. Those were the dark ages of video game storage mediums. Surely androids have moved past that. No, let’s just think on this a bit...

(Alert: Vital signs declining.)

Anyone ever have one of those third party PS1 memory cards with three times the storage? You know, the ones that would inevitably corrupt and erase everything within like a year. But man, it was nice to not have to juggle 15 blocks of memory. You could actually use the camera in Metal Gear Solid and see those ghost pictures of the developers! It was wild!

Vital signs entering sub-optimal territory.

The PS2 moved away from blocks to actual normal memory space measurement. Which only drove home how bullshit the proprietary PS2 memory card size was... and that lasted up to this day with the Vita. I think the Vita is still kinda alive, right? Somehow... But then the GameCube and Xbox 1... err... original? Xbox One is such a stupid loving name. Goddamn. But those two consoles had blocks as its memory unit of measurement. That was weird. Especially with the Xbox OG since that had a few gigs of hard drive space that would never get filled in consoles from that generation normally so I du—

Unit 9S death confirmed.

Wait, poo poo... Was I supposed to be doing something? Crud. My bad. Well, just load me at a checkpoint and I’ll get right on th—wait. Why am I back at the title screen again...? FFFFffffff—!

Video: Episode 68 Highlight Reel

Flight Unit Concept Art – They really need to fasten androids into these things better.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 6, 2017

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
This thread's icon suddenly makes a lot more sense. :v:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

That center cylinder is a bomb. I’m not sure why there is a digital bomb in the programming subroutines of this machine.

You've never heard of a logic bomb?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I was hoping you'd stick to your guns and do this ending here when you have to redo the whole prologue shump (and bucket stubby) again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Dark Id posted:

Unless you're playing on hard, lock-on still works during hacks!
oh my god. I've played through the game 1.8 times :negative:

But then again at this point I'm such a dual-stick pro it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I don't think that they should fasten androids into flight units better. All evidence shows that flight units are made out of paper mache and androids are much more resilient. 2Bs first encounter with a door shows that.

I think that maybe they should fasten flight units to themselves better. Maybe make it so they don't disintegrate when ramming doors.

9S does actually have different attack patterns than 2B. For example, when she's doing air attacks her heavy attack knocks the enemy to the ground. 9S doesn't have a heavy attack, but after a couple of light attacks in the air he knocks the enemy to the ground anyway.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Apparently many people didn't realize you can still hit the enemy lock-on button while hacking to make circle strafing these sorts of final targets WAY easier. It's true. Unless you're playing on hard, lock-on still works during hacks!

oh goddammit :doh:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

U-DO Burger posted:

oh goddammit :doh:

Not as helpful as it seems, because lock-on doesn't lead shots. It'll actively gently caress you on some targets.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, lock-on is good for some but bad for others.

Also I read some cool article by one of the composers about how they did the chiptune malarkey somewhere but it might be a bit spoilery for now and also I lost where it was. Worth a read though

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Why did 9S think he would find the giant robot they were looking for in a bunch of ventilation shafts? That was a dumb place to scout.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

FrankZP posted:

(Unless you get one of the creeptastic bad trip effects instead; those work "fine" everywhere as far as I can tell.)

The what? Are you talking about the thing where the screen goes all pixelated?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The timing on some of those extra endings seems a bit trollish. Are all the other letters needed for ending D or is it an all weapons unlock as usual?
Was the usual simply all the weapons or all weapons fully upgraded?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Omobono posted:

The timing on some of those extra endings seems a bit trollish. Are all the other letters needed for ending D or is it an all weapons unlock as usual?
Was the usual simply all the weapons or all weapons fully upgraded?

There are no bullshit requirements for the true ending this time. That's only for jokes endings.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Omobono posted:

The timing on some of those extra endings seems a bit trollish.

...You do know that this is a DrakeNier game, right? This poo poo is par for the course.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Snark posted:

...You do know that this is a DrakeNier game, right? This poo poo is par for the course.

My statement was simply meant as a neutral observation, not amazement or something else, and I was curious how deep the trolling went in this particular case.

I have reposted the old Trolled by Cavia image a couple times; after all, being trolled is a very important part of the DrakeNier experience.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Man the rest of YoRHa really must stuck if they can't stand up to the might of like four to six Engles without 9S backing them up.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Man the rest of YoRHa really must stuck if they can't stand up to the might of like four to six Engles without 9S backing them up.

I mean, we saw how effective they were in the Grun fight, aka not at all.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Well, it was stated that 9S models are the best around. Maybe the other ones are all real behind on their updates. Probably not even using a full allotment of chips.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

While I never figured out that lock-on worked while hacking, by the time I finished the game I was so good with dual-stick that I felt like a goddamn wizard playing 9S.

Oddly, it also went a long way towards explaining his problematic opinions, because as we all know wizards have know sense of right and wrong!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Well, it was stated that 9S models are the best around. Maybe the other ones are all real behind on their updates. Probably not even using a full allotment of chips.

I see 9S models are still not known for their modesty.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

FrickenMoron posted:

Wretched weaponry is still the best track in the series. The English platinum games yt channel also posted how the transition into chiptune versions work for tracks that don't have their separate renditions. It's basically a fancy filter.

I have a really hard time choosing, but for this game it's either Wretched Weaponry or Possessed by a Disease for me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

End of the Unknown/THIS CANNOT BECOME AS GOD or whatever the song is called.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The obvious reason for 2B's speedrun is that this is a newgame+ and she's still at the level and equipment you finished Route A at. The level 3 stubbies in the prologue don't slow her down at all.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Come to think about it, why would the game doesn't give any save point on the prologue? Heck, the Underground Factory (Become as Gods) has 2 save points and still allow you to respawn eventhough that place is one time dungeon.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

That is some bullshit.

Don't worry 9S may not be able to remote hack into a moose or other living creature but he sure as hell can manually hack the crap out of some things if need be.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Come to think about it, why would the game doesn't give any save point on the prologue?
By design, a Save Point is the game saying 'you can now put down this game and go away for a bit and pick up where you left off.'

By design, the Prologue of the game is where it hooks you so that you'll want to keep playing it and any reasonable break in that initial experience would be fulfilled by using a pause button.

Putting a collectable in the Prologue that forces you to replay it is just the Completionist Spite that we all sort of expect and yet continued to be surprised about in Yoko Taro games :allears:

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Crasical posted:

The what? Are you talking about the thing where the screen goes all pixelated?

Nah, if that's happening, you know you have one of a variety of "normal" trips. But seen two different effects triggering randomly. One where the screen mostly remains the same except with some flickering artifacts around the edge, while the music randomly becomes slower or faster without switching to chiptunes. And another where the screen gets a negative filter and the sound kinda just distorts in a way that I find difficult to describe and also impossibly creepy.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were other rare effects but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

FrankZP posted:

Nah, if that's happening, you know you have one of a variety of "normal" trips. But seen two different effects triggering randomly. One where the screen mostly remains the same except with some flickering artifacts around the edge, while the music randomly becomes slower or faster without switching to chiptunes. And another where the screen gets a negative filter and the sound kinda just distorts in a way that I find difficult to describe and also impossibly creepy.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were other rare effects but those are the ones I'm aware of.

I'm not sure how many drug effects there are (not that I've played around with it much) but it seems to be a random grab bag applied each time. The music becomes chiptunes, changes speed or makes a weird looped tape rewinding sound, the sides of the screen flicker and glitch or sometimes glitches orbit the player, the screen distorts in a CRT monitor effect, gets pixelated, or adds a color overlay that makes the game render in grayscale (or all of the above). One time it made 9S' attack glitch out and he'd only throw his sword instead of swinging it. Plus there are the randomized attack bonuses or whatever.

I tried checking if there were more on youtube but nobody's done a compilation or anything. I wouldn't put it past this game to make a 1/100 chance of some bizzare poo poo most players will never see.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

TheDarkId posted:

Apparently many people didn't realize you can still hit the enemy lock-on button while hacking to make circle strafing these sorts of final targets WAY easier.

Son of a bitch.

At least I got halfway decent at twin-stick shooters over the course of Route B?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
those loving third party memory cards :suicide:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!