Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Dark Id posted:

A new page gets a new update.

:bsdsnype:

Jen X fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXIX: Nice

Alright. We’re gonna get through this prologue... It’s gonna happen! Take three! Yes, I had to play through everything we saw in the previous update, including the bucket brother segment, again. No, there’s no way to speed any part of it along because it’s all on-rails shooters or requires all enemies to be destroyed to progress. Yes, that’s a dick move sticking that ending there. Let’s just jump back to where we were and I can lament the loss of that 25 minutes of time in private.

We return to 9S in a digital purgatory trying to reboot his systems. There’s no sound here until otherwise noted.

Redeploying in offline mode.

Recovery sector. Eliminate access impairment to all blocks.

We’ve got three minutes to sort 9S out before he dies, as we saw in the previous update. We can maneuver our digital avatar in this virtual space the same as in the hacking mini-games.

Traveling north a tad bit will reveal a trio of nodes which 9S can interact with to begin repairing his functions.

This involves the complex task of rerouting several subroutines in 9S’s chasse to facilitate damaged sectors of his consciousness via the transfers of multiple proprietary storage nodes’ duties into an emergency over—oh wait. No. Scratch all that. We just hold Y/Triangle for a second while our cursor hovers over the squares.

To the northeast of the digital realm, we find similar emergency backup nodes for 9S’s auditory functions.

Activating each of these nodes...

...gradually restores 9S, and by extension increases our...

...game audio to normal levels. Ah. That’s much better.

...S... 9S...
9S!

9S! I’ve got to repair him!
Barf!
Pod, get me some health potions. Medium or large sized ones! He’s too weak to chain chug multiple small ones in a row.

Inadvisable. To use a human idiom from the old world, YoRHa Unit 9S has been “hella owned”. Proposal: Initiate Old Yeller Protoc—
Shut up! Just do what I say! I’ll go find his leg and his arm and we’ll tape them back on and he’ll be just fine! Got it!?

*coughs blood* 2B... Just go...
You shut up too!
We... we’re sold... iers... I’ll just... respawn at the last... control point... go... before we lose... too many flags...

Usage rights transferred from 9S to 2B. Requesting acknowledgement.
Unit 9S listed as OIC—Owned in Combat. Please confirm system overrides.

...All right.

Pod, did you just ignite the flight unit thrusters right into 9S?!
Affirmative.
Why!?
Beginning flight unit combat operation.
Wai—

Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

En...gaging...

For this segment we’re playing as Pod 153 who is now tasked with defending the heavily injured 9S against an approaching mob of Stubbies and Small Flyers trying to pick off an easy android kill. The Pod is limited to basic Pod fire (we can switch between Gatling/Missile/Laser still) the battlefield is limited to the top of the Engels. Although the best place to stay is by 9S’s side since the machines are all ignoring the Pod in favor of him.

If you’re wondering, 9S’s death at any point here results in the same ending as the previous update. Thanks to our chip configuration, it’s far easier to just wait out a three minute timer instant kill than it is to have a bunch of low grade machines murder him.

2B... I found a weakness in the target... Hacking in... to provide support.

Music: The Sound of the End (Chiptune)

Remember 9S did do some hacking up here to allow 2B to rip off the Engels’s arm and start slapping it around with it. Here we do the basic hacking to set that up which is... much less impressive or cool. Such is the life story of 9S.

Use your Pod... Sh-should be able to... take it over...
I told you to shut up!

Sorry, 2B. 9S will shut up now. However, you did not tell him to stop hacking everything in sight. 9S would try hacking a seagull if it flew in front of him right now.

Music: The Sound of the End (Quiet)

Affirmative.

Behavior table adjusted. Balance controls overridden. Enemy unit subjugation complete.

Well that’s going to be rad. I mean we already saw it. It was rad! However, we’re playing as 9S so...

...Continuing support.

It’s back to just plinking away at a bunch of Stubbies for us. Well, at least 9S doesn’t need to do rolling QTEs to avoid 2B slamming Engels’s own arm into itself. So there’s that, I suppose. Indeed, it’s kind of nice that NieR Automata lacks any sort of QTEs whatsoever.

Alert: Memory data for unit 9S has not yet been updated.
It’s fine... Upload 2B’s data first.
Affirmative.

Everything from here on out progresses the same way. In case you need a cliff notes versions...

Music: ENDS

...Ouch.

2B! Are you... okay?
...Why are androids so bad at sticking the landing out? Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle... and wonder if we’ll ever have the chance to kill him.
So is that a “yes” or...?

Heheh... So did you hit it with the arm...? I thought that would be... pretty cool, huh 2B. Shame I couldn’t... see it... Bad view from... back here...
Contact Command. Request assistance.
No... I think we might be boned...

And as you look to the horizon... Not a cloud! But then stormy weather's caught you cold. Seems like it crept up out of nowhere all around you it's not quite what you foretold!

YOU’LL NEVER SEE IT COOOOOOMIN’!
...Well poo poo.

I don’t imagine... this is going to end well...
Nope...
You want to... touch black boxes?
...Excuse me?!
Ergh...

Music: Widespread Illness (Vocal)

I-I meant triggering our black boxes... the Shade cube looking things...? What were you thinking...?
Something else, but I don’t know if a death pact is much better...
You'll see that my mind is too fast for eyes! YOU’RE DOOOOOOOONE IIIIIIIINNN!

*sigh* Fine... Let’s do this...

Request accepted. RIP.
Proposal: I’m out.
Affirmation: Same.
2B, it was an honor to fight with you. Best five minutes... of combat I’ve ever had... Truly.
The honor was mine. I did most of the work...

And everyone dies again as the opening act of Route B concludes. Tune in next time as 9S and 2B respawn in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace as NieR: Automata Route B err... largely gets mostly identical to Route A soon. Mostly...

Video: Episode 69 Highlight Reel

9S Concept Designs – I’m kinda disappointed we didn’t get maximum dweeb 9S rolling up his sleeves and popping his collar trying to look cool.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 6, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So regular pants were never in the running for 9S? Too bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I kind of like 3 because it's closer to 2B's outfit.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Pants are forbidden, 9S.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The humans who designed 9S's shorts were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
When can we expect the Persona 5 LP?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm kinda glad we didn't get short shorts 9S.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HellCopter posted:

The humans who designed 9S's shorts were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

the human who designed 9Ss shorts thought they were comfy and easy to wear.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the human who designed 9Ss shorts thought they were comfy and easy to wear.

They were right, drat them.

They were right.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

HellCopter posted:

The machines must grow weak at the sight of android knees, which is why they're all left uncovered and unarmored.

Proposal: Initiate Old Yeller Protoc—
I loved this line.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm ready for the glorious return of italics for those recap segments.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So regular pants were never in the running for 9S? Too bad.

Bro Nier in his chocobo hair phase has the same shorts + boots combo going as 9S. Taro must be a fan of the fashion.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Further complicating the previous gothic lolita fashion issue, the male equivalent of lolita is ouji. Those goofy-looking poofy shorts that 9S wears are a staple of that style.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I have so many emotions about Sailor Suit Variant 9S

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hahahaha Persona 5 joke. I REALLY want you to LP that, Id.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Persona 5 LP Thread
Update CCCXIV: The Third Palace

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

Persona 5 LP Thread
Update CCCXIV: The Third Palace

Geeze, I didn't know Id had taken up speedrunning.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Dark Id posted:

Proposal: I’m out.
Affirmation: Same.

I never thought about it until just now, but it's odd that the pods seem to survive this. Presumably the printing system works for them as well, but it never gets mentioned unlike the android bodies proper. They don't have continuity of personality to worry about, given that there's already three of each pod- why don't we just print a whole bunch of them and counter the machines with our own bit of bullet hell?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Now I'm just imagining stubbies singing Last Surprise as they hop at you.

Mokinokaro posted:

I kind of like 3 because it's closer to 2B's outfit.

Plus it shows off the gams.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
SWATTING (Fortresses of) LIES IN THE MAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I really shouldn't have laughed that hard at the Persona 5 song lyrics

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
This entire update was magnificent. I was giggling like an idiot pretty much the entire time. The P5 song lyrics were pretty high on the 'best joke' shortlist, though.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
If this route is going to have more TDI flavored dialogue to freshen up the stuff we've already seen, then I am definitely looking forward to it.

Episode LXVIII

The Dark Id posted:

Orange orbs can be destroyed by our laser fire by the purple orbs cannot.

I’m not even sure where his arm or leg landed. I’m surprised then didn’t pop off again when he ate poo poo

Episode LXIX

The Dark Id posted:

rerouting several subroutines in 9S’s chasse to facility damaged sectors of his consciousness

Might be lingo that I don't know, but did you mean "facilitate"?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

The Dark Id posted:

Alright. Okay. Got it.

Filing it under: Naw dawg. Ain't gonna happen. Are you time traveling from 1960 and just discovering modern accepted alternate spellings of words and having none of it? :v:

Accepted by who? No dictionary has a definition for "alright." "Alot" is accepted by a lot of people but that's not a word either. Type "alright" into Google and the first thing it will do is correct your spelling. Then it'll bring up tons of links (including the MLA handbook) explaining that "alright" isn't a word and is never acceptable. Try using that in a high school or college essay and you'll get points deducted for spelling. Try publishing a book and your editor will change it to "all right." They'll also change "okay" to "OK."

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. It's an understandable mistake since "already" and "altogether" are words.

Spelling/grammar is fun! ;)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What the gently caress

e: Let's drop the "alright" thing, allright?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 6, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

Accepted by who? No dictionary has a definition for "alright." "Alot" is accepted by a lot of people but that's not a word either. Type "alright" into Google and the first thing it will do is correct your spelling. Then it'll bring up tons of links (including the MLA handbook) explaining that "alright" isn't a word and is never acceptable. Try using that in a high school or college essay and you'll get points deducted for spelling. Try publishing a book and your editor will change it to "all right." They'll also change "okay" to "OK."

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. It's an understandable mistake since "already" and "altogether" are words.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alright

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
This ain't formal essay writing. Alright is alright. Seconding the 'please drop this tangent'.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I really like the contrast this segment has with Route A. In Route A you're hacking and slashing and doing crazy cutscene stuff that's Metal Gear Rising-ish. In Route B you're nearly dead and fending off basic stubbies as you desperately try to find a way to still provide support.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

...! posted:

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

...! posted:

Alright. Will you be okay if we don't listen to you?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

...! posted:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Everyone just chill out and do some fishing.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

2B's speedrunning reminds me of the story split shenanigans in Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. Depending on the path you choose, one character can topple an empire with a small child, a grizzled vet, and a shut-in. Meanwhile your whole party is securing a merchant state.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

...! posted:

Okay.

KamikazePotato posted:

I really like the contrast this segment has with Route A. In Route A you're hacking and slashing and doing crazy cutscene stuff that's Metal Gear Rising-ish. In Route B you're nearly dead and fending off basic stubbies as you desperately try to find a way to still provide support.

I do too, and this is probably a little late to say, but I enjoyed controlling the brother robot at the beginning. Not because it was fun, but it's hard to convey just how laborious and slow controlling a stubby is compared to an android unless you do it yourself. It's a good way to show how OP YoRHa androids are in comparison with about a minute or so of play time.

I just really like the technique being used re: putting yourself in a character's shoes with the actual gameplay, it's nice.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I legit would really enjoy the ability to deploy struts for my butt and have a chair to sit down in whenever I wanted one. That's such a handy ability.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It's a little counter to the narrative the thread has going w/ 2B and 9S ... but I really like the subtle shift of perspective you get on the second playthrough.

When you get to this moment as 2B, you feel like you were overwhelmed by the big claw attack, by this long sequence of action. You're on sensory overload, then here's this dorky kid in a flying suit who seems to overshare, and he needs to be told how emotions are prohibited.

On the 9S playthrough, you as a player know a lot more about the world. You've got this hacking power that's incredibly strong. You're perfectly happy doing your own thing hanging out laughing at the death of machine life forms. You breeze through shooter segments... you're higher level. Then you meet 2B, and you are powerful with a lot going on, and she is just... small. And then out of nowhere she says that emotions are prohibited and it kind of seems more like she's talking about her emotions, not yours.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Crasical posted:

I legit would really enjoy the ability to deploy struts for my butt and have a chair to sit down in whenever I wanted one. That's such a handy ability.

The future is almost here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myug5-FB-Do

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

...! posted:

Okay.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Edit: nevermind, discussion over

Kase moch fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 6, 2017

• Locked thread