Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

2B was upset because she thought she may have scored a boyfriend, but then the guy just blows up and forgets the time they spent together. An understandable reaction.

Hmmmyea ok, i can get on board with this, male YoRHa seem kinda hard to come by from what we've seen, he might have been the first dude she met in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HenryEx posted:

Man you're really trying to bait me into spoiler territory

I was just saying that when i was playing the tutorial, i was put off on how she's pulling up such a hammy and dramatic scene for this one dude she just met for the first time (he introduced himself to her), especially when contrasted with her entire squad getting shot down before and her only reaction being "I'm commanding officer now".

Boy it sure is weird that every character motivation and interaction isn't fully fleshed out in the introduction isn't it? :jerkbag: No one's trying to bait you into spoiling anything.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I for one am enjoying these grey eggs and ham.

I can't wait until we get down to Earth and find out what color they actually are!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I never really liked the effects filter in the bunker. Grey on grey doesn't make for the most entertaining color scheme, and it's kinda hard to see in screenshots, but there's some kind of grain or noise filter constantly running over the screen, too. It makes spending time in the bunker kind of unpleasant. Maybe it's meant as an incentive to finally get back down to earth and retake it!

Nuebot posted:

Boy it sure is weird that every character motivation and interaction isn't fully fleshed out in the introduction isn't it? :jerkbag: No one's trying to bait you into spoiling anything.
Don't worry, i'll bring this whole conversation up again in the distant future and we'll all be able to point and laugh :)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

I for one am enjoying these grey eggs and ham.

I can't wait until we get down to Earth and find out what color they actually are!

The real kicker here is seeing the cheif in color for the first time is just shocking.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always assumed she had white hair. This changes everything.

You gotta give the androids credit for one thing: they don't let fighting a six thousand year war over a post-several-apocalypses planet get in the way of dressing fabulously. Could use some more color though. Black on black all the time can't be great for morale.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2017

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Don't worry, i'll bring this whole conversation up again in the distant future and we'll all be able to point and laugh :)

Just stop bringing it up altogether, really. Nothing is more irritating in a spoiler-free thread than someone saying how you totally want to say something but can't because spoilers over and over. If diving into to something would bring you into spoiler territory, then just don't say the thing and we'll all be good.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I really like her fist clench, and the sound that it makes. Also the texture work on their clothes is really nice, especially 2B's outfit, it looks really fuzzy, haha.

Edit: Woot someone bought me an AV. Glory to Mankind.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sindai posted:

I always assumed she had white hair. This changes everything.

You gotta give the androids credit for one thing: they don't let fighting a six thousand year war over a post-several-apocalypses planet get in the way of dressing fabulously. Could use some more color though. Black on black all the time can't be great for morale.
Clearly the founder of YoRHa was a fashion designer on top of everything he or she did in creating YoRHa. Just not a very good designer, though.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Clearly the founder of YoRHa was a fashion designer on top of everything he or she did in creating YoRHa. Just not a very good designer, though.
If it was the guy giving that speech earlier, he sounds almost depressed at the very end.

Probably it was living though goodness knows how many generations worth of androids wearing the same thing. It must feel like a boring uniform by now, 12 large-scale descents later

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Edit: Woot someone bought me an AV. Glory to Mankind.

Okay but for real gently caress the dude who bought that avatar. The guy in the picture is actually really cool and good and shouldn't be used to mock others.

Also, more on topic, I missed of ton of stuff when playing this game myself, so I'm glad that I'll be able to see everything without having to go through everything again.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Seriously though, if the conversation naturally leads to "Spoilers" dont yell at them or insult them, inform them that its gone too far and pray that they check again to edit it out soon. I personally think people over reacting and turning into loving animals over it is much worse.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MythosDragon posted:

Seriously though, if the conversation naturally leads to "Spoilers" dont yell at them or insult them, inform them that its gone too far and pray that they check again to edit it out soon. I personally think people over reacting and turning into loving animals over it is much worse.

The game has barely started and people are already posting wink-wink nudge-nudge "that sure is interesting wait until later" sort of spoiler comments in a topic where many people have talked about either not playing the game, or starting to play it along side the LP.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

The game has barely started and people are already posting wink-wink nudge-nudge "that sure is interesting wait until later" sort of spoiler comments in a topic where many people have talked about either not playing the game, or starting to play it along side the LP.

Dark Id thread.jpg

As Saagonsa mentioned, there are quite a few things I missed already so I'm looking forward to seeing more of that!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Just stop bringing it up altogether, really. Nothing is more irritating in a spoiler-free thread than someone saying how you totally want to say something but can't because spoilers over and over. If diving into to something would bring you into spoiler territory, then just don't say the thing and we'll all be good.

Basically this. Let people who haven't played have their discussions. Don't wink wink nudge or hint anything. Let them be. Let them be wrong, let them be right. If you played it is hard to talk to those who haven't on the subject and maybe in many cases just shouldn't reply to them on those subjects.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Saagonsa posted:

Okay but for real gently caress the dude who bought that avatar. The guy in the picture is actually really cool and good and shouldn't be used to mock others.

Huh, Always knew River Song was a guy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My point was basically for the ones that never even considered the idea that what they were saying was a spoiler and then when it was pointed out, they all nicely deleted it, they don't deserve to be yelled at like that. And the so called wink nudge nudge, was just people responding to questions or confusion over something in as nice a way as they could , and then saying that they cant go any farther than that out of good hearted consideration for the rest of the thread and to not get it locked like Id threads are apparently prone to. We can hate and yell at someone when they come and waste their :10bux: to be a complete rear end in a top hat, cuz believe it or not thats the minority.

I'm personally only an update or 3 ahead of Id and havnt played in 2-3 weeks, so I plan to take this chance to play along so I dont accidentally say something thats apparently a spoiler, because its just not something I think about.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Anderson posted:

Huh, Always knew River Song was a guy.

spoilers jesus

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Id should just post his LP's to a tumblr or something. There, completely spoiler free and under his complete control over what gets posted and not posted. So much fun. Emotions are prohibited.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Id should just post his LP's to a tumblr or something. There, completely spoiler free and under his complete control over what gets posted and not posted. So much fun. Emotions are prohibited.

Glory to Mankind.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Sure, if by that you mean drive by spoilers on the notes in a much more easily done and less punishable fashion while also having extremely bad image file requirements!!!

If someone sees and says something about something weird that has an explanation eventually, they're probably also aware that it likely has an explanation at some point. Talking about vague wording that could be a spoiler is what makes vague wording a spoiler. I think spoiler culture has gotten out of hand in recent years but when the thread OP says none, just ignore anything egregious if you know that there's a little something to talk about with it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Zomborgon posted:

Glory to Mankind.

Glory to Mankind.

Edit: Wow 2 AV changes in 1 day, I feel really loved guys :allears:

Also I really like the fabric texture they choose for 2B, it's very... fuzzy.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 8, 2017

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

On topic, I'm really sold on this game but I have a budget laptop from 2014ish, how lovely would I be expecting it to run?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Depends on your GPU really but considering it's a budget machine I doubt it. If your graphics card is built-in Intel one it's very unlikely you can run the game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
On a 2014 cheapo laptop? Not a chance.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Jack Anderson posted:

On topic, I'm really sold on this game but I have a budget laptop from 2014ish, how lovely would I be expecting it to run?

Pretty sure they'd need more details than that due to varying levels of budget. The most likely answer is "pretty drat lovely" though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If someone sees and says something about something weird that has an explanation eventually, they're probably also aware that it likely has an explanation at some point.

Yeah, see there are a lot of people doing this, and it's pretty hard to spot who is being genuine and who isn't (not impossible though, you know who you are and I know who you are), and honestly it's fine. Dicks will be dicks and the clueless shall remain clueless until clued in.

It's the people saying "hold up that's a spoiler" that are loving everything up. Chill your tits, guys.

Jack Anderson posted:

Hmmmm I'm gonna say your best option is to buy a PS4.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The game doesn't have much in the way of graphics options for improving performance on older hardware. The minimum requirement is actually a 770 which is what I have and in big fights I was basically playing in Bayonetta witch time 100% of the time.

EDIT: I forgot to mention earlier but until this LP I didn't realize the weird grenade launch attack I got sometimes was from hitting pod shoot during a dodge. I also didn't realize it was literally 2B grabbing the pod and using it as a grenade launcher. Nice touch.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 8, 2017

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Well, at least I have Dark Id's LP, It's how I enjoyed Neir 1.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Dang wrong thread

Amuys fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 8, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Amuys posted:

Spoilers

Delete this please.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sindai posted:

The game doesn't have much in the way of graphics options for improving performance on older hardware. The minimum requirement is actually a 770 which is what I have and in big fights I was basically playing in Bayonetta witch time 100% of the time.

EDIT: I forgot to mention earlier but until this LP I didn't realize the weird grenade launch attack I got sometimes was from hitting pod shoot during a dodge. I also didn't realize it was literally 2B grabbing the pod and using it as a grenade launcher. Nice touch.

Have you heard of the FAR mod? It can significantly improve performance on weaker cards by lowering global illumination quality, which doesn't have a super noticeable effect, and also fixes the game's weird scaling issues. I'm running a GTX 760 and the game felt much better when I cranked the GI down.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Jack Anderson posted:

Just live vicariously through TDI and watch the LP. ...Maybe like, toss money at the soundtrack for your not being able to buy the game eventually.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Steam lets you refund a game no questions asked if it's under 2 hours of playing time.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have the minimal video card and over recommended settings on everything else on my laptop that I'm pretty sure is over 2 years old at this point. Runs fine, though I obviously can't crank up all the settings.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tae posted:

Steam lets you refund a game no questions asked if it's under 2 hours of playing time.

Yeah it's a great feature if you want to test out the game first, just don't abuse it.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Finally got around to starting this after escaping the siren call of Hyrule. It's my first character action game, so I was a little concerned.

Eight hours in, this may be the best thing I've ever played.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode VIII: The Last of Bots

New Music: Crumbling Lies

If all they want is intel, we Scanner models are built for that kind of thing.
Orders are orders.
All right, all right.

Time for another shooter segment. The last one for quite some time. 9S is joining us for this fire mission. Unlike the previous YoRHa squadron of redshirts, 9S will actually pull his weight in battle. Generally, his AI will fire if 2B is doing so and he will try to move a bit away from 2B’s position so as to hit other enemies and not just double fire on 2B’s targets.

6O establishes contact.

I’ll put up instructions for you.

2B and 9S fly below the cloud line to...

Hm? Ruined city stage, huh? Nice. Shoot’em up classic area board. 2B’s flight unit now has access to a missile barrage as its stand-in for a Pod Program.

Missile Barrage, well... it does about exactly what you’d expect from the super shot in a shooter segment. It shoots a ton of missiles in the area in front of 2B (and in a spiral in all directs when in all-range mode.) Much like Pod Programs, it’s on a cool down timer (flat 12 seconds between charges.) No particular reason to conserve it if there’s mess of targets to go all Macross on in front of her.

After taking on a not particularly remarkable assortment of enemies, as a final challenge were tasked with taking on TWO of the big jerk carriers. This was my first actual death, not counting blowing up the Bunker like an idiot. This was almost entirely because I hadn’t realized they took away all the healing items because err... well they got vaporized with 2B’s old body.

My death mostly was a result of one of the two carriers doing the spiral of orbs while the other one closed the distance and did the laser spiral and those two going at the same time from opposite directions? Kinda problematic when you’ve got like 15 minutes of this game’s shooter mechanics experience at that point.

Regardless, 2B and 9S manage to take out the carriers with little problem and 6O chimes in again soon afterwards.

I’ve set a landing point for your flight units. You’ll be touching down quite a ways from the Resistance camp, unfortunately. Sorry for the trouble, but we can’t risk the enemy discovering their position.
Understood.
Good luck down there!

Alright, everyone out. No more fun with mechs. We’re lucky we even got permission to set foot in another one after 2B and friends trashed six units on that last mission. Though thinking about it now... I guess Pod 042 just peaced out back to space with 9S’s unit, huh? It’s nice he didn’t want to interfere with the drama at the end of the prologue mission and all. But, kind of a dick move. 2B probably could have climbed back in, we could have duct-taped 9S to the roof and made a tactical retreat...

Given that the flight units just fly back to space on their own, it’s not like 2B had to pilot the thing. What the hell, Pod? I thought we were friends. I knew something was screwy when Albert Wesker is voicing you.

Our first order of business is probably to get a lay of the land here. We haven’t done a tremendous amount of platforming yet. 2B will automatically vault up any platforms she edges near while jumping around. So that’s nice. 9S’s AI tends to perhaps have some difficulties with that which are resolved by him just warping into existence behind 2B when the camera isn’t facing him (and sometimes even then.)

But enough about that, welcome...

New Music: Rays of Light (Quiet)

The City Ruins, the hub area of NieR: Automata. The original Nier was more of a post-post-apocalyptic setting. The world as we know it had long ended and a big reset button had been pressed on civilization. But despite that, new civilizations had risen up in the ruins of the world, with scraps of the old world being novelties whose purpose was long lost or dangerous ruins full of weird poo poo that everyone kept their distance from if they were smart. Plus magic and shadow monsters had permeated throughout the land. It was a neat setting that worked with the limitations of its budget, even if mechanically it was rather rough.

NieR: Automata is just plain post-apocalyptic setting of the society collapsed and nature reclaimed the land variety, despite the endless war backdrop. It’s honestly one of the big things I think the first game did better. I mean, this game has some pretty locales and some cool stuff later on. But the bulk of it is like this and frankly... we’ve all seen post-apocalyptic human ruins before. Pretty sure I shot a bunch of mushroom zombies and hobos as an angry murder dad a few blocks from here not too long back.

Proposal: Proceed to target location.

There’s a big red X on your map at all times leading you to the proper location. If you get lost, just look there and follow it! Don’t be a Justin McElroy.

Despite 6O’s claim that the resistance camp is pretty far away from where we touched down, it is actually like... two city blocks away. If you know where you’re going it’s maybe a 40 second dash. But besides our destination, you may notice a bunch of tinier red blips on the map. Just keep those in mind for now.

Straight over thaddaway is the Resistance camp. Our first order of business should probably be finding a way off this derelict building’s rooftop.

There’s a few ways to get down from here. For instance, a nearby office building had part of its façade collapse onto its neighboring little brother, forming a convenient bridge within.

We could take this downstairs. The stairwell is remarkably intact for 10000 year old ruins. Japan’s construction codes back in the day were no joke.

There’s also an open elevator shaft with a ladder worthy of Snake Eater drifting in that leads all the way from this building’s (currently blocked) roof down to ground level. But you know what...? That’s a real dull way to get off a roof...

So gently caress it! Let’s just jump off the top, much to 9S’s startled protest. Pod 042 isn’t just there for infinite ammo suppressing fire and digital laser blasts. 2B can also grab onto her Pod’s arm and use it to slow her descent off huge drops. What a helpful lad. You’d never even dream of Grimoire Weiss letting Papa Nier grab hold of one of his pages to drift down from anywhere, now would you?

On a note of jumping off buildings, 2B can also just drop like a rock off of here and be mostly fine. There’s even a freefalling animation when she hits terminal velocity and has officially gone “gently caress it!” and she’ll land with a knee-breaking super hero pose. There is fall damage in NieR: Automata. This drop takes about a fifth of 2B’s health. I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to die from fall damage. Even jumping from the highest point in the game will just take 2B to 1 HP. I’m sure Hard might outright kill you because it’s an unfun slog in every other regard, why stop?

Anyway, welcome to the Hyrule Field equivalent of Nier: Automata. We’ll be getting VERY well acquainted with this area. All roads either dead end past the City Ruins or eventually loop back around here. This region might get increasingly hostile as the game progresses. But for now it’s quite serene. In fact...

According to our intel, none of the machines in this area are hostile. We’ve been seeing more and more enemies like this lately. They just stand there and stare into space. It’s pretty weird.

Yep. Not unlike the Northern Plains in the very early parts of the original NieR and its Shades, the machine lifeforms in the City Ruins are just chilling out enjoying a nice day in the sun. They’re not shut-in nerds like those dork androids in their Bunker.

That’s not to say they’ll remain non-combative if 2B decides to be a jerk. Indeed, all nearby machines will aggro if 2B takes out her aggression on some poor little dude just minding his own business. But hey, at least we’re not a dumb angry dad murdering children’s souls this time around. There’s no somewhat alarming used coloring book or old toy vendor trash drops from the machine lifeforms. :v:

Continuing onward, there is a pa—wait... Hold up. We’ve got a new enemy. It’s not like any machine lifeform I’ve ever seen... Wait. It’s not a machine at all. Is that a...? Yeah... Yeah it is...

MOOSE! There is some wildlife to NieR: Automata. Well, not really... there’s just the majestic tyranny of the moose. Something had to take over the ecological niche the sheep left after they went extinct. If you’re wondering, yes. We can eventually ride a moose and it owns. Your follow-up question to moose riding is no. We cannot drift a moose. That would be utterly ridiculous.

Boars are also back and they’re still the Drift King, baby! :getin:

The plural of moose is still just moose. Also, it's best not to mess with a moose. They are by far one of the most dangerous enemies in the game and if provoked, can destroy 2B far easier than a sentient oil rig could. We’ll be back to tame these mighty, nigh unstoppable steeds another time. We’ve got work to do!

Past the wrecked overpass and down a back alley, just in front of a couple buildings with clearly shoddier building upkeep than the ones earlier, we come upon...

A lovely little clearing with a gentle stream having reclaimed the abandoned field. This is the Resistance camp’s little corner of the world. We’ll be passing through this field roughly 800 times. So take in the sights.

The Resistance camp’s entrance is denoted by the most half-assed barrier and a few ratty tarps tossed over them. Machine lifeforms cannot walk up steep hills. Everyone knows that. No need for anything more to guard the entrance to the camp. Speaking of which...

New Music: Peaceful Sleep

Welcome to the Resistance Camp, what will be our actual base of operations for the duration of NieR: Automata. Gonna be honest... bit of a step down from Papa Nier and Yonah’s village.

We should probably go talk to their leader first thing.

That’s some pretty solid advice from 9S. We can attempt to chat up the Resistance members loitering about. But most of them wonder who the hell we are, why are we dressed like such assholes and that we should probably talk to Anemone, the camp leader.

I’m going to hazard a guess she’s the one with the big red arrow over her head. I like to think she sees 2B just glaring at assorted soldiers and just rolls her eyes and toggles the red arrow on to get 2B’s attention. I’d definitely passive-aggressively do that to clueless dipshits if everyone had AR vision.

Number Two...
Hmm? You know about 2B?
Um... Yes, well, the Bunker told me to expect you. My name is Anemone. I’m the leader of the android Resistance that controls most of this territory. You must be the new scouts we heard about. Well, I’m sure my people will have plenty of information for you. Please, feel free to ask them anything you like.

Right then. Mission accomplished. Contact established with the Resistance. Tune in next time when we get acquainted with the Resistance, go over the finer points of some gameplay mechanics, get a NieR: Automata version of that side quest flowchart and maybe even start checking out some Weapon Histories. Should be fun!

Video: Episode 8 Highlight Reel

City Ruins Concept Art – The moose’s domain.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 8, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Dont trust the Moose
Never have
Never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I played this game on hard, and the moose can be a lethal mother fucker.

• Locked thread