Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How many models of android are there?

I mean, Yorha alone has B, S, O, and a Commander offhand, not to mention a few that are probably maintenance, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I mean, Yorha alone has B, S, O, and a Commander offhand, not to mention a few that are probably maintenance, etc.

The opening also mentioned D, H, and E types.

The ones we've seen so far... did not last long enough to make an impression.

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
gently caress, finally replying to this thread for the first time in months, because, even after playing every DrakenNier multiple times in the last 7 years, the Wandering Couple quest was perhaps the most feelsbadman.jpg moment I think I've ever experienced in them.

Like, you ever get such a bad feeling in your gut you feel nauseous? I think this is the first thing in a game that gave me that.

Ugh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is one of the occasions where I wish that there were NG+ versions of quests too so you could say "ehhh... nah, we're wiping you first instead of him", because that could play out real interestingly.

This quest is really powerful, jankiness of how it plays into the point of no return aside. No, of course I didn't give them 50k, hit the point of no return and then have to give them another 50k in route B. Definitely not!!!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love how that quest goes from cliche and obvious to that.

Also that loving lady android by the loving tree it took me ages to spot her. Ages and ages.

Wave, however, is the best. It is wicked broken and nothing can deal with it. Everything in the area touching the ground is now dead, I hope you have the auto pickup chip. Triple Wave is just obscene.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Kasrkin posted:

i've got a question, right now Nier Automata is on sale on Steam. but the reviews tell about tons of Bugs and badly ported controls, can anyone confirm or deny this? I Would like to play for myself, but if it is really that bad, i wait a awhile longer.

I played it on mouse and keyboard without any of the mods and honestly had no issue at all
but then again I am weird

still, its definitely worth a buy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My interpretation of it is that it's not that the lady android wanted her partner to be a combat model, but more that she got bored of his personality and wanted to change it. "Oh, he's the sensitive soul now, but I want him to be wild and aggressive next. Oh, and maybe I'll turn him into an icy-cool prince character next."

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, I read it as her changing him simply to suit her needs. Protection is certainly a need, but she's obviously has and has had other preferences she probably feels she 'needs'.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

chiasaur11 posted:

The opening also mentioned D, H, and E types.

The ones we've seen so far... did not last long enough to make an impression.

Don't forget the mysterious A type that's still out there, stabbing every robot baby in the land.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

KamikazePotato posted:

I have semi-strong depression, and I find that depressing games are often some of my favorites. Cathartic is a fairly accurate word for it. Wouldn't worry about it too much, and telling her about the tone definitely helps a lot too.
Not emptyquoting

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Josuke Higashikata posted:

No, of course I didn't give them 50k, hit the point of no return and then have to give them another 50k in route B. Definitely not!!!

Hell, dude. Same.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

KamikazePotato posted:

I have semi-strong depression, and I find that depressing games are often some of my favorites. Cathartic is a fairly accurate word for it. Wouldn't worry about it too much, and telling her about the tone definitely helps a lot too.

I had the same feeling. I've been struggling through a bad bout of depression and playing through Nier has certainly struck a wonderful chord with me. Cathartic is right, and some small amount of feeling better knowing I'm not alone in having these feelings. Reminds me that people have been down this road before and that they can help, you know?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

apocalypticCritic posted:

I mean, I think they lost their grip on the dreams of the past.

And I suspect tigers are extinct, as well.

I wouldn't be surprised. With everyone dead or in space, there's nobody left to fight just to keep them alive.

Where the hell is A2, anyway? Now that we're back on our feet, it's long past time that we rise up to the challenge of our rival.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 8, 2017

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

David Corbett posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. With everyone dead or in space, there's nobody left to fight just to keep them alive.

Where the hell is A2, anyway? Now that we're back on our feet, it's long past time that we rise up to the challenge of our rival.

Except we're a scanner and not a combat model, so we're not really rivals?
The way things are going I expect 9s to body swap into the Goliath like in route A and then get stabbed by A2.
Actually I will be very surprised if this route doesn't end with 9s getting stabbed by A2.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Mundetiam posted:

gently caress, finally replying to this thread for the first time in months, because, even after playing every DrakenNier multiple times in the last 7 years, the Wandering Couple quest was perhaps the most feelsbadman.jpg moment I think I've ever experienced in them.

Like, you ever get such a bad feeling in your gut you feel nauseous? I think this is the first thing in a game that gave me that.

Ugh.

Reading too much Warhammer 40k (Except Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) does that to me.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

i am tim! posted:

I had the same feeling. I've been struggling through a bad bout of depression and playing through Nier has certainly struck a wonderful chord with me. Cathartic is right, and some small amount of feeling better knowing I'm not alone in having these feelings. Reminds me that people have been down this road before and that they can help, you know?

If you don't mind me asking, and hopefully not at the risk of hijacking this thread, how do you (or anyone else experiencing depression) feel after a game like this? Is it catharsis in the sense that you feel more positive and energetic or is it more of a misery loves company thing? Does playing or experiencing a story like this provide validation of your own feelings or experiences? Or something else entirely you would like to describe?

I ask because my work and profession are very involved in mental health and if there is genuine therapeutic or cathartic value in "depressing" literature, art, or stories then it may be a worthwhile area to explore and research further. I don't want to ask anyone to describe anything that might make them re-experience trauma or otherwise cause pain, but if you are comfortable sharing something it may end up being very helpful.

Also, having had a medication induced brief bout with depression, I can't begin to understand the life of someone who experiences it chronically but I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't pray but I sincerely hope you all know that you do matter.

Edit: \/\/\/ I get that it's a joke, but clinical depression isn't an issue of perspective

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 9, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"Well poo poo at least I don't live in the Drakengard universe." does seem like a good way to put problems in perspective.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

McFetusBurger posted:

If you don't mind me asking, and hopefully not at the risk of hijacking this thread, how do you (or anyone else experiencing depression) feel after a game like this? Is it catharsis in the sense that you feel more positive and energetic or is it more of a misery loves company thing? Does playing or experiencing a story like this provide validation of your own feelings or experiences? Or something else entirely you would like to describe?

I ask because my work and profession are very involved in mental health and if there is genuine therapeutic or cathartic value in "depressing" literature, art, or stories then it may be a worthwhile area to explore and research further. I don't want to ask anyone to describe anything that might make them re-experience trauma or otherwise cause pain, but if you are comfortable sharing something it may end up being very helpful.

Also, having had a medication induced brief bout with depression, I can't begin to understand the life of someone who experiences it chronically but I know I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't pray but I sincerely hope you all know that you do matter.

I'd rather message that kinda thought since spoilers and poo poo.

In the broadest sense, having something you can relate to is a huge help. Most stories treat tragic events as "this is sad because it's abnormal, the world is usually happy, so we cry when it's not happy" kinda deal. Like, any given Tales Of game would have one of the party members scream at the sidequest girl for being so terrible to someone she supposedly loves, while possibly the MC would step in with sword drawn to stop this injustice. That's fine, but when you're in a depressed mood it comes off as shallow and fake. Neir does a better job of relating to how I would feel about the event, "well, whatever, got things to do elsewhere".

Course when depression gets real bad I don't play games cause it's too much effort and it's not like I would enjoy them, anyway. I didn't play this game for several weeks after it was released because of that. Depression is weird and stupid.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
You may want to move that discussion to the main N:A thread.

Edit: And/or come back in a few months when the LP is finished.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 9, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

David Corbett posted:

She didn't stay away from the tuna, even though it smelled funny that night.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Going back to the discussion of people cosplaying beause of TDI, I got into original Nier because of his LP and now I'm cosplaying Yoko Taro:

There were at least two other Yoko Taros at DragonCon, too. It was pretty awesome!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

KamikazePotato posted:

I was depressed when I played the first game myself. It messed me up in a very cathartic, wistful way by the end of the day.

A part of me feels like it wouldn't have ended up as my very favorite game had I not been in such a receptive situation and it gave me deeper appreciation for the characters and the themes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Cathartic' is... honestly a pretty good description of how I felt after finishing the game. Precisely why is difficult to articulate, and would require going well beyond this point in the LP, so I'll set it aside for now. However, I will add that I derived a similar feeling after experiencing the original Nier & Deadly Premonition, but not Persona 5, Witcher 3 or Bioshock Infinite. (For the record I enjoyed all those games a great deal.)

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
For me, to put it simply and without going into spoilers, it made me have feelings about future events in the game, which was nice when my sadbrains were stuck in a no-feelings zone.

Umister
Dec 24, 2007

jaclynhyde posted:

Going back to the discussion of people cosplaying beause of TDI, I got into original Nier because of his LP and now I'm cosplaying Yoko Taro:

There were at least two other Yoko Taros at DragonCon, too. It was pretty awesome!

I think I saw you on Friday! My friend and I wore automata Devola & Popola on Sunday - here's a cellphone pic of the back of the camera, but wanted to share anyways. TDI - you seriously started my love for Nier; thank you!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXXIII: Game Dev QA Session

Sidequest... Sidequest never changes... They actually refer to them as sub-quests internally in NieR: Automata and that sounds wrong and dumb. What are you even playing at Yoko Taro? That’s just the wrong term. Full stop.

While we’re still within bounds of the Amusement Park, after we helped out that extremely hosed couple’s very troubling relationship, there is a sidequest that has cropped up here. This one takes us back to the Amusement Park Castle’s basement. Remember the one with the machine zombie outbreak. Don’t worry, the rogue remaining Umbrella laboratory had its self-destruct sequence activated and sorted that out. Unfortunately, it did take the world-famous Hot Dog Museum with it. Tragic, really...

New Music: Amusement Park (Quiet Vocal)

Remember the kinda creepy tower of CRT monitors and old boxy TVs at the end of the machine corpse dumping ground we found here the first time around? Well, it’s now staffed by a clown machine that has a quest for us. Let’s see what his deal is, shall we?

This place isn’t exactly what I’d call “fun.”
Good point. It’s more like an un-amusement park, eh? That’s why I’m thinking about making a game!
Oh yeah?
Yes! A fun game that anyone can play! If only I had the materials... I don’t suppose you’d help me out with that?
<Aid the game creator.>
Excellent! All I need is a single tri-color cable. Just let me know when you find it.
If you know what you need, why don’t you go find it yourself?
Tri-color cables are found inside the machines in the amusement park. You don’t expect me to slaughter my own kin, do you?
You could just decide not to make the game, you know?
Never! My creative urges must be satisfied!
But you just said... Oh, forget it.
The machines carrying tri-color cables are quite aggressive, so be careful!

So starts Game Dev Machine Lv.1. This is a three-part questline. All three parts are quite short. We’ll be doing ‘em all this very update.

However, we’re not quite done in this room yet. Behind the mountain of game development components is another hacking locked chest. Having 9S sort that out results in a shiny new weapon!

Demon’s Cry is yet another Combat Bracers class weapon. Strangely, the vast majority of these kind of weapons are heads/helmets/faces. These punching demon fangs have an Attack Power Up bonus for each level of improvement. At maximum level, Devil’s Hatred is unlocked. This creates a small shockwave (just like the Pod Program we got in the previous update) every time an enemy is slain. Which honestly ain’t bad as far as final upgrades go. Let’s see if its backstory can match...

Demon’s Cry posted:

Once, there was a gentle angel who came to earth to provide
salvation for those in need. Whether it was curing illnesses,
offering blessings, or cheering the sad, he was always there
when needed.

The angel, however, provided aid to sinners and non-believes as
well--an act which was strictly forbidden. Each time he did so, a
single white feather would fall away from his glorious wings.

One day, the angel came across a young girl with an illness that
pained her deeply. But he could do nothing to help the child, for
all his feathers had long since fallen off.

The angel cursed both himself and the cruelty of the world. The
resulting hatred stained his body and his wings, turning them
both black as night. Then, crying tears of blood, he brought his
hands to the girl's neck.

Well... I mean, I guess technically the illness was stopped. In a way, if you really think about it. Mission accomplished. Moving on!

Music: Amusement Park (Vocal)

Our next stop is going to be back at the entrance of the Amusement Park to obtain the necessary component to crack into the indie gaming scene. All we’ve got to do here is go hog on all of these neutral festive machines until one of them coughs up the necessary component. 9S could just systematically hack his way through each if he wanted to minimize causalities. But where’s the fun in that?

In any case, we’ve gotten our Tri-color Cable which looks... suspiciously like an old Composite Cable. Mmm... shooting for that classic hot 480i fidelity, huh? Let’s jog back downstairs and hook up our guy with his request.

Music: Amusement Park (Quiet Vocal)

<machine ratcheting> Excellent! Now I just attach this here...
<game beep> Success! The game is ready!
So what is this game of yours anyway?
It’s a shooting game. I have the feeling it’s still really buggy though... I’d appreciate it if you could debug it a bit while you play. Feel like playing a game?
<Sure.>
Have fun!

Music: Amusement Park (Chiptune)

The game in question is just the Hacking mini-game modified to an unique layout specific to this quest. It’s a little Pac-Man looking, I suppose. It’s simple enough to finish quickly. However...

Just completing the game will dump us back out and the quest still remains open. Game Creator Machine did ask us to debug the game. Which means we actually have to try to find something hosed in the game. So let’s try that again.

One thing even games with even good QA testing cycles still occasionally manage to flub is geometry bugs that let the player break the bounds of the game world. It’s a cornerstone of a whole lotta speedruns! So in this instance, we’ll just hug all the walls until we find...

You debugged the game! Thanks!

Whoops! Broke out of bounds. That’s not supposed to happen! Someone is going to find that, beat the game in an hour after skipping all the cutscenes, then bitch about it online loudly unless it gets sorted out.

We’re given a whole helping of materials and status improving items along with cash and a nice chunk of EXP for completing our first QA session. However, we’re far from done with the Game Creator Machine. Instantly we’re thrown into the follow-up quest...

I bet a four-color cable would be just the thing to raise the difficulty. Do you think you could track one down for me?
<Agree to help.>
Merci! You can find said cables rattling around the insides of soldiers in the abandoned factory. You’ll have no trouble spotting them, because they tend to walk around alone, away from their fellow machines. Have fun out there!

Oh boy. The Abandoned Factory again. Now’s the part where this quest starts getting tedious. Remember, every leg of this job we need to go up and down that elevator for the basement (like 10-15 seconds each way) and then jog all the way across the back alleys of the Amusement Park (like a minute jog) and load up a new area fast traveling (5-15 seconds) both ways. That time starts to add up.

Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet)

Especially due to the fact there’s not a whole lot to these requests. Like the Abandoned Factory machine we need to kill is just a minute jog into the place next to the very first smelter pit. There’s a torch carrying machine. They don’t belong here yet! It’s way too early for the death cult to get established.

Smashing these machines gets us our... what is this? An S-Video cable? Gonna bump it up to 480p, huh? Spicy. Now then, just run all the way back to the Access Point, teleport back to the Amusement Park, run clear across the Amusement Park, ride the elevator again, run down the long corridor and...

<hammering> Now then, I just connect this end to the widget here aaaand...
<game beep> Presto! My amazingly fun game is now more difficult. Care to check it out? I’ll give you a prize if you can debug it for me.
<Sure.>
Have fun!

Game development QA Testing Round 2. The game has been made somewhat more difficult. Those enemies in the tight corridors can no longer be destroyed from the front. Plus there’s TWO cylinders protecting the core with more spawning in. Once more, defeating the game doesn’t progress the quest. Let’s try that again...

This one is a bit more difficult to find the bug. Turns out, the game is not fancy of speedruns and trying to destroy only one of the cylinders at the top of the screen and rushing the core is against the game’s core programming.

You debugged the game! Thanks!

Well, at this rate we might make up the funds we blew on future Robocop and his mind-wiping slave master girlfriend. Plus, some of these materials are actually on the rarer side. So that’s nice. But, we’re still not done with the Game Creator Machine. As soon this quest ends, we’re dumped in the Lv. 3 of the questline.

But that can easily be rectified if you bring me a five-color cable.
<Agree to bring him the cable.>
Muchas gracias! And best of luck tracking down that five-color cable. You can salvage them from the machines in the desert. Just go ahead and rip it right out of ‘em! They tend to hang out in groups, so good luck finding the right one!
Um, I thought these machines were your friends.
CREATIVITY is my friend!

This is going to be the Dark Souls of hacking mini-games. Or maybe the Citizen Kane of shmups. It’s hard to say. Anyway, off to the desert we go for the final cable. C’mon, 2B. Also err... are you feeling alright, 2B? You’ve literally not spoken in like three updates... You’ve just been staring silently as 9S collaborates in making asset flipped shovelware in this machine’s basement for an hour now.

Music: Memories of Dust (Quiet)

While the Game Creator Machine did say to look in the desert, our targeted destination is actually closer to Jackass’s Camp. Specifically, in the canyon filled region just prior to the Desert Zone proper (it’s also the place 2B and 9S popped out post-naked Adam fight.)

A group of machines have taken up residency in an old bombed out building in the middle of the region. The one we specifically want is the Level 40 Medium Biped hanging out with all these low-30s level scrubs. It’s important to be careful here because it’s totally possible to have the item drop fall somewhere awkward and be impossible to retrieve without the Auto-Collection Chip hovering it up. Why you wouldn’t have the item auto-collect chip installed is beyond me.

Here’s the final cable we need. A component cable, of course! I'm a little disappointed there wasn't one final quest for a single color cable that was an HDMI cable. What a pretender game dev machine... Not even trying to keep up with the format of the times. Anyway, allllll the goddamn way back we go...

<hammering and screwing> Now I just zap this... and tweak that... aaaand...
<game beep> Yes! Now it’s so hard, you’ll wonder if anyone ever bothered to bug-test this! I doubt you can beat it. But if you DO, I’ll give you a really nice prize. Feel like playing a game?
<Sure.>
Have fun!

For this final, punishingly difficult game err... enemy ships appear once every second or so. And if w—

...Wait all we did was destroy five ships and it broke? The hell?!

...Is that it? You’re not going to send me to find some other weird cable?
Actually, I’ve sort of run out of ideas. I never knew how difficult it was to be a creative genius. That’s why I’ve decided to go out on top. Thank you for your support!

...And this is why we have Steam Refunds now.

Video: Episode 83 Highlight Reel

Amusement Park Ride Concept Art – I had one of those break down when I was little and I got stuck on it for like 45 minutes in the middle of summer and got the poo poo sunburnt out of me. That was fun.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 16, 2017

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Umister posted:

I think I saw you on Friday! My friend and I wore automata Devola & Popola on Sunday - here's a cellphone pic of the back of the camera, but wanted to share anyways. TDI - you seriously started my love for Nier; thank you!

Yoooo yes you did! I'm sad I missed your Devola & Popola!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wonder what we've just learned about Taro Yoko's creative process.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

He needs the liquor to keep himself motivated?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I didn't manage to find the very first bug and didn't finish this quest when I played the game. The fact that I'm a game dev makes this particularly amusing to me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's good and all, but I think he needs to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

destroy friendships to be a creative genius?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Dark Id posted:

This is going to be the Dark Souls of hacking mini-games. Or maybe the Citizen Kane of shmups. It’s hard to say. Anyway, off to the desert we go for the final cable. C’mon, 2B. Also err... are you feeling alright, 2B? You’ve literally not spoken in like three updates... You’ve just been staring silently as 9S collaborates in making asset flipped shovelware in this machine’s basement for an hour now.

Aside from these 9S-specific quests and scenes, another thing I think keeps Route B fresh is that you realize just how much 9S is carrying conversations for the two and how he's usually the one engaging with other people. Players usually have some bias towards the character they're controlling, so in Route A you'd think Nines is a giant dweeb, while in Route B you'd probably be exasperated at how little 2B adds to the conversation.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Demon's Cry was my preferred weapon once I got it fully upgraded. The explosions are really nice for dealing with packs of enemies.

Also, I pretty much never looked at the item descriptions, so I didn't realize what the cables were. That's fun.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

amigolupus posted:

in Route A you'd think 9S is a giant dweeb, while in Route B you'd probably be exasperated at how 9S is a giant dweeb.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Is this how Yoko Taro made Drakengard?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I have to say I really enjoy the happy machines that are just kinda doing their thing. "CREATIVITY is my friend" is a wonderful line.

Bruceski posted:

It's good and all, but I think he needs to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Jeez, how many years ago was that?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Man, the TV World from Persona 4 really went to poo poo after Teddie perished in one of the apocalypses.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

StandardVC10 posted:

Man, the TV World from Persona 4 really went to poo poo after Teddie bearished in one of the apocalypses.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if it was like designed to use colors only machines can see, whereas 9S is just like "oh, there's the ship".

• Locked thread