Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreaming Parabola
Aug 12, 2017

The Dark Id posted:

My name? Eve? This book says it’s a woman’s name. Shouldn’t we be called Cain and Abel or something instead?
Humans wouldn’t change names so easily. Besides, you should be proud of the name Eve.
<puts down book> Huh... Well, if that’s what you think, then I’m fine with it.
Glad to hear it.

While it does feel like Adam is just handwaving away his mistake, I feel like he's deliberately trying not to invoke Cain and Abel, because of the whole fratricide thing. Also, Eve was born from Adam's chest after he was stabbed through the chest, similar to how the biblical Eve is born from Adam's rib. You have to wonder if Taro ever considered including a Lilith somewhere in there.

Also, hi. First post here. Big fan, Id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Should have gone for the hard to kill saints, Crispin and Crispinian:

Born to a noble Roman family in the 3rd century AD, Saints Crispin and Crispinian fled persecution for their faith, ending up at Soissons, where they preached Christianity to the Gauls whilst making shoes by night. While it is stated that they were twin brothers, that has not been positively proved.

They earned enough by their trade to support themselves and also to aid the poor. Their success attracted the ire of Rictus Varus, governor of Belgic Gaul,[2] who had them tortured and thrown into the river with millstones around their necks. Though they survived, they were beheaded by the Emperor c. 285-286.

An alternative account gives them to be sons of a noble Romano-Briton family who lived in Canterbury, following their father's murder for displeasing the Roman Emperor. As they were approaching maturity their mother sent them to London to seek apprenticeship and to avoid coming to the attention of their father's killer. Travelling there, the brothers came across a shoemaker's workshop at Faversham and decided to travel no further and stayed in Faversham. This account fails to explain how the brothers came to be venerated and martyred.

So hardcore Rictus had to kill em twice.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Sadly, Crispin Freeman isn't actually voicing either Adam or Eve.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XCIII: Missile Command

Music: Dark Colossus KAIJU (Instrumental)

Well that’s new.
It’s really breaking with the sphere head design aesthetic the machines had going.
Maybe it’s got a big sphere head underneath all of... that.
I’m good not finding out where...

Command has decided to stage a direct satellite laser strike on the hostile. We need you to destroy the enemy EMP generator so we can lock on to the target.
EMP generator?
Sending the coordinates to your map now.

We still need to do this first stage of the fight, in which we fight our way to the rear of Grün to take out the EMP generator. Pod 142 lists off some factoids about the last time this machine showed up it EMP blasted the entire coast and it was a real bad scene for everyone involved and it is best not to let that happen again. No poo poo, Pod 042.

The generator mini-boss is the same as ever. 9S CANNOT hack this enemy. I guess EMP waves extend to blocking hacking signals. I’m sure the science behind that is sound. It doesn’t really matter though because they forgot to buff Grün’s EMP generator in Route B and it’s still rocking only Level 20. Given the damage scaling, all pieces of it absolutely melt within sixty seconds. Shameful design oversight on this otherwise impressive piece of goofy rear end looking technical engineering.

Stand by for incoming satellite laser strike.

...Well that blows.
Heh. Having trouble over there?
Are you with YoRHa?
I... yes, of course! You should literally have IFF sensors installed in your eyeballs identifying us as such.
Sorry, there’s KINDA a lot going on right now!

Don’t worry, the Region East District Shrike Heavy Infiltration Recon Team is here to back you up. We’ll handle this!

2B! Let’s leave this area to the reinforcements. I have an idea.
The last time you had an “idea” in a flight unit, we both died...
Yeah... well... Look, you and I should meet up at the spot I just marked.
If you say so.

All the EMP shielding in the world won’t help against close-range mortar fire.
What if it’s got energy shields too?
That is... unlikely. Look, just man the cannon!
Got it.
I’ll help aim!
I’ve got it.
I can use my hacking to correct your aim.
That’s OK...

Time for an actual gameplay difference, however minuscule... 2B gets to run up and aim the mortar cannon. But there’s only room for one on that thing. So 9S...?

He just hacks 2B to help her aim better... somehow? It’s real lame. And he doesn’t even do it right since she goofs it the first shot. Fitting for 9S, really.

2B! Let’s try for a more “direct” approach!
I don’t think we can lift this thing.
No... a DIRECT shot...
But I did hit it directly.
Maybe aim for a glowing weak point...?
Like what...? Its eyes? If you say so.
2B, let’s bomb some Dodongos.
What...?
<rubs eyes> Shoot it in the mouth, 2B. The giant glowing mouth when it opens.
Oh. Right. Of course. Why didn’t you just say that? You’re a poor support unit.

Music: ENDS

Welp. That’s round one down.

Time for the follow-up match and the point where things diverge for 2B and 9S. But first we need to go through the motions of setting up the next phase.

I cannot believe I’m going to get a flight unit blown up and drown twice this month...

2B, that thing got WAY bigger and also teleported several miles closer. We need to go... Like now.
You don’t say?!

Frick!
Crud...

Hey, 2B and 9S... You all look you’re having a bit of a time. Just thought we’d pop in and help. If you want, I mean. We can go...
No! It’s cool!
Oh, splendid. I didn’t want to overstep my boundaries. That would be rude.

Music: Dark Colossus KAIJU

It was designed to help annihilate the androids in a year when there was a particularly high budget surplus and they went a little bit overboard. It went berserk as soon as we activated it and it reached land. I was part of the machine network when it happened. It was, as they say, a bad scene... All of the scientist machines were destroyed in its rampage, so the best the remainder could come up with was dropping it into the ocean and hoping it stayed down there.
<motions towards Grün> And well... I guess that plan wasn’t so hot...
You don’t say...
Hey, 2B? I think I have another idea! You keep that thing right where it is, okay?
What!?
Please, 2B! This is gonna work! Probably... No, DEFINITELY... almost certainly... very likely to work! I think...

And with that, 9S zooms off. So what was 9S contending with while 2B was busy destroying what felt like a dozen EMP generator mini-bosses? Well...

I’m going to see if we can use those missiles back on the shore. But I need you to destroy the EMP unit on that thing’s back. Otherwise they’re just going to go off course.
On it.

Yeah... 9S just has a really uneventful generic shmup segment for a few minutes. His final fight for this section is a medium flyer which I err... guess doesn’t otherwise appear in this event. Yeah, it’s pretty lame. But frankly, I’d rather have a mediocre but quick shooter section than 2B and having to fight three of the same exact EMP generator boss with slightly different camera perspectives.

Activate missile controls. Prepare to launch!

Missile controls engaged.

So as it turns out, 9S wasn’t a huge jerk that performed a danger close missile strike with only giving his allies a five second heads up before striking the target...

He was actually a huge idiot physically riding the missile to its target and forgot to inform anyone the missile was about to hit because he was hanging on for dear life to the side of the thing trying to steer.

This went much better in 9S’s mind. The execution was much different.

Alert: Obstacle ahead. A collision at this speed is not recommended.
Well aware, thank you!

We can kinda control where the missile is moving. But I don’t think it’s possible to go off course or miss Grün. Nor are any of the energy orbs being fired toward the missile capable of doing anything. Presumably, 9S lets go and goes “oh poo poo RIGHT, 2B!” hitting that five second countdown just before impact.

Oh shiiiii—

Dammit! Can you get it back online?
I’m... not even sure how we had that footage or where it was being broadcast from in the first place so... no?

Organize a search-and-rescue party for the missing 9S and 2B at once!
Ma’am, does that include a retrieval of the back-up squadron from North 12C?
Ehh... yeah, if we have the time and someone comes across one of them, I suppose that’s fine.

And that concludes Chapter 7B of NieR: Automata. Tune in next time for something completely different, as we get 9S's perspective in the chapter when he was... boxed up in a wall in Adam's weird cube city. But before we depart from this session, there's one final additional scene...

The child held sway over enormous strength. But sadly, he was also a little bit broken... He spent his long days hurting those around him. He tried his best to be good and kind. But despite his efforts, things never seemed to turn out.

They told him he was unwanted. They abandoned him in the deep, dark ocean.

And from the cold at the bottom of the sea, he cried out... Mother...

Mother... Mother... Mother... But his voice never reached his mother.

Video: Episode 93 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this.)

Submerged Grün Concept Art – Poor form. You’re going to throw out your back like that.

Grün Concept Art – Nobody likes getting assigned to the Grün factory.

Early Grün Concept Art – We called it... Sin.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 11, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Can we get a crying Grun emote?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The Dark Id posted:

We still need to do this first stage of the fight, in which we fight our way to the rear of Grün to take out the EMP generator. Pod 142 lists off some factoids about the last time this machine showed up it EMP blasted the entire coast and it was a real bad scene for everyone involved and it is best not to let that happen again. No poo poo, Pod 142.

Who? You seem to have combined the Pods into one here. This is Pod 042, right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really want to know how the machines got Grun from the coast to the middle of the ocean the first time around.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sindai posted:

I really want to know how the machines got Grun from the coast to the middle of the ocean the first time around.

Pascal had to carry him. After that he decided to quit.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Seconded.

This is a bit of a cheap way to make grun suddenly sympathetic.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Life is suffering, regardless of whether you're human, android, or a skyscraper sized engine of destruction. :yokotaro:

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
That is an impressive amount of detail on the city on Grun's back. It makes you wonder, is there a crew of little Stubby families living and working back there? Whose home we just destroyed? Nobody thinks about the Death Star contractors.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if that's why things have kept going for so long. Somebody wants to make a giant end-the-war weapon but it backfires and nearly annihilates both sides.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They made the doomsday weapon sympathetic. In a kind of cheap way, but drat it it worked on me. :smith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

They made the doomsday weapon sympathetic. In a kind of cheap way, but drat it it worked on me. :smith:

All these slideshow cutscenes are structured the same way the weapon stories are. Yoko Taro has had a lot of practice getting the most emotional mileage out of the fewest possible words.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I never realized it before, but I guess this was technically child murder there. Huh.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Well it is a :yokotaro: game after all.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

He weeps for all the time I wasted.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark Id posted:

Don’t worry, the Region East District Shrike Heavy Infiltration Recon Team is here to back you up. We’ll handle this!

:allears:

:swoon:

Spiritus Nox posted:

e:fb

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Oh hell I didn't even notice this at first :allears:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

GeneralYeti posted:

Oh hell I didn't even notice this at first :allears:

Given that it's an all-female Shrike Team, it even works on multiple levels!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Sandman posted:

Given that it's an all-female Shrike Team, it even works on multiple levels!

You're gonna have to explain that one.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

RatHat posted:

You're gonna have to explain that one.

There was a Shrike Team in Victory Gundam who were recurring characters. They all died to the woman.

:thejoke:

Iolite
May 9, 2009
Looks like 9S is blasting off again!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Snark posted:

There was a Shrike Team in Victory Gundam who were recurring characters. They all died to the woman.

:thejoke:

Oh, I thought the joke was...

Region
East
District

Shrike
Heavy
Infiltration
Recon
Team

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's both.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Like any good punamid scheme, it works on multiple levels. And only the guy at the top avoids the punishment.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode XCIV: Incoming Text Message

This is Tactical Support Unit Pod 153, assigned to 9S.
We Pods often participate in the same battles. Exchanging our situational data would theoretically allow us to plan combat strategies in a more efficient manner. Proposal: Data should be transferred regularly between Pod 042 and Pod 153.
Analysis: This idea is sound. Proposal accepted. Records will be organized in time for the next situational exchange.

So the Pods are going to start automatically exchanging data at regular intervals on top of the private Slack channel they’ve set up earlier. That’s fine. I mean, they’re just being efficient support units. Nothing to concern ourselves over. But enough about that. What happened to 9S after he rode that missile? Well...

New Music: The Tower (Quiet)

How did I...?

We are indeed in the Hacker Zone. We’re not going to learn how Adam managed to capture 9S. I like to imagine 9S just went blasting clear across the City Ruins and happened to crash land on that building with the long table while Adam was busy shoveling down entire bowls of spinach after reading of an old human folk hero who gained immense strength from consuming that particular vegetable.

In order to progress in this segment, we just need to maneuver 9S’s avatar to the nearest node in this (actually very linear) maze and activate it. Which results in...

I... am 9S.
That’s all I can remember.

Large portions of my memory may have been destroyed...

What if I forget everything? My memories? My self? My...

Okay, calm down. Calm down, calm down, calm down.

Just follow the emergency manual and execute the memory recovery program.

The recovery program beings to fill in the blanks in my memory.
They drift back like missing letters filling out a word.

The Bunker...
2B’s plan...
A colossal machine lifeform...
The last-resort missile strike...

Preservation mode was activated at the moment of the blast.
It halted most of the safeties the network had in place.

Hooked me up to the machine network too somehow.

I’m no IT security expert, but I feel like removing all firewall barrier constraints on an android’s network access in the event of suffering a heavy blow seems like a poor overall design choice. Oh well, let’s just keep diving into the machine network’s nodes while suffering a robot concussion.

It looks like the machines gathered and stored a lot of info in here.
It all seems pretty random at first... but on closer inspection, I learn how it’s all connected.

There are a variety of entries, such as data on human history and philosophy.

But what’s really strange are the records of the machines stored NEXT to those...

In the politics category are records of the machines’ own governmental endeavors.
They’d tried all sorts of things.
Absolute monarchies.
Republics.
Democracies.

And that wasn’t all. They all engaged in other scholarly pursuits such as philosophy, mathematics, science and social criticism.
It’s like the network was copying every possible human behavior and discipline.
Almost as if...

Why would they do that?

There’s no meaning behind anything the machines do. So let’s just go access the next node to see what the machines were meaning to do. :v:

When it comes to combat, the machines show overwhelming adaptive behavior and evolutionary speed.

So why do they insist on imitating humanity?
And more specifically, why do they imitate their failures?

It’s almost as if the objective is failure itself.

I sense a change in the data. Some kind of movement.
I hone my perception and hold my breath.

Are they... talking?

Tch. Machines talking...? When has that ever happened in the 33 hours of interactions with machines we’ve done since this game began. Just move on to the next node and activate it like a good little drone, 9S.

New Music: Broken Heart (Instrumental)

Lies! Nothing but lies from mere machines!

Adam laughs. “And yet you androids claim to be alive? How very odd. You are puppets who lack even your own free will.”

No! You’re wrong!

His words flow through me as though they were poured into my ear.

“How am I wrong, boy?”

I’m... We’re...

“Perhaps you have a will after all, he chuckles. “Perhaps you have desires.”
“Now you see, boy! The true meaning of life... is hatred!”

You’re wrong.

“A vile hatred slumbers in the depths of your heart.”

You’re WRONG!

“The more you try to hide it, the more that darkness grows.”

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

We were made to protect mankind.
We’re not the same as you machines!

9S, your debate skills need some work, my dude. But you’ll have to worry about that some other time. There’s one final node as the machine network trail ends here. Let’s see what we’ve got at the end of the path...

Music: Broken Heart (Vocal)

Stop it... stop it...

Dammit... I... I...

Help me... help mE... hElP...
Nononononononon NonoOOOOnonononon NonononOOOOOOOOOoooo
Somebody please help me!

Each of the machines treated their treasures with great care. One treasured family above all else.

Another treasured its older sibling.

Another treasured its own beauty.

But one more machine treasured something unique above all else...

Hate.

Aaaargh!

Arrrghh... I-Is this... what the humans... referred to as... being owned...? <coughs blood>
No...

This is.

So dark... So cold... What did... they mean about... the corncob...? I-I do not... I’m not...

BARF! <dies>

9S!

Sadly, there is no random chance of 2B just running off in the other direction and abandoning 9S. Indeed, we’ve already seen every alternate ending in Route B back with Pascal’s Village genocide. Don’t worry, Route C isn’t far off and it’s still got the remainder of the alphabet to offer.

9S...
2B...

Come on. Let’s go home...
<smiles and nods>

And that concludes Chapter 8B of NieR: Automata. Yep, that was a real short one. 9S was crucified in an untextured Lego wall the entire time. What did you expect out of him, ****? We also bid farewell to the Copied City as this location will never be relevant again. But tune in next time as 9S gets shipped back into space and recovers from his weird time with the Adam the (dead) machine man, by poking around in the highest top secret files he can find as NieR: Automata continues...

Video: Episode 94 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this.)

Adam Concept Art – At no point was Adam ever going to figure out how to properly die a necktie.

Copied City Concept Art – All that effort in Minecraft only for some androids to come along and immediately smash everything on the server.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This was probably directed at the player just as much as 9S.

I wonder if this is one of the sections that got cut down in development, like the Sunken City obviously was. It feels like there's something missing, or some context that will be revealed later.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.”

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a lot of people are thinking about how much they want to play 2B at this point

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Another Nier game, another text adventure segment.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
So are the pods going to revolt and kill off 2B and 9S or something?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.”

I goddamn wish Adam was AM.

Leraika posted:

Of course not. Sharing data is just improving their ability to function together, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leraika posted:

I think we're safe unless they go full tachikoma and spend half an hour cutsceme discussing philosophy and identity.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Leraika posted:

I think sharing data is just how pods go on dates.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Leraika posted:

Eh, it'll be fine. They seem like cool companion-bots. I'm sure they'll make a good team once 9S and 2B are wormfood.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Why would 9S want to kill 2B?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Did the mysterious creepy girls show up again?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Why would 9S want to kill 2B?

The Dark Id posted:

Here, look at this. See this reaction? It proves that android brains contain an algorithm which allows them to derive pleasure from battle! Without that, we’d probably have stopped fighting a long time ago. What a brutally efficient piece of evolution! It’s possible this is based on an identical pleasure center in the human brain. Man, those fleshbags really were something!

Kill could mean the same thing as love to a combat android.

AirborneNinja fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I like how in every single iteration of Adam he is clearly a completely insufferable pompous fop that needs a swirly. At no point did he every approach being tolerable. It's great.

• Locked thread