Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ratoslov posted:

I guess if we're going with Latin, then A2 is 'Et tu?'

She's definitely brutish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This thread is now 200 pages and I feel like Yoko Taro still has a whole bunch of tricks up his sleeve...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

This thread is now 200 pages and I feel like Yoko Taro still has a whole bunch of tricks up his sleeve...

But his games are so famous for being straightforward and normal past the first act!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Jet Jaguar posted:

In route C you play as Pod 042. It's still attached to 2B at almost all times, and you don't decide when to shoot or where to aim - instead the game uses a recording of path A for that.

Somehow, it will still be interesting.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Aw gently caress that wasn't yeast that was Watchers powder!

Bake not at 350 degrees Fahrenheit the Watchers. Lalalalala!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Chokes McGee posted:

Ending F: attempt to help crucify Jesus, he escapes, turns out he triggers an apocalypse of face-eating muffins as a result

The greatest of feasts!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2017

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Verant posted:

Bake not at 350 degrees Fahrenheit the Watchers. Lalalalala!

Glaze not the Watchers with buttercream frosting. Lalalala!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

But his games are so famous for being straightforward and normal past the first act!

Route B feels very thin though.
Not that much that wasn't already inferred, which at least means that Yoko can still craft a coherent story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

I guess if we're going with Latin, then A2 is 'Et tu?'

Yoko Taro has confirmed this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Game is only about 50% complete at this point so

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

"do this, in memory of me"

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XCVII: Glory to Mankind

Forever and ever...

Those were the words I heard in the moon server. But why...?
Alert: 2B has defeated the Goliath-class heavy-weapon unit.
Hm? Ah, right.

OK. Mission accomplished. We provided support to 2B and actually managed to complete all objectives without screwing up spectacularly or getting owned. That’s kinda a first, really. As soon as we head back towards the elevator, the Commander decides to give us a call.

I’m sorry. You’re needed back at Command.
...Understood.

We don’t even have to go far to link up with the Commander as she’s just hanging out in the hallway looking somewhat cross with 9S. Does this have something to do with that time we hacked into classified data without permission...? Dang.

You left quite a trail when you accessed the main server.
That’s what I wanted to speak with you about, Commander.
I found records stating that the Council of Humanity was established as part of Project YoRHa. But I’d always heard it was the other way around. So did YoRHa actually create the Council of Humanity?
Yes. We installed the Council of Humanity’s server on the surface of the moon.
But that means...
Mankind no longer exists.
!!
In truth, humans never went to the moon at all. Any transmissions received from the moon are just dummy signals we set up in advance. The only thing there is a small bit of data relating to the human genome.
But why would you—
Humans were already extinct when the aliens attacked. All the details are stored on this memory chip. If you want to look at it, I won’t stop you.

Yep. Humanity is extinct. The most obvious twist ever if you played the original game, which was about an angry dad going on a rampage that ruined everything in the process. The last few entries given in supplementary materials for the original NieR included the final generation of humanity dying out, since the only person who could maintain the Shades/Gestalts from going crazy and dying kinda got stabbed to death. The Replicants lasted a couple millennia longer, until at least the first contact with aliens. They presumably all died in the first wave of the invasion. RIP weird bio-android clones. Personally, as soon as I heard about the humans on the moon I immediately called bullshit.

Now about that document we were given. We don’t actually get a chance to read it until after this scene and the endgame of Route B immediately begins and it’s easy to forget to check it out. So let’s cheat a bit and check it out now.

So Project YoRHa’s initial purpose was to set up a fake server on the moon to broadcast transmissions that humans were *totally* up on the moon and fine hanging out there. No reason for all you androids to get super bummed out and have a self-destructive existential crisis and the death of your creators, like a certain other mechanical race that came later. Everything is fine and dandy up here!

The sexy anime androids (and occasional super hacker boy dweeb) part was a recent stage of the overall project. You see? Humans are still looking out for all you old androids. They made a whole new generation that are rad as hell and are going to sort out these aliens this time!

No one fights without a reason. And we need a god worth dying for.

And with that, the Commander wanders off leaving 9S to deal with his extremely conflicted emotions about learning he’d wasted 18,000 salutes to the glory of a long dead race. Not sure that’s the healthiest course of action to take, Commander. But you’re in charge of this fortress of lies.

You said you got into death sports. I thought sports was just a game like when we played catch. You didn’t say the death part was the important part! <pounds table>

We were gonna play checkers. I spent all day reading a stupid book about stupid checkers and setting it up and they kill you! I tried to play it with one of the stupid machines and they just crushed the first piece they picked up. DAMMIT! <smacks candlestick>

Every last one of them. I’ll kill them. As soon as I figure out how to get off this roof, I SWEAR it... Every last one of them...

Tune in next time for the beginning of the final chapter of NieR: Automata’s Route B. I wouldn’t expect too much from the conclusion of this route. Overall, 9S’s repeat of events is the low point of the game. However, Route C is just on the horizon and... well... That’s a whole ‘nother ballgame. This is cresting the top of the hill before Yoko Taro’s wild rollercoaster ride actually begins. Stay tuned...

Episode: 97 Highlight Reel

Commander Concept Art – Given past Platinum games, I’m surprised they didn’t go with the glasses sporting design.

Bunker Corridor Concept Art – Do they have space janitors or is it all futuristic Roombas?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
if they werent so against machines, they could get this guy

to do all the work

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

e: eh, better safe than sorry

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Welp! Guess we know why it's called the Fortress of Lies now.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So Mankind is dead and this whole war has been fought under false pretenses. ...He's not going to tell anyone this, is he?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me, at the start of this LP:

Omobono posted:

Somebody already said it, but really, what are the odds of humanity still being there and alive?
On the other hand, it may be too easy a twist for our Sith Lord now, so I guess if by lets say ending A* this twist hasn't triggered then humanity is still kicking. Somehow.

*defined as the first non game-over ending. I have no idea what its letter will actually be.

I honestly was surprised they delayed the untwist (seriously, is there anyone that didn't call it) so late in the game.

Oh well, humanity's dead and so are the aliens, this whole war is even more loving pointless, Drakengard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was a twist for me when I played, but I never played the original Nier.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's definitely a twist everyone who played the first game saw coming, but I have to believe it wasn't meant to be a surprising twist for us and just a twist for the characters. It's basically a santa situation, where anyone who's an adult can figure out that yeah santa ain't real, but it's not a character for adults- it's for children to maintain some childhood wonder about the world.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
My take: The "twist" that humans are "alive" after all despite all that went down in Nier is to catch old fans off guard, start considering if maybe supplemental story material wasn't quite that canon after all and become receptive for other questionable information. In other words it's a lie that's presented so brazenly you're inclined to consider it might be true despite knowing otherwise

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Counterpoint: the Androids are basically humans with beepy boopy parts in them so... Maybe humanity survives in a way? :shobon:

(Yoko Taro Voiceover: They didn't.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nina posted:

My take: The "twist" that humans are "alive" after all despite all that went down in Nier is to catch old fans off guard, start considering if maybe supplemental story material wasn't quite that canon after all and become receptive for other questionable information. In other words it's a lie that's presented so brazenly you're inclined to consider it might be true despite knowing otherwise

Accord is flipping through various scripts right now with an ever increasing >=( face.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
"Mankind is dead" was the obvious twist. "Mankind was dead the whole time, your fight has been meaningless from literally the beginning" was one that I didn't expect.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I put too much meaning to the line "on the moon humans regained their original forms" from the stage play. I thought the twist would be that the humans are alive but they're now totally unrecognizable as what people perceive a human to be like, just like Emil.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
I have lied
about the humans
that you were
programmed to protect

and whom
you thought
were
on the moon

forgive me
they were so dead
and so...
well that's it really
just super fuckin' dead

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Really though the moon should've turned out to be a huge Emil head.

"The humans weren't on the moon, the moon was the humans"

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Nina posted:

I put too much meaning to the line "on the moon humans regained their original forms" from the stage play. I thought the twist would be that the humans are alive but they're now totally unrecognizable as what people perceive a human to be like, just like Emil.

If it came from anyone except Yoko Taro, I would expect the next big plot twist to be that the aliens were somehow the real humans all along. They came from a far-future or alternate universe Earth, and they were ultimately responsible for creating the androids as well as the ball-head machines, which would make the war even more pointless than it already appears to be.

Since it does come from Yoko Taro, I have to assume the next big twist will come out of left field and not involve the aliens at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ManlyGrunting posted:

Come to think of it, his main weapons and shmup fliers are black while 2B's are white. Wonder what the significance of that is? :ohdear:

Their pods are that way too.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint: the Androids are basically humans with beepy boopy parts in them so... Maybe humanity survives in a way? :shobon:

(Yoko Taro Voiceover: They didn't.)

This is my read. Supplementary material has pointed to androids being increasingly humanlike in functions and tasks they can perform - basically the only thing they can't do is have children. But emotionally, androids are still, well, rather childlike in many ways. They're programmed to help humans. So they need a humanity to protect, and the soul searching that they'd need to go through to really come to the conclusion that humanity lives on in them is potentially catastrophic.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Hot take: machines are more human than the androids

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Androids are humanity's children and the machines are adopted children, and the whole war between them is sibling rivalry

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Androids are basically "I can't operate if my parents aren't here telling me what to do" while machines go the "I'm trying to emulate my parents but I can't understand jack about them" route

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
And on that day an android and a machine discovered nihilism

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Come on sucker lick my battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpe1R6veuBw

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Honestly, I'm just surprised the Commander was so chill letting 9S know about the entire thing, giving him a document explaining things AND letting him go. The way she had you there alone made me think she was planning to kill you for knowing too much. Or had some other YorHa members with her and declare 9S a traitor on some made-up charges and had him killed on the spot.

The fact she did nothing is what's so eerie about it to me.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Honestly, I'm just surprised the Commander was so chill letting 9S know about the entire thing, giving him a document explaining things AND letting him go. The way she had you there alone made me think she was planning to kill you for knowing too much. Or had some other YorHa members with her and declare 9S a traitor on some made-up charges and had him killed on the spot.

The fact she did nothing is what's so eerie about it to me.

Makes you wonder what else she isn't telling 9S that would make that okay

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Commander is like the sad mom of all these 4 yo killing machines. Who knows what she's thinking

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Commander is probably just glad she can tell SOMEONE. It must be loving difficult, being the only one on the entire base that knows the truth.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

exploded mummy posted:

And on that day an android and a machine discovered nihilism

NOTHING MATTERS
NOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERS

*swarm forms giant :thunk: face*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poland Spring posted:

Makes you wonder what else she isn't telling 9S that would make that okay

emil's been in charge this entire time

• Locked thread