Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zomborgon posted:

I have no clue why this of all faces was chosen for what is presumably meant to be a highly dramatic scene.

:haw: BROTHER!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPirateguy
Mar 18, 2015

Adam teaching Eve how to fight in Digital Space ontop of Metal Gear Rex is something that is implicitly conveyed to the player when experiencing Nier: Automata.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

The bishounen love child of Gary Busey?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It probably looks fine in motion.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a quick shot but long enough that you'll probably notice it looks a little silly even your first time seeing it.

I think the facial models just weren't designed to have their mouths open that wide.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also wish the game had more hacking segments like that. They do some neat stuff with the hacking when it's not straight combat bits.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

I also wish the game had more hacking segments like that. They do some neat stuff with the hacking when it's not straight combat bits.

Meh, I think their rarity is what keeps them interesting. If you had an equivalently extravagant hacking segment for every boss it would become expected.

Again this is part of how this game balances it's surprises against expectations, and it works pretty drat well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If this was Drakengard, we'd be getting an ominous as hell message about endings anytime now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Meh, I think their rarity is what keeps them interesting. If you had an equivalently extravagant hacking segment for every boss it would become expected.

Again this is part of how this game balances it's surprises against expectations, and it works pretty drat well.

You hack dozens of times throughout the game though and they're all the same handful of variations. I think having a few more unique segments would do more good than bad.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Eve's nihilism makes sense when you consider that while Adam was born from a bunch of machines trying to better understand humanity, Eve was born to protect his brother. So while Adam's existential crisis would have been discovering humanity is dead, Eve's was Adam's death.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Dang, now I am seeing that Adam's Copied City looks a fair bit like Eve's hackerspace.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

It probably looks fine in motion.

Nope

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

For when your mouth needs to stand against the toughest corruption, try Jackass brand toothpaste and mouthwash.
Jackass: It's definitely not just blasting gel.
Also try our new red-eyedrops.

The Dark Id posted:

standing at rough this range and launching missiles will completely stunlock Eve

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Picayune posted:

Dang, now I am seeing that Adam's Copied City looks a fair bit like Eve's hackerspace.

Ooh, now that is interesting...

I agree that there was scope to make some more interesting boss-hacks. The factory hack was pretty cool as well, and having a few more unique hacks would make Route B feel like less of a retread.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zomborgon posted:

I have no clue why this of all faces was chosen for what is presumably meant to be a highly dramatic scene.

drakengard

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XCIX: Or Not to Be

VIDEO: CLICK HERE TO WATCH ENDING B!

Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

You think that one nameless machine trying futilely to revive its dead brother at the start of Route B has any parallels to what ended up being the trigger for the final conflict?

Music: ENDS

Nah. Probably just a coincidence.

So once more ends the machine lifeforms experiments of birthing weird humanoid boys to try running administrative duties for a couple months. Overall, it’s probably a 7/10 on the scale of machine lifeform experiments on changing up the status quo.

2B once more commits the fatal error of declaring things to be settled and done as soon as the immediate threat is vanquished, thus assuring an almost immediate occurrence of a new threat or doubling down on the old one.

9Sistotallyjackedwithmalwarefromnotrunningadblockonsketchysites.exe activated.

Heh heh... I really screwed up... <breathes heavily>

Music: Vague Hope

No... <limps toward 9S>
It’s okay. I can always reload my backup data from the Bunker.

Guess so... But we can’t... upload this corrupted data to the Bunker, so...
9S...

Gaahh... Ah... Please, 2B... I want you... to do this... for me...

Presumably the two Pods are hanging out on the sidelines somewhere watching these scene unfold. It must be very uncomfortable to sit and watch one Pod’s user strangle to death the other Pod’s unit...

But that’s just how things are gonna play out again...

Granted, the audience this time around for 9S’s death has expanded a bit...

Music: ENDS

<begins crying>

It always... ends like this... *sobs*

<beep> <beep>

<beep> <beep> <beep>

<beep> <beep> <beep> <beep>

There’s still... some alive...?

Man, 2B that sword was literally like 2 feet away. I know it was all symbolic and junk, but you couldn’t have done 9S in with that? Harsh.

Music: Hope and Rebirth

Is this... a message? The data transmissions... They’re resonating with each other...

One of these days there is going to be a machine with magenta colored eyes and the androids are going to lose their poo poo not knowing what the hell that means. Full on panic and pandemonium.

Uuuuuuggh... Uhhhh...

Wait a second! 2B!
Who are...?
It looks like... I left my personal data in the machine side of things. Next thing I knew, my sense of self was regenerated over the surrounding network. Having multiple selves fused together like this is a pretty valuable experience, so I wanted to record it—but I couldn’t access any storage areas yet...
<drops sword and walks towards Goliath 9S>
...so I just multi-plexed it over the memories of some nearby enemies, so that when I returned to my own body, I—

Shut up... nerd...
<lowers head> I’m glad you’re okay...

Yeah...

New Music: Weight of the World (Japanese Version)
(Go listen to this. Mandatory again.)

Kowareta Sekai no Uta

Kie yuku sukui
Todaeru karada
Sora wa ima mo kuraku
Tomatta tokei
Naranai kikai
Koe todokanakute

Kore ga boku no noroi
Okashita tsumi no fukasa ga
Kimi no negai
Kegareta tamashii naku aganai, dakedo

Sou bokura wa ima
Aah, mu kachi demo sakebu
Ano kowareta sekai no uta
Sou bokura wa ima
Aah, muimi demo negau
Tada kimi to no mirai wo
Ano hi no egao wa itoshii mama kiete......

Afureru midori
Koboreru inochi
Kaze wa ima mo tooku
Hagareru sabi to ugomeku yaiba
Shi ga hisomu mori ni

Korega boku no noroi
Yakusoku korosu itami ga
Kimi no negai
Saigo no yume wo suteta tsugunai, dakedo

Sou bokura wa ima
Kono yogoreta sekai no ai
Sou bokura wa ima
Aah, muimi demo negau
Tada kimi to no jikan wo
Oboreta ishiki wa yasashii mama kiete...

Sou bokura wa ima
Ano kowareta sekai no uta
Sou bokura wa ima
Aah, muimi demo negau
Tada kimi to no mirai wo

Sou bokura wa ima
Kono yogoreta sekai no ai
Sou bokura wa ima
Aah, muimi demo negau
Tada kimi to no jikan wo

Inori ga yurushi wo erare zutomo

......Boku wa.

Song of the Broken World

My salvation is vanishing
and my body is coming to an end
Even now, the sky is dark
The clocks have stopped,
mechanisms don't tick,
and my voice never reaches...

This is my curse-
the depth of my sins
Your wish-
I'm atoning without an impure soul, but...

Yes, we are now...
ah... worthless, but we cry out
the song of that broken world
Yes, we are now...
ah... meaningless, but I wish
simply for a future with you
Your smile, please disappear still as precious as it was on that day...

The greenery overflows,
and the lives spill forth
The wind is still distant
The peeling rust and the squirming blades
are in the forest where death lurks

This is my curse-
a pain that slays promises
Your wish-
I'm atoning by casting aside my final dream, but...

Yes, we are now...
of this tainted world's love
Yes, we are now...
simply for more time with you
My drowned consciousness, please disappear still gentle as ever...

Yes, we are now...
the song of that broken world
Yes, we are now...
simply for a future with you

Yes, we are now...
of this tainted world's love
Yes, we are now...
simply for more time with you

Even if my prayer is never granted forgiveness...

I...

Recover designated items.

Guys, they’re still trying to roll the credits. What are you doing? You can’t have gameplay here. That’s rude as hell messing with the credits! Also this is 9S’s storyline. 2B, you had your turn. What gives? Tch... Whatever. Fine. Let’s go to 9S’s room like the mini-map has designated.

I needed to give you this.

Uhhh... Thanks, 9S...? You... do know we’re definitely going to have to report you for smuggling drugs onto the Bunker and distributing them to your co-workers. That’s both not kosher and really weird, my dude...

No, never mind. Just be careful.
Planning preparations complete. Confirmed equipment delivered to quarters.

Our new destination is returning to 2B’s quarters down the hallway. We receive an email notification as we leave 9S’s room. Unfortunately, since this is still the end credits, we cannot access any terminals to read it until Route C. And I’m not going to fudge the details on that one. We’ll check later...

For now, entering 2B’s room will trigger the end of the credits as well. So be sure to loiter a bit in the hallway if you want to hear the full song. That’s because there’s one more scene bridging Route B and “Route C.” This is the part where the whole Route naming falls apart. It made sense referring to them as Routes for 2B’s initial storyline and then repeating events from 9S’s perspective. Route C is not that. At all. It’s 100% new story content and the continuation of the plot that concluded with Adam and Eve’s deaths. There’s even a preview trailer for it...

Remember your pain. The pain of having your homeland stolen...

We will never give up our struggle.

We will take back the seas...

...the skies, the land!

We will take back our world...

...from the scourge of the machines!

We will not fail in this mission!

Here and now!

We will put an end to this goddamn war!

Glory... to mankind!

GLORY TO MANKIND!

And that concludes Route B of NieR: Automata. That rollercoaster is at the top of the hill and briefly stopped... Tune in next time as the real journey begins... No one stops!

Video: Ending B and Route C Preview
(It’s the ending! Go watch it! Sheesh!)

NieR: Automata Key Art – I’m the one medium biped in the middle that is realizing he’s made a huge mistake.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 18, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
When an army in a :yokotaro: game starts talking about ending wars forever for the glory of NationStateHere poo poo's about to go sideways :getin:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought it was a nice touch that the credits song is in English after Route A and in Japanese after Route B. I assume it's the opposite in the Japanese version.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So I completely missed the hologram girls the entirety of route B and noticed them here for the first time to which I loudly exclaimed "uhhhhhhUHHHHHHH!?!".

Also

I cannot stress clicking that link enough.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
IT'S TIME :yokotaro:

I think I also missed the hologram girls until this moment, where it's pretty much impossible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

I thought it was a nice touch that the credits song is in English after Route A and in Japanese after Route B. I assume it's the opposite in the Japanese version.

It's the same order in both versions.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
One of those preview images has Pascal with A2. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah don't look too closely at the preview shots if you don't want spoilers.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Stephen9001 posted:

One of those preview images has Pascal with A2. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

:yokotaro: Hmm. I can't imagine why you'd have a bad feeling about the one honest and good character in the game. No idea.

Also if the goal of those default avatars is to make us buy the right to use a non-default (which I guess it is), boy is this newest one doing a good job. <.<

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I missed the holo girls in the alien spaceship, caught a glimpse during 9S's takeoff (of the "wait was there just---?" variety), and only saw them for sure in the ending.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Something that the game forcibly shows you isnt really a spoiler

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
God, that picture of bared-teeth 9S is just as freaky this time around.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Oxxidation posted:

It's the same order in both versions.

Doesn't the Japanese version also use male pronouns too? It makes sense to keep it the same, since Weight of the World specifically says she's only one girl.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Nothing in there is actually a spoiler without context. A2, the third playable character who is on the game NieR: Automata's box art cover and mentioned by name as playable if you purchase the game digitally, actually becomes relevant. That's about it. It's not like The Phantom Pain's preview in which they showed scenes from literally everything left in the game storywise since it was an unfinished mess with like 30 minutes of story poo poo left in Part 2. :v:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Subtle, game, real subtle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did we just get two endings? And neither of them ending B? I'm confused.

Edit: Never mind, I missed the ending B placard.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 16, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Thats the next 2 available endings, not the one just obtained

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No, those are the endings this route's leading up to. It's a preview of Nier Automata: meaningless [C]ode and chil[D]hood's end

you'll have to buy both to fill out the machinodex though, stupid version-exclusives...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Momomo posted:

Doesn't the Japanese version also use male pronouns too? It makes sense to keep it the same, since Weight of the World specifically says she's only one girl.

That's right. It's not like it's incorrect for women to use "boku" but it definitely implies a (young) male speaker.

I'd argue that the Japanese lyrics generally sound a lot more like 9S's perspective, too. I mean, "Carrying the Weight of the World" vs. "Song of the Broken World" is a pretty blatant difference.

Absum
May 28, 2013

IIRC you can go to command during the credits and faff about but I don't remember if it gives any unique dialogue or unique scenes.

It's possible I'm mistaking it with another scene but if so that's cause I spend a bunch of time walking around as 2B here both to see if I could find anything and also cause I was ecstatic I got to be myself again.

e: Gameplay during credits + preview was both very hype and very ominous as well. The preview is especially neat.

Absum fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 16, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So a fun thing about the Eve fight. As it turns out, if you die at the same time as getting hit by the scripted shockwave that disables your poo poo, it softlocks the game, as I found out when I played through Route B on hard (don't play on hard mode). You can't even self-destruct to get out of it. I sure had fun repeating the last hour or so of gameplay to get back up to that point!

:yokotaro:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:unsmigghh:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Edit: Never mind, I missed the ending B placard.
No, that's part of the preview. Those are the names of endings C and D.

The ending we got was...

The Dark Id posted:

Do you get it? It's a real subtle pun.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can you self destruct during the credits and have an ending inside an ending?

• Locked thread