Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Welp, I am prepared for the newest volume in "The Greatest of Feasts" saga. Bring on the rampant carnage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was going to say that I don't think anyone will get eaten here, but then I remembered the attack on the resistance camp in route A, and I guess I'm not so confident any more.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: War and War
(You should listen to this since it only plays here too.)

This is my favorite song in the game after City Ruins. Kind of a shame they could only find one small fit for it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Why the hell do we keep building green AND red leds into our eyeballs?"
"And why in the world does no one ever use the blue setting?"
"Look, our eyeballs can't all be Goku."
"My eyeballs are set to the CMYK standard."
"No one cares Frank."

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The hacking version of War and War is great. It really sounds like old Final Fantasy bgm

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I swear War & War is a tribute to Evangelion or something
Its got that Shiro Sagisu vibe all over it

Begemot posted:

This is one of the parts of the game that most benefits from playing it all in one sitting. Going from the preview for route c into this totally blind is a great experience.

And we haven't gotten to the best part :allears:

Indeed
I was glad to have caught up on the LP before route C started

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Why the hell do we keep building green AND red leds into our eyeballs?"

The folks down in R&D are working on a plan to end the war by developing red/green colorblindness, thereby rendering everyone neutral.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
And then everyone kills everyone else.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

And then everyone kills everyone else.

Well technically speaking that does end the war regardless

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wonder if their eyes are actually red or if it's just the IFF system making the androids see red eyes on things it designates as threats

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wave is amazing here by the way. And like everywhere, but these sorts of situations are where it really shines. YoRHa should have just equipped everyone with that, the war would have been finished in three minutes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why is it that antivirus software seems to be a near lost art in stories that depend on fighting robots?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geostomp posted:

Why is it that antivirus software seems to be a near lost art in stories that depend on fighting robots?

Something something Kaspersky Russia NSA Anti-virus. It's all politics.

Plus the firewall was blocking access to cute_cat_pictures.not-a-virus.jpg.exe

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Going to have to put down the LP for a while, just got the game and opened fast travel on route A myself, so I want to experience the rest blind. See you in a couple months.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Ashsaber posted:

Going to have to put down the LP for a while, just got the game and opened fast travel on route A myself, so I want to experience the rest blind. See you in a couple months.

This is 100% the correct decision.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
War and War is fantastic.

Chokes McGee posted:

Machines overwriting androids.

That's... that's probably not good.

Right after 9S dumped his consciousness into a bunch of them and overwrote their memories. :raise:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CIII: Bingo

Welp. This is happening now. All of the YoRHa ground troops aside from 2B and 9S have been infected with the Logic Virus. It’s the same thing 9S had at the end of Route A/B where getting throttled to death was preferable to it taking over. It also popped up in the 11B’s Memento sidequest, in which a deserting android went from virus infected to insane to stone loving dead in the span of about 12 minutes.

It’s possible to stop the Logic Virus if it’s eliminated within a minute or two like 9S just did. This is also done in the YoRHa Stage Play. So 2B is fine now. But if you’ve already got glowing red eyes, though? Nope! You’re turbo hosed! Full stop.

Music: The Sound of the End (Instrumental)

They’ve been infected and taken over!
No...

Wait, what!? Attack functions aren’t working!
That’s because of their YoRHa IDs! 2B, I need to hack into you and fry your identification circuit!
Do it!

The YoRHa IFF signals are preventing us from using any attacking abilities against the infected YoRHa soldiers. That’s problematic. Luckily, 9S is secretly dangerously OP with his hacking and can sort that out pretty quickly.

Music: The Sound of the End (Chiptune)

You’d think they would put a bit more restraints on the programming that prevents androids from murdering each other in the field. But here we are...

There we go. 2B can now start team killing to her heart’s content. 9S apparently can self-hack to destroy his IFF chip as well, since he’s freed from friendly fire constraints as well.

Music: The Sound of the End (Instrumental)

The viral infection hasn’t power leveled the YoRHa troops since they were on our side. So this fight is still a Level 51 beast going against slacking Level 20 jobbers. It’s pretty one-sided. At least initially. The trouble is, there’s an entire infected earth invasion force all trying to murder 2B and 9S. Or in gameplay terms, there’s infinite YoRHa enemies flooding in. And those fresh troops HAVE been diligent with their grinding and are all around Level 45-50. This isn’t getting us anywhere.

Alert: All communications are currently being jammed.
God drat it!
2B! I located the unit that’s jamming our comms.
Got it.
Target location data obtained. Marking on map.

Back to the center of the City Ruins crater? Great. That’s the best position to take a stand when an entire army is on your rear end. Let’s be happy sniper rifle technology was lost a few Machine Wars ago.

Our new goal is to take out this Goliath Biped while dodging attacks from the swarming YoRHa hostiles. YoRHa troops are really annoying to fight because they don’t have any flashing eye tells for their attacks like most every enemy in the game outside Adam and Eve boss fights. It’s best just to stay out of their range since they’re all melee only. This would be a MUCH more difficult scenario if everyone had been assigned a Pod.

A bit of wailing on a bulky machine later and...

Pod, send an emergency distress signal to Command!
Pod!
Alert: Connection lost. Unable to reach Command.
drat it, they’re STILL jamming us?
Negative. Signal reception is clear. Connection lost due to server-side authentication failure. No responses coming from Command on any channel.
poo poo. What happened to the Bunker?

Now the Commander isn’t returning our phone calls. Great. Pretty sure she has caller ID... Real dick move not responding to our texts. Oh well, for now all we can do is continue fighting the unending parade of infected YoRHa units.

2B! I have an idea! It’s possible to access the Bunker through a backdoor in the system. I can use that to initiate an emergency upload of our personal log data. Then we set our black boxes to self-destruct and take ‘em all out at once!
...Sounds good!

Dammit, 9S. Your solution to everything can’t always be blowing yourself or something around you up. YoRHa’s budget is already going to be really strained replacing all these B-series androids we’ve murdered. But fine. We’ll defend you as you do your nerd business.

Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

50 percent complete!
We just hit 70 percent!
Are you done yet!?
Almost! We’re at 92 percent! 2B! Your black box!

Any time now, 9S. We can go all Musou game on these infected androids all day, but it’s way more dangerous to do so now that we’re in the Cutscene Zone™.

9S attempts to link up with 2B but is immediately deterred by infected androids eager to stuff the nerd in the nearest locker. And then stab that locker repeatedly. It’s a really spiteful viral infection.

Granted, 2B isn’t having much better luck taking on the YoRHa soldiers now that she’s at the cruel whims of the Cutscene Zone™ as well.

Geez, apparently androids can just nearly instantly whip out the Black Box for a speedy detonation if necessary. You’d think there would be a bit more ceremony to tearing out your body’s core...

The patented YoRHa dogpile tackle technique proves ineffective as 2B and 9S once again blow themselves up to escape a dire situation. Well, at least that’s the infected ground troops sorted out...

Music: ENDS

2B awakens back in her YoRHa dorm room. Not sure if there’s some kind of individual android 3D printer beneath those beds in case their consciousness needs to get beamed back to base in the result of their death. In any case, 2B immediately gets up and rushes out of her quarters to find...

Music: Broken Heart (Vocal)

We have to report back to Command.

Yep, that’s super important we report in. We’ll get right on that... in just a minute. Beforehand, let’s take a quick detour. Remember how 21O praised 9S for his fine work destroying all of the anti-air units earlier and promised to leave a reward in her room?

That wasn’t idle chatter. She did indeed leave a nice suite of high end Hacking augmenting plug-in chips for 9S. That was nice of her.

We’ll have to thank her for the gift later. For now, let’s make our way to the Commander to report on Operation Berlin 046 going kinda pear-shaped and ask why the hell she wasn’t answering our calls...

2B? 9S? What are you doing here?!
The YoRHa units on the ground were infected by a virus. We had to detonate our black boxes in order to stop them.
A... virus? What are you talking about? None of our ground units reported anything about a virus.
That’s because all communication with the Bunker has been severed.
And why did you leave the battlefield anyway? I didn’t order a retreat.
We’re telling you, YoRHa has gone berserk!
No... If anyone is acting infected here, it’s you.
Are you NUTS!?

Music: ENDS

2B... 9S... You’re being detained under suspicion of virus contamination.

Welp... This could be going better...

Wait a minute!

<begins grabbing head and screaming>
!?

...Well poo poo. This could be going a lot better.

They’re... infected!?

2B quickly defends the Commander from attack by the newly infected YoRHa soldiers. They never directly mention this in-game, but despite being the leader of YoRHa, the Commander is NOT a YoRHa anime super soldier android like 2B. She’s part of the previous generation like Anemone and the Resistance members and thus would completely get her rear end handed to her even by YoRHa red shirts like these.

Commander? We have to go.

Tune in next time as 2B, 9S and the Commander quickly contain and control the situation on the Bunker with minimal casualties or losses as order is restored and the war gets right back on track! :getin:

Video: Episode 103 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this. And all the rest of the videos this chapter, frankly.)

The Commander Render - Not sure why she's sporting her Player 2 palette here.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Well technically speaking that does end the war regardless

happy ending

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
How did the virus get from the battlefield to the Bunker? I'd say this was clearly the fault of our boy Nines still being a carrier after the run in with Eve and that he just uploaded it along with the backup copy of himself, but 2B is still fine.

Also, shouldn't someone involved with monitoring/commanding the battle have noticed communications were out, or the giant black box explosion? It's almost like everyone in command is bad at their job.

e: watching the video now and I guess 'what happened to the Bunker?' after contact was lost might imply things had already gone sideways up there and somehow the Commander hadn't noticed.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
We're now in uncharted territory for me, I knew about the Logic Virus and humanity being extinct, but I'm haven't heard what happens after this.

Which means I can speculah without guilt!

So ultimately, I suspect we're seeing the Reset Button that keeps the war going. Some side starts to win too much (or humanity being extinct becomes common knowledge); they go crazy and kill themselves. The survivors rebuild without the knowledge that lead to the trigger.

Repeat ad nauseum for millennia.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
didnt you hear?
they just wanna play Bingo

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Andyzero posted:

So ultimately, I suspect we're seeing the Reset Button that keeps the war going. Some side starts to win too much (or humanity being extinct becomes common knowledge); they go crazy and kill themselves. The survivors rebuild without the knowledge that lead to the trigger.

Repeat ad nauseum for millennia.

This may be it. The war really can't possibly have gone on so long without anyone ever getting an upper hand, or finding out the truth. The theory I'm sticking with is that A2 has been around since the last go round, because gently caress, she has to matter to the plot at some point and this is supposed to be the path where that happens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DeafNote posted:

didnt you hear?

Truly a fate worse than death.

Wsintai
Mar 20, 2015
Okay, the Commander is clearly going commando there.

I guess the YoRHA models get to have all the underwear, so they can show it off when they self destruct.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The black and white with the sudden red eyes is such a simple technique, but that is no way undercuts its effectiveness.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well, I guess this explains why the YoRHa battle-bot design was so "generic trash mob enemy."

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
All the operators just got infected, didn't they... :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wsintai posted:

Okay, the Commander is clearly going commando there.

I guess the YoRHA models get to have all the underwear, so they can show it off when they self destruct.

No, but it's only the design sketches that give any idea how the whole underwear situation could even work.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

All the operators just got infected, didn't they... :smith:
What could they even do against 2B? Show them disturbing posts from the ancient human website 4chan?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this is our fault.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

didnt you hear?

I mean we've gotten 3000 B2s, and a couple Os, but I haven't seen any other letters besides E or A or S, but maybe future anime android Bingo is more complicated than that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think they could have held in the red eyes long enough to destroy the only two immune androids.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Glazius posted:

You'd think they could have held in the red eyes long enough to destroy the only two immune androids.

Machines aren't too bright.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Maybe, just maybe, the people who designed the androids could have built in safety features.

One benefit of our good ol' squishy computing is that finding a virus compatible with neurochemical signaling is a bit hard.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

GeneX posted:

Maybe, just maybe, the people who designed the androids could have built in safety features.

One benefit of our good ol' squishy computing is that finding a virus compatible with neurochemical signaling is a bit hard.

What do you think memes are?

ALLYORHABASEAREBELONGTOUS

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Remember how at the end of the last two routes 2B was lamenting that it always ends like this?

I think she made a mistake in not specifying that she wanted a better ending.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GeneX posted:

They do have safety features. See: 2B and 9S counterhacking Simone.

It's just that this is ripping through the security like it wasn't even there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Drakengard!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GeneX posted:

I'm pretty sure the red eye army dudes Caim was fighting in Drakengard were fleshy humans instead of androids. It's just that the androids have better LED technology so their eyes shine bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Geemer posted:

I'm pretty sure the red eye army dudes Caim was fighting in Drakengard were fleshy humans instead of androids.

Probably, but we can never be sure there weren't a few Accords looking things over.

• Locked thread