Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm confused. Are you telling one of them to not be a creep, or both of them?

My assumption was both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought you were joking about there being a stage play.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Less than a single page from banner being made to banner having to be put to use, good job.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Less than a single page from banner being made to banner having to be put to use, good job.

Not an empty quote lol

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

:patriot:

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

:neckbeard:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Chekhov's creeps: an abridged string of forum posts - now a stage play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

**** was 'post' all along

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Solar Tornado posted:

Chekhov's creeps: an abridged string of forum posts - now a stage play.

Crepes are prohibited.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
To this day I can't quite form an opinion on how I feel about Automata's story material being so scattered across so many types of media, much more so than any Taro work so far. It's nuts

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I am now thinking about how much I would like to get Yoko Taro and Suda Goichi together in a room with a pen, a stack of paper, and a whole bunch of booze. Maybe invite Kojima too.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

David Corbett posted:

I am now thinking about how much I would like to get Yoko Taro and Suda Goichi together in a room with a pen, a stack of paper, and a whole bunch of booze. Maybe invite Kojima too.

This time, they come up with a Snatcher radio drama that's also canon to the Nier universe

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

David Corbett posted:

Stunningly, they end up with Breakout because they can't agree on anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Stunningly, they end up with Breakout because they can't agree on anything.

Well, they agreed on Breakout.

Also beer.

Basically, they just made a Breakout drinking game.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Leraika posted:

The Japanese are pretty big on stage plays derived from other media, iirc.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Stuff like this is apparently pretty common in Japan. I think Persona got a whole loving concert dedicated to it.

But it wasn't a play based on a game because the game at that time didn't exist and hadn't been announced. It was just a heartwarming but standalone tale of robots fighting androids in the future and that was filling theaters. (Though hell it sounds a lot more interesting than most of what our local theater group puts on, maybe I should mail them the script...)

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

There's a partial translation of the script of the stage play at http://firesanctuary.com/blog/yorha-stage-play/.

There's also one here: http://nier2.com/yorha-stage-play/

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

David Corbett posted:

Swery is invited to the group, but misreads the directions and drives to Wyoming.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
Japanese literature apparently features the Roman poet Virgil incarnated as a refrigerator. One of their Nobel laureates won the Nobel Prize for literature for a story about deliberating over murdering his retarded newborn baby, and another one of his stories involves himself becoming a nervous wreck after going through with it. Yet another writer is well-known for a mass suicide at an army base.

Zany Japanese post-modernism is a thing. Yoko Taro merely works in the tradition.

Charles_Kinbote fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 14, 2017

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I hope you mean the Nobel prize of Literature because by god

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Solar Tornado posted:

Finished doing the Icon for Hackerman 9S:

and (although it's a couple of acts late into the LP) if anyone starts a weirdly detailed conversation about android anatomy, you can lay out this:

I might just switch my icon over, if you end up making one for A2.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Japanese literature apparently features the Roman poet Virgil incarnated as a refrigerator. One of their Nobel laureates won the Nobel Prize for literature for a story about deliberating over murdering his retarded newborn baby, and another one of his stories involves himself becoming a nervous wreck after going through with it. Yet another writer is well-known for a mass suicide at an army base.

Zany Japanese post-modernism is a thing. Yoko Taro merely works in the tradition.

You know it kinda clicks now. Esoteric plots with philosophical themes where the themes are much more important than a chronologically coherent narrative dosed with heavy handed sexuality is very much modern japanese literature and it’s also very much Taro

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXIV: The Solution to All Problems

Music: Peaceful Sleep (Vocal)

Unfortunately we cannot call the rest of the day off and go get shitfaced with Anemone or anything after A2 completes reading her depressing computer console. Indeed, I don’t think there are any further interactions with A2 and Anemone.

The last err... all of the updates in Route C have been either ominous, a bummer or an ominous bummer... Let’s try to lighten the mood a bit with a sidequest that doesn’t result in depressed robots or any deaths... Probably...

Today’s session takes us over to the back lot of the Resistance Camp. Never mind the huge inferno that was back here during that whole berserk flesh eating machines spat back at the end of Route A. It’s fine now. And an old bad sidequest friend is hanging out here from way back then. This sidequest has actually been floating around since after the Route C title drop. But now seems an appropriate time to actually do it.

Perfect! See, I have some packages that need delivering, but they’re too heavy for me to move out of storage. You mind lending a hand?
<Help him out.>
What, really? Thanks so much! My supervisor is a real hardass, so if this doesn’t get done, I’m a dead man. Just grab all the stuff I need and get it out of there, okay? Think you can get the goods for me?
<Agree to help.>
Great. Thanks a million!

Yep. It’s a continuation of the box pushing sidequest from Route A. Well... I guess A2 could use some menial tasks to take her mind off the whole revisiting the horrors of war and all that jazz.

Once again, our android needs to sloooowly shove the lighter toned wooden boxes around the area to access a couple boxes scattered around the disorganized storeroom. One is over in the bottom right corner.

The other is over on the left side of the room. Not much trouble at all. There’s a couple generic items in other corners of the room but they’re not particularly noteworthy and we can kind of cheat getting them thanks to the item vacuum plug-in chip.

In any case, job’s done. Let’s head on out and hope that android didn’t get gored by a forklift or anything while we were busy.

That storage area is in pretty sad shape. My supervisor came in earlier and really wrecked the place. Seems like I’m always having to clean up after her... Anyway, here’s your payment. Thanks again.
I’m endlessly carrying things, day after day after day. I need a break!

We receive a modest reward. I’ll probably need that Drop Rate Up chip later when farming high end weapon upgrade material that cannot be bought... like Elaborate Gadgets, actually... Those are the real top tier reward from this quest.

That concludes Sorting Trouble 2. However, we’re not done with this questline yet. All the multi-part quests go to at least a third stage and this one is no different.

Activating the next stage of this quest is a bit finicky. We need to refresh the greater City Ruins region. So let’s hop in the teleporter and head to...

Music: City Ruins - Shade

The City Ruins: Center Access Point like a two minute jog away from where we were. The next stage of this quest doesn’t seem to show up on the map. Actually, the map was kind of glitching out on me at this point and pointing out some 9S only quests that would lead to nothing as A2 and also showing Sorting Trouble 2 as being active again.

Either way, the trigger is still working. Remember the building across from Father Servo’s rooftop? The one with the arena-like stack of shipping containers on its roof? If we head there now, we hear...

He... ...lp me. HELP MEEEEEEEEE...!
Alert: Voice patterns detected from inside storage facility.

So begins the final stage of the Sorting Trouble questline series. Sounds like the burly Riddick cosplayer android has gotten himself into a fix.

Entering the rooftop stack of shipping containers reveals it’s a total clusterfuck now. Except for all the boxes in the middle, which can conveniently be shoved aside by A2 in order to reach the trapped android. Just a minute, guy. These YoRHa androids can’t push crates worth a poo poo. They really need to get some lessons from a muscle dad to show ‘em how it’s done.

Some box shifting later and...

Sorry, but could you do me a favor and clear a path so I can get out of here? I hurt my leg trying to force my way out... Also, as you can see, I’m pretty big, so I’m gonna need plenty of space.

We can’t cheat with the box pushing and just have A2 slide between thin gaps in the boxes. We need to shove them out of the way so this bulky idiot can lumber through to the exit too. Weird they don’t make tall stocky moron model androids anymore. Cannot fathom why those were phased out.

My supervisor tore through the place like a tornado and ended up boxing me in. I tell you what, I just can’t keep up with her anym—
Goddammit! THERE you are!

And didn’t I tell you to keep this place ORGANIZED!?

If something’s in the way, just blow it up! This is NOT freakin’ difficult!
But I... don’t have any explosives.
The build some! I mean, just LOOK at the crap around here. I could build ten bombs with this.
But there’s no way to—
Wah wah wah! Zip it already! Time to teach you some goddamn bomb-making skills.
But I just work in storage! I don’t need to know how to make a bo—
Cram it! Even a lowly warehouse man needs to know how to blow things up!

You can have this. Not much, I know, but whatever. Anyway, I’ll see you later. Right now I have to spend all night teaching this idiot how to craft a simple bomb.
All night!? What!?

We receive another modest amount of cash and loot for our efforts in helping out Jackass’s dipshit, non-bomber subordinate. Like the Elaborate Gadget, the Complex Gadget is also one of the very few materials that cannot simply be bought and must be farmed or obtained from any means. So it’s nice to get a few from a quest. But that’s not our only reward.

We also receive the Pod Program - A120: Repair. It’s nice of 2B to continue to lend her likeness to Pod Programs obtainable only after she’s long dead.

The Repair Pod Program causes our Pod to emit a brief healing beam that lasts for around six seconds. I’m not sure of the exact number formula given all the variable stats from plug-in chip boosts and current levels and whatnot. In my instance, this healed six times over the course of 6 seconds for a total of 2016 HP or about 30% of A2’s current 6712 total HP. For reference, a Small Recovery item heals 25% and is instantaneous with zero cooldown and can be spammed repeatedly if necessary. There’s a ten second cooldown on Repair.

Charging up the Repair Program to Level 3 causes all three Pods to produce a healing beam. This time it healed 738 HP a second for six seconds for a total of 4428 HP or roughly 66% of A2’s total 6712 HP. Again... Medium Recovery does 50% restoration instantly. Large Recovery offers 75% health restoration instantly. Zero cooldown timer on either of these. Twenty second cooldown for a Level 3 Repair with a five second charge up and casting time.

We’ve found it! It’s the single most useless Pod Program in the game! Nice troll, Jackass... However, her final reward makes up for it. Yes, there’s more...

Jackass’s patented bomb recipe. Top tier value on this one. You be you with your explosives. It’d be more appropriate for Jackass to have given the Bomb Pod Program. But I suppose Repair is more appropriate for anyone beefing this crafting recipe and blowing off a limb.

In any case, that concludes the final round of Sorting Trouble and most of the available sidequests still outstanding for A2.

So that means it’s time to say goodbye to the City Ruins and head to the Machine Village to get A2’s sandy android joints sorted out. Tune in next time when our murder hobo encounters an entire town of cutesy friendly machines. It’s sure to go swimmingly as NieR: Automata continues!

A2 Concept Art – Please stop staring at the robutt.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Nijuukoo/status/930217289755926528

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It occurs to me that there is a good chance that the machine disney world is in fact the happiest place left on Earth, maybe even after zombie infection.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

She finally got that t-shirt...

A bit too late :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Jackass's presence redeems that whole sidequest chain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mega64 posted:

Jackass's presence redeems that whole sidequest chain.

It does!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Dark Id posted:

Cram it! Even a lowly warehouse man needs to know how to blow things up!

This right here is my line of the game because having worked in a warehouse for years, this is way truer than you might realize.

(We actually did seal a dude in a truck akin to this quest once. It was a tiring day.)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Dark Id posted:

Jackass’s patented bomb recipe. Top tier value on this one. You be you with your explosives. It’d be more appropriate for Jackass to have given the Bomb Pod Program. But I suppose Repair is more appropriate for anyone beefing this crafting recipe and blowing off a limb.

I like how Jackass' "simple" bomb recipe requires pieces of high end Yorha tech and a half-dozen corpses from both sides to work. Maybe that's why 9S keeps trashing flight units, he's got a deal with Jackass to wreck flight units and send the parts on the down low.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jagged Jim posted:

I like how Jackass' "simple" bomb recipe requires pieces of high end Yorha tech and a half-dozen corpses from both sides to work. Maybe that's why 9S keeps trashing flight units, he's got a deal with Jackass to wreck flight units and send the parts on the down low.

well after the initial investment, it becomes self-sustaining as you just grab all the corpses left behind by the last explosion

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
With those Anemone records, the game seems to continue to not really know how to handle that whole "we can just restore androids from their last data upload" thing. I mean, yeah, war is hell, seeing your friends die and sacrifice themselves is awful, etc, but none of those Yorha should be dead dead (well, then. Everybody's dead now). I don't know if things are quite as clear about the resistance grunts.

Hell, if the bunker was receiving "combat data" right up until the end, presumably they could be receiving backup data right until the end too. They wouldn't even have to lose much of their experiences.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

With those Anemone records, the game seems to continue to not really know how to handle that whole "we can just restore androids from their last data upload" thing. I mean, yeah, war is hell, seeing your friends die and sacrifice themselves is awful, etc, but none of those Yorha should be dead dead (well, then. Everybody's dead now). I don't know if things are quite as clear about the resistance grunts.

Hell, if the bunker was receiving "combat data" right up until the end, presumably they could be receiving backup data right until the end too. They wouldn't even have to lose much of their experiences.

It's YoRHa exclusive.

And they did still have the data, it's just, well, those memories wouldn't make for the most reliable soldiers vis a vis loyalty to command and mankind. Best to start over from the baseline.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Plus, even if your data gets uploaded and then downloaded on a new platform, that’s not the same “you” that just died. That you is dead and isn’t coming back, the new you just has that ones memories.

Worth remembering that 2B and 9S canonically died twice in the game (in the prologue and at the beginning of route C) with the first death being treated pretty importantly, and the second one not so if only because of how much chaos was going on at the same time. Plus yeah, a couple of the androids got corrupted and the others were seen as expendable from the moment the mission started.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

Plus, even if your data gets uploaded and then downloaded on a new platform, that’s not the same “you” that just died. That you is dead and isn’t coming back, the new you just has that ones memories.

Worth remembering that 2B and 9S canonically died twice in the game (in the prologue and at the beginning of route C) with the first death being treated pretty importantly, and the second one not so if only because of how much chaos was going on at the same time. Plus yeah, a couple of the androids got corrupted and the others were seen as expendable from the moment the mission started.

Even the ones who weren't outright corrupted had information they shouldn't. We saw with the deserters quest how that tends to play out.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

The Dark Id posted:

We’ve found it! It’s the single most useless Pod Program in the game! Nice troll, Jackass...

I found exactly one use for it: While going nuts in the infinite-spawn areas with Berserk Mode on, the Repair program is a handy way to keep your health up during a lull between waves without wasting inventory.

I like to think Jackass would approve of longer 'zerk killstreaks.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Aeolius posted:

I found exactly one use for it: While going nuts in the infinite-spawn areas with Berserk Mode on, the Repair program is a handy way to keep your health up during a lull between waves without wasting inventory.

I like to think Jackass would approve of longer 'zerk killstreaks.

Auto-heal chips do the same for free.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jagged Jim posted:

Uhh, have you played this game? There's YorHa bodies everywhere, they're like a dime a dozen even before they start falling out of the sky from that whole exploding space station dealio. And don't get me started on the boss rooms. I'm pretty sure Jackass made her bomb instructions the way she did because they have more android/machine bodies than they know what to do with so they're just casting about for things to do with them. Helmets, cosplay, decorative planters...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"I made a fort out of 9S's corpses. 'Welcome to my Fortress of Nerds' I used to say, right up 'til it got 'et by hungry machines."

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Magil of Shadow posted:

I might just switch my icon over, if you end up making one for A2.

I hope it's to your liking :)

and to anyone who wants for any reason to edit these to their liking here are all 6 of them with a transparent background

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

euphronius posted:

I thought you were joking about there being a stage play.

I almost wish I hadn't been spoiled on its existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Charles_Kinbote posted:

The author you are talking about is Kenzaburo Oe, and you should absolutely read the book A Personal Matter. It's a really good book.

• Locked thread