Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

quote:

If I’m not mistaken, this is the very last A2 exclusive sidequest left in the game. We’re currently at 90% sidequest completion. This will take us to 92%. Leaving four or five more sidequests in 9S’s hands. Though two of those are going to be post-game affairs since they are... rather frikkin’ large time sinks I’ll have to do by my lonesome.

exclusive yes
there's a sidequest both she and 9S could have done (which I did with A2, so it will be interesting to see how 9S does it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Pascal Concept Art – ROB was actually a machine lifeform scout this entire time.

I knew there was a reason not to trust that little Famicom gently caress!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, here comes a whole bunch of liars.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Mmmm. I see. It seems this Nietzsche was quite the profound thinker.
<examines book closer> Or perhaps he skipped right past profound and went straight to crazy instead.

This is probably one of my favorite lines in the game and makes me wish Pascal got more chances to insult people (assuming he'd take them anyway, he's too nice for his own good most of the time).

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Bufuman posted:

This is probably one of my favorite lines in the game and makes me wish Pascal got more chances to insult people (assuming he'd take them anyway, he's too nice for his own good most of the time).
I honestly wasn't sure that Id hadn't just forgot to italicise that bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

I honestly wasn't sure that Id hadn't just forgot to italicise that bit.

The delivery is what really sells it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

quote:

Hypothesis: The valuable source of information known as Pascal has encountered difficulty. Proposal: Unit A2 should investigate Pascal’s village immediately.
I’m on my way!

Exclamation: Now that's more like it!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When I got this cutscene I was all "oh poo poo, did I just introduce Pascal to Nietzsche?". Then I got his next line and remembered that he's smarter than most humans.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Dark Id posted:

Pascal Concept Art – ROB was actually a machine lifeform scout this entire time.

"i need you to design a cute benevolent robot"
very good, taro-san

"then the robot will ultimately only understand suffering"
...very good, taro-san

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

very good, taro-san

...very good, taro-san

Apparently, Taro sometimes lies to character designers so that the design for someone doesn't match their personality.

Like sometimes he implies that a character won't look with envy on the dead by the end of the story. That Taro! What a card!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Saddest Rhino posted:

very good, taro-san

...very good, taro-san

”Cute! He will surely sell well!”

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pascal telling Literature teachers to balls since 11945

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Alaan posted:

I suspect Automata’s budget is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than any previous game. Even competent devs need the time money buys.

I wonder how much that script changes as vision didn’t match reality of what was shipping. Alternatively, how much did the localization change it from the JP release.

Still not high enough. The fighting mechanics are not deep enough (evade-dodge everything!) and the exploration is ruined by the presence of multiple walls and simply not enough secrets worth extracting. Hopefully Yoko Taro will get a decent budget and dev team, next time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
What you have to keep in mind about this game that it isnt a dark souls game or whatever. Its a platinum game so its basically a devil may cry game. In devil may cry games they do give you healing items and the combat is pretty simple. But the thing is youre expected to not use healing items and youre supposed to have fun with all the diffrent moves instead of just spamming the same basic attacks. This would probably be more clearer if the game had a combo meter which rated how groovy you were with your attacks and rated you on how many healing items you used.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Still not high enough. The fighting mechanics are not deep enough (evade-dodge everything!) and the exploration is ruined by the presence of multiple walls and simply not enough secrets worth extracting. Hopefully Yoko Taro will get a decent budget and dev team, next time.

He got Platinum's A team.

They're not "decent". They're exceptional. The go-tos for stylish action. And they gave a solid system that allows for a wide array of execution using pretty basic inputs. There are combo videos showing some of what you can do with the engine. It goes deep.

The fact you never need to dive is a matter of design, not capability. Throwing more money at things might change things, but there's no "better" team you could have gotten.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Charles_Kinbote posted:

What development team would have been better than the team that made Bayonetta and MGR?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Iretep posted:

What you have to keep in mind about this game that it isnt a dark souls game or whatever. Its a platinum game so its basically a devil may cry game. In devil may cry games they do give you healing items and the combat is pretty simple. But the thing is youre expected to not use healing items and youre supposed to have fun with all the diffrent moves instead of just spamming the same basic attacks. This would probably be more clearer if the game had a combo meter which rated how groovy you were with your attacks and rated you on how many healing items you used.

I actually feel like Nier:A should've had some kind of a style system, even the first Nier rewarded you for stuff like keeping up a long combo. There are so many mechanics the game just doesn't give you an incentive to use unless you're someone who makes combo videos.

But I totally understand why they didn't go for that. The game is exceptional as Platinum game because it's so entirely based on being highly accessible so the player can experience the story.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Platinum Games are also masters at making the most of a small budget and then going over it as evidenced by recycling content (via backtracking) in both Bayonetta 1 and 2 and how short Metal Gear Rising is. MGR was basically put together under a year based on some existing design and technology which is to be thanked for the excellent cutting mechanic. PG has a solid engine they can use to quickly create new character action games such as the licensed Activision titles.

I don't think Nier Automata had a huge budget either but it feels like a larger game than it actually is. Maybe it's a good idea we didn't get more half-assed systems like the dead body retrieval and instead got a great, focused story with a solid battle system.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Iretep posted:

I like this game but even DMC2 and the crappy ninja theory game have a bigger variety of enemies in this game, and they don't have stupid enemy level scaling that means the exact same machine can either be a 20 minute nightmare slog or a curbstomp.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Think 9S was in the Meat Box when A2 walked by it?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

darealkooky posted:

I like this game but even DMC2 and the crappy ninja theory game have a bigger variety of enemies in this game, and they don't have stupid enemy level scaling that means the exact same machine can either be a 20 minute nightmare slog or a curbstomp.

I'm pretty sure the enemies in this game don't scale at all. With the exception of the gold enemies, if you're having difficulty with them then it's because you're at a much lower level, which means you're probably rushing through the main plot too quickly and doing few side quests.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think he means a level 1 stubby and a level 50 stubby look and act the same but one has a billion more HP.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXVIII: An Inevitability

Music: Widespread Illness

So ditching the plot when a crisis is occurring is once more a poor life choice. That’s fine. We’ll get back on track and hurry over to the Machine Village to see what’s ailing ‘em this time. Hopefully it’s just another Bad Bot or—

Music: ENDS

Uh oh...

UH OH!

UH OH!

UH OH!!

Music: Wretched Weaponry

The machines are... eating each other!? Pod, where’s Pascal!?
Unknown. Cannot establish connection.

A2 advances forward all of a yard before a very upset looking Pascal zooms up on his hover butt from below.

What happened!?
I don’t know. Some of the villagers suddenly went mad. They began attacking their friends. I managed to help the children flee to safety. But I fear everyone else is...
You need to get out of here before you’re next. Just go. Run! I’ll figure out how to handle this!
But what about you?
These guys can’t touch me. Now move your rear end!
R-Right! <hovers off>

Welp. As disheartening as it is to see the Machine Village destroyed, we all knew this was eventually going to happen in some form. Frankly, it’s surprising it lasted this long with minimal trouble. Route A/B were all about world building. Route C is about world destroying. So here we are... A2’s new task is to destroy all of the berserk machines and save anyone she can.

She will only be succeeding in that first part... It’s too late to help any of the torn apart nameless machines. They’ll expire on their own if they’re not caught in the fight between A2 and the rampaging robots.

Most of the named machines in the village are already dead. Hope you bought everything from the shop keepers here because the machine village economy has officially crashed and so has its proprietors.

Turns out the machine family came back to the village at some point. Father Machine has gone joined the ranks of the mad machines. He has to be put down.

We’re a bit too late to help the rest of his family...

The recluse Son Machine’s overbearing mother didn’t make it. According to the radar, the hermit kid is still in his house... His burning house. Locked behind an unhackable lock. So welp... Not much we can do there to help.

I’m afraid the Weird Machine’s playing dumb act wasn’t enough to save him from the cannibal machine onslaught. Smart and dumb machine steel tastes just the same to them. Assuming machines can taste.

Jean-Paul’s friend and the Machine with Make Up both have been retired. Yet somehow that prick Jean-Paul is still out there perfectly fine. Bastard...

Pascal didn’t manage to evacuate all the machine children. Everyone down in the playground pit ate it. Never get did to tell Little Sister machine where children come from...

It’s pretty annoying to track down every single hostile machine, especially since two of ‘em are the obnoxious worm machines doing slow looping patterns at the top and middle layers of the village. Given the 2D plane this area is locked into, it’s actually kind of difficult to lock onto their weak point and there’s only a limited window before it’s arbitrarily out of bounds from attack. But once all the hostile machines are destroyed...

Pod, scan for survivors.
Scanning. No life signs detected.
None, huh...?

New Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet Vocal)

Ah! A2! How is my village? My people?
I’m sorry. I couldn’t help them.
Oh no...
Are the children all right?
I’ve taken them to the abandoned factory.
All right. I’m on my way.

Pascal, I dunno if the Abandoned Factory would be my first choice for taking a bunch of machine refugees. That place’s history doesn’t have the most stellar survival rate regarding machines. But if you say so...

Remember how I mentioned earlier it is best not to go off the beaten path with 9S when playing as him as it’ll spoil things? Yeah, if you ever come here as 9S in his chapters it’s an empty charred ruin. We’ll check that out next time we swap characters. But for now, let’s head over to...

The Abandoned Factory. There was already one machine massacre here. Maybe the reasoning is it would be absurd for two to happen the same week. Let’s head on in.

Oh, A2...
So what exactly happened?
I don’t know. Some of the villagers just started to... feed on each other. If you hadn’t come along, I’m sure we would have met the same grim fate. Thank you.

So we’ve got some downtime now. Boy... were where they hiding all of these machine children? This is like twice the normal population of the Machine Village when running around. Did they have a shipping container full of ‘em out back...? Regardless, in order to progress we need to speak with Pascal a few times and he’ll answer questions on recent events leading up to this latest disaster.

However... what if we just started attacking some of these unfamiliar robot children? I mean... I’ve never seen most of these kids before. What if they’re dormant berserk machine infiltrators?! Better safe than sorry.

A2!? Stop that at once! If we’re destroyed now, we can’t be restored! This isn’t funny!

Look, better safe than sorry. We’ll just cull a couple to weed out any suspect machines and...

Tch... Caim wouldn’t have gotten a mission failure ending for killing a bunch of unarmed kids.

Video: Episode 118 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this.)

Machine Village Concept Art – They should have known something was up when they were named “11945’s Mostly Likely to Be Burned to the Ground Village” in a recent machine lifeform poll. :smith:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This feels like a perfect time to go berserk, not because you need the damage boost but because you want to brutalize those who tore apart one of the few happy places in the game.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I visited the place as 9S so I knew something was coming. That didn't make it any easier though.

In case it wasn't clear from this update, I'm pretty sure every single questgiver in the machine village besides Pascal, the shut-in and Jean-Paul bites it. Finding the Machine Family's corpses was a real bummer. :smith:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you don't take Jean-Paul's quests, is he still hanging around the village to get eaten? Cause that might be worth it....

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Current Crazy Train Status: :piss:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
To be honest that was so telegraphed it was almost boring. Yoko Taro doesn't get enough benefit of the doubt, at this point, to have sidequests about building a slide and helping children that mean anything good is on the way.

I'm also not really getting the sense that A2 has any reason to care about any of this, other than the fact that nearly every other friendly NPC besides Pascal is already dead or crazy.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The actual unexpected twist was Yorha being destroyed since i was expecting that place to be the final villain or something.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

predictable or not, images like these got me in my heart

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drakengard!

I'm really surprised Pascal made it. Do we know any of the surviving kid machines?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Drakengard!

I'm really surprised Pascal made it. Do we know any of the surviving kid machines?

We can always stick their cores in new machines so it'll only be a temporary death.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Kavak posted:

I'm really surprised Pascal made it.

...Suddenly I'm very worried Pascal will become a boss fight :smith:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

StandardVC10 posted:

To be honest that was so telegraphed it was almost boring. Yoko Taro doesn't get enough benefit of the doubt, at this point, to have sidequests about building a slide and helping children that mean anything good is on the way.

I'm also not really getting the sense that A2 has any reason to care about any of this, other than the fact that nearly every other friendly NPC besides Pascal is already dead or crazy.

The destruction of the machine village was never matter of "if", only "when". That the machine village was destroyed isn't surprising. Where it goes from here is the fun part.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I don't know; I think going there first as 9S would make it even more tense. You'd see the destroyed village and think "what the gently caress happened here?" Then when you play A2 again, you'd have a huge sense of dread the entire time.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
We all knew this day would come. :(

I'm honestly amazed anyone survived at all. Presumably it's only so something else can happen to twist the knife further.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

...! posted:

I don't know; I think going there first as 9S would make it even more tense. You'd see the destroyed village and think "what the gently caress happened here?" Then when you play A2 again, you'd have a huge sense of dread the entire time.

If you go to the village as 9S first it's just empty, not visibly destroyed. I mean the reaction of "what the gently caress happened here" was the same but at the time I figured it was either "everyone evacuated after the tower erupted out of the ground" or "weird game bug where there's just literally nobody showing up".

This was also awhile ago and I didn't check back after this sequence with A2, so it's possible it's a bit more visibly destroyed after you know what happens to it :shrug:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The village getting destroyed isn't that surprising but the sheer brutality of it caught me off guard. I really didn't think the Cannibal Holobots were going to show up again, especially not like that.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
Hoo boy! Boy oh boy! This part is...dang. It was just VICIOUS when it first occurred and I wasn't expecting it. Especially with the sidequests I was doing with the main quest. 'I know, I'll just take care of everything at once! :downs: '
SUDDENLY EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AND EVERYONE IS EATING EACH OTHER WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OmegaCake posted:

Hoo boy! Boy oh boy! This part is...dang. It was just VICIOUS when it first occurred and I wasn't expecting it. Especially with the sidequests I was doing with the main quest. 'I know, I'll just take care of everything at once! :downs: '
SUDDENLY EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AND EVERYONE IS EATING EACH OTHER WHY

Yup. The fact that the trigger is a mission seeming no different from the other sidequests is the trick. You know poo poo's going to go down, but you figure it's going to be soon, not in the middle of picking up a philosophy textbook.

Pascal really should have learned from route A that bad things happen when you get YoRHa doing your deliveries.

• Locked thread