Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly the only viable solution to having a bunch of dead parents is to become as gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

It's okay. Pascal saved all of the children...oh wait that's probably going to make everything worse isn't it :yokotaro:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I think the implication is supposed to be that the Bad Bot was carrying the logic virus and the infection started to spread before the bot got put down.

This is what anti-logic vaccines are for Pascal, next time don't let Mother Machine spread that anti-vax bullshit just so she can feel "woke"!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Don't listen to that post above! And any other so-called experts!

Fluoridation is a dangerous plot to sap and impurify our precious hydraulic fluids!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

To people who never played the rest of the series , this part must have been pretty shocking since it happens so abruptly. Still, I feel that for those who have been exposed to Yoko Taro's previous works, the impact might be ruined a little because they're already expecting something like this to happen. I don't know if they played the game or not, but there were a lot of posts in this thread before where people joked "Oh boy, a cute machine village! Surely nothing can go wrong here!"

Maybe that's why Yoko Taro made it so that the village's destruction is so brutal. It's a real kick in the gut seeing all the corpses of all the machine NPCs you've helped. :(

...Unless you got the bright idea to keep the Shockwave chip equipped at this point and destroyed their corpses while swinging your weapons around. :downs:

chiasaur11 posted:

Yup. The fact that the trigger is a mission seeming no different from the other sidequests is the trick. You know poo poo's going to go down, but you figure it's going to be soon, not in the middle of picking up a philosophy textbook.

Pascal really should have learned from route A that bad things happen when you get YoRHa doing your deliveries.

I really appreciate that the trigger mission is the one that's the least pain in the rear end to do, so you'd be easily tricked into doing it first. It's a very Cavia touch. :golfclap:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The destruction of most of our robot friends is horrible and all, but I think we've all forgotten about what's truly important...

Can you still use the slide?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

amigolupus posted:

It's a real kick in the gut seeing all the corpses of all the machine NPCs you've helped. :(

That's the part that got me, honestly. The machine sisters especially. Maybe it's because they gave me those bows 2B and 9S wore for most of routes A/B.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That's the part that got me, honestly. The machine sisters especially. Maybe it's because they gave me those bows 2B and 9S wore for most of routes A/B.

Same. My 9S rocked that pink bow for all of route B.

(2B got the Lunar Tear instead though)

Both sad and heartwarming to see Little Sister died trying to protect Big Sister. I'm not crying, you're crying! :qq:

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
NieR: Automata was the first Yoko Taro game I played - well, the only one, to be honest. But I played it knowing nothing of the others - not having read The Dark Id's LPs, not having spoiled myself on plot points, nothing.

So this part hit hard.

Frankly, a lot of parts hit hard. This one did stand out, though. Not the top, but...up there.

(Aside: My running commentary as I tried to puzzle out what in the world happened in NieR from the pieces left in Automata was apparently entertaining to a friend.)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I bet that no good Jean Paul did this

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Not gonna lie, when I saw this part I figured "oh it's just Yoko Taro's death quota".

Caim should be happy, he indirectly murdered all of humanity!

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
In a weird twisted way, I was sorta relieved when I got to this part; from the moment I first saw the village, I was pretty sure it was gonna get wiped off the map sooner or later, but I was worried that I'd be the one who'd end up having to personally slaughter everyone in it. Maybe the Exterminatus order would come down from the Commander, or maybe whoever I'd be controlling at the time would have some sort of berserk virus, or maybe 9S or A2 would Do A Racism, or something like that.

But no, the villagers end up taking each other out. So... uh... whew?

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 22, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah,I went to get the book from Anemone first because easy right? All those sidequests. :(

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
It's all in the 'How', not the 'If'. I was pretty sure the village was toast for most of the game, but that didn't make seeing it implode hurt any less. Their sidequests endeared me to them a lot so seeing them start to literally cannibalize each other was rough.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, it shoulda been called Chekhov's Village.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Not gonna lie, when I saw this part I figured "oh it's just Yoko Taro's death quota".

Caim should be happy, he indirectly murdered all of humanity!

Drakenier is a series about a man who wanted to kill everybody and was rewarded by getting exactly what he wanted forever

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FisheyStix posted:

Drakenier is a series about a man who wanted to kill everybody and was rewarded by getting exactly what he wanted forever

Well, he hasn't killed all the robots.

Yet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I see nothing wrong with A2's "bright" idea. She's just relieving those kids of the memories of their parents demise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I see nothing wrong with A2's "bright" idea. She's just relieving those kids of the memories of their parents demise.

Ah, the Socratic method.

"Let us reflect in another way, and we shall see that there is great reason to hope that death is a good; for one of two things—either death is a state of nothingness and utter unconsciousness, or, as men say, there is a change and migration of the soul from this world to another. Now if you suppose that there is no consciousness, but a sleep like the sleep of him who is undisturbed even by dreams, death will be an unspeakable gain. For if a person were to select the night in which his sleep was undisturbed even by dreams, and were to compare with this the other days and nights of his life, and then were to tell us how many days and nights he had passed in the course of his life better and more pleasantly than this one, I think that any man, I will not say a private man, but even the great king will not find many such days or nights, when compared with the others. Now if death be of such a nature, I say that to die is gain; for eternity is then only a single night."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OmegaCake posted:

SUDDENLY EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AND EVERYONE IS EATING EACH OTHER WHY

:yokotaro:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

FrankZP posted:

In a weird twisted way, I was sorta relieved when I got to this part; from the moment I first saw the village, I was pretty sure it was gonna get wiped off the map sooner or later, but I was worried that I'd be the one who'd end up having to personally slaughter everyone in it. Maybe the Exterminatus order would come down from the Commander, or maybe whoever I'd be controlling at the time would have some sort of berserk virus, or maybe 9S or A2 would Do A Racism, or something like that.

Same. I really thought that's where this route was headed. Then after A2 met Pascal and was cool with him I started to worry even harder about how badly our boy Nines was regressing back to 'kill all machines'.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The blood god Yoko Taro looks down once more on his subjects with glee.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

FrankZP posted:

When I saw the update before this one, I thought that 9S was slaughtering the villagers as part of his descent into madness, so yeah, this wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Solitair posted:

this wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Uh oh, you said the magic Drakengard words

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
I like to think Jean-Paul knew things would go awry sooner or later, that's why he left. rear end in a top hat saved his own butt, and didn't warn aynone. Selfish to the very end D:

Just to justify not liking him, if even needed to be justified at this point.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

KamikazePotato posted:

It's all in the 'How', not the 'If'. I was pretty sure the village was toast for most of the game, but that didn't make seeing it implode hurt any less. Their sidequests endeared me to them a lot so seeing them start to literally cannibalize each other was rough.

It's a hell of a compliment to Taro as a storyteller and world builder, that a twist can be so obviously coming yet still has so much impact.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Nier Automata is on sale right now on Steam if anyone wants to get this game even after this update, but be aware that the PC version has some bugs and performance issues that S-E never fixed (in fact, the only patch they made was to activate the DLC, it didn't do anything else), so if you plan to play it on PC use this fan-made fix: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/

Also a controller, the kb/m controls are bad.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/933376580927328256

Happy Drakengard LP Day! :v:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Nohman posted:

Happy Drakengard LP Day! :v:

If Yoko Taro doesn't drink himself to death in the next eight, just imagine what might be. :allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I immediately wiped the machine village off the map the first time I got there. My orders were to kill all machines, so I did. I thought the "friendly" machines were created by Command to test my loyalty. Yeah...

I got that joke ending earlier than most people.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, I had been hinted about the joke ending myself, so I went after every machine there way back in Route A.

Fun fact: Unlike Endings J and R, where you only need to kill one of the NPCs in the area to trigger them, Ending N requires you to kill every single machine in the village (and you need to do it all in one go, otherwise any machines you kill will respawn if you take one step outside the village). Also, the Goliath in the pit area is level 30, and it takes an absolute eternity to kill when it has 15 levels on 2B and gets 5 full seconds of invulnerability while it screams "No fighting!" lines after every. Single. Attack.

I wasn't surprised when I saw Id put it off until Route B. :v:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 22, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wait, does the destruction of the machine village mean that Pascal's theme doesn't play anywhere anymore?

We... We've suffered a terrible loss.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Aumanor posted:

Wait, does the destruction of the machine village mean that Pascal's theme doesn't play anywhere anymore?

We... We've suffered a terrible loss.

Those cute lil tin cans had a real earworm, too. :smith: It's been playing in my head on repeat all morning.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Also, I killed all the amusement park machines (including Party Tank) the first time I got there and was disappointed when they respawned. When I got a trophy after killing a few, I thought I was doing the right thing.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXIX: pascifism.txt

Music: Wretched Weaponry (Quiet Vocal)

Alright. Going berserk and murdering all these machines isn’t going to help anyone. So let’s cool it and try to assess the situation this time. Speaking with Pascal will progress the narrative. But we can also speak to some of the scared child robots too. Let’s see what the machine tikes have to say about their home being razed and all their parents dying horribly.

What does “dying” mean?
It’s all right. You’re safe with us.
Where did everyone go?
I can’t see mommy anymore?

We didn’t do anything bad...
Is everyone dead?
Their bodies won’t get better?
I’m so tired...

Where’s my mommy?
It’s all over...
White flag... No desire to fight...
Somebody help us...

Welp. Morale is understandably low with the Machine Village survivors. Let’s see if we can’t speak with Pascal to figure out what in the hell happened. We were gone for literally like ten minutes...

> Can’t you regenerate your dead villagers?

Unfortunately, we cannot regenerate our cores. Cores contain the data which forms our self-consciousness. If one is destroyed, there is no way to restore it. We usually store our cores in safe places, but this time, the villagers had their cores destroyed as well as their bodies.
I see...

> Is this factory safe?

It was once occupied by a cadre of fellow machines that had gone berserk. However, 2B took care of that threat. It is quite safe now. We’ve been using it as storage for some time.
All right.

> We really need more info...

Proposal: Unit A2 should secure the safety of Pascal and the children immediately.
What’s the hurry?
Haste is predicated on data obtained from the recently restored cross-regional Pod network.
Wait, there’s more of you?
Affirmative. Cross-regional data reveals a large number of machine lifeforms amassing around these ruins.
What!?

Music: Wretched Weaponry

Pascal!
Aaaah! A2!

We probably should have barred the front door or something. These jerks just waltzed right in. They’re just a couple of medium bipeds with electrical overdrive attacks. Not too much of a problem. But A2 has to be careful not to kill any of the machine children in the melee, lest she trigger that previous Bad End.

Music: ENDS

I’ll smash ‘em before they can reach this room.
You... you must let me help you! I will smash them up and kill them!

You idiots hosed with the wrong kindly machine uncle... Let’s go, partner.

Music: Song of the Ancients ~ Atonement

Pascal, what the hell did you do to piss off the machines this much!? Did you burn some effigy of Adam and say he had a flat rear end? They’re REALLY mad!

We can sort it out later. Right now we have to take ‘em down!

Our new objective is acing all of these angry machines. Of which there is infinite a WHOLE lot... Hey, those yellow orbs right now? That’s Pascal. Turns out Pascal has offensive capabilities now that he’s pissed. There is that and also...

A doom ray that one-shots any and all machines in his path. Pascal is not loving about. You’re messing with his kids. Pascal’s Wager says get hosed!

...A2? I have an idea. Please buy me a bit of time!

We’ll do what we can, Pascal. But CHRIST, there’s a lot of angry robots! This had better be goo—

Come on, Goliaths too...!?

On top of a nearly infinite supply of angry Small and Medium berserk machine lifeforms we’ve now got a Goliath Tank to deal with here. It acts exactly the same as the Golden and Party Tanks but it’s not helping when surrounded by an endless swarm of adds wanting to rumble.

A2 can fight the generic machine lifeforms until the cows come home, but until she shatters the tyranny of the Goliath Tank, this brawl will continue indefinitely.

A2 is sure to be worn out from battling a couple dozen pissy machines on a tear and a frikkin’ tank. As such, she’s into a limping 2B dyingish sort of stance by the time...

They’re still coming!?

...poo poo gets worse. A2 is tough but dang. I dunno... What if w—

Fear not, A2! I can handle this!

Let’s rock, baby!

So we’re now back to controlling Pascal, who is on a murder bender controlling this Engels unit we killed back in the prologue. You all hosed with the wrong nice machine uncle!

Engels Pascal’s attacks include a wide swing attack that while instantly annihilate anything in front of its range using the weak attack button...

Sprawling gun fire that will also one-shot any enemies in very close range. Assuming they’re not killed by Pascal-Engels just walking into them...

...and an overhead strike that will obliterate anything immediately in front of the pissed robot uncle.

This is just a very one sided massacre as Pascal flips his poo poo at these lovely machines having wronged his peaceful village. It’s a good time. Eventually...

Music: ENDS

Pascal just unleashes an Engels energy ray that annihilated most of 2B’s squadron to take out all the advancing machine lifeforms. gently caress yeah, right...? Right.

Naw, dawg...

Music: The Sound of the End

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED!!

So this is happening now! PlatinumGames almost certainly barged into Yoko Taro’s office and said “man you gotta give us some loving over the top set-piece...” so here we are... Pascal vs. Engels.

This entire fight is about animation priority. Engels’ default attack is long right hook. We’ve got to initiate that before the rival opponent can do the same! Get wrecked, nerd!

Triangle/Y/Strong Attack is an overhead strike. As soon as the rival Engels faces something like that...

Bitch, you weren’t using that arm for anyone worth a drat! Bring it!

Our only other option here is a block which deals no damage from the enemy but wastes everyone’s time. Just noting it exists. Pascal is not loving about with that nonsense!

You hosed with Pascal’s family. Pacifism has ended. Pascal is here for blood!

K.O.

Flawless Victory... FATALITY!

Video: Episode 119 Highlight Reel
(Go watch this!)

Engels Concept Art – This is the last time we see a sentient oil rig...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Those poor baby machines. I was all "Haha holy poo poo" with the village, but they made me sad :(

Also, can Pascal be a player character now?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Seriously, everyone, watch the highlight video.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

How in the world had I forgotten about the best boss fight in the game.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots: THE REVENGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I bought the soundtrack for this game. I know it's used in a few pivotal fights - like the final phase of Eve - but the scene I always think of for Sound of the End is this one.

Pascal. Engels. And a sun positioned just right to feel like an eternal twilight on the clash of titans.

...9S is lucky Pascal was too surprised to fight back against him in that abandoned ending, isn't he?

• Locked thread