Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

The greatest game of Rock'em Sock'em Robots in the history of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
FOR :black101: PACIFISM :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jetamo posted:

The greatest game of Rock'em Sock'em Robots in the history of the world.

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avpWOj0Cqv0
:pseudo:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Whew Pascal killed the bad robots and now everything is fine now and they're all safe and will be for the rest of the game, thank God. For a moment I was really worried something bad was going to happen there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gullwhacker posted:

...9S is lucky Pascal was too surprised to fight back against him in that abandoned ending, isn't he?

I don't know what's coming, but I have a horrifying terrible thought that 9S in his next scenario has found another flight unit and is coming to attack the Engels still standing.

Please tell me I'm wrong :smith:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't know what's coming, but I have a horrifying terrible thought that 9S in his next scenario has found another flight unit and is coming to attack the Engels still standing.

Please tell me I'm wrong :smith:
Don't worry, without 2B he can't actually take them out after ramming them. Which is the only way he can land.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah I'm totally sure that 9S's machine genocide spree and hate boner for A2 won't bring him to the factory in a couple of minutes. Surely he's not already there.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Don't be afraid, comrades. Fear is the mind killer, and uncle Pascal has let it pass over him, and behold: he remains.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
I think Pascal rising out of the water here is my favorite moment of the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I guess that's one way to ensure that no violence will be done to you and yours (starting now). You assholes ran afoul of Pascal's pacifism, and he just pacified the gently caress out of your collective shits!

Pascal is the best nice uncle robot.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Pascal got an oil platform and he's not afraid to to spread his teachings with it!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Children status: protected. :toot:

Arkannoyed posted:

I think Pascal rising out of the water here is my favorite moment of the game.

I love how the invading armada just stops right there.

"...This can't be good."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Does A2 use the same attack animations as 2B that Id showed earlier, or is her moveset different?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

StandardVC10 posted:

Does A2 use the same attack animations as 2B that Id showed earlier, or is her moveset different?

There's only one difference in their movesets:

As 2B, if you hold down light attack, you get a special combo attack.

As A2, holding down light attack performs a taunt.

Everything else is identical.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Now I am worried about Pascal's mental state in the aftermath. :ohdear:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Picayune posted:

Now I am worried about Pascal's mental state in the aftermath. :ohdear:

I'm sure he'll be fine. I mean, 9S has been murdering machines all day, and we haven't heard anything bad about him lately!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did you know Yoko Taro also does let's plays? Someone translated an old one he wrote for Animal Crossing: https://twitter.com/i/moments/933274924914917376

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

StandardVC10 posted:

Slightly different moveset. Her individual attacks are slightly weaker than 2B's but they're moderately faster so she ends up having slightly higher dps.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sure he'll be fine. I mean, 9S has been murdering machines all day, and we haven't heard anything bad about him lately!

Murdering machines is an official form of therapy, at least according to the YOrHa field manual.
(It's also the only form of therapy covered by their insurance plan)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The machines successfully cowed Pascal's aggression. Unfortunately he's like Gandhi in Civ and had an integer rollover.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sindai posted:

Did you know Yoko Taro also does let's plays? Someone translated an old one he wrote for Animal Crossing: https://twitter.com/i/moments/933274924914917376

This is great

It’s like the terrible secret of animal crossing, but “adult”

Jen X fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 23, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Sindai posted:

Hmm, further evidence that he and TDI are the same person.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Qrr posted:

Hmm, further evidence that he and TDI are the same person.

Don't start that AGAIN. Taro Yoko wears an Emil mask, Dark Id DOESN'T wear an Emil mask.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

GeneX posted:

This is great

It’s like the terrible secret of animal crossing, but “adult”

"But I cannot say no to Isabelle’s frozen gaze. This woman… she’s killed before, and not just once…"

Seems pretty legit to me.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't start that AGAIN. Taro Yoko wears an Emil mask, Dark Id DOESN'T wear an Emil mask.

What if Taro is the mask and Id is the sock puppet

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I do like how Pascal is dead set on his pacifism for most of the game.
However after seeing his village destroyed and the childeren he cares so much about threatened by mindless machines he (I assume) temporarily sidelines his principles. Seems very pragmatic of him.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Darth TNT posted:

I do like how Pascal is dead set on his pacifism for most of the game.
However after seeing his village destroyed and the childeren he cares so much about threatened by mindless machines he (I assume) temporarily sidelines his principles. Seems very pragmatic of him.

Interesting to me is that the village itself has apparently been threatened/hosed up multiple times (end of A/B, the machine we put down for him that may or may not have infected everyone else, and possibly more earlier given the “usually it’s fine but we can’t restore them this time” comment), but it’s only this time that he goes personally hog wild about it. For some reason I have this visual of Pascal crawling out of some wreckage to find a destroyed village, sighing, gathering up machine cores and saying “oh well, maybe the next location won’t have war-minded androids/machines” multiple times before now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Is Pascal abandoning his pacifism the first time we've seen a machine move on from their personal ideology when confronted with the idea that it doesn't work, instead of just trying again without learning anything?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Either that or violence is an inevitable step on the road of “pacifism for the sake of itself in a yoko taro game” and this just happens to be the first time we see it firsthand

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I certainly know I paused the scene several times to screencap the cinematic fight between giant constructicons for the right of all living machine children

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is Pascal abandoning his pacifism the first time we've seen a machine move on from their personal ideology when confronted with the idea that it doesn't work, instead of just trying again without learning anything?

I mean, Adam seemed pretty over that whole dying thing about mid-way through, he just didn't have much time to revise his stance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's my boy!
That's my boy Pascal!!!

DEAD MACHINES DON'T START FIGHTS

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's my boy!
That's my boy Pascal!!!

DEAD MACHINES DON'T START FIGHTS

The true meaning of pacifism.

I've got to ask, though... didn't we nuke these things back at the beginning of the game? Black boxes, big explosion? That didn't do much actual damage, I guess.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sum Gai posted:

The true meaning of pacifism.

I've got to ask, though... didn't we nuke these things back at the beginning of the game? Black boxes, big explosion? That didn't do much actual damage, I guess.

If they were all dead, then how come those other ones showed up right after meeting Pascal the first time?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXX: I Taught Them Everything...

Yeah. Thanks for the assist.
I fear for the children. Let us hurry to them!

We’re still playing as Pascal. Our only option here is to run back into the Abandoned Factory to check on the kids. There is no bad ending or even an option for running away elsewhere. Pascal is a good boy and not a shifty jerk that will shirk their responsibilities at the drop of a hat like the androids.

Hey kids! Uncle Pascal kicked some real as—

Aww... CHRIST!

<sobbing>

They... killed themselves.
How... how could this happen...?
Why... Why would they do such a thing?
I taught them everything... All my thoughts and emotions. I thought it would serve them well in the future. But instead...
How would teaching them lead to something like this?
Fear...
I don’t understand.
I taught the children what fear is. I felt they had to know so they wouldn’t rush heedlessly into danger. But... instead...
Fear destroyed them. It caused them to take their own lives.
If I knew this could happen, I never would have... <slowly stands up>

I... I cannot live with this heartbreak inside me. I need you... I need you to delete my memories. And if not, then I need you to kill me.

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/776236871454253056

Guess I called that one...

Welp. This is happening now. Hey, I lied about the chapter title... It’s actually “Pascal’s Despair.” So here we are... We now need to grant Pascal’s Final Request.

Thank... you...

We can just outright kill Pascal. The game graciously gives us Pascal’s Core we can sell for a load of cash like a ghoul... Go you. That’s the less decent option. We’re not doing that one...

There’s actually a third, loving monstrous option... A2 can just be a complete shithog and just leave Pascal...

I felt bad replaying the game just to record doing this. If you actually went with this option, you suck rear end. Go walk into traffic and get hit by a bus you lovely person you. If you’re wondering, Pascal just commits suicide afterwards. Go you...

We are you going to follow Pascal’s first request and delete his memories. Pod 042 will help us with this...

Understood. Initiating memory deletion procedure.

We find ourselves back in hacking space. There are six cores present here. There’s no defense barriers. We need to destroy all of these cores. When we do, each plays an audio log of Pascal’s dying memories...

Well, anyway. My name is Pascal. I’m the leader of this village.

Uncle Pascal! Uncle Pascal! Play with us!
Yeah! C’mon and play!

I’m scared! Scared! This is so terrifyingly scary!

You promised to memorize that botanical field guide, remember?
But you’ll play with us when we’re done, right?
Yeah, come play with us!

Uncle Pascal, help me... I wanna go back to the village!

Of course I will... you have my word! And Uncle Pascal would never lie and break his word...

Thank you...

Pascal...

:smith:

Video: Episode 120 Highlight Reel
(Go watch this.)

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

:yokotaro:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"Okay Kamiya, you can have the giant robot fight, but I want something utterly gut-wrenching afterwards."
"Deal"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But all joking aside, that hit like a massive, loving truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The mind killer. :smith:

• Locked thread