Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would say that the screaming and murdering 2B after the Machine Code swaps can be easily explained as 9S killing something using her face to torment him and him going crazier.

Hey, he stabbed her by his own volition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
Like I said before, the discrepancy is that 9S's "memories" aren't his. There's definitely material that 9S couldn't have memorized himself; i.e, the scene at the Abandoned Factory Engels.

There are four different interpretations:

-The devs hosed up. This is the easiest interpretation; Yoko Taro doesn't design things as perfectly tight, and including the Abandoned Factory scene is an oversight.

-9S recovered his memories from a secondary back-up. This is possible in another way, but I think the circumstances of the events make it improbable.

-Those are 2B's memories. This is the interpretation I prefer, since while 9S could not have remembered the incident, 2B would have done so. 9S is insisting that these are his memories, but at the same time, he's concluding that the Tower system is designed to bomb the moon, an unsound leap of logic. Recall that the tower system is intended to absorb android data as well, as the machines have full access to YoRHa's back-ups, as well as whatever information they managed to absorb from using the logic virus on YoRHa androids. Moreover, 9S identifies the object in front of him as 2B's data--i.e, why put 9S's memories and have them surround 2B, when the natural accompaniment would be 2B's memories instead?

-These are the records of machine surveillance. If 9S's memories aren't his, they don't need to be 2B's either. Note that all the memories are from the third-person perspective, which is not how either android would have remembered them.

I think the key point of this is, the machines have the ability to rip YoRHa data and plant it in their network as needed. The data we see in front of 9S is, in the ontology of the game, 2B. Even when the data reverts from the black-cube form to 2B, 9S continues stabbing at her in abject rage, instead of acting horrified and stopping.

Anyways, I think I've solved my problem regarding this scene. Let's keep going.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

jyrque posted:

Hey, he stabbed her by his own volition.

I'll repeat something I said earlier: textually, androids are sadomasochists. Jackass says so outright. Factor this into 9S's disintegrating sanity and the things Adam told him earlier.

9S is a decent kid, but there is some DARK poo poo in his brain, and he's just suffered incredible mental trauma.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

...! posted:

I like how 9S has no reaction to learning that he is part machine. Even his AI routines are machine in nature.
He does, though: Immediately deny it and ignore it. That's still a reaction.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hey it this document. I didn't recall you got it this early, probably because we get an extended version later apparently and I'm confusing the two.

Man, a DrakeNier researcher deciding something would be too inhumane to implement? I have to call bullshit.
Although to be fair, the alternate solution they found was to torture some (well, a lot of) prisoners of war, so it probably still checks out.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Omobono posted:

Man, a DrakeNier researcher deciding something would be too inhumane to implement? I have to call bullshit.
Although to be fair, the alternate solution they found was to torture some (well, a lot of) prisoners of war, so it probably still checks out.

To be fair, the "inhumanity" of using machine cores was because they considered everything about YoRHa to be completely expendable.

So hey, it's really inhumane science by a different name.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ultrafilter posted:

Given that the whole point of this resource unit is to mess with 9S, do we really trust the bit about Yorha black boxes being repurposed machine cores? That could just be a lie from the network to get at 9S.

The point of the resource recovery units is to recover resources and compress data something something tower payload. loving with 9S is just a side benefit.

Or did you think the machines built all this poo poo in the time between the Bunker exploding (without 9S on it) and 2B getting shanked?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Side note: I think one of the reasons that I never got tired of hacking is that the sound effect when you transition from the 'real' world to cyberspace is incredible. Always put me in the mood for some Hackerman time.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

ZiegeDame posted:

The point of the resource recovery units is to recover resources and compress data something something tower payload. loving with 9S is just a side benefit.

Or did you think the machines built all this poo poo in the time between the Bunker exploding (without 9S on it) and 2B getting shanked?

I mean, maybe?

Adam was able to whip up the Copied City pretty quickly all things considered...

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
9S broke. I repeat, Hackerboy has turned wacko.

Weirdly enough, I like 9S better when he goes crazy, feels more like DrakeNieR when you control some murder-crazy guy/gal. Emotions are [not] prohibited.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Snark posted:

To be fair, the "inhumanity" of using machine cores was because they considered everything about YoRHa to be completely expendable.

So hey, it's really inhumane science by a different name.

They decided that using common AI for YoRHa was too inhumane and they actually searched for and found an alternative solution instead of simply shrugging. That is what I never imagined a DrakeNier researcher doing.
The alternative solution is as horrible as the original proposal but baby steps, baby steps.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm continually straight up amazed at how good the voice acting in this game is.

Poor Nines.

The least we can do is call him by his dumb nickname. :smith:

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Leraika posted:

The least we can do is call him by his dumb nickname. :smith:
If you want to die in the next cutscene, you go right ahead and do that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Dr. Snark posted:

I mean, maybe?

Adam was able to whip up the Copied City pretty quickly all things considered...

Adam said he'd been working on the Copied City for a long time, and that sheer number of android corpses doesn't just appear overnight.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Random Hajile posted:

If you want to die in the next cutscene, you go right ahead and do that.

Is this a spoiler?

This better not be a spoiler.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Come And See posted:

Is this a spoiler?

This better not be a spoiler.

It's a reference to what happened after 2B finally called him Nines.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, relax. Not every joke is a spoiler.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Charles_Kinbote posted:

I think the key point of this is, the machines have the ability to rip YoRHa data and plant it in their network as needed. The data we see in front of 9S is, in the ontology of the game, 2B. Even when the data reverts from the black-cube form to 2B, 9S continues stabbing at her in abject rage, instead of acting horrified and stopping.

Anyways, I think I've solved my problem regarding this scene. Let's keep going.

Remember way back in Route B when 9S was commenting on how easy the YorHa server was to hack, almost as though there was a deliberate vulnerability?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat.

Okay so knowing now that machines and YoRHa are virtually the same (and there was Adam and Eve before that who might as well have been androids). And knowing that the machine network has just been toying with them all along and could have wiped them out at any time, but didn't...AND is now collecting resources for launching something big, I have a theory that I actually don't want to speculate too much more about, just in case I'm right.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Zoe posted:

drat.

Okay so knowing now that machines and YoRHa are virtually the same (and there was Adam and Eve before that who might as well have been androids). And knowing that the machine network has just been toying with them all along and could have wiped them out at any time, but didn't...AND is now collecting resources for launching something big, I have a theory that I actually don't want to speculate too much more about, just in case I'm right.

You're perfectly free to speculate I think, it's a problem when people who know what's going to happen start to wink wink nudge nudge at whatever you write that's the issue. Or people who just straight up spoil things for people and then whine when they don't want to admit they spoiled things.

As someone who has beaten the game, I always like seeing speculation from people who haven't beaten it, or have only followed TDI's threads. It's up to TDI and the mods as to what is acceptable though.

Edit: I just re-read the OP, and saw this.

quote:

:siren: :frogsiren: NO SPOILERS! NOT IN TAGS! NOT ANYWHERE! THIS INCLUDES SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS AND VIDEOS AND WHATNOT! :siren: :frogsiren:

Speculate all you want but don't be a wink-nudge dick that knows what is going down. Nobody likes that kind of jerk and I'll call you out on that.

With that said, let’s begin...

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
Yeah...the non specific problem with the document Id mentioned...I was awfully confused later in the game because of it. But let's not speak any further than it being confusing.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode CXXV: Die Alone

Welp... That all happened. I’m going to go out on a limb and say 9S’s mental state isn’t doing so hot of late. I feel like that earlier blurb with the Tower’s function had an omitted blurb about the secondary mission objective of specifically loving with YoRHa Unit 9S for shits and giggles. Let’s see if the Pods have similar concerns with their regular chapter opening check-ins.

Affirmative. His mental state has become dangerously unstable. Action must be taken immediately.
I noticed something while providing support to A2. Enemy machine lifeforms have begun sharing data with each other.
We’d better look into that.
I’ll share the data with you, so see what you can find out.
Affirmative. I also have a separate report about 9S...
What is it?
I’ll share the data. His psychological state has deteriorated to a grave level.
We’d better handle that quickly, too.
Agreed.
Not sure what we should do, however.
Agreed. Proposal: Rest, combined with data checking and maintenance.
Agreed. I will make the suggestion immediately.

<body sparking> Pod, where’s the next resource-recovery unit?
Alert: NFCS failure. Speculation: Failure caused by intense combat and lack of maintenance.
<sparking again> Near-field controls are down? Great...
Proposal: Overhaul system at Resistance camp.
I don’t have that kind of time.
Alert: Entering battle without a functioning sword constitutes unacceptable risk. Unit 9S should have Devola initiate repairs at the Resistance camp.
<butt sparking> poo poo...

Music: Blissful Death

Well, this feels familiar but I cannot quite place why... I mean, other than that previous player character being completely jacked at this exact same spot and having to take a death march half-way across the map.

9S isn’t nearly as on the ropes as 2B was for the similar segment. For the duration he’s unable to use any melee attacks or Pod Programs (2B could still at least use melee when she wasn't limping.) Pod Fire is still active at all times though. 9S’s body will spark and he’ll go into a no jumping/dash limping mode for a few seconds. But the duration isn’t nearly as long as 2B’s similar circumstances.

Also, 9S doesn’t have to travel remotely as far and there’s about one-fifth as many enemies littering the area. Also... he can just hop in an Access Point and teleport over to the Resistance Camp in about a minute. So... that’s an improvement.

Since I’m a dope, I decided to walk the whole way to the Resistance Camp and BOY, you wouldn’t believe what you’d miss if you didn't do this...

It’s honestly amazing what happens if you manually run back to Devola and Popola. It’s amazing how many people probably missed this and lost out on the ultimate Drakenier reward...

Nothing happens and you get an extra five minutes of your life wasted for no reason!

And now you know! Such are the hidden joys found in Yoko Taro’s gameplay loops.

Music: ENDS

Anyway, yo... Devola... Popola... our boy 9S here is all kinds of hosed up. You two wanna come take a look at him.

Also his body is sparking regularly and you two should probably check that out too.

Wounded in battle. NFCS not functioning.
I’m amazed you were even able to drag yourself here. This is gonna take a bit, so just hang tight.

I can’t believe you even managed to walk here.

Despite Devola’s claim this will take a bit, she sorts out 9S in all of about five seconds. He’s good to go now. Without so much as a thanks, 9S immediately tries to wander off and resume his mission. But...

Music: Peaceful Sleep

Don’t die alone.
I don’t think 2B would want that either.
I know.

Ah, don’t worry. I don’t think 9S is going to be dying alone anytime soon. Slipping into madness out in the middle of nowhere, though? Now that might be a bit trickier to avoid in the future. Anyway, now that 9S is back and ready to throw himself headlong into scenarios where a machine lifeform entity is clearly just loving with him constantly, let’s get back to the mission.

Affirmative.

Not even going to try to tell 9S to take a break for a day... maybe do some fishing? What did you just discuss doing Pod...? Sheesh.

Music: Amusement Park (Quiet Vocal)

As we know, the final Resource Unit is found over at the Amusement Park zone. There’s nothing in our way between us and it as the Amusement Park machines are all still lobotomized but passive zombies. So...

To the final temple we go. Surely something good will happen when 9S obtains all three keys and enters the multi-mile tall doom tower/cannon.

<completely over this poo poo contempt> Over and over...

The final Resource Unit has seen it fit to straight up crash through the bridge leading to the castle, allowing easy access for any curious android to waltz right in. Well, no time like the present!

This reads: “god box.”
God, huh... What are these machines doing talking about gods?

Right... 9S technically wasn’t there for the whole “become as gods” business, just a bunch of machines going nuts with 2B trying to book it. Yeah, you missed this whole thing kid. But eh... don’t worry about it. It’d probably just piss you off further at this point.

Up we go to the penultimate dungeon of NieR: Automata... Meanwhile...

Music: ENDS

Why did the machines attack Pascal’s village? Aren’t they all the same?
Unknown.
Well, aren’t you helpful.
Proposal: Unit A2 should gather further data on the current state of machine li—

<crackle echoing for miles>
Huh!?
We’ve got some VERY exciting news for everyone today! There’s only ONE lock left to remove on the Tower sub-units! And in order to repay you for your faithful patronage... whoever dismantles the final sub-unit will earn a SPECIAL PRIZE! Gooooood luck!

Large structural unit of machine lifeform origin activated to the east.
A large what now? What the heck is going on around here?
Unknown.
Well, let’s go check out this “large structural unit.”

Well, A2 is free to go anywhere. But since we’ve done every sidequest available to her in the game... there’s not much point. If you’re wondering, we can take A2 over to the Machine Village ruins to see Pascal. She has the same exact reaction as 9S so there’s nothing worth going out of our way to see.

Well, then... Tune in next time as we undoubtedly improve 9S’s deteriorating mental state by having him reunite with the android that sent him on a warpath by killing the only person he cared about. Pods... you are really bad at this not having 9S go bonkers thing... Geez!

Video: Episode 125 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this.)

Resistance Camp Concept Art – I want to say that was actually the last time we ever have to go to the Resistance Camp for any story or sidequest related reason.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 7, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am still pretty sure I could use rapid fire during the 2B segments (at first)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

The Repo Man posted:

You're perfectly free to speculate I think, it's a problem when people who know what's going to happen start to wink wink nudge nudge at whatever you write that's the issue. Or people who just straight up spoil things for people and then whine when they don't want to admit they spoiled things.

As someone who has beaten the game, I always like seeing speculation from people who haven't beaten it, or have only followed TDI's threads. It's up to TDI and the mods as to what is acceptable though.

It occurred to me that if the machine network may be as dedicated to the idea of the keeping the forever war going as the Commander was, in which case, now that the Bunker's gone and YoRHa's all but wiped out, better start cranking out some new opposition fast!

If they're not doing anything with the moon--and they know there's no reason to because they've had full access to YoRHa's files etc--then maybe the plan is to rebuild the Bunker and start the cycle over again. It's a little late in the game and there's already too much that still needs explaining for completely new out of left field plot developments to be coming out of nowhere and that's the most hosed up thing I could imagine them doing while still sticking to the established themes.

Or after this update I guess it's just as easily a possibility that Yoko is trolling us all and our last two protagonists are just going to murder each other and we never find out poo poo about poo poo.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
Is TDI going to stuff in the DLC right before the final sequence? Because the part where I'm waiting for the game is end is killing me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm going to need like 20 posts of exegesis when this is over.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

euphronius posted:

I'm going to need like 20 posts of exegesis when this is over.

Don't worry, judging by how great this thread is with spoilers and arguments, you'll get it in about 3 pages, well before the game is close to over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

I’ll share the data. His psychological state has deteriorated to a grave level.
We’d better handle that quickly, too.
Agreed.
Not sure what we should do, however.
We're too dumb to figure it out.

And I'm sure 9S is going to take as many people as he can with him when he dies. Thanks Dev/Pop!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, at least someone was aware that mental state is important. Too bad they didn't really know how to help with improving it, but at least they acknowledged the fact that it was a problem.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Are the pods getting more conversational or is it just me? Using contractions and stuff.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
So yeah, 9S is no longer loving this poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

World War Mammories posted:

Are the pods getting more conversational or is it just me? Using contractions and stuff.
Pod 042 to Pod 153: gently caress.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

No, I noticed it too. And considering there's already been an "endless cycle" motif going, I'm interested in seeing how much of your theory pans out, Zoe.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stephen9001 posted:

Well, at least someone was aware that mental state is important. Too bad they didn't really know how to help with improving it, but at least they acknowledged the fact that it was a problem.

They tried! 153 sabotaged 9S's NFCS so he'd have to go to the twins, hoping for a full data overhaul. Unfortunately they didn't do their job.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Unfortunately they didn't do their job.
Good to see that at least some things doesn't change in the Nier universe.

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
Maybe the Pods are just getting tired of everyone's poo poo.

"9S is going bonkers
- A2 doesn't give fucks about anything.
- Let's just let them do whatever they want and be done with this crap"

Sounds like something that could happen. And if Jackass were to know about it, she'd even add "hell yeah, you do that. FOR SCIENCE".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At some point I'm expecting that the pods end up being the last remaining humans, with human brains in robot bodies

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
"No, 9S. You are the pod."
And then 9S was a pod.

HR12345 posted:

So yeah, 9S is no longer loving this poo poo.
It's the inverse in the Drakenier universe. The lower your SAN score is, the more inversely proportional you are into being incorporated into this poo poo.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
When I played this segment, I messaged a friend. I hadn't played the original NieR, so I was trying to piece together what had happened from the Project Gestalt reports. My question was:

"Did the protagonist of NieR die alone?"

My question was just met with laughter. Endless laughter.

Having since read The Dark Id's LP of NieR, I kind of get why.

...anyway, the Pods are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gullwhacker posted:

When I played this segment, I messaged a friend. I hadn't played the original NieR, so I was trying to piece together what had happened from the Project Gestalt reports. My question was:

"Did the protagonist of NieR die alone?"

My question was just met with laughter. Endless laughter.

A Good Friend :yokotaro:

• Locked thread