Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

People have argued with me on this but I honestly don't think it is standalone. You could play it that way, sure, but several plot points will sail over your head without you even knowing and a lot of events won't have their maximum impact. You'll understand most of it but it's a somewhat inferior experience.

I think that is a sign of a good sequel. One which benefits from knowing about what happened in previous games, whilst not seriously detracting from the experience if you come to it new to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

...! posted:

People have argued with me on this but I honestly don't think it is standalone. You could play it that way, sure, but several plot points will sail over your head without you even knowing and a lot of events won't have their maximum impact. You'll understand most of it but it's a somewhat inferior experience.

Yeah but it's not like seeing The Two Towers without the rest of Lord of The Rings.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can play Automata without playing NieR but almost all of the most impactful moments are tied to you having knowledge of NieR. Such as the Emil's Memories subquest. I don't think it would fall flat without knowing Emil and Kainé from NieR but it wouldn't land either.

Those moments are so good that I honestly wouldn't advocate playing Automata without having experienced NieR via TDI's LP of it at the minimum because it's such a complete, great LP or ideally, by playing yourself. "Summary" videos of it are trash and should be avoided.

The best thing about playing NieR before you play Automata would be the fact that NieR is extremely good and well worth playing in its own right because it's maybe a better game than Automata anyway. At the very least, it does some important things better than Automata does them. (Play both, they're both in the very top class of what gaming has to offer, it's not an either/or situation.)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 11, 2017

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.

Zoe posted:

Your job would be to seal off doomed worlds one after another as the Watchers influence creeps slowly and inexorably across the universe, knowing that the absolute best you can hope to do is somewhat delay it in reaching yours.

In then in the end everything falls apart and all is lost and it's explicitly your fault, because Yoko Taro.

So Kingdom Hearts a la Yoko Taro? Sounds fun, actually.

I second a game with Accord as its protagnoist (though we all know it couldn't end well for her u_u).

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

This sounds extremely cool. You would go through multiple timelines of the same story and have a strong narrative that's slightly iterated on with each fresh visit by the subtle differences in choice that cause timelines to diverge, and each iteration would unravel in a different tragic way because of the Watchers. You'd watch the same people suffer over and over in new heartwrenching ways.

:yokotaro:

At which point the inevitable conclusion to reach is that the only merciful thing to do is to kill everyone. Omnicide.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

So, androids are just machines. Well, the futile struggle to save humanity makes sense. Machines are always doing futile things.

No, that's just YoRHa. Remember, Popola and Devola were around well before the alien invasion.
I assume the Accord series is non-YoRHa too, not that we would be able to tell the difference.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Omobono posted:

No, that's just YoRHa. Remember, Popola and Devola were around well before the alien invasion.
I assume the Accord series is non-YoRHa too, not that we would be able to tell the difference.

They sort of have to be, Accord's dimension-hopping and "make a call to the devs of reality" abilities are sort of way beyond anything we've seen in Automata so far. If anything it feels like she's from even further down the timeline.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So what was mom doing before 9S showed up? Was she just hanging out with the machines?

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

So what was mom doing before 9S showed up? Was she just hanging out with the machines?

She was busy being crazy, which was a full time job.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I played this game with next to no NieR context. I knew the original game existed, but that was about it.

The big callback moments, at least the most explicitly telegraphed ones, had weight for me. I didn't recognize Kainé's house, I didn't know the name 'Emil' - but I could see that there was someone who cared so much for a friend that he kept her house intact for thousands of years. It was a feeling of...respect, I guess, for a story that wasn't mine.

There were other moments, too - cases where I could go 'I feel like this is an echo whose origin I didn't hear' - but the game itself is about the struggles of 2B, 9S, and A2. It holds up just fine on its own.

It has a few parts that punch you in the heart if you know the NieR context, sure, but not having played NieR doesn't mean it can't traumatize you all the same.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Darth TNT posted:

I've always been under the impression that yeah, the machine network found her, knew everything about her relationship to 9S thanks to hacking YoRHa's records, and stashed her away for maximum 9S traumatization later on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Maybe she was being a mom to all the brother robots with their little oil buckets.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

iospace posted:

The fact that Nier 2 is pretty much standalone without any Nier 1 knowledge helps a lot.

Also the fact that 2B's (and 9S's, in some cases) butts are prominently featured probably helped.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can play Automata without playing NieR but almost all of the most impactful moments are tied to you having knowledge of NieR. Such as the Emil's Memories subquest. I don't think it would fall flat without knowing Emil and Kainé from NieR but it wouldn't land either.

I know that part certainly isn't true.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lone Badger posted:

At which point the inevitable conclusion to reach is that the only merciful thing to do is to kill everyone. Omnicide.

what do you think sealing the timeline does :unsmigghh:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
E: I posted in the wrong nier thread

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2017

alexminor
Feb 22, 2011

DanielCross posted:

Up to this point at least, there hasn't been a timeline split. Apart from her weapon selling business, being a Time Lord is Accord's main gig, so until we see things start branching (if they do, anyhow), Accord won't have much reason to be hanging around this time period.

It's also another planet and dimension. Remember accord was all about drakhenearth and this is nierearth.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

NOTE: Hey... before we go further let's stop for a second. While NieR: Automata is mostly a stand alone sequel, this final chapter is VERY MUCH something that loses a lot of impact in places if you've not played the first game. Or at least maybe read an LP done by someone you might be familiar with... Just saying! Final warning to correct your course in life before we begin...

Episode CXXVIII: Atonement

Music: Amusement Park (Quiet)

Memory check complete. Maintenance mode complete. YoRHa unit 9S... Activate.

Good morning, 9S.
<struggles to his feet> Am I...?
Analysis: The enemy structural unit collapsed during battle. Unit 9S suffered damage from the fall and was placed in emergency suspend mode. Fall location was deemed too dangerous, thus said unit was transported to current location. All system checks and reactivation complete.
Operator...
Operator model 21O is deceased. Black box signal not found.
...Oh.
Situation report.
Tower access authentication key acquired.

Apparently some point while falling down a hole for the eighth time, 9S managed to grab the final keycard in free fall... somehow. Don’t worry about it. The floor with core on the other side of that wall collapsed too and fell next to him. Good an explanation as any!

The Tower is now open for investigation.
Good.

Welp. Final objective of the game coming right up and with it the Point of No Return for 9S before hitting Ending C. Any outstanding sidequests will be canceled as soon as he sets foot into The Tower proper. Not that it will be a problem for us. Nor will it remain a permanent problem either way.

It’s worth noting that Pod 153 wasn’t just talking about that floor collapsing and owning 9S. The God Box Resource Unit did indeed collapse into rubble sometime shortly after A2 wasted Big Brother Auguste and Little Brothers Friedrich. Probably because there’s absolutely no reason to return to that particular Resource Unit now that we’re done. The other two at least had some missable items and documents and they’re both perfectly fine. Definitely didn’t waste ten minutes checking them both out to see if they’d been destroyed too. No sirrah...

Music: Rays of Light

In any case, there’s no reason to delay. Let’s finally use these three magic tokens access cards so 9S can sate his curiosity about The Tower and undoubtedly let his suicidal murder boner go wild on whatever is within. Like a healthy adult, ya know?

Unfortunately, The Tower is still not letting 9S hack its front door and waltz in. There’s proper protocol that needs to be followed, duder. C’mon... You haven’t been unemployed from the disbanded YoRHa for that long.

We apologize for the inconvenience... but locks on each sub-unit must be deactivated before accessing the main Tower. Have a GREAT day!

So to get in, 9S needs to use those keycards he’s been gathering on each of the three weird spiral constructs surrounding the Tower entrance. Makes sense...

Once the defense barrier has been deactivated, it’s just a matter of hacking the device for good measure...

Music: City Ruins (Chiptune)

The first sub-system is a simple hack involving a bunch of destroyable black squares, a handful of cores than need to be destroyed and a somewhat tight time limit. Hackerman is on the case, no problem.

On to the next sub-system. The first one wasn’t even connected to anything... above ground at least. This one looks like they ran out of material to connect it to the upper reaches of the Tower.

Well, whatever. If it beeps... we can hack it.

The second sub-unit’s hack is a mess of black breakable blocks with some damaging reds and unbreakable whites thrown in for flavor. It’s like you all are not even trying. C’mon.

The final sub-unit is the only one they bothered to actually connect to the tower. Given the way things have been going, I wouldn’t be surprised if all three of these things actually didn’t do anything and there’s just a camera pointed at 9S with the machine network watching him and giggling while throwing off the appropriate light switches to make him think he’s doing something important.

As long as the door still opens after hacking all three of ‘em...

The third and final sub-unit hack is the only one that has defense units. The time limit for this one is rather tight. It also turns out destroying all the defenders like usual is a waste of time since the core didn’t have a defense barrier like usual. Hmph.

Music: Rays of Light

That means a special prize is waiting for you inside the Tower! We look forward to serving you!

I’m not a fan of the phrasing “looking forward to serving you.” If there’s some sort of freestyle break-dancing competition against the machine network waiting within the Tower, 9S is just completely boned. You just know Nines dances like the most uncoordinated, whitest boy imaginable.

Speculation on 9S being a busta aside, this hack for the Tower door is taking a good long while to activate... Like, after ten seconds of concentrated hacking button holding the meter is only filled less than a quarter of the way. For reference, common enemies take .05 to 1 second to hack. Goliaths and bosses take 1-2.5 seconds tops. Also...

Alert: Enemy caution level rising. Cause is most likely concern over unit 9S gaining access to Tower.

Outta my way!

Unfortunately, we’re only a quarter of the way into even initiating a hack when enemies begin pouring into the area and we’re forced to break off to defend ourselves. They’re all only Level 45-55 jobbers. The problem is... it only takes one hit to break 9S’s hacking focus and he needs nearly a minute to successfully initiate a hack on the Tower. And more airdropped reinforcements are immediately replacing any machines 9S kills.

drat it, they won’t stop coming!
Alert: Allied signal detected.
Allies!?

Music: ENDS

:siren: Click here to watch the rest of the update contents. :siren:
(You should probably just do this.)

Wait, you?
<draw their sword>

9S.

We’ve been expecting you.

Welp... If you’re going to pull a heel turn on us, please don’t give our Pod a stroke. That was really mean when your predecessors did that to our magic book sidekick...

Devola and Popola ready their swords and dash towards 9S, who can only manage to gasp and brace for getting owned again.

Nah. Just kidding. Why would you think this Devola and Popola would pull a heel turn at the final dungeon just because the last two did? That’s very judgemental of you. Just because they look the same as those two gently caress-ups doesn’t mean anything. These two have been nothing but cool with us and thrown zero shady prophecies or ominous warnings 9S’s way.

Music: Song of the Ancients ~ Atonement (Vocal)
(This is the only time the vocal version of this ever plays. Go listen to it!)

Devola? Popola? What are you doing here!?
Remember your promise?
What are you talking about?
Come on, 9S! Hack in while you can!
None of this makes any sense!
We’ll explain everything once we’re inside!
Ugh!
We’ve got this, 9S! You just focus on hacking!

So Popola and Devola are goddamn beasts and have this situation with the infinitely spawning machine lifeforms well handled. As far as friendlies in battle go they have AI similar to 2B’s in Route B if she were set to “wreck everything you see’s poo poo immediately” mode. They will rush down and obliterate anything getting remotely close to 9S or the Tower gate. So that’s cool.

That said, while the twins aren’t given a health bar, that doesn’t mean they are invincible. There’s infinitely spawning enemies. They are going to take some hits by sheer virtue of things are dropping behind them and immediately attacking before they can react. 9S is free to help out but it’s not a great idea...

Like five minutes of Devola and Popola fighting enemies later...

9S! You must hack into the Tower! We... we can’t hold out like this!

Another good four minutes of them fighting after that...

9S! I can’t do this anymore! Aaaaugh!

Hack the goddamn Tower, 9S! :argh:

Let’s try that again...

Actually, you know what, though? I’ve just noticed our inventory is full for spare plug-in chips. I’ve been meaning to offload a ton of useless low level ones but you know how it is with LP footage recording. Hey, you all held out for like ten minute last time. You’ll be OK if 9S just pops over to the Resistance Camp real quick, right?

If we don’t do something, they’re gonna...

Ah... They’re REALLY strong for NPC androids. It’ll be fine. Quit your worrying. It’ll only take three... maybe four minutes, tops!

Proposal: Hack into the main Tower unit.
Where are you going, 9S? We need you!
Augh... 9S, come back! We can’t hold out by ourselves!
Alert: Enemy forces gathering around Devola and Popola. Situation critical. Proposal: Provide rescue support immediately.

drat... Looks like this is it.
No...

There’s no meaning behind anything 9S does.

OK. That’s it for screwing around. There’s only one more being a huge dick/gently caress-up ending left in the game. Not counting the main endings. Let’s actually do this for real this time, eh?

Devola and Popola have this handled. 9S just needs to hack the Tower... For a while...

...a very long...

...while...

All this hacking and not once did 9S turn to someone and declare “I’m in...” Shameful.

New Music: Song of the Ancients - Chiptune
(Also the only time you hear the chiptune version of it for more than two seconds.)

Despite all the build-up, there isn’t a whole lot to this hack. There’s a moderate amount of defenders initially and several unprotected cores along the way. There’s no time limit for this one either.

That is, until we reach the final core at the northern most point of hacking space. Here, 9S runs into some issues...

Analysis: It is part of a closed defensive system.
Well, how do I break it down!?

Hypothesis: Unit 9S could permit his self-consciousness data to lose control. The resulting energy surge has an acceptable probability of temporarily paralyzing the barrier.
That’s almost as bad as not going in at all!

Music: Song of the Ancients ~ Atonement (Vocal)

Gaaaaah!

9S doesn’t have time to worry about the details as the Tower zaps him out of his hack and sends him flying several yards. 9S man... you had one job.

What happened!?
It’s the barrier...

Shut up, nerd. If you’re not going to do the job right, Popola is gonna just go for it.

Aaaaaauuuuugggghhhh!!!
No, don’t!

Devola notices a machine about to put an axe into 9S’s head and saves his rear end while Hackerman busies himself with dweeb terminology as to why Popola should stop being a big drat hero.

You can’t do anything—the wall’s got a self-closing algori—!
Enough! Devola and I—we have to atone for our sins no matter what!

Agh!
But if you do that, your circuits will—

Shut up, 9S! She already opened the drat door!

...Right!

Just gotta stab this machine in the dick real quick and rush over to 9S’s side. I bet they have robot dicks under that metal plating. I mean, they’ve got mouths with teeth under those dome heads. It stands to reason...

NOOOOOW!

Devola picks up 9S and just chucks his rear end into the Tower.

Devola!

Aaaaaaahhh!!

Video: Episode 128 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this.)

Devola and Popola Render – Devola is the better sister because she drinks like a champ and also isn’t constantly bumping into poo poo because she’s got her bangs half-covering her eyes.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 13, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
some dick rebel somewhere is still gonna say those two were no good

:(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Popola took that like a loving boss.

Also holy poo poo was this entire section awesome. I loved they waited until the final chapter to finally bring back vocalized Song of the Ancients.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mega64 posted:

Also holy poo poo was this entire section awesome. I loved they waited until the final chapter to finally bring back vocalized Song of the Ancients.

They knew exactly which songs from the original Nier stuck with people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DeafNote posted:

some dick rebel somewhere is still gonna say those two were no good

Well it depends on whether or not helping 9S this will gently caress up everything even more than it already is.

Since this is a YT game the odds of that are about 100%

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

NOTE: Hey... before we go further let's stop for a second. While NieR: Automata is mostly a stand alone sequel, this final chapter is VERY MUCH something that loses a lot of impact in places if you've not played the first game. Or at least maybe read an LP done by someone you might be familiar with... Just saying! Final warning to correct your course in life before we begin...

Is Emil going to turn out to be behind everything?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kavak posted:

Everybody's gonna be okay and there'll be a party at the top of the tower with a wet bar and cake!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My thought process during this section:

Oh gently caress not this poo poo from you two again?
Wait this has to be a fakeout for Nier veterans
Please be a fakeout
OH gently caress IT'S NOT
[fontsize=1 trillion]gently caress YOU AND YOUR FAKEOUTS YOKO TARO[/fontsize]
Is that the vocal track?

They're going to... :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How to make two badass combat androids.

Take two regular androids, add 8000 years of suffering

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I got spoiled on this part and it still hurt. Kudos YT

:smith:

Mega64 posted:

The chiptunes version also deserves some serious praise. Its amazing how well all the songs work despite being converted to 8-bit tunes.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Kavak posted:

Odds are he is. Let's get strapped in :beerpal:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Materant posted:

They knew exactly which songs from the original Nier stuck with people.

drat right. When I played through this section I was like, "wait, do I hear vocals" then "HOLY poo poo YES I DO :iia:"

It was the perfect time to use that track.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is such an awesome section.
Yes, I waited an extra minute before hacking the tower just to let the Song of Ancients play out a bit more, what of it?

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 11, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

I've speculated before that Machines are Emil-clones who've forgotten who they are. Hence why they look like him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Y'all should listen to the variant of Song of the Ancients that plays here, even if Id didn't see fit to add sirens.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

D&P's swords are loving great. Do we get access to them at any point?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Augus posted:

This is such an awesome section.
Yes, I waited an extra minute before hacking the tower just to let the Song of Ancients play out a bit more, what of it?

As long as you didn't spend like ten minutes listening and killed them like a monster :argh:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Power Bottom posted:

D&P's swords are loving great. Do we get access to them at any point?

already should have gotten them from their shop

quote:

the only weapon they bother to give them is an outdated model

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2017

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

DeafNote posted:

the only weapon they bother to give them is an outdated model

I dunno, that's actually pretty good given that YoRHa is, like, less than 20 years old. It's not the most cutting edge cutting edge that exists, but it's pretty good for a pair of 6000 year old obsolete non-combat models that don't even work for YoRHa and nobody likes or trusts.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

There's also a lot of dead YoRHa models around recently. It seems like it might be easy enough for them to scavenge a sword or two off of them.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
This whole sequence is incredibly done. It's set up perfectly to immediately make you suspect them and then proceeds to turn around and make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for doing what all the other androids did by judging them because of the original duo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Was the cut to static part of the game or an Id addition for a break point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Bruceski posted:

Was the cut to static part of the game or an Id addition for a break point?

It's part of the game.

• Locked thread