Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I honestly like the guilt programming; it's that distinct touch that crosses this over from "really depressing, but something that could be in any other game" to Yoko Taro's special brand of miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And now for something completely different:
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/940310218533093377

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Charles_Kinbote posted:

The androids probably have Omelas built on top of Salem, Oregon somewhere.

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

@SupremeZero: But Yoko Taro is right. Nier: Automata does suck; as a gaming experience, it's incomplete and often shoddy, and it doesn't deserve the GOTY. It's a great improvement from the days of Drakengard, where it was 100% Yoko Taro's pedophile incest adventures, N:A is much more playable, while retaining much of his unique sensibility, but it's not a masterwork. What's charming about YT (holy poo poo, it's a Neal Stephenson reference) is that he's not afraid to admit it, while not making trite pronouncements about how his next game will be better or thanking his fans.

Charles_Kinbote posted:

That's the thing, though. The Devola and Popola models, besides the Project Gestalt operators, did nothing wrong. The joke is that the other DP models were basically scapegoats (making the Omelas reference more relevant) who ended up suffering because android society needed someone to blame for the death of humanity.

So when you're looking at the Devola and Popola blowing themselves up in N:A, you're looking at completely innocent people who've been forced to suffer guilt pangs for something completely unrelated to them--it's almost literally Jews in medieval Europe getting pogromed once in a while because Christ, a Jew, was executed by the Romans at the behest of Jewish elites, when Christ himself wanted to die and it was closer to assisted suicide..

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Go play on the road, but the parallels to the condition of European Jewry are definitely there. "Killed" "God"? Check. Uninvolved persons scapegoated? Check. Doomed to wander as in the European myth of the Wandering Jew? Check. An attempt at genocide? Check. You'd suspect Yoko Taro did his research and drew inspiration from the historical models, but it's fun thinking of Devola and Popola as Jewish a la Scarlett Johansson.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charles_Kinbote, post in this thread again and get probated. I'd say take this nonsense to the Nier: Automata thread in Games, but that seems unfair to Games.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

I'd say take this nonsense to the Nier: Automata thread in Games, but that seems unfair to Games.

You know you're a bad poster when people don't even want you in Games.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Man, its a special kind of hell for people to choose "wipe these nigh-immortal twins' memories of all but the guilt by association" d just... doing anything else, really. Leave them alone, mercy kill them. Anything is better than thousands of years of being treated like poo poo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Man, its a special kind of hell for people to choose "wipe these nigh-immortal twins' memories of all but the guilt by association" d just... doing anything else, really. Leave them alone, mercy kill them. Anything is better than thousands of years of being treated like poo poo.

Worse, being treated like poo poo and feeling that you fully DESERVE it, even though you also know full well that you had nothing to do with the incident that you're being treated like poo poo for.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There's a bit of that good old intentional repetition theme there again, though: If all the models of Devola and Popola are identical and differed only in the town they were assigned to, wouldn't any set of Dev&Pop have done the exact same thing in that situation anyways?

If instead of thinking about it as "you just happen to have the same face so you're a good scapegoat", it's "you're the same people who did the thing but slightly younger and not in a place where you can make your horrible decisions again", the scapegoating makes a bit more sense, at least on a visceral level-- not to godwin the thread (further) but if you came out and said "Hey we cloned Hitler and also made sure he feels guilty as poo poo about what "he" did, feel free to vent on him" there's a lot of people who would do just that without an ounce of guilt.

This all feels like the most :yokotaro: approach to therapy possible :v:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

It seems doubly weird that all the other androids would hate Popodev for "killing off humanity", when none of the other Androids are supposed to know that humanity is gone. If humans are supposed to be doing fine, hanging out on the moon, what is there to be so drat pissed at the twins for?

There was also a period when all the androids knew that the humans were dead. There was a file at some point that mentioned they were all despondent and unwilling to fight because of it. Project YoRHa was created to spread the lie that the humans were actually alive on the moon, so that everyone would cheer up and keep the war going.

So it may be that the androids of that time used the death of humanity as their justification for hating on D&P, and then later on they came to believe that the justification wasn't true... but kept hating them anyway.

Humans, of course, would never do such a thing.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 13, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Just say Dev&Pop were responsible for humanity being extinct on earth. Failed to maintain proper quarantine, got the last known subject immune to WCS killed, thankfully quick thinking androids from [Not Here] moved a viable population to the moon just in time, only recently exhausted their initial resources and risked calling for help, etc.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

I haven't put any furniture or anything in my camp except a kerosene tank. I started this game to get revenge on that raccoon, Tanukichi, but now I have a different purpose.

I'll enjoy playing this game until I burn that dark forest down.

:yokotaro:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Scrutinizing minute details of the setting is pointless with a Taro narrative. Really all that’s relevant is everyone hates D&P without knowing why and they’re programmed to also hate themselves without knowing why. It’s mainly here to demonstrate the androids at large are just as willing to project their societywide anxieties on undeserving individuals and be spiteful assholes as humans, with the added oomph of being able to artificially manipulate someone’s psyche as a punishment.

Androids being programmed to feel things out of the flow of natural continuum of psyche development is one of the most unsettling aspects of the setting to me and it makes me question which weird reactions in the story really stem from the characters’ minds being tampered for ulterior motives.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:discourse:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Never really thought much about what other androids were around at the same time as D&P, but were different models with different functions. Makes sense that someone other than D&P models would've started building new androids, considering the lasting resentment.

I was surprised it wasn't A2 that showed up, but I guess asked 9S to spend a minute patiently hacking instead of trying to kill her would be a bit much at this point. That said, having not just the vocal Song of Ancients, but the secret duet version(which I don't think was on the soundtrack for the first Nier) was well done.

Also, assuming the machines had this whole "screw with 9S" setup, does that mean their plan was to drive him nuts trying to get into the big tower, only to run into the door hacking barrier that he can't breach without going unconscious and getting killed if he's alone? If so, I'm interested in what happens now that he's inside.

Episode CXXVIII

The Dark Id posted:

Like a health adult, ya know?

That’s very judgement of you.

9S just need to hack the Tower... For a while...

the final core at the northern most point of hacking spare.

Just gotta stab this machine in the dick real quick and rushes over to 9S’s side.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

i am tim! posted:

I get the feeling Yoko Taro had a bad case of food poisoning from a mackerel.

It's very hard to program a good mackerel feature in games.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I got a question, didn't the Shades began relapsing because Shadowdad stopped producing his special maso? Like he got all antsy when Project Gestalt would be finished just as the project was on its final stages? Did I remember that right?

As for Devola and Popola, this update puts their interactions with the YoRHa androids in a more depressing light for me. 2B, 9S and A2 don't have any idea who they are and what their deal is, so the twins must've been desperate to be friends with someone who doesn't immediately hate them. To add to that:

- While the Resistance members get to ask 2B and 9S for help with their poo poo right from the start, the twins are probably told to go hang out in the back and wait their turn instead. It's only when the Resistance got attacked and lost a lot of its members that Devola and Popola finally were able to ask for help in their tasks.

- While most Pod programs have to be bought, or a sidequest reward, or you have to go to an out-of-the-way area to get, the twins just hand 2B the Scan program with no fuss. Not to mention all the chips that they probably made themselves are super useful and most likely not found anywhere else. And they sell it for cheaper than they probably should.

It just feels like the twins think the YoRHa units wouldn't hate them if they make themselves useful.

Archus
Jul 16, 2017

Charles_Kinbote posted:

@SupremeZero: But Yoko Taro is right. Nier: Automata does suck; as a gaming experience, it's incomplete and often shoddy, and it doesn't deserve the GOTY. It's a great improvement from the days of Drakengard, where it was 100% Yoko Taro's pedophile incest adventures, N:A is much more playable, while retaining much of his unique sensibility, but it's not a masterwork. What's charming about YT (holy poo poo, it's a Neal Stephenson reference) is that he's not afraid to admit it, while not making trite pronouncements about how his next game will be better or thanking his fans.

Yeah, despite really good story and soundtrack, there is just too much competition this year. Persona 5 feels more fun to play and Zelda is also on same year. OST and Story is just part of the game, not overall. At least Nier got recognition for best OST which is enough I guess

Poor Horizon Zero Dawn, not getting anything lol. I never thought it will get snubbed on everything

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why is it that a super thinly veiled "institutionalised racism is extremely hosed up" messages in any video game always gets weirdos out of the woodwork? I mean, I know the answer but :negative:

Drakengard 1 wasn't 100% Taro in anyway either, he took over the project late and had a limited influence on the title compared to his others since.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I got a question, didn't the Shades began relapsing because Shadowdad stopped producing his special maso? Like he got all antsy when Project Gestalt would be finished just as the project was on its final stages? Did I remember that right?

The massive increase in the Black Scrawl in NieR's second act is due to NieR slaughtering tons of shades. The Shadowlord was still producing his Maso. He got pissed because the Gestalt leadership kept telling him for a thousand years that they would fix Yonah soon so he decided to take matters into his own hands and fix her himself. Then NieR killed him and doomed the entire human race.

Having never played or seen anything about Automata, I've been pondering if the machines have been trying to recapitulate the human soul to insert into the Replicant data on the moon.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Archus posted:

Yeah, despite really good story and soundtrack, there is just too much competition this year. Persona 5 feels more fun to play and Zelda is also on same year. OST and Story is just part of the game, not overall. At least Nier got recognition for best OST which is enough I guess

Haven't gotten around to playing BotW yet, but Automata is more to play than .ersona 5. Yoko Taro games are no longer games that you have to love despite the gameplay. The whole package is there now! I'm just as surprised as anyone else.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXX: You’re Tearing Me Apart

I see.
Query: Why do the androids Devola and Popola seem to prefer death over surviving alone? There was a very high probability that at least one could have escaped.
I...
I hope you never have to understand.
...Affirmative.
Query: Why does this Tower possess an entrance at all? All material transport takes place via aerial vehicles. It is irrational for an infiltration route to be so easily accessible.

<exiting elevator> I don’t care. I just have to kill them all.

New Music: The Tower
(You should listen to this. It’s the final dungeon theme.)

So... welcome to the interior of The Tower.

If you were expecting more futuristic industrial structures that wouldn’t look out of place in a Doom level, you’d be mistaken. Instead, we’re getting the Copied City put into an abstract surrealism blender. It’s very ethereal JRPG final dungeon...

Guarding the Tower’s walkways are a few surviving corrupted YoRHa soldiers. It’s not like everyone who was in YoRHa were with 9S and 2B when they exploded or in the Bunker when it err... also exploded. Regardless, at this point they’re barely a threat since none of them have bothered leveling up since those two earlier incidents.

Before 9S continues his warpath, there’s an easy to miss locked chest just to his right after the first two YoRHa troops attack him. A quick hack later and we get...

The Original is referring to the actual human Papa Nier/The Shadowlord. The Hamelin Organization was basically Umbrella Incorporated tasked with handling the salt monster Legion apocalypse in the original NieR’s backstory. They did this by doing a bunch a dumb poo poo with magic they didn’t really understand like making super-powered child soldiers or sticking people’s souls in magic books, turning people into giant grinning cartoon skeletons or giving petrification vision to kids and whatnot. They likely also made the original androids to oversee the Plan Z of throwing magic poo poo at the wall and hoping for the best that was Project Gestalt.

You never go full Umbrella.

Advancing through the halls of the Tower and slaughtering any YoRHa that gets in his way, 9S’s warpath is eventually interrupted by a final Tower System Services announcement.

We’re so pleased you’ve chosen to visit the Tower today! Don’t forget about the special prize for the guest who unlocks the last sub-unit in the room just ahead. You’re going to LOVE IT!
I’m gonna kill you...

We’ll get to the killing of whoever is making those announcements eventually 9S. For now, sate your bloodlust on the last few YoRHa stragglers and continue through the gate to your prize!

VIDEO: Click to watch remainder of update contents.
(You should probably do this.)

Music: ENDS

So what’s left that could possibly be used to gently caress with 9S at this point? Surely, trotting out his corrupted Operator Mom was the last ace in the whole in the “screwwiththeandroidkid.EXE” subroutine. Well...

You’d be surprised. Hey, 2B! And 2B... Also 2B.

<looks around> 2B models?

<heavy breathing leading to losing his poo poo>

<unsettling middle ground between laughing and crying> I’m glad I got to see you here. I truly am.

<heavy breath> I’ll tear you apart...

Every last one of you!

Music: Grandma (Destruction)

He gazed upon these 2Bs. Three routes it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden under that Emil mask. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved this poo poo.

Let’s party! 9S vs. the YoRHa No.2 Type B Series!

Let the slaughter begin! Pfft... What a debase thing you are thinking **** could only mean “gently caress.” Kill. Stab. Burn. Gank. Those are all four letter words that could fit there too and 9S is way more interested in them at the moment.

The 2B series fights just as poorly as any of the other corrupt YoRHa units we’ve faced so far and they have even less HP than most of ‘em. After all, the machines probably just cracked open the seal on these stashed spare bodies around the time 9S got on that elevator in the last update.

2B... 2B! Don’t worry...
I’m going to kill you now!

And kill her he does. All twenty or so 2B copies flooding into the room for 9S’s special prize are quickly put down with little effort. Well, mostly...

Music: ENDS

Still a few stragglers, huh?

Sure enough, there’s one 2B copy that’s still squirming on the ground. Thanks for pointing that, Pod...

Wouldn’t want any of ‘em getting away.

OK. A job well done. All the 2B’s are now dead like they’re supposed to b—

<gasp>

DRAKENIER!

Video: Episode 130 Highlight Reel

The Tower Concept Art – All that giant spiral bullshit over city ruins is giving me The 3rd Birthday flashbacks and I don’t like it.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 14, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

9S is dead.
CaimS is here now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oh my God, the network are just relentless assholes

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
...And everyone blew up.

THE END

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Josuke Higashikata posted:

9S is dead.
CaimS is here now.

CaimS was always here, waiting.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
...Well, at least embracing his inner Caim makes 9S more likely to survive poo poo like point blank explosions.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Drakennier! I'm loving this poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't believe 9S is loving dead

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Stephen9001 posted:

...Well, at least embracing his inner Caim makes 9S more likely to survive poo poo like point blank explosions.

Caim sucked against ranged attacks.

Explosions kill you with shrapnel, a form of projectile.

Nothing is certain.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nines :smith:

Poor bastard, having an established romantic interest in a Yoko Taro game.

Archus
Jul 16, 2017

KamikazePotato posted:

Haven't gotten around to playing BotW yet, but Automata is more to play than .ersona 5. Yoko Taro games are no longer games that you have to love despite the gameplay. The whole package is there now! I'm just as surprised as anyone else.

I don't say that Nier is just story, Yoko Taro finally get the dev team it deserves. Its just that its competing with an RPG that will take over 80-100+ hours from start to the end and managed to get you interested all the way, Zelda's magnum opus, and not to mention Horizon Zero Dawn too. The competition for this year is just too strong. I'm already grateful Cuphead does not snatch best OST from this because this game deserves an award. And Cuphead wins on other categories anyway.

Although Nier is the one that have most impact on me, Persona 5 is the one I want to replay more and more just because its a very enjoyable game.

And I would like to stop here so to not make a game debate threads

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Aww, see guys, the box unit wasn't destroying his memories.

It was just torturing him with them, because the machine higher ups are dicks (unlike their creators, who are dicks.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At this point it might have been a mercy to have done that to 9S. He is finally broken enough that there isn't that much left to hurt anymore.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, when 2B died, were you at the same level these clones are at?

Seems like the type of attention to detail :yokotaro: might throw in.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

KamikazePotato posted:

BotW is wonderful but Nier:A slightly edges it out for me as my personal goty choice.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

Aww, see guys, the box unit wasn't destroying his memories.

It was just torturing him with them, because the machine higher ups are dicks (unlike their creators, who are dicks.)

It’s dicks, all the way down.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

wiegieman posted:

Oh my God, the network are just relentless assholes

Honestly this scene was what I was talking about earlier when I asked what 9S ever did to deserve this from the network. I mean, I know he has the Cardinal Sin of existing in a :yokotaro: game, but dear loving God.

Also once again the voice acting was brilliant, props to Kyle for making sure the players could quite literally hear the last vestiges of 9S' sanity crumble away because of this.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Surely that was the last thing the machine network can do to gently caress with 9S...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

...! posted:

Surely that was the last thing the machine network can do to gently caress with 9S...

Why did you light the Yoko signal?
Nothing good comes out of lighting the Yoko signal.

E:
Yeah mad props to Kyle for absolutely nailing the transition from 9 Scout to 9 Caim.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh jeez that laugh. :(

Really starting to wonder too just what the hell is motivating the machine network here. I had a theory before when the virus first showed up that it was all going to turn out to be related to what he did in the Route A ending, but what they're doing with these towers goes far beyond that and would have taken preplanning and massive amounts of resources.

...I was half expecting A2 to wander in again and shank the last 2B model in front of him...

• Locked thread