Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zoe posted:

That segment looked like fun. (well, fun to watch anyway. Not sure about actually playing...) Why can't these two just go be battle buddies together and get over their various issues with machine murder therapy? :(

...although yes, I was wondering what the hell A2's motive was for being up there in the first place too. 'Just felt like it, no reason' seems pretty weak and it's harder to excuse when we all know some really tragic poo poo is about to go down.

Meanwhile all the stuff the spider bots were saying was making me think of the story of Beepy the robot messiah.

Maybe she was looking for 9S? That seems to be half the reason she goes anywhere during this chapter, fulfilling 2B's dying wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Ancient Chinese philosophers, huh? Yoko Taro - some hotshot.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Zoe posted:

...although yes, I was wondering what the hell A2's motive was for being up there in the first place too. 'Just felt like it, no reason' seems pretty weak and it's harder to excuse when we all know some really tragic poo poo is about to go down.

Well, sorry to say then that, unless the game says otherwise, she's there for the reason we were shown: The network broadcasted that the tower was unlocked, she went to check it out, and found the door open. That's pretty much it.

The Dark Id posted:

I suppose a proper boss fight since it’s bring a bit more to the table

Unlike most Linked-sphere Types, there are real easy to take down

You didn’t think we were going to close out NieR: Automata with at least one more shmup sequence.

every couple of minutes the action will switch over to 9S and who is still fighting Ro-Shi

We now switch a behind-the-back camera perspective

I mean A2 did mention she needs to kill them all the beginning of the fight.

A2 can’t seem to seal the deal on destroy Ko-Shi.

unless another pit swallows 9S up and drops him to the bottom of the Tower, we’re gonna avoid that

For 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 - "these", "without", "switch to a", "at the beginning", and "we're not gonna"

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zagglezig posted:

Well, sorry to say then that, unless the game says otherwise, she's there for the reason we were shown: The network broadcasted that the tower was unlocked, she went to check it out, and found the door open. That's pretty much it.

A2 is such an idiot that she accidentally showed up for the climax of her own game.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I find something darkly humorous in the Red Girls having a moment of introspection, finding out they disagree on something, and destroying each other because A2 wasn't distracting them by futilely swiping at their projections.

As for the most recent update, I noticed that A2 fought a machine named after Confucius, who advocated fixed social structures and self-discipline, while 9S's opponent was named after Laozi, who encouraged a more flexible way of life. Appropriate, since A2's been freewheeling for years. Not sure how 9S would be opposed to Laozi's teachings, though.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Supersonic Shine posted:

I find something darkly humorous in the Red Girls having a moment of introspection, finding out they disagree on something, and destroying each other because A2 wasn't distracting them by futilely swiping at their projections.

I mean that is basically human history on fast forward.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I am glad that Master Roshi finally learned the fusion dance :goku:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The presentation of this fight is really awesome but sadly this is also one of the points where the game's general lack of difficulty really makes itself obvious. These two guys just aren't much of a threat at all.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Probably my favorite part of the game from sheer presentation alone. Not terribly difficult, but still blood pumping with Bipolar Nightmare's help.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the boy in short pants have to clear four temples first the last time somebody fought Majora's Mask?

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

The presentation of this fight is really awesome but sadly this is also one of the points where the game's general lack of difficulty really makes itself obvious. These two guys just aren't much of a threat at all.

There are like no checkpoints in the Tower so it would REALLY suck if you died here, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The presentation of this fight is awesome, but I really wish it wasn't just Another Spider Mech.

None of the bosses live up to that preview footage of Simone, not even the finished Simone fight. And we know Platinum can do better!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cmon A2 team up with the machine to kick 9S's rear end

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So... team-up? For old time's sake?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
If nothing else, this bossfight is probably the second coolest moment in the game thus far, right after the title drop + bunker explosion

The constant shift between perspectives is really loving awesome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The music during this section is awesome.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

If nothing else, this bossfight is probably the second coolest moment in the game thus far, right after the title drop + bunker explosion

The constant shift between perspectives is really loving awesome.

Yeah the presentation is top notch and the perspective switches are on point and feel natural. It’s just a shame it’s not a challenging fight unless you’re playing on hard or very hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They're just spider-robots trying to comprehend the nature of humanity and deal with their own sentience.

Wait, they are Tachikomas :stare:.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
There's a lot of interesting subtleties going on here that I like. It's clear that the spider-bots are designed based on the machines' records of Beepy's final form from the picture book, and Ro-Shi's statement that the machines will soar through the sky implies that at least a certain amount of the network wishes to repeat that event (I have a feeling the tower's purpose may be related to that). However, the androids lack any sort of knowledge of Mega-Beepy. This makes sense, the machine lifeforms share knowledge instantly over their network (given how Earth has been their turf this whole time, it's likely that even with those immediately nearby getting disconnected mid-way through the scene, they were able to figure out the rest of what went down since they have eyes everywhere), while androids have to deliberately upload their memories (which, by the way, I haven't seen anyone point this out, but this means that one of the biggest differences between androids and machine lifeforms is that machine lifeforms have auto-save), and since all androids present peaced out with Beepy, there was nobody left to spread the word (actually, even if there were, those in command could just purge their memories since they're not a hive mind).

Also, when Ro-Shi asks "Why do you live? Why do we exist?" I think this is more a direct indictment of 9S' worldview up to this point. I think that Ro-Shi isn't asking after the meaning of existence or whatever, but is rather asking why 9S defines androids as "living" (in this case, meaning having agency, inherent worth, and so on) and machine lifeforms as just "existing" ("there's no meaning to anything they do").

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
late to the party but d&p prime also did nothing wrong

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 20, 2017

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
Honestly I always enjoy this boss fight, it's one of the best designed boss fights ever with the constant switching sides to take them down. The intensity is real if you're not overleveled (and if you play on Hard, because why not) /o/

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
BTW the NieR:Automata Arranged & Unreleased Tracks soundtrack came out today
got some cool remixes and the official versions of the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE/BECOME AS GODS music

also has 2 spoiler tracks on there tho, (605 and 606)
good thing I cant read japanese

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ratoslov posted:

A2 is such an idiot that she accidentally showed up for the climax of her own game.

You know, when Id first mentioned A2 was incompetent in the stage play I had a really hard time believing it. But now I can totally see it. :v:

Supersonic Shine posted:

I love that it's a microcosm of internet threads devolving into slapfights. :allears:

Supersonic Shine posted:

As for the most recent update, I noticed that A2 fought a machine named after Confucius, who advocated fixed social structures and self-discipline, while 9S's opponent was named after Laozi, who encouraged a more flexible way of life. Appropriate, since A2's been freewheeling for years. Not sure how 9S would be opposed to Laozi's teachings, though.

Maybe it wants 9S to chill the hell out, stop his quest for vengeance and maybe try to find some other meaning to his life?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ryas posted:

There are like no checkpoints in the Tower so it would REALLY suck if you died here, though.

the game auto-checkpoints, and also you're allowed to make an actual full save in between the library and the red girl sequence from the last update

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A couple of people seem to be confused about Beepy. Beepy wasn't a machine lifeform; he and the friends he took into space were robots created by humans.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That fight doesn't quite play as well as it looks but it's still pretty great. This game is kinda good.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

...! posted:

A couple of people seem to be confused about Beepy. Beepy wasn't a machine lifeform; he and the friends he took into space were robots created by humans.

Except on his way out, he encountered a bunch of machine lifeforms and androids that were fighting, and he made them all self-aware, becoming a god figure to the machines (as mentioned during Route B and explained by Id's subsequent post). Granted, the affected androids may not have peaced off into space with Beepy, and may have just been silenced in some other fashion by the higher-ups in the android heirarchy, but one way or another (and more to my point), Beepy had a lasting influence on machine culture due to their hive mind broadcasting the information immediately, while the same information was never disseminated among the other androids during their software updates, underscoring the fundamental differences between the two as well as the narrative importance of the whole "NO AUTOSAVE" thing (i.e., the instant storage of memories that autosave would represent is something that machine lifeforms do and androids don't).

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
this was just released:

https://hlj.com/product/ENX33496/

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh dear. I can't help but imagine that there's a :yokotaro: surprise inside, akin to this.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh dear. I can't help but imagine that there's a :yokotaro: surprise inside, akin to this.

Remove the face to reveal inexplicable set of teeth.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
When you press it, it plays a soundbite of Eve yelling "Brother!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EclecticTastes posted:

It's flammable, so it can BECOME AS GODS.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXXV: Official Designation

Video: Click to watch update contents.

Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

Welcome to the penultimate fight of NieR: Automata’s Route C – the previous two bosses welded together and with creepy giant robot hands bolted on the sides. Sure... Why not? I’ve seen worse.

Despite both Ro-Shi and Ko-Shi both being nearly destroyed in their respective fights, their combo has full HP at its disposal. But that’s not too much of an issue. Especially given this fight’s gimmick. A2 and 9S are both present and aren’t very fond of machine lifeforms. 9S is initially helping out as an AI ally set to all-out attack mode. However...

...we will also swap back and forth between both androids during the fight at regular damage threshold intervals. Which might sound jarring, but in practice it works pretty well since it’s a giant dipshit looking machine the camera is always focused on and the AI is set to be attacking in a similar fashion to what you’re doing (i.e. if you’re at range, it’ll stay at range. If you’re up in its grill, so will it.)

Most of Ko/Ro’s attacks involve spinning around like an idiot. Moving slowly about the arena while doing so is option. Its spinning comes in two flavors. The first is extending a Link-sphere tail out of its robutt to extend the range of its spin attack. It remains in a stationary position for this one.

The second method is slamming its two big ol’ hands into the ground and grinding those down during its twirling. This spin-attack will travel around the arena in 9S and A2’s general direction. Weirdly, that’s one of the only direct attacks the hands are used for in its toolset.

KoRo naturally has a ground pound attack. You cannot have a giant awkwardly constructed spherical boss and not give it a ground pound. That’s just science.

A rather questionable attack in its arsenal is pooping out a bunch of spherical machine lifeforms. Don’t ask me why they gave Ro-Shi and Ko-Shi a birthing hole. There’s no meaning behind anything the machines do...

That’s not true at all, actually. These spherical machines are actually self-destructing units that will begin beeping and roll after our androids in an attempt to detonate in their faces. RoKo just has itself a hoot in the background spinning and shooting energy orbs while quickly trying to queue up a MIDI of Yakety Sax.

At close range the final machine lifeform boss utilizes a lunging attack with its axe arms. It also has a variant of this that creates a shockwave at mid-range. C’mon guys. That has never worked across all four iterations of you spider-mechs.

Finally, it can just start shooting energy orbs. Of course it can. Everything can shoot energy orbs in the NieR version of earth. All the machines and androids could be wiped out today and by next Friday the moose will have evolved to take up the mantle of energy orb shooting duties.

That’s about it for Ko-Shi & Ro-Shi. Let’s be real... the last actually dangers enemy was that garbage with Hegel back in the early part of Route C.

Music: ENDS

Pod!

9S never did care much about danger close even when he didn’t want to actively kill the person in the range of friendly fire.

Speaking of that... That’s it for the machine lifeforms being enemies. Ro-Shi and Ko-Shi was their last line of defense at the top of the Tower. Which means there is only one last conflict left to resolve...

This tower is a giant cannon that’s aimed at the human server on the moon. If we don’t do something, all of humanity’s remaining data will be destroyed.
Ha ha ha... ha ha ha hah!

Music: Widespread Illness

So what? None of it matters. Or didn’t you know? We aren’t required in this world anymore. Humanity is extinct. That moon server you’re so worried about was invented to give us androids something to fight for. And YoRHa was created to perpetuate the lie. But in order to make sure no one ever learned the truth, we were DESIGNED to be killed. They built a back door in the Bunker and programmed it to activate after a certain amount of time. The Commander? Me? 2B? Sacrificial lambs. All of us. Isn’t that HILARIOUS!? Doesn’t it make you LAUGH!?
9S, we—
Shut up!
You killed 2B. That’s all we need to kill each other.
2B hated to keep killing you. It caused her so much pain.
The 9S type is a high-end model. They knew you’d discover the truth eventually. But the model designation “2B” was just a cover.

The official designation... is 2E. Number 2, Type E.

They were a special class of members designated to execute YoRHa units.

These are honestly kind of bad examples of 2B murdering 9S considering circumstances. But I don’t think a comical series of events where 9S keeps looking up some wiki articles about the plot of NieR 1 and going “say... it makes no sense humans are still alive” only to immediately get pushed down a flight of stairs or tossed out an airlock by 2B would be an appropriate sequence at this juncture.

But you knew that... Right, 9S?

Shut up... Shut up!

What do you know? You don’t know anything about us!

Proposal: Cease combat. Fighting her at this point would be irrational and—
Pod 153! I order you to halt all logical thought and speech! This order shall remain in effect until you confirm the death of either myself or unit A2!

<floats away>

Welp... This is going about as well as expected. 9S already used his Hackerman skills on the Logic Virus when he fixed 2B. Remember, you can only do one weird trick to beat the Logic Virus exactly once before it adapts. So here we are!

And so...

Tune in next time for the only actual meaningful choice in the game and the final battle of NieR: Automata! Or one of ‘em, at least... No spoiling which choice leads to Ending C.

Video: Episode 135 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this.)

Ro-Shi and Ko-Shi Concept Art – If I never see another spider-mecha ever again it’ll be too soon.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 21, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well we are getting pretty close to peak :yokotaro:.

Poor androids, we knew thee well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

9s should get some rest. His eyes are a bit red

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a game of laughter

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I order everyone itt to halt all logical thought and speech.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
If you haven't, you definitely need to watch the highlights video. It's been said before, but 9S' voice actor does a fantastic job with the crazy ranting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

We're goons, it's already happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Well, THIS is going to be a fun report to Pod 042...

• Locked thread