Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, this update should make 2B's whole "emotions are prohibited" thing make sense. A lot of other YoRHa androids showed plenty of emotion throughout the game (especially 6O) so 2B was clearly lying about it being a rule. 2B herself slipped a few times, the most obvious of which were her breakdown at having to kill 9S at the end of route A, her jealousy when 9S helps out the pretty type-E android, and her being upset when 9S lost his most recent memories when they exploded their black boxes.

It's clear that 2B has been very attached to 9S for a very long period of time and resents being assigned to assassinate him and cause him to lose his memories. She's essentially murdering the 9S she knows and then gets a "new" 9S who doesn't remember her. Then she gets close to him again and then has to murder him again. It's a neverending cycle that has to be taking a tremendous emotional/psychological toll on her. She can't even talk to or unburden herself to other androids about it since she's required to keep her true identity to herself.

So she now tries to prevent herself and the "new" 9S from becoming close with the whole "emotions are prohibited" thing but she fails miserably at it. And despite her insisting that his "Nines" nickname is stupid, it's highly likely that she's actually the one who came up with it when she was paired with one of his previous selves. Using that nickname now would just be too traumatizing for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

...! posted:

And despite her insisting that his "Nines" nickname is stupid, it's highly likely that she's actually the one who came up with it when she was paired with one of his previous selves. Using that nickname now would just be too traumatizing for her.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of that possibility. It puts the slip ups from earlier in a different perspective. 2B wasn't trying the nickname out, she was slipping up and not quite able to keep herself from saying it.

Seriously fucks me up, man. :smith:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

...! posted:

So she now tries to prevent herself and the "new" 9S from becoming close with the whole "emotions are prohibited" thing but she fails miserably at it. And despite her insisting that his "Nines" nickname is stupid, it's highly likely that she's actually the one who came up with it when she was paired with one of his previous selves. Using that nickname now would just be too traumatizing for her.

Oh man. Oh man. I never even considered that but that seems so incredibly tragic that it has to be true, or at minimum an incredibly likely way that happened.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I disagree with that assessment; the nickname is way too corny for anyone other than 9S himself to come up with it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXXVI: Meaningless Code

Where were we...? Oh right... Picking who we were siding with for the final battle. This choice entirely dictates which ending we get. It’s entirely possible to get Ending D before Ending C. I did the first time I played. But we’re gonna stick with the proper order. Sorry, Nines. We’re betting on Team A2. She’s got the better Pod.

We’ve got to confirm this is the ending we want. No taker-backers. Yeah, we’re sure... I mean, until we unlock the Chapter Select right after this and could immediately do the other choice. Spoilers.

:siren: VIDEO: 9S BOSS BATTLE AND ENDING C :siren:
(You should probably watch this.)

Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

Time to kick YoRHa No.9 Type S’s rear end. It’s for his own good at this point. 9S is actually the way more interesting fight of the two options. He’d probably actually be kind of hard except for one weird dumb decision that makes both these final fights a joke...

He gets de-leveled down to Level 50 for absolutely no reason. It’s not some thematic leveling down due to 9S being all jacked by the Logic Virus. If we went with 9S then A2 would suddenly be Level 50 too. I honestly they just hosed up the numbers here considering both 21O and Ro/Ko-Shi were all a competitive Level 60 for their boss fights. I’ve talked enough about the level scaling disparity in this game that you should know a 12 Level advantage means 9S is turbo boned in this fight. Which is a shame since he’s got a bunch of unique abilities.

Chiefly, 9S can use a variety of Pod Programs (as well as Pod Gatling Fire) against us. Unfortunately, he isn’t just equipped with what we left him with while we were playing. He can swap between a decent amount of ‘em on the fly with seemingly no cooldown time. Cheater.

Messing around a bit and not instantly stomping his rear end in under a minute, Boss Fight 9S seems to favor the Slow Pod Program for some reason, even though he never came remotely close to using it properly. With Wave being a second favored one. Though he also pulled out Hammer, Laser and Bomb.

There is a good reason as to why he favors the Slow Pod Program. You think Hackerman forgot how to Hack just because he was going insane even before the viral infection? If A2 stays in place or fails to move very far, 9S can instantly hack her body and inflict a variety of status effects. A few of these are unique to this fight outside of a random chance of occurring when taking E-Drugs. 9S does start off with simple stuff like disabling A2’s FCS (i.e. no melee attacks.)

Proposal: Destroy YoRHa unit 9S.
drat it!

That’s ice cold, Pod 042. But then 9S starts pulling some real bullshit with hacking – such as screwing up A2’s hearing or pixelating the screen by damaging her aural and visual sensors. That’s just obnoxious.

If 9S is allowed to keep hacking A2, he’ll start being a real fucker with status effects. Movement System Abnormality reverses all of the movement controls. That’s cool, 9S. Nobody likes that gimmick. Especially when combined with All Systems Abnormal which... just randomizes all the button inputs completely. I think jump was like L2, heavy melee was O, light melee was god knows... L3 for all I know. These status effects all last for like 30 seconds and the controls persist in the quick menu. Good getting to that status ailment removing item when the controls are upside-down and you don’t know what button is confirm.

Not all of 9S’s hacking instantaneous. He will occasionally throw in some good ol’ fashion traditional hacking as well. If the sequence is failed, which it very well might be given the buggered controls persist in Hacking Space, then another status effect is inflicted and A2 takes some damage. Surviving it just briefly stuns 9S.

Thankfully, only two status effects can be activate at any one time. And also the part where you can clown 9S in about 45 seconds since A2 has a dozen levels over him now... So let’s just get to that part...

Music: ENDS

Gah!

9S everyone is creeped out by you grafting your dead partner’s clone’s arm onto your dismembered stump. Go look up the old human records about the fable of the Revolver Ocelot to learn why that is a terrible idea.

<sounds of having a very poor time>
Pod! Hack in!

At long last 9S literally gets dunked.

Affirmative.

Pod... We’re going to repair 9S’s logic circuits.
Acknowledged.

Music: Mourning

Tell me where to find the virus corrupting 9S.
Affirmative. YoRHa unit A2. Core data for 9S is stored ahead. Alert: Severe virus corruption. Probability of successful deletion extremely low.
I think I know a way...

The idea under consideration is not recommended. This Pod is a YoRHa Tactical Support Unit. As such, it cannot approve of actions that would damage its supported unit.
Heh. You’re not so bad, Pod. You know that?

There’s a whole labyrinthine structure of stairs to climb up and down, though it’s only a solitary path to our destination. Speaking of this representation of Hacking Space. You know we’ve seen inside 9S’s head a couple times already and how it’s represented when hacking.

...This ain’t it.

Music: ENDS

I’ll take care of everything...

Pod... Take care of 9S.

What of you, A2?
<tinny speaker voice> I’ve still got something I need to do... You go ahead.
Acknowledged. <flies away with 9S>

<happy children’s laughter>

<continued children’s laughter>
I’m sorry...

<silence>

Music: Weight of the World (Emi Evans Version)
(Hey go listen to this, idiot!)

I never quite realized... how beautiful this world is.

I’m coming, everyone... I’m... coming...

Welp... I mean, 9S might have made it... And at least Pod 042 was OK. That’s umm... pretty OK as far as survivors for a Yoko Taro game ending goes... Of course, there’s more after the credits.

Speaking of the credits, they’re in reverse this time. I mean, they still are displayed in the same order. They’re just coming from the top of the screen and scrolling towards the bottom. I’m sure there’s some deep lore reasoning behind that only Yoko Taro knows... Ya know, like what the hell YoRHa meant...

However, we’re not quite done. There is a post credits scene...

The machines have fallen. The androids are on their way out... The humans have long since vanished from this earth.

It’s time for a new party to step up and claim this dying world...

...At long last.

The eternally patient moose’s time...

...has finally arrived. See you in NieR 3! It’s about the evolved cyborg-moose species’ invasion into the Watcher’s home dimension to take the fight back to them after they ruined this planet. Coming Spring 2020. You heard it here first! LP Exclusive News!

This is, however, not the end of NieR: Automata or this LP. We’ve still got a couple of endgame sidequests to sort out, some supplementary material to cover, the DLC to burn through and two more proper endings to complete. Plus a whole bunch of junk that just unlocked with Ending C to go investigate.

Tune in next time as NieR: Automata continues. And have a happy holidays until then!

Video: 9S Battle and Ending C
(It’s one of the last endings. Of course go watch it!)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Drakengard!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I love the entire soundtrack but man does the emi Evans weight of the world really rank up there. It’s just so drat melancholic and fitting to this ending and this whole route.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
An ending that isn't full of hopeless despair.

Merry Christmas!

I like ending D more, personally.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:yokotaro:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Both end bosses are much better if you blew through the game without doing any sidequests and end up on nearly the same level. Sadly N:A suffers from endemic problem of leveling systems: if you do the side stuff, the main stuff becomes trivial because it needs to be tuned for people who didn't.

I imagine the -Shis are 60 because their mechanics are much simpler.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Weeble posted:

An ending that isn't full of hopeless despair.

Merry Christmas!

I like ending D more, personally.

Well, I can't imagine it was that happy an ending for 9S. Poor guy just had everyone die on him, and he wasn't even allowed to join the fun.

Plus, now he's sober. That's gotta be awkward.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

Where were we...? Oh right... Picking who we were siding with for the final battle. This choice entirely dictates which ending we get. It’s entirely possible to get Ending D before Ending C. I did the first time I played.

What the gently caress. I was certain no one had ever picked 9S first here. He's a rabid dog who needs to be put down. Nothing good could possibly come from choosing him over A2 here. Also he's still a dweeb. What the hell were you thinking?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It's technically possible, but no one has ever done it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

What the gently caress. I was certain no one had ever picked 9S first here. He's a rabid dog who needs to be put down. Nothing good could possibly come from choosing him over A2 here. Also he's still a dweeb. What the hell were you thinking?

Well, the game says only "Make your choice." I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume an immediate "LOL you were actually making your choice of who dies horribly :yokotaro:"

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I did too. 9S owns. :colbert:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It's alright, you can't be racist against machines. They only think they have feelings!

Animated pixels on my screen representing machines disguised as androids that keep trying to emulate meat puppets. Only the tears are real. :(

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It only hurts you if you let it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
THE TIME OF HUMANS AND ANDROIDS ARE OVER

THE TIME OF MOOSE IS NOW

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

FisheyStix posted:

I did too. 9S owns. :colbert:

Yeah, same reason I exhausted the 9S options at the start of C before adventuring with A2. And at this point I knew A2 was mostly a weird murder hobo, so I was definitely gonna help him get his ending over hers. I did know about the chapter select coming immediately, but I still would have chosen 9S even if I thought it was a permanent, no coming back from choice.

9S is great, even if he is insane by the end of the game. :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It only hurts you if you let it.

Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm sorry I have no idea what any of that meant or what happened.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it time for exegesis yet.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Huh, I was actually expecting Ending C to be the 9S ending, rather than A2. For one thing, claiming poo poo is meaningless was kind of 9S' whole thing so the ending's title (previously displayed after Route B) fit, and since C is the lower letter, it's clearly further away from the true ending, and I thought siding with the logic virus-infected murderous crazyshorts would result in a "less true" ending. Though, Id did say 9S was the actual main character all along, I guess it turns out that wasn't a joke.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I helped A2 because she wasn't crazy, kthx.

But yes, I think "pick which of your PCs you are going to MURDER" is some kind of new :yokotaro:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

So, I meant to post this after the previous update, in regards to the -Shi fight. The constant switching makes the fight INSANELY quick to breeze though, if you happen to be like me and pop B-mode with A2 during one of her segments, only to switch to 9S...and then watch while you start a hack, as A2 remains in B-Mode and RIPS APART that health bar, thanks to the AI not having to worry about health until the fight shifts, all while still being healed from the various healing chips I had slotted with her.

And I'll admit it, I picked 9S first....because I wanted to get his ending out of the way before I ended things as A2. Once I started the back and forth, my thought process went 'OK, rush though 9S's crap, then get back to A2 and take your time', so, the same went into the ending.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Look, if your attitude while playing this isn't :regd08: I have no idea how you're enjoying this.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The Android-Machine Wars are over.

The Moose-Boar Wars are just beginning.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Too many remaining living, sapient beings for my taste.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Sandman posted:

The Android-Machine Wars are over.

The Moose-Boar Wars are just beginning.

I don't even want to imagine Watership Down as written by Yoko Taro.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

euphronius posted:

A2 had an interaction with another person that didn't involve her killing them or them otherwise dying and realized that maybe life isn't completely meaningless after all. :unsmith:

And then she died. :yokotaro:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
By the way, that line about how beautiful the world is? If you sit at the menu screen for a while, the game plays an incredibly spoiler-filled trailer (that somehow doesn't spoil anything because zero context) which includes that line and a bunch of scenes from this Tower sequence.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

THE TIME OF HUMANS AND ANDROIDS ARE OVER

THE TIME OF MOOSE IS NOW

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

euphronius posted:

Same. I guess she de-infected him and the effort was too much for her, but that's just a guess.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"You're going to deploy unit 9S again?!"
"This time, for sure! Presto!"
*Command explodes*

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ultrafilter posted:

Same. I guess she de-infected him and the effort was too much for her, but that's just a guess.
I guess she took the virus herself to save him, then ordered the tower to self-destruct.

The A2 part of her wants to die and stop the machines and the 2B part wants to save him, so everybody won! Happy ending! :buddy:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 22, 2017

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

I've beaten the game and still don't really understand exactly what happens in Ending C. It's vague as all hell.

No exegesis yes. There's still some video game left.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I wish this game had more hugs. 9S seems like he could really use one.

Edit: Also A2 and 2B. And the pods. Definitely Pascal.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 22, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'm guessing most people picked to fight 9S first, because at this point he's basically a rabid dog that needs to be Old Yeller'd. To me it felt like he's much more fitting for a final boss fight, rather than the increasingly-actual-JRPG-hero-like A2.

Anyway, I for one welcome our new moose overl- :commissar:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Well the trailer already showed the endings are "meaningless [c]ode" and "childhoo[d]s end." Not real tough figuring out who gets which. I think the trickiest part is the phrase for ending D starts with the letter C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm pretty sure A2 destroys whatever system is keeping the tower operational, and dies when it crumbles.

• Locked thread