Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A surprisingly murderous child... :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FailAtMagic posted:

Yes 9S is alive, but all the machines are dead so the androids don't need a reason to fight anymore.

The machines being entirely killed off is actually the worst possible outcome, since it would mean that the Resistance gets to cheer and excitedly tell the humans on the moon that they can come back to Earth!

Then it's just a matter of time before the truth comes out and every android is suicidally depressed. I'd bet on a civil war, too, when they (we) inevitably turn on each other.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't even want to imagine Watership Down as written by Yoko Taro.

It's called The Builders.

Actually I bet KJ Parker and Taro would get on pretty well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I picked A2 first because hacking or no hacking, no way could 9S beat her in a fight.

Plus I really wanted to kick his rear end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hope so for Platinum's sake! A bunch of licensed stuff they did for Activision was yanked globally a day or so back, so that's a chunk less income in time for sale season.

It was? Why?

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

It was? Why?

Activision hates money?

Honestly who knows. Seems like it's a licensing thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When licensed things are pulled, it's almost always because they've reached the end of the contract period and they didn't renew. It'd be safe to assume that if they didn't renew, they've done the math and research and figured out it's not worth renewing even including sale income.

If you want to reason even further into the rabbit hole, there's also a possibility that they need to re-license several components of the game and they're not able to do so anymore.

So basically, I'd wager it's because Activision actually love money and they'd have more money by not spending it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Apparently license holders usually also get very little/almost no notice whatsoever their license is about to expire, so that's why a fair amount of licensed games get pulled out of seemingly nowhere with basically no fanfare or even a sale.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also I highly doubt that Platinum was making any residuals from the licensed games they made for Activision. They probably got paid a lump sum or something for making each of those games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So basically, I'd wager it's because Activision actually love money and they'd have more money by not spending it.

That's a relief. These days when I hear about things getting pulled my first thought is "great, another of my heroes did something nasty, didn't they."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So many PS3 things got suddenly pulled from the PSN for licensing reasons that it's not funny. The ones I remember are:

Catan (this was only available for two or three months then the publisher went bankrupt, voiding the license)
X-Men Arcade (the license with Marvel expired)
Some DLC for various Marvel games
The Europe-only Outrun game (the license with Ferrari expired)

There were various others that I can't remember. With one specific exception, if you bought these things before they were pulled then you can still redownload them until the end of time. I can't remember which game is the exception but a huge deal was made of it at the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...! posted:

So many PS3 things got suddenly pulled from the PSN for licensing reasons that it's not funny. The ones I remember are:

Catan (this was only available for two or three months then the publisher went bankrupt, voiding the license)

There were various others that I can't remember. With one specific exception, if you bought these things before they were pulled then you can still redownload them until the end of time. I can't remember which game is the exception but a huge deal was made of it at the time.

Are you thinking of PT, the Silent Hills demo?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

EclecticTastes posted:

A. There's no confirmation on that, all that's known is that the machines' network appears to have been wrecked.

B. It was never about a reason to fight, it was about a reason to live. The androids became despondent as soon as it looked like humans were going extinct, according to one of the archive files, and telling them the humans really just went to a farm upstate the moon is what kept them from completely giving up on life.

So basically this leaves Jackass to rally the remaining survivors and create a new society.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

ImpAtom posted:

Are you thinking of PT, the Silent Hills demo?

Yeah, I think I am. Fortunately, despite Sony's intention on that it's still possible to download it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's called The Builders.

Actually I bet KJ Parker and Taro would get on pretty well.

I think large chunks of Watership Down would already work for Yoko Taro. It is, uh, not always a happy book.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Qrr posted:

I think large chunks of Watership Down would already work for Yoko Taro. It is, uh, not always a happy book.

Shardik would be a better choice for Yoko Taro, it's already got a bunch of horrible things happening to people and especially children in it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Andyzero posted:

So basically this leaves Jackass to rally the remaining survivors and create a new society.

So what you're saying is that Nier: Automata was a stealth prequel to Crash Test Dummies all along.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Endings Achieved:
flowers for mAchines
or not to Be
meaningless Code
mission Failed
hunGry for knowledge
a mountain too High
no I in team
bad Judgment
aji wo Kutta
Lone wolf
break tiMe
No man's village
just yOu and me
corruPtion
Questionable actions
maveRick
city eScape
faTal error
debUnked
reckless braVery
broken Wings
time to relaX
overZealous

Three left.
No one stops.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
...I'm kind of hoping ending E turns out to be "rhythm in the skiEs".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
thE aristocrats!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

...! posted:

Yeah, I think I am. Fortunately, despite Sony's intention on that it's still possible to download it.

It's possible to redownload it, but if you didn't have a PS4 at the time it was released and didn't download it then I have no idea how you'd do it now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Something that I really enjoyed at this point in the game but which I’m not sure comes through as much in LP format was the whole structure of accelerating POV switches. The first time it switches it’s like 10-20 hours per POV, then it’s maybe a few hours, and eventually you’re switching like every 10-20 seconds, all building up to that choice of who to go with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

...! posted:

JoJo Heritage for the Future got pulled from Xbox and PSN a long while back though I'm kinda sure that nowadays with JoJo being pretty popular and well known, that one might make money if they could get it back up.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 23, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A surprisingly murderous child... :thunk:

What, have you not read Lord of the Flies or something?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Organza Quiz posted:

Something that I really enjoyed at this point in the game but which I’m not sure comes through as much in LP format was the whole structure of accelerating POV switches. The first time it switches it’s like 10-20 hours per POV, then it’s maybe a few hours, and eventually you’re switching like every 10-20 seconds, all building up to that choice of who to go with.
Yeah, it's one of the most effective buildups to a final battle I've ever seen in a game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
You know, it just occurred to me, the game keeps making you listen to the end credits, each time in a different language, which would naturally make you pay more attention. That sort of thing would be pretty solid preparation if, say, the game was planning to make you engage in a rhythm battle over that same track. :tinfoil:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

EclecticTastes posted:

You know, it just occurred to me, the game keeps making you listen to the end credits, each time in a different language, which would naturally make you pay more attention. That sort of thing would be pretty solid preparation if, say, the game was planning to make you engage in a rhythm battle over that same track. :tinfoil:

No god. No.

No.

NOOO.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The theoretical rhythm battle is to be performed at the same tempo as the joke endings :getin:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dance Like [Y]ou Want To Win.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 23, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

kw0134 posted:

The theoretical rhythm battle is to be performed at the same tempo as the joke endings :getin:
That's the hard mode required to unlock the true final ending.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

kw0134 posted:

Backwards, like that one game called... Retro/Grade?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Alaan posted:

Dance Like [Y]ou Want To Win.

Stomp the YoHaRd (yes I know its YoRHa).

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

EclecticTastes posted:

All joking aside I'm still fully expecting things to go all Yoko Taro on us at the last ending. Not expecting a rhythm battle though, Nier is more about being completely wrong and loving everything up, if only someone had bothered explaining things, whoops.

Although if we get another 'but the bad guys were the REAL good guys, all along, and the protagonists doomed them all' ending I'll be mildly disappointed. Feels like we're waiting for another shoe to drop in regards to what the machine network was actually trying to do however, as firing a cannon at the moon is pointless and they'd know it and they'd know 9S knew it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think at this point any last knife twist will be of a personal nature to one of protagonists. The humans are gone, the aliens are gone, the Wars have all been pointless.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Video: NieR: Automata Intro

Technically this still spoils a bit of dialogue we've not seen. But... close enough...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lmao all the spoilers in that video

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What does the angelic text at the end say?

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
"Spoliers, lol" is my guess.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what is the plan with the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's zero context for any of it so I guess it's like a movie trailer? poo poo happens and things explode but you don't know how or why. Take that scene where A2 and 9S meet up while the boss fuses, I would have guessed it's a meeting of allies before a showdown with the boss who's busily doing its thing, not two droids who are about to kill each other but for this stupid machine thing in the background.

• Locked thread